• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Flesh eaters battle tome!!!

On the other hand... the much improved Zombie Dragon is exactly what the doctor ordered! 3 bites rather than 2, a -3 rend breath weapon that auto hits infantry and wounds on a 2+ and 7 claw attacks! Fantastic.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
That is pretty tasty.

We're also likely to see 2 to 3 formations in the book, which may have their own juicy bonuses. If one of those formations hands out a to-hit buff, I'd be inclined to call it near mandatory for ghoul lists. If not, well, maybe we'll get something worthwhile, and maybe not. The Charnel pit formation's back on the app, and it's honestly not that bad to begin with.

It seems GW may actually be going in that direction.

Back to the subject, I have always played a heavy ghoul army, even in 8th. Mainly because I didn't have many ethereal or skeleton heros. I am a bit worried that the new warscrolls are going to make my ghoul army into a meazly zombie tar pit in comparison to some of the enemies I'll be facing.

Edit: Gah! Now can't summon Crypt Horrors. They also changed the names of the crypt horror abilities to make them sound less canibalistic. Which is dumb based on how they modelled.
Look at it from an another point of view. The ghoul kings are mad and delusioned. They think of themselves as of kings (Brettonia-style), regular ghouls are their man-at arms (they are even called so in the ghast hero ability text), horrors and flayers are proud knights, and varghulfs are shining paladins.

The new ability names represent this, I think. Look at the Varghulf's ability "Victory feast". The Ghoul King will see his loyal paladin organizing a feast of finest delicacies and wine to celebrate the victory, while any other observer will see a monstrous Varghulf devouring the corpses of the enemies he just slaughtered.

All the "King's Court" thing is a grim joke, a macabre parody, a vicious mockery of a real king's court. I like the whole theme, and the new abitity names are intended to support this flavour.

This is all IMHO, feel free to disagree.

Oppenheimer

Crypt Horror
I get what they're going for with the perverted court. I just prefer actual opulence with my Von Carsteins to the ghoul esthetic. I like how they used to look down on ghoul kings for being too barbaric. Purely a personal taste thing.

Last edited:

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
I like how they used to look down on ghoul kings for being too barbaric. Purely a personal taste thing.
They still are, but there is now no von Carsteins and the Midnight Aristocracy, and I doubt the rest of the vampires will be much better in this regard.

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Looking forward to seeing the soul blight tome when it comes out. It'll probably have more of what I like best about VC.
Bestimmt, they must be quite vampires we know since the times out of mind. Especially if they will do plastic blood knights.
I wonder if the next thing will be Undead Centaurs and they will put Grave Guard torsos on skeletal steeds necks?
Well, that would not be that bad, especially because there are already such variants :)

Attachments

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I also if they will do tomes for each of the old bloodlines.
This seems extremely unlikely, given that we just got the ghoul king tome, and while I haven't read the fluff of it to see if the word Strigoi has been mentioned, it remains removed from the ghoul king names. If they were doing the old bloodlines, they'd all be "Strigoi Ghoul Kings" and not "Abhorrent Ghoul Kings".

I wouldn't be shocked to see some more vampire variants reminiscent of old bloodlins. A dedicated caster vampire, decrepit and nosferatu looking, as a mechanical counterpoint to Tzeentch's Gaunt Summoners, of an expansion of the themes built into the Coven Throne's handmaidens or the Blood knights.

But I doubt they're going to go back to full on bloodlines, whether in fluff or mechanics.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
@Menkeroth that's a nice mini! Thanks for showing yet another interesting miniature company :thumbsup:

And about all those combo units - I think that's bound to happen, especially when GW will discover that this will let them to sell one unit in two boxes xD

Eyeless

Wight King
Are there paint schemes or how to paint ideas in Battletomes? this will be my first one and i'm still looking for a theme for the flesh eaters.

Malisteen

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Nothing really to do with anything, but I really wish Black Knights were better in AoS. It's like whoever wrote their rules thought they were supposed to be mounted skeleton warriors, instead of mounted grave guard.

Eyeless

Wight King
ok guys i just got my hand on this tome and i like it =D haven't read the fluff yet but there's a hierarchy, some ghoul kings worth of mention, and their relationship with Nagash. As for the rules this tome contains 3 battleplans one of which is for 3 players, and 9 battalions which some of them are quite easy to get as they require only basic units and a hero and they do give quite decent bonuses =D quite good for our first battle tome if you ask me. Also i got one of those new big boxes the king's ghoulish host which is an amazing deal and also features an exclusive battalion for it =]

Menkeroth

A Knight of Blood
Congratulations, brothers, with our first very battletome ^_^ waiting was long but at last. Interesting, are the ghoul kings still those savage bestial vampires?

Eyeless

Wight King
Congratulations, brothers, with our first very battletome ^_^ waiting was long but at last. Interesting, are the ghoul kings still those savage bestial vampires?
I still need to read up on them, will give you a better answer later on but as far as i know yes they still are.