• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
If you could give a brief overview of the various battalions, including the box exclusive one, that would be very helpful. I'm personally eager to see Deathrattle get this treatment.

@Menkeroth - sadly, yeah. Their durability is pretty poor when facing anything with rend, and their offensive output is piddly, even on the charge, due to a lackluster statline and only one attack with their lance, especially when you consider how large they are as cavalry and thus how few you'll actually get to swing with. Most point systems also painfully overestimate them.

Last edited:

Eyeless

Wight King
May 17, 2013
Malta
@Malisteen will do, but how will i give an overview without actually posting the stuff? like is there a post or something where you reviewed battalions similarly so that i can get an idea?

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Orcs were lately released with elite infantry together with elite cavalry (and some heroes) so it's possible to get them both and then some more ;)

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
will do, but how will i give an overview without actually posting the stuff? like is there a post or something where you reviewed battalions similarly so that i can get an idea?

@Eyeless - As a matter of fact, there is! LINK HERE.

Mostly I just left off ranges, specific numbers. If a battalion granted, for instance +4 inches movement to units within 12" of a wight king, I'd say "bonus movement near the wight king," or the like.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
unit rules are free. battalion rules mostly are not - you either pay for the book/box to get access, or you pay for the formation itself in the app.

Eyeless

Wight King
May 17, 2013
Malta
It better to be safe then sorry, but here's an overview :)

Royal Family
  • 1 Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist / Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon
  • 2-6 Abhorrant Ghoul Kings
Each time a Courtier adds any models to a unit you can add an extra model while the Courtier is within the range of any Royal Family model.
If your general is a member of the Royal Family and you currently have less than 6 Ghoul Kings you general can summon a ghoul king. (This counts as a command ability)
Attendants at Court
  • 1 Crypt Haunter Courtier
  • 2 units of Crypt Horrors
Crypt Horrors re-roll failed hits even if not in range of a Ghoul King.
If your army general is a Ghoul King and he is in range of the Haunter Courtier he can use 2 command abilities per turn (even the same one twice).
Deadwatch
  • 1 Crypt Infernal Courtier
  • 3 units of Crypt Flayers
In the hero phase you can pile in with each Deadwatch unit and attack.
Abattoir
  • 1 Crypt Haunter Courtier
  • 2 units of Crypt Horrors
  • 1 unit of Crypt Ghouls
In the hero phase roll a die for each enemy model near a model of Abattior with a possibility of inflicting a mortal wound.
If the Abattior's Courtier if fighting an enemy monster, he gets a buff on his wound rolls.
Ghoul Patrol
  • 1 Crypt Ghast Courtier
  • 3 units of Crypt Ghouls
Instead of normal deployment, you can set up these units on the 1st movement phase near each other emerging from any table edge.
In each hero phase roll a die for each unit oh ghouls in the Ghoul Patrol to add additional models to that unit.
King's Ghouls
  • 1 Crypt Ghast Courtier
  • 3 units of Crypt Ghouls
  • 1 unit of Crypt Horrors
Immune to battleshock while in their home.
Extra pile in in hero phase.
Royal Mordants
  • 1 Varghulf Courtier
  • 1 unit of Crypt Horrors
  • 1 unit of Crypt Flayers
  • 1 unit of Crypt Ghouls
Each unit in range of the Varghulf can reform around 1 model from that unit. That model cannot move but all the other models in the unit can make an extra move to reform. The unit can still move normally in the movement phase
Royal Menagerie
  • 3 or more units from the following: Terrorgheist / Zombie Dragon
If you general is a Ghoul King, in you hero phase any model in the battalion within range can make an extra move. It can still move normally in the movement phase.
Any model from this battallion which is near another model from the same battallion heals extra wounds in the hero phase.
Flesh-Eater Court
  • 1 Royal Family
  • 1 Attendants at Court
  • 1 Deadwatch
  • 1 Abattoir
  • 1 Ghoul Patrol
  • 1 King's Ghouls
  • 1 Royal Mordants
  • 1 Royal Menagerie
All units in this battalion, including summoned ones make an extra move in the hero phase.
If the general is a Ghoul King in this battalion, he knows all Command abilities from all models in this battalion and can use up to 3 each turn.

Well that it guys! what can I say? Brutal Bonuses! Loving this theme!

Reactions: Oppenheimer

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Nothing to buff the lacking hit rolls, but even so, some very decent looking formations here. Definitely a step up from the single, lackluster formation we got in our alliance book.

Demian

Vampire Count
Oct 28, 2011
So, a Flesh-Eater Court batallion requires you to own a gazillion models and to be facing another "apocalypse" type formation to be balanced?

nice! =D

EDIT: Also, you must consider having up to 15-ish different special rules active at the same time, not counting the special rules each unit inherently has... that's a lot to keep in mind, recounting all those rules alone would make a turn extra long

Reactions: Eyeless

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
So, one needs a smartphone to play the game now (without getting lost in the special rules)? I'm getting old xD

And they saif that AoS will be simple and easy to follow ;)

Eyeless

Wight King
May 17, 2013
Malta
Also guys i know this thread is about the flesh eaters tome but while we're at it i've got a question. if a for example battalion A requires 1 unit of ghouls and 1 unit of horros and battalion B requires 1 unit of ghouls and 1 unit of flayers. If i have 1 unit of ghouls, 1 of horrors and 1 of flayers, can i use both battalions? or would i need 2 units of ghouls? 1 for each battalion?

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Actually, the app is pretty sluggish on my device. I definitely play faster with print outs of the specific units or formations I'm playing.

Anyway, as a general rule, no, my understanding is that models cannot be part of multiple battalions at the same time, for clarity if nothing else, though obviously battalions of battalions are an exception.

Frankly, I don't see anything here that sounds especially confusing, and the super battalion is so large as to put it outside of normal play, so I'm not really getting the negative reactions, here.

Eyeless

Wight King
May 17, 2013
Malta
@Malisteen that's how i interpreted it as well just wanted to clear it out =] Also if we really want to buff out hit rolls we can use the abhorrant ghoul king warscroll from GA Death. the new one's command ability is to summon ghouls, so it depends what you're looking for i guess.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
While technically you can use whatever, I think common best practice will be to use the most current versions of a unit's scrolls, the ones still freely available to your opponents.

Demian

Vampire Count
Oct 28, 2011
I love the new Flesh-Eaters, don't get me wrong...

it's just that (app or not, since the app will not group all special abilities a single unit/hero has available, from formations, etc all at once) I think it will be extra-confusing or at least, time consuming having all those effects active at once.

Oppenheimer

Varghulf
May 26, 2013
Look at it from an another point of view. The ghoul kings are mad and delusioned. They think of themselves as of kings (Brettonia-style), regular ghouls are their man-at arms (they are even called so in the ghast hero ability text), horrors and flayers are proud knights, and varghulfs are shining paladins.

Just read the first half dozen pages of the tome. It really doubles down on this idea. I actually quite like the way they are doing it and the relationship the ghoul kings have to the other vampires. It's all written very evocatively. I particularly like the tale about how the first ghoul king was created by Neferata because a beautiful vampire spurned her.

I might try running with this idea and creating an army where they all have rediculiously flowery names but are just all crypt ghouls and the like.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu