• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Lahmian Playtesting Thread

also, the bloodline power that gives a bigger magic item allowance--overflowing coffers?--how exactly does it work? do you pay the points and get an exta 30 points of items free, or do you have to pay for them again? if the second, I think that should be changed. in any case, it is unclear.

On first sight the proposed changes look nicely balanced. :thumbsup:
This evening, I will reflect on them with my adversaries.
Now, I'm really curious what the lower tier Lahmia powers would be.
(I can't wait to try them out :cool: )

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Lord Asuryan said:
also, the bloodline power that gives a bigger magic item allowance--overflowing coffers?--how exactly does it work? do you pay the points and get an exta 30 points of items free, or do you have to pay for them again? if the second, I think that should be changed. in any case, it is unclear.
You have to pay for them again. You are effectively paying because you get to create combinations that would normally be impossible.

Darkblossom said:
On first sight the proposed changes look nicely balanced. :thumbsup:
This evening, I will reflect on them with my adversaries.
Now, I'm really curious what the lower tier Lahmia powers would be.
(I can't wait to try them out :cool: )
Right then, are there any suggestions in regards to the low level powers? I don't want to do this all on my own....

Hello DoN, I've been thinking about some low level powers. I'm not really sure if they are balanced.

Remains of the old blood (20 Pts)
"In the old days, before the corruption by Nagash, the city-states Lybaras and Lahmia of the land of Nehekhara, were renown for their contingents of archers."
The vampire adds 1 to her BS. In addition, ranged attacks maid by the character with this power,
count also as poisonous if the poison upgrade has been bought.

Respected amongst the living (25 Pts)
"The ladies of Lahmia have perfected the art of infiltration and manipulation. For many years, the courts of Bretonia have
been the playground of these pale, highborn Ladies. A mask of kindness and sympathy hides the real plans of these masterfull puppeteers."

The Swain entourage can have a US up to 20. The unit can also have the normal unit upgrades.
The vampire with this power must stay in this unit for the duration of the battle (to hide their real nature, they cannot join
undead units as long as the Swain and the entourage are not removed as casualties)

What do you think?

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
I really like the last one. Respected among the living sounds really nice, but it probably makes some very OP units.

Think about 10 strong Brettonian Knights, with a Vampire leading them. Vampire, Paladin, 9 more knights in lance? Wowza!

Limit this to foot troops only, perhaps? Then it might become too wordy and complicated....but I really love the idea.

Quick Edit: It's been a long time since I looked at the Bloodline lists. Lahmians can't even take a mount. Oops.

The Poison Power is 'Meh' to me. It's nice and fluffy, considering that Lahmians whisper poison into humans ears at every turn, but 20 points for poison? Bow+Poisoned Melee+20 points to make ranged poisonous? Cheaper, I say. 10 points for what, 1 poisoned ranged attack per round? Even at high strength, poison is only going to happen an average of once per game, so why pay 20 points?

As for other concepts....

'Inter-species Beauty' -25 points :devil2:

Units choosing to charge the unit containing one or more models with this power subtract D3 from their charge distance if they fail a leadership roll. Non cumulative, in case the wording didn't come through.

Simple, to the point, and she's just so pretty people(And Orks, and Rats...and Trolls...And...Ushabti?) stumble while walking toward her. This is one area people haven't messed with, so I figure it'd be worth a shot.
Perhaps to 'Non Undead' or 'Non-ItP' models should be included in there....she's just hot, not using any sort of magic stuffs.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
Looking at the above I can’t say I am sold with the poisoned arrow one. It is really not worth it, and I can’t see it being used when compared to the other powers.

The Respected Amongst the Living – It’s a really nice concept, but I would be worried about what OP combo’s could be created. The limit on the size was done so previously to try and balanced the army list. You also need to bear in mind that these powers need to be used sometimes with a normal list.

So I like the fluff, but the rules don’t work really.

I do however like your idea Oni – it is low powered enough to be around 25pts, though I think we will need to make it that is does not affect models that are ItP.

The other question, is what power would this replace? I’m thinking overflowing coffers personally.

Perhaps the power "Remains of the old blood" needs some more explaination.
My starting idea was: once, before they became vampires, they were blessed by the Asp Goddess.

This remains of the asp blessing could possibly be represented by two effects :
- the old Asp Bow effect (picking targets like long rifle including -1 to hit modifier).
However, this could be OP in combination with the power 'Behind the Scene'.
- Poison and no to hit modifiers (based on the 'blessing of the Asp Goddess' unit upgrade that can be bougth by Khalida Nefehrer)
This would mean that a Lady would always hit on 2+ and a vampire on 3+. I toned this down to adding 1 BS and poison.

I agree that just adding poison is not worth the points, but the most important part of the power is adding the extra BS.
I really like the concept of the great bow, but I just hate the fact that I fail to hit something with it. But indeed, 20 points to add
basically 1 BS is perhaps a bit expensive.

Damn, indeed, while all beeing about fluf, the power 'Respected Amongst the Living' opens the door for abuse. Too bad...

I like the idea of Onikaigo, but I would not replace the 'Overflowing Coffers' power with it.
While beeing expensive (you still have to pay the cost of the items), I've used this power 3 times out of the 6 battles I did with the Lahmia list.
This power is really rather versatile.
The power "Vanity of the Dead" however, is a power I would personally never use. Yes, I know, now you would replace a 25 point power by
another 25 point power, so the problem of limited 'low point powers' would stay ...

Just my thoughts...

A Lahmia power that becomes realy good with 8th edition is 'innocence lost'. Having a high initiative in combination with ASF is powerfull.
I think this power will be on my 'must have' list from now on.
It is still not OP though ( there is an army that recieves this bonus as an army rule ) and I think Lahmia will need this to make a chance against other armies.