45x80 looks to be an ok size actually, as long as we limit the amount showing in the postbit - but that's something I'll have to work on.
I forgot to mention that the skull in the middle is just a place-holder. I only put it there to test whether the UV mapping was ok (which it is). The skull and red back-drop are what will be replaced with whatever people put in the texture template.Count Darvaleth said:That looks great to me, although the skull in the centre will almost certainly be displaced by whatever motif is relevant to that particular medal? We will of course use it for one of them, unless people want it to be a permanent feature and have motifs over the top of it? I just feel that way it becomes a bit cluttered.
Great work though!![]()
Monkey said:Hey Guys!
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to bring you all another progress update: I've pretty much finished the material and lighting tweaks to the image, and I've discovered Blender has a useful feature for rendering images with totally transparent backgrounds (I was using a green-screen like technique before, but it always left a little bit of the colour round the edges).
I've also updated the heraldry in the middle as an example of the kind of finish that can be achieved. If people want to start throwing ideas at me, I can see how they'd look.
Cheers, Monkey
P.S. The image actually looks a little pink, I may dull down that particular light slightly, what do you think?

Ha, good naturedness! You wish...Count Darvaleth said:Not being particularly gifted in terms of actually making the medals, I look more to these guys for the actual artwork. Being volunteers we can't really dish out who will do what, so I rely on the good-naturedness of CN for now!![]()
I'll try giving your suggestions a go.Raven Torrid said:Looks nice. I'd maybe position it a bit lower, and make it a bit bigger to stand out better. Also, I'd suggest brightening the wings a bit, so they can be more visible to both dark and bright forum theme users (right now they are close to blending in with the dark theme background). Really liking the texture and shading on the background.
May I try my luck on designing some of your suggestions if I'll have time? And if I manage to make any decent designs, that is.