Borgnine's Log: Forge World BSB + BB Star Players conversions

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
RE: Borgnine's Log: The Strigois - Small Conversions

Hey Borgnine how do you have any room to paint with all of them golden daemons lying around everywhere?

Daamn, those horrors look good. I always looked at ppl who used the ogres and thought, sure you might save a penny but it's not looking good at all. Well, now i know it CAN look better. Wow, each one was like a new treat while i was looking through it. Trying to pick a favorite but they're all soo good. I guess the standardbearer and the guy with all the heads.
 
RE: Borgnine's Log: The Strigois - Small Conversions

@robtion - I thought it was hasslefree, they tend to make such minis xD I didn't recognize her because the hands were chopped off. I search for some girl minis to 'slavicize' and I definitely take her into consideration, thanks! :thumbsup:

@Theerteen - good to see someone getting some new ideas here ;)

@ObliviJohn - there's still some room to work xD for improvement of course ;) Thanks for such words. Surely I saved some money but I think I lost quite some time - but it was well spent ^^ The best I got is some differentation - I like my units, especially monstrous infantry, to be diverse and not three models time X :rolleyes:

@Joex48 - thanks! :) I really need to find some time to paint her - so much projects started :rolleyes:
 
RE: Borgnine's Log: The Strigois - Small Conversions

Yay, a lucky day for me!

I was trying to assemble my first mini ever - an Orc Warlord. At first had the body and the boar's head + some replacement plastic body, and some time ago my mother had found the hand with sword during some cleaning. I was missing the head and it was nowhere to be found - I searched everywhere in my room and in some more obvious places - and today I ventured to the attic, to search all the old, hidden boxes full of legos and other toys - there was a great lot of them - but I am nothing if not persistent and patient. I took the first box, opened it - and I FOUND IT! How probable was that? xD It's good that I hadn't to search them all ;)
I don't have to buy a replacement head and it makes me very happy. I am kinda a sucker for authenticity, maybe my studies teached me that ;)

So, here he is - my first mini ever, bought and painted back in 2001 or 2002 - and because of his status - spared from the selling the rest of my orcs and goblins suffered several years ago.

Pc8vKWG.webp


I have the shield, but I don't like it. I am still missing the boar's tusks and the banner pole, but I think I'll manage without them. I intend to get rid of the paint, greenstuff the boar somewhat, add the tusks and paint him anew as the 'Old Orc', with grayish skin and the boar gray and long-haired - and make him a revered part of my collection ^^ It may be old and the painting is bad, but the sculpt is still fine as hell xD

Also - I found some other warhammer things in the box, but these were just bitz. What is interesting, some of them look oxidized :| I'm sure as hell I didn't paint them so - and I am shocked to see a rusted pewter fanatic ball and RUSTED PLASTIC goblin spear - wtf is that?! It's orange and easily scraped off with a finger..

I7vDM41.webp
 
RE: Borgnine's Log: Lost and found - my first mini ever

I'm pretty sure rust can transfer over onto nearby surfaces and just sort of lie there rather than actually eat away at the stuff, though I could be talking out my backside I just feel I remember seeing it before with drainpipes and old nails in things like my shed.
 
RE: Borgnine's Log: Lost and found - my first mini ever

@robtion & Devour - yeah, maybe it's some kind of mold, maybe it got infected with rust.. Some elements were like this, other were completely unaffected, only some plastic parts got 'whiter'....

An unfortunately small update:
For the curious - I did a tutorial - Step-by-step tutorial: cheap Terrorgheist swamp/tar-pit base - usable not only for basing, but also how to cheaply make hills and mounds, rough texture for basing and bubbling swamps ;)

Finished work:

MqoTR8K.webp


And to not make it only an advertisement - I share my latest efforts on alkonosts - I did the faces - still, without the eyes.

Me8WEgG.webp




Also - I noticed that the damned imageshack stopped working or something and first half of my thread is picturess >.< I'll have to rework it someday :slapface:
 
Last edited:
RE: Borgnine's Log: Terrorgheist swamp base & Alkonost 2nd WIP

Finally - I have managed to finish these damned conversions of alkonosts/sirins :frown: I think it could be a month ago when I started sawing away eagle heads - and after long periods of waiting for the GS to dry, being unmotivated and being distracted I finally ended them - I hope painting will be easier. Nevertheless - I learned a lot about sculpting and I am kinda satified about them ;)

RQ80yFt.webp


Hair decorations are cute.

Other than that I kinda decided on slowly starting an another collection - of Orcs&Goblins :rolleyes: But as I am patient and I am in no hurry, I can just wait for some sweet bargains on the net - I didn't pay much money for all this - even for the Forge World BSB - and man, I heard they were good, but seeing each link of the chainmail linked with other links was another thing xD

nZT7eft.webp


And while I had a camera nearby - a shot on my collection of Bretonnians - they are dilligently waiting for an update so I could know if all my colour schemes and plans are ruined or not by the new (?) lance formation.

h25gINo.webp
 
Those are really creepy. And I'm loving the details in their hair, great green stuffing :thumbsup:
Also, they make me wonder if I'm not alone in putting ridiculous amounts of work into very few points.

With those two being your other armies it seams like we have the exact same set up. I too have a Bretonnian force awaiting a new book. Been awaiting a new book for so long :'( Anyways, looking forward to seeing what you can do with OnG :)
 
Your GS work on those conversions looks really good :thumbsup:

Look forward to seeing your orcs and goblins too... my first army was O&G so always have a soft spot for them.
 
I'm not sure if I should like the fact you're going for o&g, cause it will cause brain cancer in my head when you start the same army as I (is this correct english..:P ) again, and still paint them in you friggin badass way better than me :tongue: xD

Those alkonosts look really cool! You're doing a great job keeping others (or at least me ;) ) inspired to try modelling their own stuff!
 
@Mad 'At - Thanks! ;) Oh yeah, now that you're saying it, I now realized spent three weeks on sculpting 64 points :zombie: At least it's tematic, unique and I managed to find some replacements for the bad, bad sculpts of the current fell bats :rolleyes: As for the O&G - besides being fun and having real chariots, greenskins interested be in how much can be scratchbuild - your squigs were a big inspiration in this regard :thumbsup:

@Kutslo - Thanks! :) They were also a first army for me, I even have my first mini ever to use as a warboss for them xD

@13 - at least we have similiarly good tastes in army choices xD Also thanks, I like being an inspiration to people - and while I'm at it, maybe I shouldn't mention how tedious this can be ;)

Strigois, hexwraiths, mounted necromancer, terrorgheist, coven throne, 2 scratchbuild mortis engines, wights and now even orcs - there much too many cool work to do and not enough time for it :'( and the upcoming moving out and getting a masters degree won't make things easier in this regard :frown:
 
thanks goat64804 ;]

Okay, a new post, but it's sadly not an update but rather an information about a hiatus here.

After finishing alkonosts conversions I was trying to paint my terrorgheist and I managed some bit of it, but only a small one. Working on my masters degree was more and more time-consuming and it was taking most of my motivation for anything.

And now I'm going for a bit of vacation and then I'm moving to Berlin, Germany at least till September. After I'll come back to Poland I will be work more on my masters degree and then I'm moving once again to Germany - and until I'll stabilize myself a bit there, I won't be taking my warhams from here. Few months break - I think that after that I'll be back with a newfound motivation to paint and convert some more. Not only udead but also 'Persians from 300' themed Orcs and Brets [assuming they'll get updated in the meantime.....] :)

And as a little treat with some temporal closure, as ObliviJohn suggested - a collection shot! xD I haven't had time for any special effects, my carpet would have to do ;) Everything I collected and assembled for my VC army since spring 1,5 year ago - I inluded unpainted things, but not the unassembled Coven Throne. 5K/6K points as far as I remember.

PaoSpzl.webp


vIHLUT2.webp


rirmN4u.webp


And that's it for now. I'll be on CN of course, just not posting new stuff :rolleyes:

Wish me luck in Berlin and to finish the goddamn masters degree! ;)
 
  • Like
Reactions: ObliviJohn
Your army looks consistent, something I don't see very often. Most VC players mix too many themes. Good luck!
 
Thanks everyone ;)

@Emicrania - I certainly don't remember being asked about the trays. I made them myself and they are super simple. For the base I use grey carboard. I mark the size of the unit and then glue balsawood [3mm thick, square shaped sticks] around it as the border. I cut away the cardboard so it's nice and smooth and then chisel the balsawood so the border is tapered a little. Cheap and efficient, but I think that it could break when handled inappropriately or when carrying something big, like fat units of metal infantry. So far I have only plastic units so it works for me ;) I also used magnetic foil on it, the one you can see on the picture above under zombies.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Emicrania

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu