• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
Time to show some progress on Neferata! I have to apologise for the bad quality of the pictures! The mini look much better in real life.

I think most of the mini follows the standard pant theme seen on GWs website but with a bit more gold, she's a queen after all ;) (also I kind of like how Arkhan uses reins to ride his Dread Abyssal so I added those).

I don't know if anyone have experienced any problems with transporting the mortarchs or had it breaking but out of caution I pinned it for extra supporta and it can be disassembled for transport :)

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
@Farmer7574 Haha, well get a day of from work with nothing to do will get a lot off hobby done ;)
Glad you like the red and green contrast, I was worried it might be to much.

I completely forgot! I meant to ask anyone watching what to do about the Dread Abyssal claws. In the fifth picture there's one paw with bone claws and the others are red. I liked to use the red as much as I could but meant to ask you all if I should keep the red claws or make them all bone? What do you think?

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Going strong! Great job on Nef ;) I think the contrast works well - and that's also why red claws would also work. They create this frame of red points around the black and green beast and make a nice composition. Leaving them black as the rest of the bones would also work, but it's not as interesting as red ones. I'm only worried if red glossy claws won't look as nail polish ;) But from the color composition standpoint, it's definitely a way to go xD

It's also pretty strange not seeing here updates on Harkon's ship anymore....

benvoliothefirst

Grave Guard
Nov 22, 2011
I'm definitely considering some sort of pinning/support for my Mortarchs. I glued it together per the instructions but it seems pretty floppy.

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
@Borgnine Well if anyone in my gaming group mentions nail polish they're gone the same day, until then I think I'll keep them red ;)
I promise to post some pictures of the Dark Maiden soon! Preferably lots of them and on a water-gaming table in battle with other ships ;)

@benvoliothefirst I guess it should be constructed in a way so it shouldn't break? Right? I think I'm going paranoid!

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
I've taken a break from the Mortarchs to participate in the Turning the World to Darkness. It's a Special Unit from either Vampire Counts or Tomb Kings and I chose the latter.
So I took the opportunity to assemble a new unit I've been planing for a while. It is my own version of the Necropolis Knights from Warhammer Tomb Kings, converted from various bits.
They are ghouls (physically bigger and stronger than regular crypt ghouls) riding Worms as they hunt prey.

Will post more pics as soon as I can!

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
God damnit, that is a crazy good idea, it fits the rules, is similiar to the original and looks totally kickass! How did you build those riders?

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
@Borgnine
Haha, I was a bit worried it might be wierd but I still liked the idea of the concept. Glad to see someone else liked it too :)
The riders are made from GW Bloodletters with weapons from the GW Goblin sprue.

@Adam_Barrow
Haha! Nice! Glad you like them! I'll fill in my entry soon! Will you add something as well?

And they're done! I'm satisfied with the result. I'm thinking of adding warpaint, like American natives, in color of blood. Kind of how the Savage Orcs paint themselves. What do you think?

Reactions: Sessioni

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Oh! The really pale worm colour is unexpected*, but I really like it! :)

* I don't actually know what I did expect, but I was surprised anyway! ;)

Reactions: Nagash Worshiper

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
Won't be at the paint desk any time soon, I fear. Life's been in the way. But I'm glad this board still sees a lot of action. It keeps my spirits up.

On topic, those worms look so rad. And a good, inexpensive alternative to boot. I may have this in mind if I go to make any Stalkers since my 40k wolves have the Necropolis Knights covered. Cheers for the inspiration.

Reactions: Nagash Worshiper

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
@Shadespyre Haha, well as long as it's ok I guess ;) I didn't realy have a plan when I started painting them and just rolled with it ;)

@edwardvlad Well that's good! The pale color was inspired by me thinking of maggots but even though it turned out different I'm quite pleased ;)

@Adam_Barrow Haha, I know the feeling :) life always seem to get in the way of everything!
Glad to inspire! They would work as Stalkers! Not a bad idea. Maybe without riders in that case?

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
They turned out awesome! That pale colour really fits creatures that dwell underground ;) And those bloodletter bodies look great on them, good decision :thumbsup: That red warpaint could've added some focal points, but it's probably too late for that - and they look nicely 'dry' with the current colour scheme nevertheless :)

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
@Farmer7574 Thanks! Wondering what the next theme will be ;)

@Borgnine Thanks! I've looked a bit at native American Indians and it considering to make something like that in black and blood.

So I got some time to spare and felt it was high time to add another Mortarch. This time it's The Lord of Undeath, Mortarch of Despair, Krell. It was a very fun mini to paint! I heartedly recommend it for anyone who have an interest in Krell or a Wight King! Once again I got some inspiration for the verdigris effect from @Farmer7574 cheers!

Already started on the next Mortarch ;)

Reactions: Borgnine

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Well, I second that recommendation - one of the best models created by GW in my opinion ;) Very, very nice work on him - that verdigris looks great on the red armour - and that shade of gold is also very pleasing :thumbsup:

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
@Farmer7574 @Borgnine @Eternal Salvation Thank you all for the praise. You are great!

Wow, it's been a while since my latest update. It's always annoying when real life gets in the way of the hobby ;) anyway, I've not been completely idle so here comes another converted Mortarch of Nagash!

The Nameless, a once great enchanter, has rissen and hungers for souls to enslave! This one was a but tricky as there's very few references to how The Nameless look. It did however leave design open for interpretation. This is the only entry in the ET books I've found for inspiration:

So the way The Namless flies away, a form of billowing smoke and shadow, made me think of the flying Dementors in the Harry Potter movies. I also wanted him to be towering and intimidating.

From the back

My take on the mask mentioned is inspired by the video game Fable and a character called Jack of the blades, it's supposed to be ornate and grotesque at the same time. Maybe I'll change it later but for now it works.

Lastly I wanted to visulize how The Namless takes control over others and went for strings reaching down from his ethereal hands. Oh no, he's taken possession of Krell! Or was it Nagash plan all along?

As Krell comes into contact with more undeads the Namelss continue to gather puppets!

It seems Krell escaped but the Grave Guards are still slaving under the spirit.

Some questions:
1. What do you think of the way he's built on a 40mm base? It's meant to make it possible for him to possess any kind of character in the game.
2. What do you think of the strings? Keep them? Remove them? Change their color? Use something else for threads etc... I'm a bit torn on how they turned out.
Appreciate all comments!
Cheers!

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
Really cool idea! I dig how big he is, and the black and green works a treat. The hero base slot is somethinf I never would have thought of. Really slick! I'm with you on the magic effect, I think it's an awesome effect that's almost there.

Have you seen the lightening effect Skaven players make out of paperclips? They'll bend jagged edges in the wire to get some motion out of them. Maybe an option if you like the look.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
It's so good to see you back! And with another Mortarch! Niiice!

I love how you put him on a 40mm base, that is a really good use of his fluff. As for the magical strings - it's a nice idea, but I have a similiar suggestion as above - maybe they shouldn't be so straight? I would make them wavy and swirly, like magical tendrils that are descending onto an unfortunate soul. Straight ones would work if you had a fixed mini to be used as a puppet, being mounted at the joints and all. If they are separate from the posessed, making them less straight should make a good impression.

I also really like the mask, it's a cool focal point for the whole miniature. Another idea I had while thinking about him was to make his face completely featureless. That would need some creative painting to avoid making it look lazy... Small stars on a black sky or a magical swirl of some sort... I'm not sure. The mask is cool as it is ;)

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
@Adam_Barrow
Thank you! Glad you like the concept. I'm trying to figure out some rules for him and I've been looking a bit at the Tumarkhan (rip) for inspiration.
I had a look at the warp lightening suggestion and think I can easily bend the paperclips that are in place already so should go smoothly :)

@Borgnine
Thanks! I feel kind of bad for not checking in more often. Always nice to get a warm welcome.
I'm glad you like it! I was quite satisfied myself when the idea hit me :). As I said to Mr. Barrow I'll start with bending the strings that are already in place and see if it's a better look. I can see what you mean, it makes sense, as he's controlling more puppets than one and also in a way that since the character that slides into his base is never the same I can't measure the strings to any joints either. Good suggestions!
Hmm! An interesting idea on the mask! Do you mean like a regular mask without a mouth carved and such? Like a mask painted as the Empire Heaven Wizards globes and robes usually have some stars and such. Would be so cool!

@Sharkbelly
Thank you sir! Glad you like the concept! Or maybe I should have added a pirate hat ;)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu