• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Berkinator

Ghoul
Dec 26, 2009
I think the curse of years spell goes off "at the end of EVERY magic phase" including my opponents. pretty sure this was explained in many threads but I cant get my partner to accept this. He argues that is means every friendly magic phase or else it would have stated otherwise, like "even in your enemy's turn" or something. I still cant get him to accept that the black coach absorbs his base pools power dice either...He wont believe it unless he sees it in the FAQ. He doesnt believe this forum either because he thinks you people are all biased. help please!!

artisturn

Grave Guard
Jun 30, 2009
you are correct, remind your friend that He has a chance to dispel it in his magic phase using his power dice and show him the wording in the spell where it states "at the end of the next magic phase.At the end of the following magic phase"

It mentions next and following clearly not friendly or your magic phase.

Also point out to your friend that you are also affected by the draining powers of the black coach as well and it clearly states in the army book (page 47) "dice in the power dice pool.and those generated for any wizard within 6 inches of a black coach "

It is clear on both points in our army book and if your friend doesn't want to except it then it speaks more about him and his sportsmanship.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
They are both fairly clear...

If he won't believe it because we are "bias" on here... then send him on over to a neutral forum and search / inquire there (Warseer for example). He will get the same answers.

Also, note that the Black Coach says "EVERY magic phase"

Berkinator

Ghoul
Dec 26, 2009
Thanks for the replies

Yea hes got a lot of rules wrong and doesnt like being corrected i guess.
I showed the "every magic phase" to him but he just wont accept it because he says all the other army books specify that it can activate on the enemy's turn.
I guess it wont be easy but Ill keep trying

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If you have a WoC book show him the Nurgle Lore, Curse of the Leper:
"At the beginning of every friendly magic phase".

vs. Curse of Years:
"at the end of the next magic phase. At the end of the following magic phase.."

The problem seems to be trying to find other points of reference... alot of the recent books do not have spells that a) occur every turn and/or b) RiP spells at all.

Berkinator

Ghoul
Dec 26, 2009
As I said he says by "every magic phase" it means friendly ones or else it would have specified otherwise. He is a WOC player too, so that might be where he gets the mindset from (from Bishop's example)

Yanda

Black Knight
Mar 7, 2010
Calgary, AB
Berkinator said:
As I said he says by "every magic phase" it means friendly ones or else it would have specified otherwise. He is a WOC player too, so that might be where he gets the mindset from (from Bishop's example)

However its the opposite. The rules will clearly state how something works and that your innocent until proven guilty. Nor can you take what you find in other army books and attempt to justify it or use it as a valid arguement. Our army book was made so that it could be used without the aid or purchase of other books besides the main book. The way our book is worded is the way it was intended to function.

Sounds like a real rule Nazi. I suggest showing him this thread or just not playing against him anymore. Unless it says friendly magic phase its every magic phase as we have other items that specify that they only work in the friendly undead phase.

Corpse Cart - Miasma of Deathly Vigour - "This lasts until the start of the next "Friendly" magic phase -> Implies that it lasts through your oponents turn and back into yours.

Helm of Commandment - "may use his weapon skill instead of their own for "that" close combat phase -> Indicates that it happens for only that CC phase.

Black Periapt - "and then add it to his side's power or dispel dice pool in the "next" magic phase -> Implies the next time the game reaches a magic phase regardless of the team.

All 3 of these are specific to when they take place

Curse of Years - "At the end of the "Next" Magic phase" -> If they wanted it to say Friendly they would have wrote friendly instead of next like the Cart.
- "At the end of the "following" magic phase" -> Once again implies the next time that phase occurs not the next friendly one like the Cart.
- "and so on to a maximum of 2+" -> Indicates that it continues every magic phase but cannot go lower than a 2+.

If the guy still wants to argue then hes a bad sport and you shouldnt play against him anymore.

Humaneater

Black Knight
Apr 5, 2010
At the end of the day, if he can't prove it with some harcore evidence (ie books or errata), then he's wrong, whatever the case. He clearly has a magic phase aswell as you so "next" magic phase includes him too.

Azmodan

Skeleton
Nov 8, 2009
what me and my friends do, when we have a problem is to go to a gamesworkshop or another warhammer shop and ask the staff. and then there word is law.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Aug 15, 2007
I would never recommend that, as all too often they get even the simplest rules wrong, for various reasons. At an official GW tournament this weekend, it was funny to see them rule on Blade of Realities vs a Plague Furnace: by all accounts, even the Skaven FAQ, a hit instantly destroys the contraption, as it has no LD value. According to the rules judges... it doesn't die because it is made of wood. Every time someone summons a ref at a tournament to rule on something, even if the rules are clear, I cringe because I know there's a fair chance of them just coming up with something stupid and wrong. Staff in store are 10 times as bad- even though they do their best, bless 'em.

artisturn

Grave Guard
Jun 30, 2009
I would have to agree with Count Flapula on this.

When 7th edition first came out my friend and I were playing a game and one of the "new rules" were pretty unclear (for the life of me I can't remember which rule we called about) so we called the US number in the white dwarf and asked them.

We asked the guy who answered the phone and He wasn't sure so he put us on hold to ask his other coworkers.
And then we still didn't have a clear answer once He got back to us.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, its pretty bad... don;t ask the guys in the store.. most of them are pretty clueless. You could call around to 3 different stores, and get 3 different answers to a yes/no question!

Azmodan

Skeleton
Nov 8, 2009
Ok i havent had a problem with that, but if that is the case, then then don´t. but if you have a mutual friend that know the rules better then the guy that you play with, ask him. but if he still wont understand the rules (and it's because he WONT understand) then find another to play with. because if he just refuses to play by the roles there is no point to play with him, and its no fun either.

Paksos

Ghoul
Jun 10, 2009
London
I had no idea that Curse of Years was every magic phase! I should really learn to read my army book better!! (I spent 6 months only shooting 4 shots with my Dark Elf RBTs on the volley as well... *is a bit of a moron*) :thumbsup:

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Aug 15, 2007
Hehe, it's pretty common for people to make mistakes like that, thinking that their own version sounds fairer (on the other hand, lots of people are rules optimists, assuming that everything always works in their favoue), I used to play my Bolt Throwers as -1 to hit for multishots, until I learnt better...

Berkinator

Ghoul
Dec 26, 2009
Thanks for all the replies!
I can't really stop playing with him since he's one of the only 3-4 guys within 100 miles of where I live who play warhammer hehe
I'll show him all the rulings and try to prove it to him. If he doesn't believe me, I guess I will post this in a forum that he trusts and that I know won't give stupid answers!

Paksos

Ghoul
Jun 10, 2009
London
Have you reminded him to just dispel it when you try and cast and that he'll have a chance to dispel with his power dice before it goes off in his phase?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu