• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Soviet_Dan

Zombie
Jul 16, 2014
I am a fairly new player and I am just curious how everyone typically makes Blender Lords or combat vampires. ( the hero ones). Right now I only have. 1500 points of pure infantry. Any suggestions/ recommendations would be awesome :)

Banat

Varghulf
Jul 13, 2014
1500pts of pure infantry? Zombies, Skellies and Ghouls? Ee gad zukes how many models is that!?

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
My favourite blender lord : :konrad:

Vlord, hvy armour, shield, Tali pres, OTS, Ogre blade, Red Fury, Quick Blood, Beguile

Also leaves room for a Master necro lvl 4 if playing at 2500pts.

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
Dec 23, 2012
Oregon
Vampire Lord - red fury, quick blood, beguile, great weapon, talisman of preservation, OTS, night shroud, heavy armor, level 2 lore of vampires (level 4 if no other level 4 LoV caster)

Vampire - quick blood, dreadknight, potion of foolhardiness, dragonhelm, seed of rebirth, Book of Arkhan, great weapon, heavy armor, level 2 lore of vampires, BSB

Soviet_Dan

Zombie
Jul 16, 2014
And idk how many models but I max out my VL, bring 1 vamp then 2 necromancers. The rest is infantry

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
This is great! Should I be concerned with a ward or armor save at all?

Re: Vlord, hvy armour, shield, Tali pres, OTS, Ogre blade, Red Fury, Quick Blood, Beguile

Yes this build has a 4+ armour, 4++ ward, 5 S7 attacks with an extra attack for each unsaved wound inflicted, ASF with likely rerolls to hit, opponents must reroll successful ward saves, and a good chance of opponent having to reroll successful to hit rolls. It is a true Close Combat monster :suck:

Alabaster427

Minister of Thriftiness
Dec 9, 2013
At 1500, I bring VL, Heavy Armor, shield, Additional Hand Weapon, Red Fury, Quickblood, Beguile, Dragon helm, Potion of Strength. I don't take magic weapons because I play a lot of HE and Banner of the World Dragon is stupid. I also take Mannfred (Acolyte) and a WK that either carries Nightshroud or OTS and Obsidian Amulet. Either way, the WK also takes either Ironcurse Icon and/or Warrior Bane. Sometimes, I switch out Beguile for Dread Knight, but only for things where I think I might be able to get more out of a challenge then in the unit.

Jul 7, 2014
At 1500 how about mounting your vampire Lord and taking enchanted shield HA and Dawnstone along with RF and a lance for the anti - magic elf and orc banners. That's a 1+, 1+ save!

Soviet_Dan

Zombie
Jul 16, 2014
And I don't have any other cavalry to run him with. I'd consider giving him fly to run with fell bats/bat swarms

Jul 7, 2014
Make sure he has joined the unit before committing him to a combat with a large tough unit like 20+ chaos warriors ranked up 5 × 4 or the crumble will kill you as the Skeletons or Zombies are unlikely to kill anything so its your Lords 5 attacks with at best 11 kills, against a possible 16 kills from the WoC so you can lose by just 3 and our expensive Lord is dead.

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
What would be an appropriate build for killing a chaos lord with a 1+ and a 3++?

Killed a WoC Lord with 1+ and 4++ (which re-rolls 1's on ward save) with this:

Strigoi Ghoul King - Giant Blade, The Other Trickster's Shard, Dragonbane Gem, Red Fury, Beguile, Aura of Dark Majesty

So pretty much any of the Vampire Lords mentioned here should do the work as well. The SGK is a glass cannon tho, and has much less protection.

Reactions: najo

Soviet_Dan

Zombie
Jul 16, 2014
Okeydoke thanks for the ideas everyone :) I'm in the middle if a huge move from RSM, CA to Wearherford, TX so I've been painting and gluing and packing instead of playing xD

Jul 7, 2014
I meant would it be better to put him in a unit of GG instead of crumbly zombies
Grave Guard do ok on their own but after you've deployed you can chose where he'll be most affective, if he's mounted he shouldn't have too much trouble leaving 1 unit and joining another anyway if you think you need him somewhere else.

Swissdictator

Vampire Count
True Blood
Apr 16, 2008
Wisconsin
Aura of Dark Majest + Beguille is a great combo. It makes it harder to get hits on your vampire which makes them far more survivable. I like this alongside the power that gives you +2 WS. High WS makes that combo even better. The sooner you can make them fail on their attacks, the better. Plus Aura is helpful in general as well.

Quickblood is a very solid choice, I never leave the lair without at least giving it to my Lord and maybe the hero as well.

I currently give the Ogre blade to my Lord. High strength, without having ASL? Yes, please. It tears up monsters, characters, chariots, etc. Against knights it carves through armor with easy. The only time it really doesn't make a difference is T3 rank and file (elves usually can get decent saves on their characters, so it helps against their characters). However, if my lord is striking RaF than he probably has no other targets.

While Red Blood is *very* nice, I find it hard to take. There are a lot of other powers I really like, mainly because I want some general support powers from him (Aura of Dark Majesty being a primary one, and even fear incarnate). I figure that if I tool him up right, he can kill a character on the first go. Plus if I give him proper support to the unit a couple extra kills on the unit won't be so critical.

Current Lord?

Vampire Lord (general)
Talisman of Preservation, Dragon Helm, Ogre Blade, Ironcurse Iron
Quick Blood, Aura of Dark Majesty, Fear Incarnate, Beguile, Dread Knight
Heavy Armor, Shield

Current Hero?

Vampire
Aura of Dark Majesty, Beguille, Dread Knight (meant to handle characters too)
2+ Armor item, Dragonbane Gem
Extra hand weapon

The extra hand weapon on her gives enough attacks to be a threat to all, plus she should be tough to hit. So she can swing away regularly. I am nervous of her not having ASF, but it should work.

MageoftheBones

Skeleton
Sep 27, 2013
Red Fury, Beguile, Ogre Blade, Always Strike First power, and other's tricksters shards always make it on my battle Lord these days. I have also started mounting him and running him with a black knight bus.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu