• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

killed by 1 zombie

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
RE: Share your best/worse lucky/bad luck in-game experience

Hmmm.....really bad luck:

An enemy cannoned my Manfred (gggrrrrrr) on turn one. Poof. No general. Fortunately, I had plenty of vampires and a big grave guard unit with the standard that makes them live on after dead general. He cannoned the standard bearer on the next shot. (ie: he had three cannons).

On his final cannon shot, he killed my best remaining magic vampire, who was hopefully going to try and save my army with IoN. But oooh no.

By turn three my army had crumbled to nothing but a combat vampire running about on his own, dodging cannons. He made it to turn 5 before a unit of knights killed him off.

THAT is why I don't play against Empire. xD

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood

Well today and yestaday I was at the lotr doubles, first game after so long it ends on a 1 or 2, ends first time, one more turn and we would have won rather then loss. Same happened in the second but our win wasn't certain.

Both first and second games went to time on the second day (we would have with another 15min), third game we would have won with another 5 min (it was a draw) or if we could woun on a 5+ which we failed 9/10 times.

Well, once my Dwarf Engineer shot Kairows Fateweaver with his brace of pistols. Yes, you heard right. :) My Engineer's war machine and other crewmen were destroyed, so I marched towards Kairos with him. On his turn he didn't bother to move, even though he had only two wounds left. Next turn I shot Kairos. I threw two dice, got two 6s', again two 6' and he failed both of his 3+ ward saves (another one was re-rollable). After that I just said "Well... Remove the model please". After long facepalm my opponent removed him. That's what I'll call a luck. :)

Another one was when I was playing Orcs & Goblins. My whole army failed it's Animosity checks. Yes, that's my luck; eight dice rolled, all as 1'. :slapface: My game tactic ruined badly I can tell ya, why these things always happen in tournaments?. :)

And the last one, again with Dwarves, on turn 6 I started to calculate our point values (even though the game itself wasn't ended) and I was saying, hey, I'm going to win barely. And I have one shooting phase left! Well, I started my shooting phase by using Organ Gun. Misfire and 1 - boom. Oh well, I thought. After that was my another Organ Gun. Misfire and 1 - boom again. :swear: After thinking anything can't go even worse, I rolled 1 on my Anvil of Doom. As he was Thorek I rerolled the die, and what did I got? 1 again. :slapface: Then I checked what happened. Guess what I rolled? :swear::swear::swear: This always happen when I'm playing with gunline, fortunately I just sold out my Dwarves. :tongue:

Playing my WoC against a friend's Skaven.

Got a little overconfident with my block of 18 Warriors of Tz and Exalted BSB, and pursued after crunching some gutter runners. I took a frontal charge from a Doomwheel and a flank charge from a Hellpit Abomination who was on 5 wounds. I figured I was toast, but the dice were with me.

Rolled the impact hits, and suffered just one casualty from both charges combined. Combat started and fortunately, my BSB was on a corner and was in contact with the HPA. He was frenzied, so five attacks with just a regular ol' Halberd. Luckily, all five hit. Very luckily all five wounded. Watched as my opponent rolled nothing but 1s and 2s on five regen saves. Bye bye HPA. My rank and file then quickly destroyed the Doomwheel with a mass of S4 attacks.

I keep imagining the scene as the black-cloaked raiders from the north march forward as the infernal contraption, crackling with warp lightning slams into them while the side is assaulted by a towering, gibbering monstrosity of fur and fang. When the dust clears all that's left is some splinters of wood and patches of matted bloody fur scattered around the practically untouched horde of northmen. They march on leaving the corpse of 'Bob the defective Chaos Warrior' behind them. That guy always was a slacker.

Dogmar

Varghulf

My absolutely best experience was with my wood elves against a friend's Skaven army:

He had his Hellpit Abomination running riot on the battlefielt, but it was down to one wound. I had a lone Glade Rider left to hopefully bait him into a useless position. I was sure he was going to die, but at least he'd have served a higher purpose then.

That said, I move the bait up, about 7" away from him and shoot (S3). Roll to hit: 6 - Roll to wound: 6 - His regen: 1 - HPA down!

He was the hero of the day! You should have seen my friends face, it went from happy to "what the fuck did just happen" in less than one second.

ironlord

Black Knight

I had some great luck using my VC recently, it was my first game of 8th edition and a unit of 10 summoned zombies formed a block in a bottleneck between two pieces of terrain. Although the unit got battered by everything from chaos chariots too chaos knights and were even down too 1 zombie at a point, they held for the game and probably helped me win.

TCM

Zombie

My worst luck I guess was in a 7:th ed Warhammer Fantasy game with Bretonnians vs my friends High Elfs I had a unit of Errant Knightrs down to two models and I charged them in his Reaver Crossbolt Thrower (? name) what happens his crew slays my knights Errants darn... (This was befor the HE had always strikes first thingy...speed of asyrian?)

My best luck also with Bretonnians a Uniit of Men-At-Arms vs a unit of Cold ones, The Cold Ones charge my unit I guess I'll be lucky to survive, lo and behold I manage to pass my break test and then in the second turn I take down three of his Cold Ones they are the ones to take a break test. They fluff it I catch them...

Quite bad luck with my Empire shooty army Vs High Elfs I had three Cannons and a Steam Tank shooting at his Dragon riding Lord Two Cannons did manage to wound the dragon 5 wounds I got off of him my steam tank missfires the bounce... In the end his Dragon chomped thru my entire gun line darn...

Re:match I take out my VC against his HE I manage to take out his dragon with the Dark Hand of Death (?name) spell later I took out his lord that pretty much handed me the game since I'd managed to survive with my Skellies against his Dragon Princes...

about 2 weeks ago i only had my necromancer left as vampire died on CR turn before to chaos chosen. necromancer get charged by giant thanks to nightshroud he didn't get impact hits my 1 attack finishes of the giant which falls onto the chosen who killed my vampire and i win.

Thats pretty incredible, and quite similar to something that happened to me, only in my case I was the unlucky one.

I had a Giant charge my Skeletons and got stuck there. The following turn I charged the Giant with a frenzied Konrad, who failed to wound but survived. A unit of 15 Night Goblins then also charged my Skeletons doing little damage, and Konrad tore the Giant apart. Unfortunately the Giant fell on my Skeletons killing 10 of them, winning the combat for the Night goblins and causing most the Skeletons and Konrad (who was out of a unit) to crumble.:slapface:

That was the last turn of the game and turned a hard fought win into a draw. Oh, and earlier that game Konrad (who was my General) had failed his stupidity test 3 turns in a row, even though there was a Wight King in the same unit......

Moments of good luck:

Necromancer getting charged by 2 Dryads and killing them in two rounds of combat.:|

A unit of 10 Glade Guard failing to kill a lone Ghoul with stand and shoot, and then getting run down by the Ghoul in the following combat round.xD

Best of all - My Vampire Lord and Skeletons getting flank charged by Blood Knights with Strigos banner. I lost combat by so much that as well as all the Skeletons crumbling from combat res my Lord had to make 8(!) 4+ ward saves. I made 7 of them. My opponent was not impressed. I chopped the Knights down with my Blood Drinker in the following combat rounds and gained a rare win over a regular opponent.:thumbsup:

Bravo_10

Dark Lord of Eternal Sorrow
True Blood

Worst luck:

My Vampire Lord and his Skeleton buddies were charged by a group of Clanrats accompanied by a Chieftain BSB. My lord challenged, hoping to wipe the floor with the BSB, but he discovered to his misfortune that there was a Clanrat champion in the unit. Either way, I rolled for my 5 attacks (he had an additional hand weapon). 1-1-1-1-2. The Clanrat champion attacked back: 2-2. So, the first round of combat was a complete whiff fest. However, my Skellies still took a beating, and I had to survive another round of combat. Yet again my lord bellowed out a challenge and my opponent, deciding that he would humor me, accepted with the BSB. I rolled to attack...... 1-1-2-2-2. Ugh........and in classic fashion, the Chieftain missed all of his attacks as well. It was an absolutely horrifying way to lose my Lord, going out with a whimper and then crumbling to death.

Best luck:

I was playing against the Wood Elves, and I had just made an incredibly bold move. My Varghulf marched out of his forest so that he was standing directly in front of a tall hill. There was a unit of Glade Guard on the other side...with the flaming banner. They couldn't see the Varg from where they stood, so they needed to move up on to the hill to get any shots off. This was my plan: if the Varghulf could survive this volley, then he could charge them without allowing a Stand and Shoot reaction. However, he first needed to survive. The Glade Guard let fly, hitting him with 9 out of 10 shots!!! And then they failed to wound....with all of them. :vampire3: The Varghulf charged up the hill on my next turn and, just to taunt my opponent, rolled a 6 for his Thunderstomp and killed the lot of them in one round. It was one of three 6-stomps he would roll throughout the game.

Lynks

Lord of RAW
Staff member
True Blood

Best luck 40k
In the last edition tyrannid codex.
my lone zoantrhope is charged by a unit of 5 howling banshees and a farseer. After a single round of combat, my zoantrhope stands proudly upon a pile of dead eldar after taking a single wound, causing two wounds and chasing the unit down :devil2:

worst luck warhammer Fantasy
1st turn flying zeech deamon leeding a khorne army large purple sun down my whole army leaving 1 vamp lord and 4 skeles from a 2500pt army

best luck was also warhammer fantasy 7th ed cast winds of undeath 4 turns in a row and eack time took a wound off malkeith eventually turned him into a spirit host while his dragon flew off

my opponent was pissed cos i spent the whole game up until then zombie bumping him

merenwen

Black Knight

playing against high elves I think last week, My 29 graveguard and Manfred the acolyte were marching up, high elves cast the dwellers below on first turn and slay my entire force except 5 graveguard, killing manfred! I managed to only just lose which I was quite happy with.

A necron game against blood angels,

my poor warriors and lords had to put up with them flying in to chop them and and while simultaneously failing the vast majority of WWBB rolls, I failed all of my Monolith drop rolls as well so it didn't even enter play I failed the 2+ roll! When it did I only had the bare minimum to not phase out so I tried to hole myself in on the corner of the table and scattered the maximum distance off (i was aiming a fair ways in for the landing).

And Fantasy wise its not epic or anything but while holing out in a tower Lost 12 skeletons in a seige and then my command unit + Wight king and 2 vamp heroes instantly imploded form CR loss... somehow...

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood

Oh god this is beautiful!

Best luck.:

We're playing a large, multiplayer battle. My VC is allied with some useless WoC (I mean useless, just kept stealing my power dice) against HE and Empire. The HE is really fast (I mean super-duper fast) with horsies and eagles, dragons and all sorts. Empire is a gunline, with three cannons and loads of handgunners. Anyway...

It is quite late in the game. I am reduced to a few odd units pottering about, but still have my horde of GG [mostly anyway] with my caster lord in it, trying to get some PD off the selfish ally ("just one more spell!" he would cry.) to raise some sort of army back. The HE has somehow managed to get a unit of 8 big-wig knights [dragon princes?] BEHIND my GG, sorta sideways, ready to turn and rear charge next turn [a single wheel would bring them into contact easily].

Behind those knights (near my table edge) is an eagle, near one end of the knights, and a dragon with an uber lord on it, near the other end of the knights. The HE was toying with me really, just having a bit of fun. Well...

Empire guys decides to blast his cannons away at my GG:

- First shot, sails over, kills the eagle.

- Second shot, over again and goes straight through the flank of the knights, killing six.

- Third shot [my favourite] over-shoots once more, and pops the lord off the dragon, who rolls the "fail" monster reaction result and flies away.

Imagine my joy, and the HE player's anger. But no! It gets better!

The HE player was so annoyed that he turned his remaining units (some partially whittled down spearmen) back onto the Empire's gunline, and next turn declares a charge! It was brilliant, he managed to take out two cannons in a single turn.

The final nail on the head was my Grave Guard marching straight forward [also getting them out of range from the knights, who because of casualties had to turn more to charge me] and then using VHDM to get into the rear of one of the spearmen units, causing it to flee upon death, causing the third cannon crew to also flee!

By this time everyone in the store was crowding round and screaming with joy. Eventually the game ended (the store was closing, us having started around lunch time) and the other team won via VP, but to be honest, we all knew who really won. xD

I am complete. Never again need I play Warhammer.

merenwen

Black Knight

haha omg! that is an amazing story! I loved that he turned on his team mates :D I think I would too after that! :suck:

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood

Hmmm I saw the Empire guy again the other day. He remembered our game but then noticed the HE player in the shop, and just nodded with a wink. The HE player took it a little too seriously, but then the Empire player was laughing his head off as well. All in all a mostly fun (well, for half of us) game. The WoC player I have never seen again, however.... xD

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood

The WoC player probably got turned into a gibbering spawn after that darvy.

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood

Nah he's more likely to be a Forsaken. Not even good enough to be a Spawn... how very embarrassing.

He just kept using PD... even tried to use the ones I got from MotBA! Silly idiot. xD

The Best;
My VC vs my mates Skaven, 3k game late last year. He's a bit of a bugger when it comes to army selection, so I was facing a pair of doomwheels and a pair of lightning cannons, one cannon far out on each flank, with the wheels deployed close enough to them. Centre of his army was a mahosive block of clanrats pushing a bell, with a bunch of minimum sized units so as to max out the amount of weapons teams, can't remember exactly but there was at least 6 Warpfire throwers on the table. Anyway, he won first turn and declared his shots with the cannons, right at my general and his 40 skeletons... Both misfired... and both spun and fired down the flanks of his own army:perv: He lost a horrifying amount of troops (from casualties and panic tests). He wasn't at all happy, but pressed ahead regardless. Fired his first warpfire thrower.... misfire.... it went up in flames and ran right into one of his doomwheels, caused a wound in the explosion, failed his test to keep control and sent it smack into what was left of his bell pushers:happy:...at this point very graciously gave me the win, and we started the game again, with some various deployment tweaks on his side of the table
The Worst;
Last Monday, Skaven vs. my Empire, 2500 this time. I had a cracking first turn, shooting two units of censer bearers and a chunky unit of giant rats off the table, but then his Plague Furnace hit my main unit, a 40 man horde of halberdiers containing my general, bsb and a warrior priest. They held up really well in the first round, basically taking one plague monk down for every halberdier killed, next turn I was smacked in the flank with another unit of giant rats, again, I held my ground admirably and coasted through the ld test for losing combat, and then counter charged the giant rats in their flank with a unit of pistoliers I had knocking around my war machines. By the end of the combat all I had left were my characters and unit champ from the horde, and all he had left was his furnace and six giant rats. I still lost the combat, but I had ld9, stubborn with a re roll from the bsb...and rolled a 10.. no worries, I'll just re roll that...11. They pegged it, but got run down by the rats. Who overran into the wizard lord I'd forgotten to move earlier, and who ended up a nice dessert after their main meal.. I nearly got sick on the table. Still, you gotta laugh!xD

Hmm my luckiest moment must have been when i was playing a 2v2 4000 points a side. My VC were doing alright against the HE playerinfront of my main force and i had a lone spirit host coming up the middle on his way to scare some skaven warmachines. Anyway, the host charges a unit of clanrats plus tooled up great seer (It was either that or get a ratling cannon to the face.) They promptly fail their terror check, and break. The unit was worth almost 8 times as much as the Host

My best luck is with a Doomrocket shot down my friends Brets lines. He had 2 units of Knights of the Realm extremely close to each other because of how the terrain was set up. The template managed to get 3 knights in each squad, I roll to wound and get all wounds, he rolls his saves and manages to fail them all. So 3 dead out of 9 is a Panic check, fails both and the knights run off the board taking his Lord and a Damsel with them. He insisted that we re-setup and play again, I said fine, massacre victory for me and all I did was shoot one weapon.

Worst luck is also with Skaven, it was a 3k game and I was using 4 Warp Lightning Cannons. All 4 of them misfired, 2 of them explode and were removed, the third shoots the large template right into a unit of Clanrats, killed nearly half the unit and they fail their Panic checks, off the board thanks to their special rule for fleeing. The last one must have felt sorry for me and just didn't fire.

Squid

Skeleton

Best Luck

I was playing my buddies O&G army just last week. He was playing an all goblin army. I was playing my DE. I won the roll for first turn. I take my unit of 5 shades and shoot his single troll that is standing in-between his 2 big units of night goblins. I kill the troll and cause panic check to his 2 units. The first unit he rolls for has Scarsnic(general) and BSB with +1 LD banner, so he has LD 9 rerollable. He fails it twice. General and BSB flee off the board and cause a butt load more panic checks, which with LD5 night goblins is not fun. It was a 2500pt game and that one shade unit that killed the troll ended up earning me 1587 vp's. After that he threw those dice away and we played another game!! lol

Worst Luck

The same O&G player was playing my WoC army (literaly 2 weeks befor the other game) we were playing a 2500pt game. I had a Hell Cannon, Lvl 4 on disc, Lvl 2 in a 25 Murauder bunker, 2 good units of Warriors(bout 20-25 each one korn one nurgle) 2 units of 5 korn knights and a chariot. He wins first turn this time and uses the Foot of Gork Augmented, irisitables it. He continued the foot 8 times in a row.... and scattered the templet twice (still hitting modles)... all I had left was 3 murauders 2 Warriors in one unit 5 in the other and one knight..... I(being the poor sport I am) left my pieces lie and just walked out of the store (cursing). I went and got some lunch and came back to pack up my things. I WAS PISSED!!

Needless to say this was not one of my better days. I laugh about it now but it was not funny at the time.

I find my most interesting games are agains O&G and their randomness. But I did get my payback last week for that horrid luck.

Harland

The Colonel
True Blood

I remember once rolling 6 sixes at the same time in a LotR game. That's a 1 in 46656 chance for those of you who are wondering.