• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Ravinsild

Zombie
Jun 1, 2022
Yeah, I had mis-read the "Bonds of Battle" rule, not noticed it didn't apply to cavalry. I was excited about the possibility of getting more than about 4 knights into combat range...!
Straight up you don’t even need anything special. Units of 2-5 needs only be within 1” of one another horizontally so all 5 can be side by side and fight just the same.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Yep, OBR really needs a new battletome! But doesnt look like they get one before next yeah. Same with FEC...

Yeah, no more Death battletomes this year. Kind of unfortunate, but there aren't that many Death factions to begin with, & soulblight are also super recent, so it's not exactly surprising.

Reactions: The Sun King

eatU4myT

Skeleton
Feb 8, 2022
Straight up you don’t even need anything special. Units of 2-5 needs only be within 1” of one another horizontally so all 5 can be side by side and fight just the same.
Oh yeah, sure for coherency it is not a problem. But when I first read Bonds of Battle I was imagining being able to channel 30 blood knight attacks into the same frontage as 4 or 5 knights... Oh well, we can dream! Don't think there is anything in Soulblight that actually benefits from that rule in the end other than dire wolves (battleline, don't have a mount, base is bigger than 25mm).

I mean, I guess if you were the sort of bonkers person who was taking reinforced units of Vargheists they would for sure also benefit, but...

Last edited:

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Oh yeah, sure for coherency it is not a problem. But when I first read Bonds of Battle I was imagining being able to channel 30 blood knight attacks into the same frontage as 4 or 5 knights... Oh well, we can dream! Don't think there is anything in Soulblight that actually benefits from that rule in the end other than dire wolves (battleline, don't have a mount, base is bigger than 25mm).

I mean, I guess if you were the sort of bonkers person who was taking reinforced units of Vargheists they would for sure also benefit, but...

Well, if I'm not wrong you can still use units of 5 blood knights as battleline with Kastelai and put them in a Bounty Hunter battalion, and dish some real pain to galletian veterans.

eatU4myT

Skeleton
Feb 8, 2022
Well, if I'm not wrong you can still use units of 5 blood knights as battleline with Kastelai and put them in a Bounty Hunter battalion, and dish some real pain to galletian veterans.
Yeah, but think how much more pain it would be if they were units of 10...!

...ok, I'm done now....

I guess the thing is, we already knew there were strong Kastelai lists with units of 5 knights as battleline, so the excitement about a possible way to routinely get units of 10 into combat in a useful way was just too much for me!

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
I think pretty much everybody expects galatian vets to be a trial run for 'over the shoulder' attacks becoming a standard thing going forward. If that indeed comes to pass, then I could see 10 man blood knight units being a thing. Probably not as much of a thing as 2x5 models, which is just more versatile, especially since our biggest buffs are for summonable units only so we don't get that much extra punch out of reinforcing non-summonable units.

Sadly, I don't think 10 model black knights will ever be a thing under the current battletome. They just don't punch hard enough to make punching with twice as many a big deal, even with summonable buffs. Most of what little impact they do have comes from the mortal wounds on the charge, which is per unit not per model and thus specifically discourages reinforcement compared to MSU.

We'll see, though. That's all just speculation about future rule changes.

eatU4myT

Skeleton
Feb 8, 2022
I think pretty much everybody expects galatian vets to be a trial run for 'over the shoulder' attacks becoming a standard thing going forward. If that indeed comes to pass, then I could see 10 man blood knight units being a thing. Probably not as much of a thing as 2x5 models, which is just more versatile, especially since our biggest buffs are for summonable units only so we don't get that much extra punch out of reinforcing non-summonable units.

Sadly, I don't think 10 model black knights will ever be a thing under the current battletome. They just don't punch hard enough to make punching with twice as many a big deal, even with summonable buffs. Most of what little impact they do have comes from the mortal wounds on the charge, which is per unit not per model and thus specifically discourages reinforcement compared to MSU.

We'll see, though. That's all just speculation about future rule changes.
Definitely true re: black knights, as they exist at the moment they will only ever be a fast chaff unit regardless of how big you make the unit.

The only reason why 10 man blood knight units would become a thing, even supposing that they did get the chance to attack from behind each other, would be because you could get 30 into a 3 troop choices battalion that way. Units of 5 will always be more flexible, but you'd only ever get 15 into the battalion.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
New FAQ just out. I dont see much change that we didn't get with the recent Battlescroll except that the Nighthaunt endless spell Terminexus Mortalis got buffed from 12" to 18" range.

• Haha
Reactions: Grave Tacticus

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
However, I think the FAQ is a mistake, it seems that they have posted the old warscrolls for the Nighthaunt spells, so let's see if the 18" sticks. It probably doesn't :)

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Very cool scenery. I wish we had seen Realm-of-Death themed terrain kits back in second edition the way we're getting Realm-of-Beasts stuff now. Oh well. More better scenery is a good thing, that's one of the very few aspects of the game that was far better in 1st edition than in second, so yeah, cool to see a bit more of a scenery push in 3rd, even if some of it has been sold in pretty awkward packages & price points.

• Love

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
New Rumour Engine pic:

71rcPDZlXWSE8J5t.jpg

Could be a chaos thing, ,but skeletons as decorations stuck in fur or hair /is/ a thing in some of ghoul models. Could this be something for Flesh Eater Courts?

We still haven't seen what either of these images go to either:

RE-6-15-2021.jpg

e72b24f6-rumor-engine-5-5-2020.jpg

Possible new FEC coming down the line? Maybe with a proper range expansion this time and not just one single redundant hero model?

We can only keep our fingers crossed, though if a propler FEC expansion is coming it won't be arriving this year. AoS Battletomes, at least what Grand Alliances they go with, have already been announced through the end of the year, and there were no more Death books in the schedule after Nighthaunts.

Still, maybe something early in 2023? FEC certainly need it, arguably even more than OBR. Yes OBR mechanics are very clunky and poorly fitting in 3e, but FEC tourny results have been even worse than those of OBR and the FEC model range is in far more desperate need of revision and expansion.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Woohoooo! Thanks for sharing Sception! I rarely check these rumour engines, so great you did!

Gotta finish painting up all my Nighthaunt and Soulblight before Christmas it seems like 🤩

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
At the risk of setting myself up for disappointment, I'm going to engage in some blatant speculation/wishlisting for these rumour engine pictures.

The first one, the skeleton caught in fur - whatever that fur belongs to is clearly much larger than a human skeleton. Could this be a first glimpse of the long desired plastic Varghulf?

The next two are a left and right arm, so lets just pretend they're the left and right arm of the same dude. In that case, we're looking at some sort of abhorrant - by the muscularity & proportions. It's positioned around some stonework - maybe sitting on a throne? In one hand it holds a skull, and in the other a sword, but it isn't weilding the sword, just holding it point down or resting the point on the ground, positioning GW generally uses to indicate a commander surveying the field rather than a soldier. Particularly if the figure is seated on a throne, this could be somebody important, more so even than the Abhorrant Archregent*. Are we maybe finally looking at a proper FEC named character to drive their presence in the overall setting narrative? Maybe the Carrion King himself?

Then again, standing against the latter interpretation, the sword /is/ a bit plain to belong to a mortarch (or even a former mortarch).

* which I'm still mad about - The archregent is a fine model & a strong unit, but the FEC range badly needed expansion so the first thing GW gives them was... a model that effectively obsoletes one of the few perfectly adequate units they already had?

Last edited:

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
We need FEC.

We really do. They have such a compelling concept in Age of Sigmar, and are thematically a perfect fit for 3rd editions focus on the Realm of Beasts, being easily the most bestial of the existing undead factions in their look and play style. Combine that with the fact that their model range has been in desperate need of expansion since first edition and that their current battletome is one of the 2nd edition books struggling the hardest with the transition to 3rd edition and a new FEC release absolutely cannot come soon enough.

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
The Cleansing Aqualith from the Realmscape: Thondian Strongpoint terrain set is going on preorder as a standalone piece of terrain next week. Ever since the terrain set was shown I was hoping it would be available as a standalone piece. I just love the design and the possibilities it offers. I hope to use it for a diorama - Abhorash standing in the middle, water painted as blood, and the heads on the statues converted to Blood Knight themed heads.

aq12345.jpg

Reactions: Unas the slayer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu