• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

RarerMonsters

Grave Guard
Jul 16, 2013
I was at a tourney this weekend, and I'm proud to say I went 4-1 while taking one of my favorite units: The Coven Throne.

While taking it was definitely a concession to composition, I also think this model is a lot better than people give it credit for. This unit survived all 5 games, and was key for scoring some critical points.

So, here's my full rundown of why and how I play this unit.

So, the basics.
Movement 8 chariot which brings 4 ASF S5 attacks plus 2d6 S3s plus the Vampire riding it. T5 with an inherent 4++, narrow frontage, you can do a LOT of damage with this thing.

So, why don't people take it? Well, it puts a character alone on a single base that you can't protect from cannons that's altogether very expensive. And, as always, it's competing with the Terrorgheist, or maybe just a solid killy block of GG.

Yet, I have almost nothing but good results with it. It's eaten entire block of white lions on its own, it will grind down nearly any core block, and it can punch high armor. It's fast, easy to maneuver, and an undeniable threat.

Here is my preferred rider build:
Vampire
Dragon Helm, Dawnstone
Red Fury
Shield, Lance
Lore of Death

Or I'd suggest possibly going with the Armor of Destiny. I'm experimenting with both still. AoD is better if you're taking high S hits, but anything S5 or below, the 2+ rerollable is better. Personally, I'm more worried about people massing hits, and if I'm playing the throne correctly I should be keeping him away from S that high since it's only T5/4

One of the main reasons I think people have poor results is that they fall for the trap of Battle of Wills. It offers some really impressive options, and so people try to build around that by taking a vampire rider with AODM to maximize your leadership difference.

As I've learned, Battle of Wills is a throwaway ability. As unbelievable as the bonuses SEEM, you're relying on what is essentially 1 die roll. With a VL's inspiring presence AODM you're probably rolling 2 higher, so it seems like you'll pretty easily get one of the better 2 bonuses, but then you'll get to an important combat and it'll whiff. You don't win by gambling on good dice swings, you win by playing conservatively and benefiting from good dice swings.

Focus your Vamp on straight killing as normal, and just let it run as a super-chariot. You'll find the results are much better.

As for lore, Vampires is good so you have an additional healing battery with Invocation, but I prefer death since it's going to far upfield and it gives some important ranged support against some of the most nasty things you see on the field.

As for running it, I think there's ultimately two options depending on your opponent's force. If they have cannons, run it far forward and have it in combat by turn 2. You should have one or two free turns before cannons hit you in the face because they'll be going after your terrorgheist first. If they go first, hope for a good ward save or a low wounds roll. Don't be afraid to get it into combat, as most units it gets into combat with, it'll start grinding. It'll be vulnerable to counter charging, and you'll just have to take advantage of that by exploiting the awkward positioning your opponent will have to use to flank it.

If your opponent doesn't have cannons, you're in a much better position. Play conservatively with it, holding it relatively close to your general for Inspiring presence and try to send some Spirit Leech snipes at your opponent's war machines or Ward-save-less heroes. Keep it in position to counter charge and break your opponent's combined charges. This time, don't commit it to early, make use of the narrow frontage to outflank and get it headed to either a flank charge or a fight with a vulnerable ranged unit. A swiftstriding M8 is a terrific threat vector, and as a VC player you have the best redirectors in the game. Control position, and you can bring the thunder with an extremely small frontage to respond to.

Anyway, I strongly encourage people to give it a try if they haven't already, it's a fantastic killing unit that doesn't cause the traffic jams of infantry hordes. With some practice, you can make great use of it and answer a lot of VC's worst match-ups.

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jul 3, 2013
Rockford Il
I too have used the Coven Throne. I have a bad idea of it simply because I was playing it totally wrong. I had my Vamp Lord on it with a craptastic hybrid and the thing ran me near 750 points (3,000pt list). It still preformed but all in all would have rocked socks if I knew what on earth I was doing with it. My build was:

Lord
Throne
Master of the Black arts
Level 3 (I believe)
Sword of bloodshed
Enchanted sheild (I believe)
and maybe some other low point stuff but regardless of the :slapface: build it still did pretty well! Just not as well as I was hoping it would.

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jul 3, 2013
Rockford Il
Heroes can take it and his is just a baby vamp on the throne so I would assume he either included a MN or a Vamp lord which has vampires and is his general

RarerMonsters

Grave Guard
Jul 16, 2013
Johnny-Crass said:
The OP beat me into the dirt with a coven throne so I would listen to him. Welcome to the forum bud!

Thanks! And in fairness, one scream killing your Iron Daemon and ghouls destroying your Kdaai might have had more to do with it.
Nice to be here.

I would personally never take a lord on the Coven Throne... putting aside cost for a second, you CAN'T afford to lose your general to a cannonball. A major part of running any mounted beast/chariot hero is that you have to be willing to lose it if the match just turns bad (and there are many ways that can happen)

Jun 5, 2013
People seem to be saying the throne competes with terrorgheist points. But the throne comes from the hero allowance right so no conflict?

RarerMonsters

Grave Guard
Jul 16, 2013
excessiveswagger said:
People seem to be saying the throne competes with terrorgheist points. But the throne comes from the hero allowance right so no conflict?
I mean in general. On a certain level, everything that isn't core is competing for points. Your army needs infantry blocks for big bases to support, so big models like the CT and Gheist can become redundant.

Jun 5, 2013
Good point that, on a tangent here what do people think a good core unit is for supporting your big nasties. I'm thinking ghouls as they can actually hurt something and toughness 4 ws 3 makes them a better anvil than skellies are with ws2 t 3 despite their Armor?

I have trouble a bit picking a good supporting core as zombies bleed too much res and arent expensive enough to fill out the core allowance.

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jul 3, 2013
Rockford Il
Well I like a big ole block of 40 ghouls. It stays and I tend to run a baby vamp in there so they have a bit more killing power when needed. They are still strength 3 so opponents will get their full armor save. I've contemplated a few times if it would be a good idea to take a wightking BSB with the armor peircing banner, But i've never really given it a shot.

eggsPR

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 28, 2011
Dublin
Personally I don't like them but why isn't the Charmed Shield essential on the rider?

Why doesn't he have the Charmed Shield and Talisman of Preservation?

At least give him a 2+ vs the 1st wound before making him gamble on the 4+ ward.

Then just give your VL the AoD.

Oppenheimer

Varghulf
May 26, 2013
I agree with eggspr. Both times I ran with a Coven Throne I had my vampire picked right off the back of that thing first thing. Keeping them away from high strength hits is easier said than done. I always have people beeline anyone with lances or monsters for it.

I really wish that character mounts transferred their ward or regen saves to riders.

Mr. West

Lahmian Tomb Guard
Mar 26, 2013
Actualy, where does it say that the vampiric rider benfits from the Thrones 4++ ward ?
I've seen multiple people claim this to be the case, but I never found any reference to this. Personaly, I'm under the impression the rider would NOT benefit.

eggsPR

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 28, 2011
Dublin
He doesn't get the ward.

So give him the magic shield, and 4+ ward talisman (totals 50pts)

Then give The Lord the 4+ ward via the magic armour.

I'm not sure how this isn't essential? Unless you're running double mortis engine and then you'd give the rider the seed of rebirth (and Dragonhelm for skill cannons)

Or, maybe.... MAYBE save some points and give the hero rider charmed shield then opal amulet for 4+ ward vs the 1st wound after you've exhausted the charmed shield. Just stay away from archer detachments, night goblins with bows, bow hobgoblins or quarrelers bc surely they'd activate the charmed shield b4 firing the big guns :)

Matt217th

Zombie
Sep 12, 2012
One of my friends plays a Coven Throne in his vamp lists and I've got a real healthy respect for them now. Up until the other day were I managed to get it into a challenge with my Arch Lector sporting the AoMI and VHS it was always a viable cannon option, even if my friend was running a terrorghiest. Want to try it myself at some point.

RarerMonsters

Grave Guard
Jul 16, 2013
eggspr said:
He doesn't get the ward.

So give him the magic shield, and 4+ ward talisman (totals 50pts)

Then give The Lord the 4+ ward via the magic armour.

I'm not sure how this isn't essential? Unless you're running double mortis engine and then you'd give the rider the seed of rebirth (and Dragonhelm for skill cannons)

Or, maybe.... MAYBE save some points and give the hero rider charmed shield then opal amulet for 4+ ward vs the 1st wound after you've exhausted the charmed shield. Just stay away from archer detachments, night goblins with bows, bow hobgoblins or quarrelers bc surely they'd activate the charmed shield b4 firing the big guns :)
Yeah, charmed shield +4 tali is a great build. I should have mentioned that I always take the +4 tali on my VL so that I can fit on the ogre blade and other trickster's shard. Charmed shield and Endurance Talisman. Alternatively, Charmed Shield Opal Amulet might be good...

However,Again, I honestly believe your best defense against cannons is the terrorgheist. If your opponents target your coven throne first, you are honestly in a good position because two turns of screams against a gun line are probably enough to turn the battle in your favor.

Honestly though, Chariots are never going to be a good option against cannon lines. If you run a Coven Throne, you are running that risk. Fortunately, the throne has a chance to survive and deny points even if the rider dies, and just the 2 handmaidens are a solid combat threat.

Cannons are the main reason why the CT is never going to be a 1+ or even an optimal choice, but they don't mean it's not viable.

Corien Sumatris

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jul 3, 2013
Rockford Il
Oh I think they could be an optimal choice, it's more so that you can't just throw one into a list an expect it to do amazing. You really need to forcus on how it will interact with the rest of your units and how to make it worth it. It makes for a bit more fluffy of a list but only because the throne is expensive.

Velmates

Skeleton
Feb 3, 2012
This brings me to my point: could you post your list and some strategic advice on how you plan your units should interact? If you don't want to post it maybe you could give some advice on what units would be good to have.

Thanks! I wanted to use the CT since I started VC bc of the great model. But the general bad opinion on it always kept me from buying it...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu