Lev's Vampire Log

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
Lovely skellys, the purple hooded one reminds me of a wizard from Magicka O_O You bastard killed one of them! *shakes fist*
 
LevDaddy said:
I'd love to know what anyone things.

I thing they look awesome! Love the look of the faceless guy, what is he? I like the way there's a decent variety in there (I kinda think undead should be a motley crew, in contrast to my own army) and the bases do tie them together well. What's up with the different bases in the front corner of each unit?
 
"things" ;) I immediately saw that I had done that but was too lazy to change it.

@Rob - Thanks for the kudos. I am really liking these Mantic models. I wasn't in love with them when I did my online reasearch (aside from the Zombies) but they were/are such a great deal so I gave them a go and I am glad to have done so. You're correct in saying that they have a certain character that you don't normally see. It's made me want to try some different things and different colors that I normally wouldn't be confident enough to try. I think it's pretty awesome for budding painters to get out of their comfort zones. I've learned a lot.

I have no idea where I'm going for characters. Right now I'm just going to do some basecoats so I can get some different options on the table for my league and then figure it out. I'm leaving all my standards blank until something cool happens on the battlefield and inspires me to paint something.

@Zhatan - Thanks, dude. I like the way the shields turned out. I went back and forth and back again. In the end, I like the contrast. I spent waaaaaaaay too much time on them for a 5pt model.

@Ron and Shareya - The hooded/faceless guy is just one option for a Skeleton Champion from the Mantic Undead line:
http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Kings-of-War/Undead/Core-Units-Skeletons/Product/Undead-Skeleton-Regiment-20-Figures.html

For anyone reading this who hasn't looked outside the GW range - there are a lot of great miniature companies out there, and I highly recommend considering all options and combining all sorts of things into you army. They look great and can be quite cost effective. I bought 2 Mantic starter packs with 220 minis (80 Skellies, 60 Zombz, 40 Ghouls, 40 Armored Skelles/GG) for like $100. The same would've cost me almost $500 with GW prices. I love me some GW, but there's plenty of good stuff out there worth mixing in. You'll see some more stuff in coming updates.
 
Some more goodies! I really like the way these boys turned out. I'm bummed that one came without an arm. I'm working towards doing some protruding bone or something.

IMAG0147.webp


IMAG0146.webp


IMAG0148.webp
 
really nice work man! love the models on the latest pictures! i assume your using them as horrors? ^^ what company are they from?
 
LifeEnder said:
really nice work man! love the models on the latest pictures! i assume your using them as horrors? ^^ what company are they from?

Thanks!

Correct. They are Flesh Reapers from a Polish miniature compnay called Titan-Forge. They make some other great stuff:

http://titan-forge.com/fantasy_miniatures_gravehaunt_hills_flesh_reapers
 
The update train keeps on rolling!!! Here's my Mortis Engine.

I'm not thrilled with how the Ethereals turned out, but it was my first time trying it on something this big so I cut myself some slack. I still need to touch up the Corpsemaster. Anyway, here it is.

IMAG0137.webp


IMAG0136.webp


IMAG0135.webp
 
What's wrong with the host? Looks legit to me, although the face of the "Bone Cage" that is most forward seems a bit darker than either side, which is a little off to me, though that could just be the lighting/camera playing tricks. Looks well though, and you even bothered to do book details :pumpkin:
 
@Tawg - Thanks for the props.

The Bone cage darkness is probably from lighting. I'm not too pleased with my highlighting on the Ethereal portion. At some point it got difficult to decide where to make the white highlights and where not to. I dunno, I tend to nitpick.

Overall I'm very pleased and I've used it in almost every battle since painting it up.
 
Of course it's darker at the front, that's where all the flies smash into xD :lol: The ME looks fine, you chose the same colour scheme for the ghosts as I did, and I'm not completely lucky with it, too. Maybe it just looks too bright...dunno.
The cage is very nice done, I'm still figuring out what colour I should take for it..this boney thing is getting more and more attractive:skull:
 
Theerteen said:
Of course it's darker at the front, that's where all the flies smash into xD :lol: The ME looks fine, you chose the same colour scheme for the ghosts as I did, and I'm not completely lucky with it, too. Maybe it just looks too bright...dunno.
The cage is very nice done, I'm still figuring out what colour I should take for it..this boney thing is getting more and more attractive:skull:

I mulled over several of different options, including Metallic and Gold. I went for something easy, but there's a lot you can do with it.
 
LevDaddy said:
Theerteen said:
Of course it's darker at the front, that's where all the flies smash into xD :lol: The ME looks fine, you chose the same colour scheme for the ghosts as I did, and I'm not completely lucky with it, too. Maybe it just looks too bright...dunno.
The cage is very nice done, I'm still figuring out what colour I should take for it..this boney thing is getting more and more attractive:skull:

I mulled over several of different options, including Metallic and Gold. I went for something easy, but there's a lot you can do with it.

Although one option you don't see every time is a black/grey kinda like obsidian, I rather like that.

Also, I never noticed how silly the Flesh Reapers looked, from Titan Forge? The whole skin pulled over their heads thing is kinda a no go for me :zombie:
 
Tawg said:
I like the goblin, seems like it's floating, quite nice :pumpkin:

Yeah. Titan-Forge makes another great line of Undead Greenskins. Freaking sweet stuff. These little guys are called Noisy Ghosts or something.

I can't wait to paint and field sll 3.
 
Here are some WIP pics of my Black Knights/Revenant Cavalary from Mantic. I have a full unit of 10 done minus the banner. I'll get some pics out tomorrow.

IMAG0143.webp


IMAG0144.webp


IMAG0145.webp
 
BTW - Props to Zhatan and his Grave Guard skills (link below). I saw his little tutorial and was inspired to paint something similar on my Black Knights.

https://www.vampirecounts.net/Thread-How-to-paint-your-GraveGuard-and-Black-Knights?pid=275728#pid275728
 
I'm slowly getting my painting shows back on. I worked on some wolves throughout the week. I just went for a simple cold look with some gore and bone. I think they turned out pretty decent. I still need to use some gloss varnish on the exposed muscle and finish the bases to match the wolves you see in back.

IMAG0841.jpg
[/URL][/img]

IMAG0845.jpg
[/URL][/img]

IMAG0846.jpg
[/URL][/img]
 
Thanks guys. I'm pleased with how it turned out. I'm thinking of doing my Terrorgheist in a similar scheme with some neutral grays thrown in there, as well.
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu