• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Knights of the Bloody Rose

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
I think this is looking really nice so far. The white horses certainly give them a ghastly appearance.

At first I quite liked the blue hooves but seeing how warm the rest of the colour scheme is becoming I would consider repainting them. In my opinion they draw the eye too much. A brown might suit you better, or maybe black.

I like the armour though, am I detecting some blue shading in it?

Aren

Crypt Horror
I think this is looking really nice so far. The white horses certainly give them a ghastly appearance.

At first I quite liked the blue hooves but seeing how warm the rest of the colour scheme is becoming I would consider repainting them. In my opinion they draw the eye too much. A brown might suit you better, or maybe black.

I like the armour though, am I detecting some blue shading in it?
I agree, I think I have overdone the multi-coloured aspect of it. It's spiderman syndrome, honest! I start highlighting blues and reds on a model and all of a sudden it's a bright techno multi-coloured mess ;)

Any tips on getting the colours colder? If you saw my Wight King it's heading in that direction right now.

Oh an well, that all depends on whether nuln oil is made using blue particles! It might be the camera but IRL the armour looks a bit darker.

Aren

Crypt Horror
I updated the image, I really want these to come out looking good and professional (comp and all). Any tips to make them look better (aside from hooves, those will be getting changed)?

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Much better picture. Makes me think I was perhaps a bit quick to judge the hooves, as the rest of the mini doesn’t look as warm now. Think it was the reins that did it before, they looked a lot warmer in the old picture.

Looks really good I say, and I'm impressed by the amount of depth in that red armour, without any blue shading. Although I will advise you to try it out, as it could tie in the blue tones of the model. Just mix some blue and black wash together and apply it to the shadows. Other than that Iäll say that the hair around the hooves could use another wash, as some parts have a very flat grey tone.

Aren

Crypt Horror
Some of the rest of the squad. I toned the armour down a bit and made it darker (not THAT much though, the pic is too dark I was in a hurry).

I'll be doing regular updates on this thread now, perhaps treating it as a plog though maybe not every single tiny step will be shown.

As mentioned earlier I will be entering these in a painting comp so as much feedback and criticism as possible would be appreciated. And please be harsh with me, I want these to turn out magnificent but if something is off then I need people who are willing to tell me it looks off. I am taking it all on board :D

I am not an experienced painter hence I'm asking and this is my first comp....so yeah, help me out here a bit!

Are you going with black or green on the cloth bits? Either way, I think you will be fairly happy with these models once you are able to highlight them up. Also, maybe use a different shade of white for the mane in the tail, to give it just a little contrast?

Aren

Crypt Horror
@mousekiller I think this answers your question - here is the cloth, swirls because why not. The armour will probably be staying dark as is, maybe one final highlight with evil sunz scarlet.

SUPER CLOSE UPS!

So I did a bit of work on the shields, here is an example. The iron is a bit rough I'll go over it again and some cleaning up needs to happen but overall that's the general idea. I did a bit of work on the knights themselves as well.

My fingers for a sense of scale, I love doing freehand!

Last edited:

Dragonet

Wight King
Oh that's nice! I was worried the green and red would come off a bit festive, but you've pulled it off nicely!

Aren

Crypt Horror
Another update, he is 90% finished! I just need to go over the horse again. My first proper shot at NMM, I think it turned out alright though a bit rough on one side, damn though it takes a long time.

Overall pretty happy with him, what do you guys think?

Leithel

Grave Guard
Great job on the NMM. It's really hard and I have a suggestion for you to make it faster, and that is to try the loaded brush technique. Look it up, Painting Buddha had LOTS of free videos on how to do it. The lines need to be VERY sharp as well, if you sharpen them up it will look lots better. But it is a GREAT first try, its' a touch technique.

It's a bit of self promotion, but here is my first crack at NMM. Lots of models to practice on and lots of metal, all done with loaded brush and took me roughly 4 weeks, I'm not a fast painter by any means.

http://oddianhobbies.com/modelling-blog/2016/2/7/project-complete-dogs-of-war-volands-venators

I can't wait to see it finished and based, again, the hoofs look fantastic.

Nice work.

Edit: I should mention the shield, man that's some nice free hand. Couldn't believe how small it was when you zoomed out and compared it to your thumbnail.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
I was really unsure about the green colour, but you made it work on the later pictures. The shading on armor is superb, the shade of dark red is exactly how I like it xD (because I can't make it vibrant to save my life ;) ) About the hooves - I like them, but seeing as they are the only blue element, I must agree with @Mad 'At and say that they stand out a bit. I always try to incorporate a color at least twice, to make it seem like a better-though-out composition. Maybe veins on the horses could be blue? This is just a quick idea, I know that you'll be afraid of the spider man syndrome ;)