• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Sep 29, 2013
New Zealand
Yes. Epic battles, Undead, Nagash and Arkhan, Lahmia and the Skaven. Plus the Nehekharans. Everything you could want. And some Dark Elves get what they deserve (though I find it funny the Druchii warlock (how?) is named Melchior, if I recall correctly. Must be a joke on the Necrarch).

Reactions: Get of W'soran

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Sep 29, 2013
New Zealand
Yes. It's about Nagash's rise and fall, Neferata and Lamashizzar trying to replicate Nagash's Elixir, the fall of Lahmia and destruction of Nehekhara, and the Skaven who finally make the Fellblade to kill Nagash. And yes the Druchii sorcerers.

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
The Patrol 5

City of Lahmia

"It was then, as death haunted me, that I learnt not all the beings of the dark thrive on suffering." - Extract from a surviving journal sample found in 2413 IC, North-Eastern Nehekhara Dig Site.

Darkness.

"It's not over!" a voice whispered.

Atem felt at peace but awfully tired...he should just try and sleep.

"Not over!" the voice said again, this time he recognised it as his own.

"Get up or else your men died for nothing!"

The pain returned, first at his side and then throughout his whole body...he gasped and opened his eyes. The dark dank alley way swam back into focus.

But he was still terribly exhausted.

"No." he growled weakly, he had to get back, he had to survive for the sake of those who had died here or else their murders would go unresolved.

But who could help against such evil as these? Especially if it was as far reaching as he feared.

"Ankarash." he thought with certainty, his friend would help him...perhaps the entire Royal Guard could be mobilised.

Using his bow as a crutch Atem managed to force himself to his feet once more.

He would live.

He took a step towards the alley's exist.

He had to survive.

He shuffled a few more steps, stopped gasping before continuing.

He had to tell someone.

Atem stopped again, pain lancing throughout his body but he'd finally reached the alley's exit.

Putting out a hand he steadied himself against the wall and glanced out into the street...and was hurled backwards as something struck his chest.

The archer hit the wall hard, he felt something inside himself break and there was more pain than before. He cried out and in response he heard laughter.

Frowning Atem looked at the exit and felt what little hope that had remained evaporate.

Standing there was Betrest and behind her four more of her demonic maidens dressed in white. They were all stained with blood and held various weapons in their hands.

Betrest strode towards him with an amused smile, for a moment the archer thought she would gut him with one of the two long knives in her hands but instead she simply looked down at the broken man.

"Poor Master of Arrows." she said sadly, her cruel expression belying her words.

Atem grunted and looked from her to the others before looking back. "Your whores...breed...like...rats!" he spat venomously with the rest of his strength, blood running down his mouth.

The handmaidens smile vanished as she kicked him in the chest.

Atem screamed and for a moment he lost consciousness as a new level of physical torture swept through him.

"Get them!" a man roared.

Atem tried to open his eyes, his vision blurry as he saw the handmaidens scatter in the face of an unexpected attack.

For a few moments the world returned the darkness but he regained consciousness.

A giant of a man wielding a huge straight blade swung at a group of the demon-maidens whilst next to him a small figure cloaked in robes threw out his hands sending waves of shadow at the monstrous women.

The world sank back into darkness, a girl's scream follow but was abruptly cut short.

An armoured warrior with his khopesh and a smaller cloaked man with a thin blade attacked Betrest.

His vision momentarily blurred, a cry of warning and a roar of inhuman fury helped Atem achieve momentary focus.

Something huge and monstrous leapt on top of a pair of the women and tore them apart as the cloaked man ran towards it.

"Semut get away from him! Varelsa stop!" screamed a familiar voice.

For a moment Atem thought he could see someone standing over him but just as the darkness claimed him completely the familiar voice spoke again.

"I will not do that to him even if our orders allowed it! Better he die here than that."

Last edited:

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
Thanks Vash, hope your enjoying this.

Not sure whether this or tales of the court should have more of my attention atm. (I think you may be the only person who reads either of them!)

And as for Atem, he's close but not quite there yet...there are some obstacles in the way.

Also I'm hoping the last part made sense, I found it difficult to write it from Atem's point of view as he was losing consiousness whilst still keeping it interesting.

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
I'm also reading. People tend to read more than they comment. :)

I think this last part worked perfectly fine, although I do prefer the Sylvanian setting of your other story.

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Sep 29, 2013
New Zealand
It did make sense, and I am enjoying this. I'm liking seeing the Vampiric takeover/devolution of Lahmia from a normal human's viewpoint...and then his transition to being a Vampire, and presumably the archery master in the Sylvanian Assassins from TVCII. I like both pretty much equally.

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
It did make sense, and I am enjoying this. I'm liking seeing the Vampiric takeover/devolution of Lahmia from a normal human's viewpoint...and then his transition to being a Vampire, and presumably the archery master in the Sylvanian Assassins from TVCII. I like both pretty much equally.

Nice catch!

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
A Conclusion

Lahmian Royal Palace

"On this day her Divine Majesty, Queen Nefereta of Lahmia, has given the order to the Commanding Officer of her own Royal Guard to gather a group of immortals to hunt down those who disobey Royal decree. No longer shall the gift be abused by the traitorous." - Scrap of preserved papyrus found in the abandoned ruins of Drakenhof.

Atem awoke on a bed of silks, he looked out through bleary eyes, blinked trying to focus on three figures standing in front of him, after a moment he could make out the closest of them and the only one he recognised.

Are you alright? That change was obviously unplanned.” Ankarash said.

Another man who was even more impressive in terms of sheer size than the guardsman although he had very bland looks in comparison to the Guardsman's hawk like features. “Yes...I apologise for that, one of the bitches ran me through, I hadn't been expecting it.” He turned around to look at a smaller cloaked man “I'm sorry Lord Semut, I didn't mean to attack you.”

The one called Semut had the usual aristocratic features of the City's high born and wore a long flowing cloak, he was nearly as tall as Ankarash but lacked his bulk. He grinned at huge man “Not to worry Lord Varelsa, we heal fast..”

Varelsa give a grateful smile and opened his mouth to respond when he looked over the other nobleman's shoulder. “Commander Atem.”

The other two men turned with expressions of surprise.

Ankarash moved swiftly to stand next to the bed, resting a hand gently on Atem's shoulder as he tried to sit up. “Don't move my friend, you came closer to death than you realise.”

Ankarash...what happened?” he croaked before breaking into a coughing fit, pain wracking his body as he did so.

Varelsa moved to the corner of the room and poured some water from a jug into a bronze cup which he handed to the archer.

After they were sure that Atem was alright Ankarash answered his question. “Lord Ushoran had long suspected that Betrest was abusing her position, she had been recruiting followers in secret as well as subverting a few of her fellow handmaidens, mostly the young and easily manipulated.”

The guardsman sighed softly “By the time he was able to convince her Majesty that one of her closest attendants might be a traitor we had realised she might have accomplices and our history at forcing answers from these sort of turncoats isn't very...reassuring.”

Atem looked at the other two men questioningly, wondering why they were involved. Seeing the question in his gaze the cloaked man nodded slightly and stepped forward

You have not met us before. We are both Lords of this city, although we're not military like Ankarash and yourself but Abhorash choose us to assist the good Guardsman here with hunting down those who turn their backs on the wishes of the City's rulers.”

Atem shook his head after a moment “That isn't technically true is it?”

The archer smiled at their confusion “We met last night...when you all saved me.”

Three nights ago actually.” Varelsa said with a slight shake of his head “We didn't think you would make it. You are correct however, it was us who found you just in time before Betrest could kill you.”

Atem frowned trying to remember all he could before his long sleep “Two big men...a cloaked man and...” he murmured before cutting off and looking at the others “What about the robed man?”

That was V'azrin, he doesn't usually come on patrols but insisted when he found out your squad was involved.” Semut said then with an amused grin he added “Surprised that corpse has the ability to actually care.”

Varelsa give a heavy sigh of a man repeating himself for the hundredth time “That is unfair. He is the reason Atem still lives after all.”

Semut grumbled a reply but Atem wasn't paying attention, instead he frowned at the huge aristocrat. “What do you mean?”

Varelsa turned his gaze back to the archer. “It was V'azrin's magic that has kept you alive these past few days, without it you would have been dead before we could even carry you from the alley way.”

I didn't realise any of W'soran's scholars of death could still remember the secrets to kindling mortal life until he cast those incantations.” Ankarash murmured.

Atem nodded considering all he had heard.

As he did so Ankarash nodded to Semut. “Can you stay with Atem please, make sure he rests.” he requested as he turned to the other Lord “We should go let V'azrin know he's awake.”

Varelsa stood and made his way to the door.

Ankarash patted Atem on the shoulder. “Relax for now, I imagine you have many questions on the more exact nature of what you saw that night. You'll have your answers.”

With a nod to Semut he followed Varelsa out of the room, closing the door quietly behind him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two men were several minutes down the hall when Ankarash grabbed Varelsa's shoulder and pulled him to a stop.

Why was he there Varelsa?”

The aristocrat turned around around to face the warrior.

What?”

Atem and his men. We sent the order to evacuate that part of the city, how does one of our most senior commanders miss such an order?”

I'm sure I don't know.”

Ankarash snarled and grabbed the larger man by the throat slamming him into the wall with enough force to crack the marble.

Don't fuck with me Varelsa!” he snarled “This is the Queen's doing! Everything Nefereta knows her spider Ushoran knows and you are the only one he trusts with his secrets! So tell me! Why risk Atem's life? Why allow Betrest freedom for so long, there is no way she avoided the Queen's notice for so long...she should never had sired so many...subverted others...she was too close to Nefereta to manage gathering such a force. WHY?!?”

Varelsa stared coldly at the man who pinned him but there was a madness lurking behind his eyes, he hid it well most of the time but his anger at the situation was allowing signs of it to come to the surface. The graverot which clung to Ushoran's line, that which was so carefully covered by the careful application of perfumes was also growing stronger.

Let me go Ankarash.” he hissed through a mouth that now had a few extra fangs than moments before.

Ankarash tightened his grip. “I want answers Varelsa, I want them now.”

A vice like grip seized him by the son of Abhorash by the shoulder. “That is enough.”

Ankarash released the other immortal with a snarl and turned to look at V'azrin. “Fine, I'll let it go...for now.”

V'azrin nodded accepting his words “I assume that you're having this childish spat means Atem awoke?”

Ankarash give a stiff nod as Varelsa stepped away from him.

Good, I thought there was a good chance he'd never wake up.” the priest said taking a vial out of his robes and handed it to the guardsman. “Give that to the human, Varelsa and I have something to attend to. Once I am done I'll head straight to Atem's chambers to give him a personal check up, reinforce the life-strengthening wards and bring a few other elixirs.”

Ankarash took the vial and then shook his head. “No. You give it to him and deal with your own issues later. I am going to speak with Abhorash.”

Varelsa sighed, the signs of the corruption that lurked in his blood now gone once more. “He won't tell you anything.”

Ankarash locked his gaze on the man. “So you do know something.”

I can't tell you anything, I truly am sorry. Abhorash will not say anything either. You will find out in time once she allows it.”

Ankarash gritted his teeth “Fine.” he spat before turning and stalking back down the hallway towards Atem's room leaving the others behind.

Last edited:

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
A Warrior's Conviction

City of Lahmia

Ankarash ran down the corridor, his feelings of unease where increased by the lack of guards outside of Atem's room. The Royal guardsman barely slowed down as he threw open the door and glanced around.

Where is he? Where is Atem?”

Only two men where in the room, V'azrin and Semut, who both turned to look at the warrior.

He wasn't getting any better Ankarash.” Semut told him miserably.

Where is he?” he repeated.

He was going to die...you can't have wanted that?' V'azrin rasped.

Ankarash glared down at the sorcerer “You said you were healing him with your magic and potions!”

V'azrin looked sourly at his friend. “I tried but my magicks could only sustain, not undo existing damage...I warned you that my powers lay in death not life.”

The warrior snarled. “Then where did he go? Who took him?”

V'azrin and Semut shared a glance before the Lordly man replied “The Queen.” Semut muttered.

Ankarash snarled. “I won't let them murder him.”

That's unfair. It's not death, it's undeath!” V'azrin complained “She'll be saving him, giving him immorality and raising him up above his current station.”

And what will he become? Will he still be our friend? What will the change take from him?”

V'azrin frowned unhappily whilst Semut looked distinctly uncomfortable, they had all had his discussion before and they all held different views on the Dark Gift.

Ankarash turned and strode away.

Where are you going?” V'azrin shouted after him.

To stop her.” Ankarash growled.

As the warrior left the room Semut looked at his withered companion. “Shit.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ankarash reached the the large hall before the the Royal quarters, the warrior had guessed that Nefereta would take Atem here and his guess was confirmed as he saw at the other end of the Hall Abhorash was standing outside the door to the Queen's quarters.

Ankarash began to cross the room to face his father when a vice-like grip seized him by the shoulder.

Don't do this.” Varelsa asked.

Ankarash shrugged his friend's hand away and tried to continue but the son of Ushoran swiftly stepped around the disciple of Abhorash. The warrior was quick to note that the other vampire had his large two-handed sword strapped to his back.

You can't go through there Ankarash.”

Ankarash gritted his teeth. “You can't stop me Varelsa so move.”

Don't be stupid! Even if by some miracle you get past the captain Nefereta will tear your throat out. She's the first and makes the rest of us look like children by comparison. Let's just leave.”

Ankarash unsheathed his khopesh “I won't ask again.”

Varelsa sighed and began to turned away, he could see Abhorash had put his hand on the hilt of his sword as he quietly watched the other two vampires.

Very well...go.” Varelsa muttered.

Ankarash nodded stiffly and strode past the huge nobleman, he had only taken two steps when his instinct kicked in and he spun bringing his sword up to block the incoming blow. The power of Varelsa's downward cut brought him to his knees. The royal guardsman pushed the large blade aside and, rising up with easy grace, he slashed open his opponent's thigh before reversing his blade to cut deeply into Varelsa's side.

Varelsa grunted and stumbled back but his wounds where already healing as he relaunched his assault. Varelsa was a skilled swordsman and unimaginably strong but Ankarash was a consummate swordsman with a great deal more experience in single combat that his friend. He backed away parrying and deflecting the first few strikes but seemingly giving way before the stronger immortal's attacks however it was simply a ploy as he drew Varelsa more into the attacked before launching a blisteringly quick and complex counter which disarmed Varelsa in the blink of an eye.

Without hesitating Ankarash buried his sword in Varelsa's stomach which he twisted and tore loose before kicking the wounded vampire to the ground. He raised an armoured foot and then brought it down hard on the side of Varelsa's head, cracking his skull.

Stay down.” he warned his fallen opponent.

Varelsa groaned and looked over, he could see Abhorash had took his first step towards them.

No!” he rasped and pushed himself to his feet.

Ankarash turned on Varelsa and with a frustrated roar stepped in with a downward cut but the other vampire caught the blade in his hand, no not a hand but rather a talon for it had transformed into something monstrous appearing to belong more to a monster than a man. Likewise Varelsa's face had lost his mask of humanity and he was beginning to look more like a ghoulish beast, with incomprehensible strength he reached out with his other talon and grabbed the warrior before hurling him across the hall into a wall. Varelsa snarled, his transformation continued until he was a hunched over creature of muscle dwarfing his previously large human appearance. He now looked like a gargoyle rather than a man.

Fleshchanging...a “gift” from the line of Ushoran.

Leave!” he boomed revealing a mouth filled with dagger like teeth.

Abhorash seeing this advancement paused, his expression hidden behind his helmet.

Ankarash hissed as he picked himself up and ran at Varelsa who ran on all fours towards him, the two vampire's crashed into each other and the warrior was hurled backwards with a grunt of pain.

He stood as Varelsa ran towards him for another charge but this time he rolled aside and cut open his friend's side with a swift slash of his blade, using the beast-like vampire's speed against him, the wound was severe enough that Varelsa collapsed. As he tried to rise Ankarash leapt at him driving his sword deep into his back and slamming a powerful kick into his wounded side.

Varelsa groaned, his wounds and exhaustion taking their toll, he tried to rise one more time but again the guardsman struck at him, this time cutting at the back of his skull with just enough strength to cause a bad enough wound so that Varelsa hit the ground too weak and unsteady to rise again.

Ankarash raised his bloodied blade and turned to start towards his sire.

Varelsa, through somewhat blurry vision, saw Abhorash had unsheathed his own weapon. At the same time he heard someone enter the hall.

Forcing himself to turn to look at the doorway, his form shifting back into his human guise.

V'azrin and Semut stood in the doorway, staring with confusion at the scene before them.

Stop him! Now!” Varelsa cried with such force that his body was racked with pain.

V'azrin reacted first, understanding the full importance of his friends command.

Rasping an incantation he threw out his hands, dark lightning blasted across the room to strike Ankarash in the back. The warrior fell to one knee but then, to the sorcerer's shock, rose again. Turning he snarled, baring his fangs, and began to stride through the lightning towards the wizard. Ankarash's flesh turned black and flaked away but he kept moving towards the horrified looking V'azrin.

Semut charged forward and slammed into the side of the pained vampire causing V'azrin to stop his spell. Semut knelt on Ankarash's chest and threw a series of punches into his face before the warrior regained his senses and threw Semut free.

Impossibly the warrior began to rise again except he didn't see V'azrin running at him who crashed into Ankarash and knocked him to the ground, landing on his chest. Meanwhile Semut then jumped forwards to grab his shoulders and hold him down.

The last thing the warrior saw was the withered vampire staring wide-eyed down at him with a stake held above his head in two hands.

"Forgive me." the priest whispered as he slammed the long piece of wood into Ankarash's heart.

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Sep 29, 2013
New Zealand
This is the Varelsa in TVCII? So he's an ancient, still humanoid Strigoi then. An impressive achievement, I must say. And Atem's about to be given the elixir I see.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu