• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Bloodline Special Characters

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Again I have to disagree Todd. Giving Mannfred as an example again, he not only matches a lvel 4 wizard, but goes over that by quiter a bit, even though that would not be the normal traits of his bloodline.

However its upto the majority whether she should be included or not.

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood
Well, considering we have a severe deficit of Lahmian Lord-level characters...
Maybe we could include a character from one of the novels; one of the leaders of the Convent of Eternal Night and and Solace or that weird Lahmian crone that they ran into in The Vampire Wars.

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
I'm not to fond of the idea of using anyone from the TVC really as it is set mostly after the time of the fluff in the exsisting VC army book. Which i think these armies should line up with.

Right onto the fight for the Blood Dragon Lord (I feel like i'm fighting a losing battle here)... I'm with Walach, as the Blood Dragon list includes the option to take more knights of the Blood Keep which Walach is the leader of so it would make more sense to include him Imo.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Lesa is around 2500 years old xD She has been around a long time before the TVC. Still if people would prefer not to use her, then of course it is up to them.

Myself i have no problem with a lahmian that posseses strong magical powers. Special characters should be of types that do not really fit the mould for the normal lord anyway. Of course that would be decided by the majority. However there seam to be a lack of lahiman characters in estabilished background.

Then it comes to the hero level vampire i think regeneration is better for the ring(due to the name), maybe a possibillity of making it a 5+ regeration save. However that will actally be weaker then 5+ ward.

Where it comes to the blood dragon lord, any reknown magic items belonging to Walach or the red duke except for the pendant and the hauberk? Any special skills?

Also i approve of using my post.

I think that before we dismiss Lesa we come up with some rules, just because she's an excellent wizard doesn't mean that she can't be part of the Lahmian bloodline, apart from making her a level 4 wizard (which is kind of necessary to her fluff) we don't have to give her a million extra power dice and + to casts, if we come up with some fluffy "magical sexyness" rules for her she'll easily fit into the Lahmian category.

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood
Maybe she bestows a penalty on dispelling her spells because the enemy wizards are too busy scrying her to pay attention to the battle at hand. xD

Marcus Von Drac

Vampire Thrall
Haha. Nice thought. Well, I supose yes we could create some rules for her. Or rather, DoN can create some rules, after all she is his.

As for the Blood Dragon Lord, I don't know why I want the Red Dukle. Maybe because we know he is definately still around in Brettonia, whereas Walach only has some rumours.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Oh I agree that she will have to be toned down a bit. I did make up rules for her a while ago, but they were in line with her fluff, so she cost over 1000pts xD

How about I think up some rules, present them and then you can all say yay or nay?

I reckon the Red Duke would be alright as a hero - I mean think of some of the heroes in the other army books, like Deathmaster Snikch in the new skaven book. He'd definitely make a good character, something about allowing black knights to use the Bretonnian Lance formation would suit him nicely.

EDIT: Also take Skulltaker from the DoC book, he's a bit of a combat beast.

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood
The Duke should definitely be a Lord Choice. He is just too powerful in the fluff to be a Hero-level vampire.
How about Varison the Blade for a Hero-level Blood Dragon character?
As for Requarah, a 5+ Regeneration seems to be the general consensus.

OK - although according to his fluff, he doesn't use magical equipment or cast powerful (or any) spells, you'd have to make up some pretty fancy combat rules to validate him as a Lord special character in a VC army imo. Also, I only really brought this up to include Walach and the Red Duke which seem to be the most famous two Blood Dragons.

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
D'oh! Fair point about Lesa. I guess there's really nothing stopping her from being the Lahmian Lord-level special character.

The thing about using Kalada(the crone from Vampire Wars) is that we only know that she's a behind the scenes type, and that's it.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
The duke has to be a Lord level character, he is definitley too powerful for a hero. I have some rules in mind for him as well which I can post when I get home.

Cool - fair enough. I think he'd make a very interesting character to write rules for regardless of his level, I'd love to see a unit of 10 Blood Knights in lance formation if that rule from the 6th edition bloodline section were to be inherited by him ;)

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Ok, here are the Duke & Lesa:

The Red Duke - ???pts

M 6 / WS 9 / BS 5 / S 5 / T 5 / W 3 / I 7 / A 5 / Ld 10

Equipment
Master Forged Blade
Master Forged Armour
Shield

Master Forged Blade
Made by the Duke himself, this swords edge will never blunt. With the Duke’s skill it can pierce armour or hide, the perfect balancing allowing him move with surprising speed.
Hand Weapon. The Duke gains +1 on his to hit rolls.

Master Forged Armour
As with his sword, the Duke’s armour has been forged by his own hand. Made of gomril, it is immensely resistant, deflecting all but the most powerful of blows.
Full Plate Armour. The Duke may re-roll any failed armour saves.

Mount
Barded Nightmare

Magic
See the Magical Distaste special rule.

Options
The Duke’s may take a retinue as per the Blood Dragon Optional Army List, he may do this even if the optional list is not being used. In addition his retinue may upgrade their Heavy Armour to Full Plate for +8pts per model. The Duke’s retinue may not be larger than a total of 10 models (inc the Red Duke).

Bloodline Powers
Unliving Legend
Master Strike
Honour or Death
Horse Master
Red Fury

Special Rules

The Bane of Bretonnia
For many years the Red Duke was the terror of Bretonnia, and even today parents still scare their children with his name. Likewise the Duke has never forgotten is defeat at the hands of the Bretonnian knights, and has vowed to destroy all that would oppose him, whether they be man, elf or beast.
The Duke hates all the opposing army, regardless of race. Such is his determination he may reroll to hit in every round of combat, not just the first. The Duke and his retinue may also used the lance formation as per the Bretonnian Army Book. All models in the Bretonnian army also hate the Duke and his retinue.

Magical Distaste
The Duke loathes magic in all its forms, and woe betide any who would use it’s cowardly nature against him, though he cannot deny the necromantic nature of his armies.
The Duke is a level 2 wizard, however he cannot cast any spells of any kind. Instead of generating his PD, he instead generates 2DD in the appropriate magic phase. Any casters in his army can only use the Necromancy Spells.

[hr]

Mistress Lesa - ???pts

M 6 / WS 5 / BS 5 / S 5 (6) / T 5 / W 3 / I10 / A 4 (5) / Ld 10

Equipment
The Master Sword

The Master Sword
Created many years ago at the founding of colleges of magic this was a gift to the colleges from a master dwarf runesmith, the first of its kind it combined the abilities of all the lesser swords. However not long after it was stolen and its creator slain, the secret of its creation lost with him
Hand Weapon. The Master Sword combines the abilties of the Sword of Might, Striking and Battle. The gives Lesa +1S. +1A (both noted in her profile) and +1 to hit on combat.

Magic
Lesa is a level 4 wizard and knows 7 spells. One of the spells is always IoN. The remaining 6 spells can be chosen in the following ways:
- She may choose to know the full lore of Vampires or any lore from the BRB with the exception of Life.
- She may roll for her spells. In this case she can choose to roll on different Lores for each spell if she so chooses, and can substitute any rolled spell for the first spell of the lore it was rolled on. An duplicated spells must be rolled again.

Bloodline Powers
Divine Beauty
Midnight Dancer
Aura of Dark Majesty
Innocence Lost

Marcus Von Drac

Vampire Thrall
I really like the Red Duke. Making him rock hard without magical whatnots was hard, but you've done it to a tee. I have 2 suggestions to make:

1) In his backgound in the VC book, it says he has a jewel hung around his throat fuelled with blood that brought him back to life. I don't know if you want to include something like that or keep him with as few magical goodies as possible?
2) I would reccomend Infinite Hatred as a power for him. It would suit perfectly, he is a big ragey homicidal nut job. If that seems like too many powers, then I would swap it for Honour of Death. I know you have given him hatred vs Bretts, but to be fair I think he hates just about everything now. Or at least, make his hatred against Bretts every round of combat, not just the first.

As for Lesa, I have only 1 complaint.
I don't see why she has Aura of Dark Majesty. She's a Magic casting temptress, not an inspiring general. I think she can cause enough damage with her Level 4 wizardry and 5 S6 attacks.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Infinite Hatred is a Strigoi power, and I think each SC should stick to their bloodlines powers. Personally I think the Hatred against Bret's should be enough. Considering his special rule about hating magic, I don't think it would make much sense for him to have a magical jewel.

In regards to Aura of Dark Majesty, it has be reworked as a Lahmian Bloodline power. It doesn't necessarily mean she is a good general (I'm not sure where you have got that idea?), but shows that she she is a distracting sight.

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood
Infinite Hatred could be used to represent the Duke's swordmanship. Maybe you can rename it something different.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Vekarin the Dark Bladed said:
Infinite Hatred could be used to represent the Duke's swordmanship. Maybe you can rename it something different.
You mean make up a special rule for him, that is the same as the bloodline power? I suppose we could do that, but then you would end up with him:

Being WS9, and having +1 to hit mean he would hit most people on 2+, would then get to re-roll any misses, would then get to re-roll any wounds which also inflict KB, and any wounds caused generate additional attacks........

Trevy the Great

Vampire Progenitor
True Blood
Yup.
Then remember that he has no magic, no special weapons (besides his +1 To Hit) and his Armor Save, good as it may be, can easily be negated.
Right no he seems to be the equivalent of every Chaos Lord.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Ok, well if you are all happy with that I can edit the Bane of Bretonnia rule - how does it look now?

Is everyone ok with Lesa?