• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
So I finally got around to taking some decent pictures of these guys today.

Squig hoppers:

2db5jth.jpg

And a few more squigs:

260wkly.jpg

The base insert on the second hopper from the left broke off so I fashioned him a rock base and pinned him in place. The hoppers were quite fun to paint and are some comical sculpts, although the farthest on the right has gigantic hands. They look bigger than a savage orc's...

Reactions: Sessioni

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Sessioni Cheers mate! For the compliments and the motivation.

Haha yeh, that guy is clinging onto the the squig backwards for dear life, all the while accidently flashing his backside. The guy with the wooden sword cracks me up too xD

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Sweet red color you've got on them! :thumbsup: Very nice unit overall.

And because I am now struggling with a bit of black cloth on my mini, I took a close look at your night goblins, as I like your method of doing black. And it's just an edge highlight? Or do my eyes miss something? Even though it looks plenty fine, I am still struggling with some more gradual highlighting - and man, it's difficult on black ;)

And the one with a big hand is visibly older than the rest of them - they probably couldn't sculpt small hands back then xD

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Borgnine Yeh mate, it's a simple edge highlight of Skavenblight Dinge then Stormvermin fur over black. I'm pretty happy with that but I think if I were to change it, I'd go for:

Basecoat - Black:Skavenblight mix / Wash - Nuln Oil / Highlight - Skavenblight / Highlight - Stormvermin

Or if you wanted that blueish black then swap out the greys for the blue grey colours.

The gigantic hands are hilarious! If I get a second one like this, I'll chop his sword off and paint his hands like boxing gloves.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Love the way you painted the tongue on that squig. Might have to copy that for one of my next manglers.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Mad 'At Cheers :thumbsup:

I got the idea by first painting the GW mangler and realized it has this look. Looks totally gross and fitting for a squig.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
Time for an update: finally got these guys sorted, the last 5 squigs that I'd been waiting for before summer.

Those gnarly squigs are fun to paint ( the dragon-like one took ages compared to the others), and they look right at home in the finished herd. More pics coming later.

oszv39.jpg

These make the final 5 minis to complete my squig herd unit, and the stopping point for this army (for now) while I get my backside into gear with that VC project I've been putting back!

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Always great to see squigs, these are no exception. Seeing them makes we want to finish my manglers (which I really should) and paint my own few gnarly cave squigs.

Seconding Adam's request of an army pic, would be sweet.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Cool strawberries xD This shade of red looks terrific, and the scaly one looks the coolest for me ;) Also, I'm seconding [Edit: thirding] the question about an army shot.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
Yeh guys, I'll see if time allows for the army shot before heading to work later.

@Adam_Barrow Pretty stoked about finally getting these done and moving on to the VC.

@Mad 'At Your Squigs are awesome. I love your homemade stuff - really inspiring to make me want to have a go at a few at some point!

@Borgnine The scaly one is cool, it looks like some mean rabid dragon dog or something. A fun one to paint but definitely time consuming compared to the other 'strawberries' :)

Cheers for the comments guys.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
Here's the finished squig herd:

v7cu1y.jpg

And the army shot to date:

wbqw6b.jpg

I got a little annoyed taking out the magler squigs from storage to find that one of them is suffering from a case of Finecast's warpitis. Pretty annoying when you spend several weeks on a mini to find that it's bent into some retarded looking shape. Anyone have a decent way to remedy this?

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
That's some of the best OnG work I've ever seen. Feels good to get to a point where you're happy with what you've got finished, doesn't it?

Now let the undead tide roll!

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
Man, I wish I could have one individual of every OnG infantry choice painted by you. It'd class up dnd games like whoa. I'm gunna buy a Wurrzag model to paint just because yours is so rad.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Adam_Barrow Thanks man! You should do some OnG... Your undead are awesome and you have some sick ideas.

Conversion idea for your Wurrzag - some wire as lightning coming out of the top of his staff done up as green magic (wish I'd done that with mine but might still revisit him one day).

Reactions: Adam_Barrow

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
My Chaos Dwarves have a big unit of the metal Black Orcs (for Great Weapon Infernal Guard/Hammerers when I'm playing from the regular Dwarf armybook) that I'm looking forward to. And I've got a couple Goblins on Fenrisian Wolves for my Hobgoblin Khans. So a few Greenskins are in my future. Trust, I'll be pouring over yours and Mad At's OnG plogs when those units hit the paint desk.

I've seen some Skaven Engineers with that wire lightening conversion. It's sick for sure.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@robtion Thanks a lot mate. I've got another character to add to this plog which I've just painted up for a conversion competition over on Da Warpath. When voting finishes at the end of March, I'll share it - it's actually the first character I've written fluff for :)

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
Here's my most recent O&G work; a night goblin shaman I converted & painted for the 13th Conversion Competition over on Da Warpath.

33m3bzk.jpg

As the competition's theme was 'characters', I decided to write a little bit of fluff for him to give him more personality than the mini by itself suggests:

Rizbit - Night Goblin Shaman

Seen as a bit insane by his kin, Rizbit used to be somewhat of a laughing stock amongst the Night Goblin tribes for his hysterical actions under the influence of excessive mushroom consumption & fungus brew (including once lighting a fart on fire and singeing a wolf's fur). As a result, his one twitchy eye and other lazy eye made for more comedy among the ranks of Night Goblins until, one day, poor Tik was tranformed into the pitiful mute that now carries Rizbit's brew pot around.

Since Tik's unpleasant transformation and his simple renaming to 'Oi', Rizbit's peers prefer to keep him at a bit of a distance and leave him to his own business, which usually involves stooping in ravines and chanting bizarrely around campires, but mostly preying on squigs that dwell in the many caves that dot the cliffs of the Badlands. He claims to be searching for new species of fungi, although he seems to be attempting to exact revenge on the squig that ate his shoe not so long ago (he says it was eaten by an Ogre Tyrant that he apparently vanquished single-handedly).

Let me know what you think. Cheers!

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
Just coming off the end of a long few months busy with moving house and sorting out this & that, but it's nice to get back into the hobby.

As a warm up to painting again, I started with a few night gobbos for my spears unit. A modest five but that horde has to start somewhere :)

2nlzkaw.jpg

And my new man cave:

2ziva6v.jpg

@Johnny Lauck Cheers for taking a look mate, more coming in the future :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu