• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
The silhouettes of the leaders of these warcry warbands were initially thought by many, including myself, to be pity heroes for upcoming khorne and slaanesh aos releases, in accordance with the big 4chan rumor pile from a while back. That this was not the case doesn't disprove those rumors, but now that the seraphon release wave has been previewed, I don't think that lines up with the predicted releases either? Hard to say, I didn't save the whole pile, just the undead stuff, and now I can't find the source. If I'm right and the seraphon releases don't fit, then the reliability of the entire pile goes from pretty high to fairly low.

That said, the rumor pile not panning out isn't necessarily a good thing. While the rumor pile didn't predict a lot for death, it did predict more than just the lcd pity hero for FEC, plus an otherwise unexpected book update & a couple releases for Gravelords. 2023 is a crowded release year already, especially if you factor in 40k, where we're getting world eaters, expecting a major dark angels release, plus 10th edition. If the rumors can no longer be trusted, I think we're back to expecting mostly copy-paste books plus a pity hero only for FEC & OBR as the only main game AoS death releases this year.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
It also seems that they are only available to the armies who can't take the same units normally (probably a good call to avoid confusion).

There's only one for Death, with a corpse cart and zombies, though the rules may be different. It's implied that all of these 'regiments of renown' have a hero, so the corpse cart may be a hero variant.

Probably not available to Soulblight. So... which of the remaining Death armies would benefit? Hard to say without seeing the rules, but my first thought is that OBR might benefit access from a hoard of cheap chaff.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Warscroll out for our new vampires.

They're good and not so pricey! :) (well in point anyway :D)

12 wounds on 4+ for 180 pts, And the supercharged Hunger (as many wound heal than caused)

Enjoy :)
I like them. They are at a funny spot with decent survivability and decent damage output but maybe not a clearly defined role?

Since they are not single and not unique they can get reinforced and benefit from subfaction abilities, which could be potentially good.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
They seem relatively decent. I don't see anything tying them to a particular subfaction or barring them from subfaction benefits. There aren't many they'd benefit from, but Legion of Night could let them outflank/ambush, which could help with delivering them to combat.

Reactions: The Sun King

Kiba

Skeleton
Jun 20, 2013
I would probably play them but only as reinforced.

If I read their rules right, that would mean they give strike last on a 2+

Throw them at a big monster with something else killy enough to bring the monster low health and PAF perma buffed +1A and +3" mvt.

At that moment they become quite scary ;)

Gederas

Grave Guard
Jun 15, 2021
Rhode Island
I like them. They are at a funny spot with decent survivability and decent damage output but maybe not a clearly defined role?

Since they are not single and not unique they can get reinforced and benefit from subfaction abilities, which could be potentially good.
Their role is Monster hunters, based on that ability of theirs

Reactions: The Sun King

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
The issue is that (with the exception of the big heroes that counts as monsters) being a monster Hunter is not really something an army needs. Monsters are generally quite easy to bring down, so I don't value the extra benefits against them much.

Reactions: Oppenheimer

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
It might have been something needed in the latter days of 2e / earliest days of 3e. it could be a thing again if we see another monster-friendly ghb season or if one or more of the monster spam factions gets a particularly good book, especially sons of behemat. I don't see much need for it right now though. Still a decently fighty unit, I could see running these instead of grave guard or blood knights if you happen to like their aesthetic. I don't think they'll be a staple unit, but as a box game import it's probably better that they aren't.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
It is really an interesting unit. I think it will see play. Let’s do a little comparison.

A unit of 10 Grave Guards with Great Wight Blades costs 140 pts. For that you get: 10 wounds with a 5+ save, movement 4" and an average damage output of 10.3 wounds.

A unit of 8 Trueblades costs 180 pts. For that you get 20 wounds with a 4+ save, movement 6" and an average damage output of 6 wounds. You also get a really strong ability that gives the always strike last effect on a 4+.

The more I think about it the more I like the Trueblades. They are fast, they hit decently, and they are more tanky than they look. The biggest downside is that they are not Summonable. The Always Strike Last effect goes well with their tankiness because it means that if you kill off some enemy models before they strike you will get less incoming damage.

Last edited:

Kiba

Skeleton
Jun 20, 2013
It is really an interesting unit. I think it will see play. Let’s do a little comparison.

A unit of 10 Grave Guards with Great Wight Blades costs 140 pts. For that you get: 10 wounds with a 5+ save, movement 4" and an average damage output of 10.3 wounds.

A unit of 8 Trueblades costs 180 pts. For that you get 19 wounds with a 4+ save, movement 6" and an average damage output of 6 wounds. You also get a really strong ability that gives the always strike last effect on a 4+.

The more I think about it the more I like the Trueblades. They are fast, they hit decently, and they are more tanky than they look. The biggest downside is that they are not Summonable. The Always Strike Last effect goes well with their tankiness because it means that if you kill off some enemy models before they strike you will get less incoming damage.
It's event better than that.

By default the ASL is not on 4+ but 3+.

Gut-wrenching Howl: The howl of a Curseblood resounds with the force of long-repressed bloodlust finally finding release, staggering even the bravest souls. At the end of the charge phase, if this unit includes any Cursebloods, you can pick 1 enemy unit within 1" of this unit and say that the Curseblood will unleash a gut-wrenching howl. If you do so, roll a dice. Add 1 to the roll for each Curseblood in this unit. On a 4+, the strike-last effect applies to that enemy unit in the following combat phase.

So by default 3+ and if the unit is reinforced 2+ ;)

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Yeah you’re right! I missed that! Interestingly it is better statistically to have two units doing the ability rather than doing it on a 2+ with a reinforced unit.

Reactions: Kiba

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Yeah you’re right! I missed that! Interestingly it is better statistically to have two units doing the ability rather than doing it on a 2+ with a reinforced unit.

saves a reinforcement that way, & you don't have to mess with converting or proxying a champ as a normal dude, and you can go after separate targets if relevant, and you might save some wounds on incoming damage due to overkill.

On the other hand buffs & command abilities won't go as far.

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Yeah, command points are always a valuable resource and sometimes it is worth it to reinforce units, also because you get to activate your whole unit before the opponent. MSU lists can struggle with the following sequence: You activate unit A to attack enemy unit. Then the remaining enemy unit will activate and attack your unit B before they have activated.

However with the Kurgan Trueblades there is further reasons to run them MSU and not reinforce. The extra champion will give you 2 extra wounds and 2 extra attacks.

Oppenheimer

Varghulf
May 26, 2013
Sorry, I'm confused. What's a Regiment of Renown? Last I heard those came from the Total War Warhammer game? We have battalions? How are they different than those? Seems to me that GW got rid of battalions in 3e and what they're just bringing them back now?

Gederas

Grave Guard
Jun 15, 2021
Rhode Island
Sorry, I'm confused. What's a Regiment of Renown? Last I heard those came from the Total War Warhammer game? We have battalions? How are they different than those? Seems to me that GW got rid of battalions in 3e and what they're just bringing them back now?
So for AoS Regiments of Renown are basically mercenary companies. Death (not available to Soulblight Gravelords mind you) gets Veremord's Shamblers, which is a Corpse Cart and 20 zombies with the above abilities that Count michael posted.

Basically, they're intended as fun little side things for an army of the same Grand Alliance

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Hrm. Can't even reinforce the zombies? And the cart doesn't get anything particularly heroic apart from the keyword? Honestly I'm not terribly impressed. I like the models for the cart and new zombies, so could be nice as a painting project, but I'm not sure it has much competitive relevance.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu