• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
So the thing is that my friend and I are preparing a classic matchup in a Grand Siege scenario. We've created a story and scenario based in Kislev and it will be Hordes of Chaos versus Kislev/Empire Alliance.

In preparing for this battle we've put on hold our regular projects and focused on adding stuff that will bring that extra to the overall look of the battlefield.

Here for example we are constructing Norscan Longships to assault the city of Erengrad from the sea:

And here's the beginning of my converted Kislev allies.

Kislev lance:

The goal is to create a 9th age 3000pts Kislev/Empire of Sonstahl army (roughly 1500pts 8th edition) so they'll also form a standard army for future battles. This will include 3-4 characters, 10 basic cavalry, 5 elite cavalry, big block of infantry and a triplet of knights on beasts.
Will post more pics with further progression!

Sessioni

Black Knight
Dec 29, 2014
I just went through your plog again, and I must say your painting skill has really developed throughout the years big time! That Krell in a previous page is some über work. Have you just started playing 9th age?

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
@Adam_Barrow
Thank you! I hope they won't disappoint you ;)

@Sessioni
Thank you very much for the praise friend! It helps to have access to so much inspiration on this forum :)
No, I've been playing 9th age for quite some time now with a friend but it's just recently I became more active with local gaming-groups. It's very motivating for painting new stuff :)

So summer is here and that usually means a long hiatus hobby-wise. I move to a different place every summer for work and thus my stuff is usually left at home until September.
The Kislev stuff have to be put on hold until then since it's back home but I did manage to bring some paints. Hopefully I'll manage to acquire some minis and at least complete something a rainy day :p

As it is, here are pics of the Kislev guys right before I left:

Converted Gryphon Legion:
I intend to complete a unit of five with command. They're a mix of empire pistoliers, knights and high elf white lions :)

This is the Rota master of my force:
Evgeniy Smirnhof, better known by his nom de guerre 'The Bloody Boyar' (imaginary candy to the one who recognize the reference in the name) ;)

I tried to make him look serious but also kind of a drunk. It's certainly not lemonade in that bottle ;)

Next up is Rodion Rukorovich, Kislev banner bearer. The banner is inspired by the Polish two-headed white eagle but as a white gryphon instead :)

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Ah, Kislev, that makes me happy. Good to see you working on them, I thought they got forgotten ;) They look great and the color schemes are terrific, very nice job :) That greatsword head on the Boyar is a nice idea, I have to steal it at some point ;)

But I have to point out that Poland never had a two-headed eagle as their symbol - it's Russia that has it and it's also not white ;) That thing aside, it's actually a good symbol for a Kislev force - Poland has a white eagle, Russia has a two-headed eagle and Czech have a griffon - merging it all gives you that banner of yours xD

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
@Farmer7574 Thanks! Glad you like it! I figured the alcohol keeps you going in Kislev ;)

@Borgnine Oh! That's embarrassing! The inspiration definitely came from polish red and white flag (EU4) but I remembered it incorrectly! As you yourself say it is indeed the Russian eagle that is two headed! I had no idea the Czech had a griffon, how about that.
Changing the eagle into a griffon was just a spur of the moment thing to make it more "warhammerfantasyfied" :) maybe I should also add the crown?
Works ok anyway I guess ;)

Glad you approve of the color schemes! Steal away, I'm looking forward to what you'll create with that head!

I'm a bit short on updates but hope to at least post something before summer ends! Cheers all!

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
Finally a new update! It's been to long since I last worked on a project, how I've missed it. More Kislev stuff this time, a finished unit in fact: The Gryphon Legion.

These are converted from various empire parts but also with other armybits in the mix. I'm quite happy with the result.

Charge!

Grouped together:

Closer on the standard:

And with boyars:

Let me know what you think :)

Sessioni

Black Knight
Dec 29, 2014
They look very good! You nailed the horses' warpaints, very accurately painted indeed. I also like the thinner than GW style lances, they look better like that. And the banners look awesome as well. You really did a very good job on these, keep it up! :)

edit. I almost missed the Hannibal Lecter one, nice :D

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
@Sessioni Thank you! I used the tutorial from the official Kislev book from GW for the warpaint. It was quite fun to try :)
Glad you like the lances. I got the idea from a thread with converted Kislev (I think his name was DukeDonald or something) and I really like it. The long thinner spears make them look so different from regular knights.
Haha, yeah the Lecter-mask is a poor attempt to make a faceplate for protection like this:

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
New Kislev update! I imagine this gentleman to be the Grand Master of the Gryphon Legion, Tordimir Lubovasyn a.ka the white Gryphon. Or something :p I just took the name from wikipage. He'll be in command of Erengrads defences once my friend and I actually gets around to play it ;)
The mini is from Forgeworld with a few additions. Most notable the backwings.

On foot:

And a group-shot!

Hope to get some more painted this weekend!

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
They are so cool, especially their commander on that demigryph! I'll copy it if I'll ever get to doing some living kislevites ;) From where do you have all the wings? Some hunting on ebay or something else?

Reactions: Nagash Worshiper

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
The ones on the commander are from a Death Angel bike, correct? I have one here, and it looks preeeetty similar ;) :D You make me like models that I don't plan to like, I don't have much sympathy for the kislevic models, but your take on them here is great! Love the details you put in there, and the colorful scheme. Very impressive!

Reactions: Nagash Worshiper

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
@Borgnine
Thank you! Glad they're working! I would really like to see what manner of Kislevites you would come up with, a fan of the undead ones ;)
The wings are actually from a company selling conversion-bits called Maxmini. They're quite cheap and good looking but a bit fragile with thin resin. Completely worth it to make Kislev though :)
http://maxmini.eu/conversion-bits/equipment-and-accessories/hussar-wings-bits

@Theerteen
You are indeed correct my friend! Since he's bigger with more robust full-plate armor I kind of liked the idea of more unique looking back-wings.
Hahaha! Well I'll take that as a compliment! It's a bit weird how Kislev is a mix of cultures and historic concepts (GW huh ;) ), I get the feeling that they're a faction some like and some don't. Thank you very much for the praise friend! Appreciate it!

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
Had lots of time on my hands out of nowhere so decided to finish another unit. Had to wait until today to get pictures though ;)
A Kislev force wouldn't be complete without a good ol' unit of bear cavalry! I play these as demigryphs :)

For The glory of Ursun!

Reactions: Adam_Barrow

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
So frickin' cool! Better than Demigryphs! If Kislev will ever be expanded in Total War Warhammer, their monstrous cavalry should look exactly like that :) Are they sold somewhere like this - and if not, how did you build/convert them?

Thanks for the link for Maxmini. A polish manufacturer, doing hussar wings... that's so obvious, I should have thought about it. :slapface: Good that my poor attempt at making those myself actually fits a zombie hussar I done lately - or I would be really mad for not knowing about those bits earlier ;)

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
@Borgnine
Haha! Excellent! They really have to make a Kislev unique faction, right? After the Norsca faction with Fimirs it's only fair to make proper Kislev ;)
Hmm, it's a rather easy conversion. Damn, now I wish I'd made some wip-pics :)
The components are:
- Old Winged Lancer torsos (GW).
- Maxmini wings.
- Empire (GW) pistolier legs with greenstuffed clothing outside and widened so as to fit on the back of the bears.
- Bears from Mierce miniatures (Kraan Untain of Baalor on bear) with lots of spikes and evil symbols removed and also some repositioning of the legs to make the bears a bit different. The price for the model is way to much but you can order the bear parts separately for 25£ (still a serious amount of treasure in my opinion but worth it)
http://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=pro&pre=mrm_dkl_fmr_blr_wld_102_000

Yeah they got lots of cool conversion stuff on Maxmini! They're quite cheap for the amount of quality.

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
Made a test-mini for a future unit of Black Knights and I think it looks ok. I've used very dark brown and green for the vines as I didn't want them to "pop" or something like that.

Reactions: Adam_Barrow

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
@Adam_Barrow
Thanks man!

I recently completed a diorama for our Turning the world to darkness competition :)
Wall of pictures bellow, a bit excessive but I can't figure out which of them to post here so I'll just post them all ;)

Title:
"A chance meeting on the old road to Praag".

Miniatures:
Kislev Gryphon Legion and Black Knight.

Story:
(I apologize if I've butchered any Kislev fluff with my story. I intended to read up a bit more on Kislev in the Ambassador Chronicles and Riders of the Dead but time ran out).

The full moon lit the country road, illuminating the surrounding farms and a lone man clad in furs with a sturdy axe hefted at his side.

Vladic was on his way home from the local inn, a bit unsteady but nothing he wouldn't sleep of. Shoika, his wife, would smack him on the head if he ever complained about a headache in the morning.

Up ahead the main road turned into the old Praag road. The doomed city was still many miles away but even so people said the road was somehow cursed and generally used other paths instead. Last year someone had even found a dead Kossar by the side of the road.

He didn't care much about it. Death was part of everyday life in the north. "The blood of Kislev was civilizations shield" went an old saying and Vladic couldn't agree more.

Suddenly a knight on horseback appeared on the road as if conjured from the shadows. Vladic blinked as his drunken mind took in more details. Man and horse was in fact not man and horse at all. Not alive at least. Ghostly lights flashed from the riders empty eye sockets as it caught sight of him and spurred it's mount to charge.

Vladic was a Kossar. He'd fought nightmares more than once. He also knew his chances of surviving this night. Sobered by the moment he unhefted his axe and sent a last thought of love for Shoika and chuckled. The woman would find a way to haunt him in the afterlife, not the other way around.

From behind, as if appearing out of a story, a gospodar knight calmly rode up beside him.
"You better leave this one to me Kossar", the riders eyes never left the approaching dark knight, "run and wake your neighbouring comrades. With a bit of luck you'll gather enough men for us to handle this".

Vladic turned and ran to the nearest farm as if Ursun himself was chasing him.

Behind him the riders of the dead charged at full speed towards each other.
The difference in the ground is supposed to represent the road getting "darker" the closer it gets to Praag. Also seem some kind person dedicated a small shrine for the dead Kossar that Vladic was thinking about. Hopefully his soul found it's way to Ursuns halls.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu