• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

IvorTangrean

Ghoul
Apr 16, 2010
Calgary
I saw this while skimming my copy of the new rule book and wanted your guys opinion on this.

Lances are not used on turns you are not charging*, but you must always use your magic weapon. So does that mean that you switch to your hand weapon or continue to use your magic lance?

* as opposed to only providing a bonus on turns you charge

Mar 16, 2009
Kislev
I think it should remain how it was before, use the magic lance all the time since its a magic weapon but you only get the +2 strength when you charged. Then again it would make sense not to use the lance when not charging but maybe we shouldn't apply real life situations to a game about magic and elves and ogres :D

Humaneater

Black Knight
Apr 5, 2010
Lances provide their bonus while charging, that doesn't mean they don't get used after the charge. The thing there about swapping to hand weapons and stuff is fluff, not rules I think - that confused me at first.

Thing is, if you're using either lance, Dreadlance or Balefire spike, I don't know why you would want to use a hand weapon afterwards. Just because the "Lance" part of their rules provides no bonus after the charge, they still Autohit/flaming afterwards :)

IvorTangrean

Ghoul
Apr 16, 2010
Calgary
Humaneater said:
Lances provide their bonus while charging, that doesn't mean they don't get used after the charge. The thing there about swapping to hand weapons and stuff is fluff, not rules I think - that confused me at first.

The new Lance rules are '+2 S*' with the note being that you switch to your hand weapon when not charging.

Humaneater

Black Knight
Apr 5, 2010
:S really? I only read the rulebook at a mates for a few hours, I don't actually own one, so you may be right. If so, then this'll probably be FAQ'd, but for the sake of your own sanity, I'd suggest that you use the "I'm using this one" rule as precedence - i.e. you'll always use the magic weapon over your hand weapon. This is just one of those odd, flat-out contradictions that GW loves making just for us magic-lance users xD

IvorTangrean

Ghoul
Apr 16, 2010
Calgary
I can't remember the exact wording and am at work so I can't check but that did stand out to me a bit when I read it as it was a change. So I could be wrong on the lance rules but I am pretty sure.

Goggalor

Necromancer
Feb 29, 2008
Chatteris and plymouth
The lance is only used when on the charge as otherwise he uses his hand weapon, but as a magical weapon he/she has to use this instead. So in my opinion the magic bit overides the normal bit, impractical yes but this is why it is fantasy battles though.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Well, Lance is a rule now which specifies that it is only usable on the turn that the user charges. So, IMO, any magic weapon with the Lance descriptor would also follow that rule as well.

Cobra7

Grave Guard
Jun 3, 2010
Unless FAQ'd I will stick to the "I'm useing this one" rule.

It's spacifically under the magic items section which will apply to magic lances.

I can see the point of lances and spears, if my opponent protested I would likely submit without an argument. not worth getting people mad over it.

As far as fluff, I don't see a mounted guy dropping a magic lance to the ground to get a sword. He'll be ridding around poking people with it. Wont get the 2S, but still get the magic.

IvorTangrean

Ghoul
Apr 16, 2010
Calgary
Bishop said:
Well, Lance is a rule now which specifies that it is only usable on the turn that the user charges. So, IMO, any magic weapon with the Lance descriptor would also follow that rule as well.

Here is the issue though. The Lance rule specifies the use of your hand weapon. The "I'll use this one" rule says that if you have a magic weapon you have to use it. preventing you from following the Lance rule.

midean

Vampire Count
True Blood
Mar 12, 2008
The magic weapon rule would overide the lance rule in this situation. If you have a magic weapon you must use it.

Skarsnik the Lord

Crypt Horror
May 1, 2010
Finland
I believe that magic weapon overides that rule... The rule book says you always have to use magic weapon, because the character has learned to use it and won't chance the wepon (unless it's destroyed). So that in mind, I'd say he uses the magical weapon always, even though it's a lance...

IvorTangrean

Ghoul
Apr 16, 2010
Calgary
Skarsnik the Lord said:
So that in mind, I'd say he uses the magical weapon always, even though it's a lance...

Which means you always get +2 S. So Broken no matter how you do it. I think I am just going to use Lances in 7th ed style.

Ghostmaker

Ghoul
Feb 17, 2010
Oslo
Fodderboy said:
IvorTangrean said:
Which means you always get +2 S.

Only on the charge, as per lance rules.

Not so! If I remember correctly, the new Lance rules state that the lance grants +2S, but that you put it away after the first round of combat. If the Magic Weapon rule overrides the "put it away" part, then you'll allways have that +2S throughout the combat.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Paraphrased: Lance is only used on the turn that you charge. In subsequent rounds, or if you didn't charge, then hand weapon is used instead.

Humaneater

Black Knight
Apr 5, 2010
Thing is there are always going to be direct contradictions with no way around them until they are FAQ'd. So, until them I'd play house rules or, if you're in gw, what the manager says.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu