• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
At first, I was a bit disappointed that you are doing experiments with black knights instead of creating something epic for the competition ;) Somehow it didn't come to me that it's for the competition xD And it looks just beyond awesome! It's actually quite simple, but it works so well and creates a very cool narrative :bowdown:

Reactions: Nagash Worshiper

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
So I've been working on a Kislev special character: Tzarina Katarin, Ice Queen of Kislev.

Pictures:

I've tried to take inspiration from her original look with some alterations in color. The horse is painted with the warpaint that is so common in Kislev cavalry but instead of red I went with blue. Her hair is currently blonde instead of black because I thought it would enhance the whole "ice Queen aura".

I need some advice, because I'm kind of torn on how it is turning out at the moment.

- Are the colors working overall?
- Should I remove the warpaint or change color?
- Should the jewels on her dress be painted in some other color to make them pop? Maybe just make them gold?
- Should I alter the colors on her dress?
- to me the icicles seem a bit misplaced, should I do something different with the base?
- Should I remove the horn on the unicorn and make it a big warhorse instead?

Please send me suggestions to improve her, I would really appreciate it!

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
Hey mate, a beautiful model you got there! If it's what you want, here my thoughts about it:

The colours of the queen herself work really well. Frost speaks outta her overall presence, and the details do their job perfectly also.
The horse and the base is what makes me wonder if there could be some alterations, in the way you suggested yourself. Yep, no unicorn, and hell yeah, more war steed. Ice is fragile, but it can be an avalanche too! Let her be the sharp ice needle, riding frost and destruction! I would try to paint the base white and brightly blue, that should let the icicles work much better. That would be my thoughts about her, while I already like her very much!

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Nagash Worshiper I think I'd do away with the warpaint and probably turn the mount into a warhorse. You're right about those gems too, they need to stand out a bit more - gold would work, although I think I'd go for purple or green. Regarding the icicles, I reckon the smaller ones work nicely here but the bigger ones are a bit overkill.

That said, the conversion itself is awesome and you're on to something really cool here. Your mini is much better than the inspirational pics you've posted.

The Gunslinger

Skeleton
May 12, 2012
Manchester
A really good looking model, I love the conversion work you have done.
My only suggestion is to give the horse another look, the colours are very blocky and flat, maybe a wash and some highlights are needed?

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Maybe I can still throw something?

- Are the colors working overall?
Yeah, I really like the white-blue monochrome scheme you have for her. Even without any contrasting reds, that's the strength of this character and it works really good.
- Should I remove the warpaint or change color?
That blue warpaint itself is an awesome twist on the traditional Kislevite red warpaint. It looks kinda plastic-like right now, maybe some highlights are indeed in order?
- Should the jewels on her dress be painted in some other color to make them pop? Maybe just make them gold?
They are a bit dull right now, but I would still try to keep them in that monochromatic scheme and avoid warm colors. Maybe much lighter blue, with strong, strong highlights full of contrast?
- Should I alter the colors on her dress?
They seem plenty fine to me.
- to me the icicles seem a bit misplaced, should I do something different with the base?
They seem even more plenty fine to me.
- Should I remove the horn on the unicorn and make it a big warhorse instead?
The unicorn idea clashes with the warpaint in my opinion. I wouldn't certainly smother paint on a pure and glorious unicorn. But the warpaint idea is so cool, I would rather ditch the horn.

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
Wow, sorry guys for not replying earlier! Your opinions matter a lot and have been very helpful so far.
The hobby has been on a hiatus for a while and might be quite lagging until December when work gets a bit less hectic. While I don't have any pictures of the Tzarina right now I have been working on your suggestions of improvement.

@Theerteen
The base is now more icy. An excellent suggestion! Thanks!

@Farmer7574
The horn of the unicorn is now gone :) it now look like a big warhorse, an improvement! Thanks for input friend.

@Adam_Barrow
Well glad you liked the unicorn my friend but I'm sorry to say that the creature was in an accident which resulted in emergency surgery. The horn had to be removed but the creature is all well and fine now! :)

@The Gunslinger
I'm currently working a bit more on the horse with your input in mind :) it's working well so far. Shading realy brings out more details. Thanks!

@Borgnine
Thanks for input! I'm still torn on the warpaint. Right now I'm painting half the horse with warpaint and the other without, for comparison.

Reactions: Adam_Barrow

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
As I said, no pics of the Tzarina this time. Mainly because work has been mental and therefore production's been limited to only one project. Also I felt that if I were to complete something it would have to be a converted Mortarch of Nagash for the competition. So here goes!

Dieter Helsnicht, The Doomlord of Middenheim and, during the End Times, raised to the rank of mortarch.

I call him Mortarch of Death since most of what he does is a mad scramble for more knowledge to either prolong his lifespan or increase his potential as a necromancer.
"There were few who walked the world before whom Dieter Helsnicht would bow. Arkhan, however, was one of them [...] In awe, Helsnicht bent his knee before the liche. He had spoken vows of servitude in the language of ancient Nehekhara, eager to demonstrate his own knowledge [...] but the ancient necromancer was already slipping, reverting back to the madman who had spent many hundreds of years poring over the same ancient tomes, greedily seeking further secrets to prolong his unlife [...] Even before Krell's army advanced out of the Marches of Madness, the Doomlord, Dieter Helsnicht, had already consumed the brains of three of his fellow necromancers."
Warhammer End Times: Nagash: p. 223.
"Volsh bounced around badly, nearly falling into the corpses piled in the back as the zombies pulling his cart churned through the mud. Krell's commands pressed inside his mind, demanding Volsh to push his charges, to drive them. He was mid-way through the incantation when he noticed the Master Necromancer Dieter Helsnicht overhead again. He was beginning a long, circling glide, coming lower and lower.
Volsh cursed in his native Kislev - he had lost concentration on his spell, but that was not why he muttered. Despite Volsh's fervent wishes, Helsnicht was landing nearby.
Even before the winged beast had set down, the Doomlord was addressing him.
'Lagging, always lagging. Your flank is to slow. Tell me again what incantations you are using and the order in which you invoke them,' said Helsnicht, raising his voice to a shriek so that he could be heard over the sloshing, churning march of the zombie legions through the knee-deep sludge.
Panic rising, Volsh tried to keep fear out of his voice, willing his stumbling tongue to form the right words.
'I was using the incantation from V... Vanhel, Master Helsnicht,' blurted Volsh, hating himself for cowering before those penetrating eyes bearing down upon him.
Dieter Helsnicht repeated the elemental laws of Undead, as he began to dismount. At that moment, the necromancer Pieter Duphrie and another zombie formation emerged out of the marsh thickets. Catching sight of the newcomers, Helsnicht kicked his beast and took to skies once more, mumbling something derogatory about 'peasant-filled Kislev'.
Volsh watched the Doomlord depart into the gloom. He was pleased to see him go, and he couldn't help but think there was something - hunger or greed? - that had gleamed madly in the master necromancer's eyes.
Volsh thought again of his comrade Mortemer, the necromancer out of Mousillon. Somehow, he had been slain, and his skull had been hollowed out. Now Mortemer trudged along as part of the nearby zombie regiment that he himself had once controlled. Volsh did not know what exactly had happened to his fellow necromancer, but he was beginning to have his suspicions.
Warhammer End Times: Nagash, p. 223.

Here is once again the inspirational photo from End Times that I've used for Dieter:

In the old fluff he rides a manticore but in the End Times it just says that he rides a bat winged Undead creature.
"Dieter Helsnicht encountered no difficulties within the swamp, for he was mounted atop a bat-winged monstrosity of his own construction"
Warhammer End Times Nagash: p. 222.
My interpretation is that this winged nightmare once was his manticore but has been altered over time to suit his masters needs. It is loaded with unholy books and scrolls as Dieter is jealous of his research.

In the story Dieter is transformed into a three headed creature and therefore I found it fitting that his mount should also mirror this. Maybe the new form was him merging with his old mount? ;)

In his old rules he carries a Chaos Rune Sword and therefore I couldn't resist to add a Chaos Warrior sword in the mouth of the snake :p

The effect I'm going for is Dieter soaring over his army, skeletons rising in the wake of his passing, his staff glowing from potent evocations, filling the Undead with unnatural vigour.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
Oh boy, that base is great! Fantastic idea and execution, this my friend is what necromancy is all about! I like Dieter himself too, but the base blasts me off. Great.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Yet another entry from you and awesome as always, you own this ;) I love how much thought you put into it, how well researched he is, with citations and all xD The idea is great and you executed it well. That shade of red looks great in all those greys and Dieter's things on the beast's back also look super, I really like such clutter ;)

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
@Borgnine thank you! The background just helps so much with inspiration and motivation right ;) the smaller details also add up in the end, like with your zombiedon :)

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
Small update on the Ice Queen, I've been doing small progress on her over the past weeks. A few minutes here and there between the rest of life ;)
I'm quite satisfied with her and aside from polishing the base I nights just call it. Took the advice from all of you by heart and the unicorn is gone. The jewels on her dress turned into pearls (there's gloss varnish on them) and the armor got a few details to.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
@Nagash Worshiper Excellent mortarch conversion mate. Really nice use of the necro mini on the IoB elf bird, they work surprisingly well! The three heads and dragons wings turns that eagle into a truly evil-looking beast.

And then there's your ice queen - she's looking a lot better riding a plain white horse rather than a unicorn with warpaint. She has a much more elegant appearance now. Love the basing too.

Great stuff.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
I think it's such a pity that the horse lost its warpaint! Oh well ;) She still turned out mighty fine, Elsa got pretty badass :thumbsup: The cold color scheme turned out awesome :)

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
@Borgnine
Hmm, I tried the warpaint and the mini became to blue but I'm considering using it on another model. Maybe a mounted priest of Ursun (if I ever come around to make one). Thanks for the praise!

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
So! Winter has come and what better way to spend the cold days than inside, drinking warm beverage and painting minis! I intend to increase the quality of some minis but I just posted these on the 9th age website and felt that I also had to post something here before Christmas! So here goes. For mother Kislev!

6x Ungol Horse Archers

6x Ungol Horse Archers

6x Ungol Horse Archers

40x Kislev Halberds

10x Winged Lancers

Nagash Worshiper

Black Knight
Dec 24, 2014
Since there's winged hussars in my Kislev army, I thought it would be a cool idea to include an iconic fantasy-hero from Poland :) I'm a huge fan of the witcher games (sadly haven't read the books yet) and Geralt of Rivia inspired this model:

It was a bit hard but I think it works, somewhat ;)

A witcher potion, a rolled up map and the trophies of some slain enemies:

A pity he dropped these. I can imagine how he was sorting through his deck on the road to Novigrad, eh, I mean Erengrad, when he spotted a monster and had to charge. Later after the mission a peasant probably took them from the road and now he has to endure a 2 hour quest going from village to village searching for his missing cards ;)

No witcher would go anywhere without a loaded crossbow and a couple of handmade bombs ät the ready ;)

The colors are mostly inspired from the earlier games in the series as I found the iconic look from the third instalment made him look almost completely covered in dark brown leather. It looks cool in the game but made him very bland as a miniature.
Since a big part of the witcher games is planning ahead of a fight and choosing your equipment accordingly I wanted to somewhat capture this. Therefore, he is not realy holding any weapon but rather preparing to draw one depending on what he's fighting :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu