• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

killed by 1 zombie

RE: Share your best/worse lucky/bad luck in-game experience

I had a fresh-raised unit of five zombies not only withstand a charge from five of those TK light cavalry, but win combat for two rounds in a row before taking losses themselves. The way the dice were rolling that day, the zombies could have annihilated the cavalry, if my opponent hadn't raised them back.

Two days ago, my Cold One Knights (9+hero) they lose stupidity while my general is in 12". As a result they have been charged by a unit of Minautors with a lord inside. They overrun me, I roll the dice to flee and in 3 dices my roll is 1-1-2 and they catch my knights with their only one d6 for persue. Damn fecking luck I say!!!:mad2:

Marcus Von Drac

Vampire Thrall

Eeek. I have all my luck in 40K.
My marines against my mates Tau. This game was horrible. Everything went badly wrong. My Power weapon armed captain + Command squad of killiness spent 3 turns trying and failing to kill one Kroot. That alien dodged everything I threw at him, I just couldn't hit him, despite needing 3's!!!

Then to counter that was my marines vs an Eldar army. Over the first 3 turns my army was ripped to peices, including my second worse peice of luck ever: My Terminators loosing 1 member of their squad to shruiken catapult fire, then the remaining 4 being beaten in combat by 10 Eldar guardians, killing none! :mad2:. In my combat round of turn 3, I had My power-fist Captain and a Sergeant also with power fist, in combat with an Avatar. that was it. Avatar destoyed the sergeant (not surprising) but my Captain managed to put the death blow to the beast, giving me some small consolation. However, over the next 3 turns that 1 guy went on a rampage, killing (in order):
1 Vyper
1 Fire prism
5 Warp spiders + Warlock
4 Dark reapers
1 Farseer
And guess what the hero died to in the end? Those same 10 Guardians who owned my Termies!
It was a crazy game I tell ya!

Very unlucky opponent:

I managed (in some weird way way) to charge 5 Dire Wolves into the flank of 5 Black Knights. I cause no wounds, neither does he. One Black Knight dies to CR, as he has no command group. Next turn the same thing happens, only two Black Knights die. Same thing next turn, and they were gone!
The Dire Wolves were then eaten by Zombies.
But that's why I always take Dire Wolves!

The very same game:

5 Blood Knights with a Vampire charge 20 Zombies. The 20 Zombies die in a cascade of sticky blood and rotting limbs, and the Knights overrun into another 20 Zombies, where combat is to be resolved next turn, IRRC.
Next turn, in a stroke of genius and enlightenment, I send over my Banshee, and howl at them, rolling 9, killing 4 Blood Knights like that. Words could not describe his disappointment. The unit began to crumble, at the Wraiths left the lone Vampire fighting for his life, against Zombies. A fight he eventually lost to CR.:devil2:

This was in a 2 x 1000 point game, and both these things happened to the same player. He really didn't have much left.. We scored a narrow victory, really because we were playing a Messenger-game.:clown:

Grish

Liche
True Blood

Think I had my best stroke of luck yet!

Playing Orcs vs. VC. Had a Black Orc character, and I like to keep em cheap. Had BSB, Amulet of Protectiness and that's it. Charged into the VCs main block along with a bunch of other charges (I Waaghed! with magic). VC lord challenged, and I accepted. 3 attacks, 3 wounds, 1 dead vamp lord. He had a 2+ armour save (5+ after my S6 w. Great Weapon was factored in) and missed all 3 Regen saves. Extremely lucky! It was hilarious although the guy looked a bit hurt.

I historically have terrible luck when playing Undead warbands in Mordheim.

In my very first game of Mordheim ever, I had my vamp fail a climbing check, fall two inches (two!), and go out of action. He rolled multiple wounds on the injury chart, resulting in -1 Toughness and -1 Initiative before even getting into combat.

Years later, I was at it again, and was doing reasonably well. The game looked like it was going my way, until I made the mistake of sticking my vamp's head around a corner of a building. Apparently he took a bounty hunter's crossbow bolt to the face and burst into flames, since he went out of action and rolled Dead on the injury chart. From then on, that Undead warband was lead by the necromancer, who had suffered a head wound and was subject to stupidity. That was the most miraculous stupid character ever, though; he could wander into combat drooling and screaming while waving a glowing staff and somehow always survive - though typically, only due to the invention of my beast of a ghoul that had rolled "Lad's Got Talent" and subsequently started eating the faces of the living in addition to the recently deceased.

Actually, I started that band with a group of two ghouls. One died and the other rolled "Lad's Got Talent" in the same game. I didn't think of it at the time, but now I strongly suspect that the one that survived only did so by devouring his brother and somehow absorbing his combat prowess and adding it to his own. It makes sense, in retrospect.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood

Bad Luck:

Last round in a tourney, where I was 3-0, my Brets vs Dwarves. Objective to kill the enemy general. I pray, the Dwarf goes first. No movement. First shot of the game, Cannon at my General. Hits and wounds... Look out sir roll, failed. 4+ Ward save.. also failed... does 4 wounds and I die, on the first shot of the game!

I did end up dragging it out to a draw... but feck.. please make it so Cannons can't snipe in 8th!

More Bad Luck:

No specific effects... but in a 40k league, a few years ago, using Dark Eldar I ended round robin play 16-0-1. They took the op 8 players, so I was seeded versus the 8th place player... who was playing SMurfs. Generally a great match up for me!! I ended up losing that game by a considerable amount! I simply could not buy a dice roll! Example: 6 Dark Lances... only 2 hits, and no wounds! :|

I'll have to thnk up some good luck ones and post them later...

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood

2000pt game vs Wood elves, Its the final turn of the game and i've never beaten the guy before...

It's the final turn of the game my lord is stuck on his own vs a unit of wildriders and stuck in a challange with his lord who has the only hit on 6's in a challange thing. I do no wounds neither does he, I lose by 3 and only have a single wound and a 5+ ward, if I pass all 3 I win, If I fail just one he wins...I pass all three :cool:

Bad luck... how about my lord dieing to 6 skaven giant rats ...I was on full wounds with a 1+ armour 5+ ward :Vampire1:

My best luck was when my unit of gnoblars elected to stand and shoot at acharging gian, killing it with their Sharp Stuff.

My worst luck was when the Giant then fell over, crushing the same unit and causing them to flee. :mrgreen:

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood

This isnt in game, but its hobby related.
When I was a kid, and spoke to a girl who was in a GW store. I said "I didnt know girls are into the hobby"
Turns out it was a guy with a ponytail. Oops.

Swissdictator

Vampire Count
True Blood

Worst experience? Was against someone from MN. The guy was the definition of bad sportsman. He was constantly going on about how "forest spirit" wood elves were easy to beat (never mind the random elf bsb for his two treemen). This was old VC book, and he was saying I sucked because I couldn't out maneuver him. He just went on and on about how I was just a bad general (playing a competitive, but reasonable Strigoi list without any flying vamps mind you) and how he was a tactical genius of some sort. He whined his way through a rules discussion with the TO citing some random event somewhere allowed whatever rule he was debating. He didn't even like the idea of rolling a die to see which superseded which (the old Banner of the Barrows or Annoyance of Netlings). I think he even tried to apply that outside of a challenge. He was just a total tool. It's been a couple years, so I've blocked most of the unpleasantness out... but it was the first time I ever gave a zero sportsmanship score. Since that point I've only given it one other time.

Most unlucky? I can't really recall over the entire course of my gaming experience, but recently in a game of 40k, I was running some Daemons and I had 10 or so wounds on Plaguebearers. Despite having the 5+ invulnerable (basically a ward), and 4+ feel no pain (a lot like regen)... I could only save two or three. Ugh. I give credit to my opponent, as even he was amazed at how unlucky it was. No gripes about the opponent (quite the contrary he was joy to play against), he did what Orks SHOULD do... volume fire.

Dreadgrass

Necromancer

Worst gaming experience was against an Empire player with a gunline who deliberately wasted time during the game (was a tourney with a time restriction) so we only reached turn 3 and, with him playing the 2" shuffle to avoid my charge, my entirely combat based storm of Chaos Nurgle themed daemon army achieved a sum total of 0 points off him who then proceeded to skite to the person beside him how he "obliterated that dirty daemon player..." that was also the one and only time I ever gave a 0 for sports and the Tourney organiser, who witnessed the whole thing, but couldn't do more than try to hurry the b*stard up actually offered to turn a blind eye if I wanted to throw my Exalted daemon (who was insanely heavy and spiky) at him...

Worst luck I've ever seen was against cypher in the old 40K Chaos army, the opponent had cited the rules incorrectly to me and said he had a "4+ Invulnerable save on 3D6" I went along with it and opened up on him, 3 1's later no more cypher... :thumb:

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood

He's right about Kipper in 2nd Ed (at least he is if he knows he still had to take him off the board after the save), but if you were playing anything subsequent to that...

I have had some jolly fun games, and some pretty awful ones, one of the most comical was with my beloved Slaanesh Warriors army (Hordes of Chaos rules with SoC Archaon's Horde list) in a local tournament against Eavy Metal's Pete Foley & his Skaven Shooty Army of Doom. It was, I was. Managed to get one knight into combat with some slaves, the rest of my army vanished in short order beneath barrage. All the time I had a bemused & resigned expression of hopelessness, all those dice, all that exercise from picking up my models & putting them away... He complemented me on taking it so well. I could tell he sympathised. Great guy, great army, short game.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood

I've only used my VC a couple of times this year, as I've been focussing mostly on Goblins (and a bit of Daemonny goodness). But in my 2 games with my regular combat Vampires, I have taken a grand total of 7 4+ ward saves with my Vampire Lord, and failed all 7. I have also played against a similar VC opponent who had a Lord with Crown of the Damned and he too failed all 3 of his 4+ ward saves when my Keeper of Secrets fought him. Cheers!

ironlord

Black Knight

I was playing a 2000 point game at my local GW against the old school beastmen with my old school vamps.
I used my 90 point banshee to scare an entire unit of Dragon Ogres, I killed one with the scream, the other 2 ran from the terror check and fled into a solid object and were destroyed.

That is my best VC moment.
My worst was getting completely destroyed in the rest of the game...

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood

My luckiest game was the following
a dubious points game (as in I did not have the codex with me at the time, and it was a below 2000 pts game so I had to guess how much to remove to make it even)
I had the following
A IG veteran squad
2 infantry platoons I think
A command squad with company commander
A leman Russ

The enemy had
A chaos lord of some kind
Khorne Beserkers
Chaos Marines
A defiler I think
chaos raptors

We rolled the "deploy 2 core, then rest move in on t1" game mode
I chose to deploy my vets and an infantry squad first.
He wiped out the vets early on, using firepower.
My leman russ and his defiler faced off warily, his defiler hiding behind a building and shooting at my army while I tried to get shots of at it with my russ's lascannon and battle cannon
Most of my infantry ended up being in one big group of squads, due partly to the terrain and the fact Ig just crowd deployment zones.
My shooting wasnt as effective as I liked, and soon his beserkers, raptors, chaos lord and some marines maybe charged into my mass of squads. My mass of infantry, despite outnumbering him by at least 50%, got wiped out in a few turns. However, I inflicted some casualties, and my leman russ took some nice casualties as well. The remainder of my infantry, over near the leman russ, did okay in shooting, but not fantastic. At the last turn, his chaos lord was in base to base with my leman russ. I think it was a close victory for him. Thats the only time I ever came close to victory with IG. Was alot of fun, especially the insane combat. (was at least 50 or 60 minis in one large combat)

Right then, I'll sahre a couple of tales with you,

Bad luck- Played my Dark Eldar army(mm they are as evil as VC, delightful) with my souped up Archon and unkillable machine. Was destroying the imperial guard army I was facing when I suddenly remembered my Archon's combat drugs. Cockily went for three buffs, and consequently rolled a triple one. My Archon was dead. Topped himself in the face of such an easy battle.

Good luck...well there are two that are vying for the best , one is fantasy one 40k, so I think thats fair :tongue:

40k, with my dark eldar again playing Imperial Guard again, he had a baneblade and three leman russ as well as loads of infantry everywhere. First turn, dark lance barrage completely wiped out the baneblade and several units around it in the explosion. the rest of the dark lances took out 2 leman russ, destroying over 1000 points in the first turn ^^

Warhammer (my favourite I think) Was losing to high elves, couldn't quite see how I was going to pull off a victory, when his 10 strong unit of Silver Helms with high elf noble charged a unit of 15 skeletons. I issued a challenge and stated all were using hand weapons and shields. My champion surivived the attacks of the hero and then brutally killed him with an overkill wound of one. That stunned my opponent somewhat as I rolled many 6's and he 1's. I then proceeded to roll all my saves, which were a 6+, and got all 6's. In return I killed two further silver helms. Meaning I had won the combat and had a higher unit strength. they fled I cut them down.

Glorious xD

Aegis

Varghulf

Sanai said:
Was alot of fun, especially the insane combat. (was at least 50 or 60 minis in one large combat)

I beat my buddies deathwing like that, cause hes retarded and thinks assault cannons are still awesomesauce like they were last edition.

He'd charge me with 5 terminators, and id counter-charge with 50 guardsmen and 5 commissars xD

best part about that game tho, i killed Belial and his squad the turn they deep stuck in, scattered closer to my combined platoon, and creed said OI FIRE. Retina searing blast of flashlights later, 6 dead terminators. :O

Abhorash.

Grave Guard

My Konrad charged Kholek, pretty good rolling on my part and did FOUR WOUNDS!!!... oh wait 4 wounds is only half of his starting wounds... OH WAIT, its actually eight wounds!!! bye bye Suneater. :thumbsup:

I cast curse of years on my friends unit of 25 Black guard strong, I rolled 14 Sixes... he was SOO pissed, than the next magic phase i rolled 11 5+'s. He was in tears...

I charged my friends unit containing 9 Cold one Knights, BSB hydra banner, and MALEKITH... yea malekith.
the 5 wraiths proceeded to kill the 9 Knights, and the BsB guy in one turn (had vanhels on for Hatred). Now Malekith is on his own, thinking he will slowly cut through the Wraiths... Next round Banshee Rolls two Sixes for the Scream. SEXY!

Not really my luck but its a good story: My friend rolled TWO dice for power of darkness on his super - Pendant of Kaelath, Manticore riding Supreme sorceress... TWO Ones with TWO dice on the Cast = Miscast LOL. It gets better, TWO ones for the miscast table chart, 2 Dice made her explode, it was hilarious. xD

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood

That dark eldar archon story reminds me of a turn signals comic
Land Raider Crew: "Uh Oh! Here comes an Archon!"
Archon: "Mwuahahaha! I am going to destro....the spiders! they are crawling on my skin! Aaaaeeeiiiii!!!"
Land Raider Crew: "That kids, is why you don't play dark eldar!"

Ok best/worst experience worth mentioning:

I was playing dwarfs against demons, turn one I unloaded everything on his great unclean one and killed it after nine straight failed ward saves.:)

Next turn I fire on a nurgle herald with my cannon, hit him and he rolls a one for his look out sir! Great thinks I, or I did till the to wound roll showed a 1. The following turn, same cannon, same target, again a hit, again a failed look out sir roll...and another 1:'( Dang guy was epic cannon goalie of all time.

Best Experiences:

O&G:

Giant plucks a vampire lord off his zombie dragon and proceeds to stuff him down his pants. The undead army starts crumbling the following turn. The dragon got clubbed to death that same turn with 6 str 6 hits! (Thats right I rolled a 6 to stuff the vamp down my pants, and I rolled again to club the Dragon with another 6!) The dragon didn't technically die from the club, but from the wounds from losing combat and the crumbling, I'm not sure what the precise numbers were again... Won that game handily I must say, and seeing my opponent turn bright red when he realized that becoming a close companion with my giants privates counts him as a casualty... yep, didn't suffer a single wound on his lord. I hid my giant the rest of the game having earned twice his points back, it became like a timed battle, him trying to slay my giant to get his general back, and me protecting the big lug as his army crumbled to dust. How he failed his initiative check I'll never know, horrible luck on his part.

*proof that a vampire lord is not safe on a zombie dragon after all! And before you scream ghouls they were busy getting stomped on by my boyz, I know better than to charge my giant into 10 poisoned attacks thank you!

A group of three fanatics strafe my friends empire gunline (NG unit made it up the west flank relatively unharmed to unleash into his side) and they decimate his tightly packed units, literally one fanatic went from the western side of the board to the eastern side in two turns, in total each of his units suffered a minimum of 4 wounds as the fanatics sailed across the table. From that game forward he learned to not focus fire my hitty units, divided his fire nicely over my entire army... that was so ridiculously lucky that the following game my fanatics ended up killing my giant and half my black orcs before dying in the forest... such is the fate of a random missile like a fanatic and those who use them :tongue:

Black Orc unit gets locked into battle with Throgg the Troll King and his three trollish bodyguards. They make ridiculous regen rolls in the first round and roll on the eye of the gods and get a 12! things are looking grim as they now have a 4+ ward save, 4+ regen and stubborn. 3 turns go by with me winning combat based on static combat, despite his doing 4 rounds a turn. He makes his stubborn ld tests on Throgg's leadership for 3 turns before, on the forth round, he finally fails and flees, getting chased down and slain by the last remaining Blorcs, I think I had 8 left? I don't remember the exact details, all I remember is it was 4 rounds of combat, and he ended up breaking and getting chased down and butchered. I still lost the game, horribly, as my 8 Black Orcs were my last remaining unit.. still lucky though or unlucky, just count it as both!

Oh and my giant yelled and bawled a unit of Wraiths to dust over the course of three rounds. Some would say three ones is unlucky, but not when dealing with wraiths who wanted to kill my poor Ol' Black Belly. I love my giant.

Worst Luck:

Again I haven't played anything but my O&G and I have already mentioned one unlucky fanatic affair as well as Throgg's ridiculous Eye of the Gods roll.

I should also mention my giant eating a cannonball and dying in a single shot.

My entire army failing animosity twice in the same game! and I don't mean every unit failing on different turns, if it could fail animosity I rolled a one, twice in the same game. My luck was so bad that game that I actually ended up losing in the third turn to sheer ridiculous empire gunmanship. I only moved my units (those without a Borc in them anyway) in turn two. Sad sad game, but such is the life of a O&G general. Those dice quickly found themselves in the cold clutches of my freezer, where they will remain until I feel generous. The game happened over a year ago actually, I should probably see if they have been removed by someone else.

Oh and my generals unit getting flanked by two units of skinks after a failed charge against his shaman. He totally set me up the bomb on that one, my boyz got heavily poisoned and quite dead.. leaving my warboss alone between two units of skinks and facing down the not too weak barrel of a skink shaman. He died the next turn in a heap of molten armor and cooked orc-meats.

That's all the stuff I can remember... and I know the giant taking out the Lord will resonate with most of you!

-- Ravenfeld

ironlord

Black Knight

Wow pantsing a dragon lord is a good one, you may have just won the thread.

I was playing a 40k Apoc game recently and I have been excited to use a unit of imperial guard penal legionaries that I had converted up from warhammer empire flagellants too look like escaped mental patients. I had been doing a bit of hyping them up because I really liked the models and my cousin was very worried about them so he pored about 80+% of his 5000 points of fire power onto an 80 point unit who were mostly providing cover for my Khorne Berserkers. Because of rediculous scatters and poor dice rolling to hit he fired everything he had at them, including:
1 Baneblade
1 Vindicator
1 Infantry killing predator
1 Space marine Devastator squad with heavy bolters and missile launchers.
And he only JUST managed to kill them.
Why is it good luck?
Because 80 points saved me over 4000 points else where (I had 1000 points sitting in reserve off the board that he couldn't shoot.) Needless to say that 4000 points was mostly long ranged fire power and brought some serious whoopa in my first turn!

Speaking of the 1000 points of reserves I had the Imperial Guard character Sly Marbo waiting in the wings too work with my catachen death trap formation. Basically in the fluff Marbo is that guy you send out too do the dirty stuff no one else can even think of even trying. Need a column of Tau armour destroyed?
Send Marbo.
Need someone to stab an ork warboss while he is sleeping in the middle of a massive camp?
Send Marbo.
I was worried that the fluff would be over the top (as it can be) and that Marbo wouldn't be very good. But I brought him on in reserve with a group of ambushing veterans right into the enemy's home territory and began blowing stuff up and creating some chaos (they are traitor guard after all).
Marbo had nothing else to do so I decided to throw him into the nearest squad of space marines because I didn't want to waste him shooting. I rolled my 7 attacks to hit, hitting with 6 and then wounding on 2+, giving me 5 wounds against a squad of 5 marines.
My cousin rolls 1s and 2s to wound.
In a single turn, Marbo killed a squad of Space Marines in a single turn because of good/bad luck.
Luckily they were the only space marine squad who could deal with the invading guardsmen.

But the luck doesn't stop there.

In a desperate gamble too prevent me from ripping open that flank my cousin deploys his space marine assault terminators via drop pods (which he has been saving since the start) directly infront of the guardsmen and assaults (I think that is illegal but who cares) into them. His attacks fail misserably against the veteran squads (only something like 4 wounds?) who punch back with the seargents power weapon.
Not only does the seargent kill two terminators but a standard guardsman leaps in and batters one of them to death with a lasgun!
Epic win and a promotion for that guardsman.

So as you can see, the apocalypse isn't about strategy and planning, its about sheer dumb luck!

Fodderboy

Master Necromancer
True Blood

In the last game I played against O&G, first turn, first spell - Irresistable Force Tapdance of Gork on Lord Firemagnet and Uncle Gribbly.

5 hits
Allocation - Uncle Gribbly x 5
Wounds - 5
Lord Firemagnet is now on foot.

Roughly on par with losing 4 out of 5 Blood Knights to impact hits from 4 TK chariots.

Later on he did get into combat and slew the a hero and the general, typically only failing 1 ward save per combat but refreshing everytime with the sword of healing goodness.

Not as bad as one of the guys at the club. First round of the tournament game, Waagh horrifically misfires, killing his caster general and cascading into roughly half his army chewing each other to bits and running off the board.

Pulimuli

Wight King

Back in 6th ed when i was playing dwarves, i played a game vs my friend who were playing wood elves.

After he pretty charged my unit containing my general and striking him with 2 killing blows (my general and the entire unit died) I was going for my revenge, my organ gun fired 8 shots on his wild rider unit, which was the unit responsible for killing my general and 25 or so, ironbreakers.

anyhow i wounded 6 of them, the only save they have is their war painting (6+ward) and he rolls 6 6's. that pissed me off pretty badly

Also, Mannfred died in the first round vs an Empire army (he guessed wrong with his cannon, it bounced an extra 10 inches and hit him in the face) bye bye army general