• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Need help with a very fast Wood Elf List

The object is not to slow his movement, but constrain his lines of fire and sight.

We're getting to the point where words will not easily describe what I'm suggesting. You need to spend some time with a table and place some terrain pieces so that you can see how they stop lines of sight.

The idea is to come up with asymmetric terrain that hinders him, but not you, or helps you, but not him. In the case of your army, buildings are not the answer. Worst case, consider terrain that you can use to block his woods. He can move though woods, but not other terrain. You also need to be aggressive with your magic. Keep trying to enhance your units or get off magic missiles against him. You need to use up the scrolls as soon as possible. In the end game, you may be able to get a spell or two off.

A long piece of terrain with a single crest parallel to the axis is a ridge. A similar piece of terrain with multiple point crests is a line of hills.

Fleeing units ignore all terrain except impassible. If he flees and hits the table edge or impassibe terrain, he dies! Work on this!!

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Master Vampire said:
I guess Dire Wolves are pretty good too. Although with little armor, S4 on the charge is more than a WE can take. After all, we're talking about the Elves and not the Forest Spirits. I think Dire Wolves are actually pretty good at charging Glade Riders, because they charge 18", so 9" if failed/they flee. Be sure to have some sort of back up, like AMA mentioned.
I think you really need to get some games under your belt, MV. Let's look at everything Elf unit in the army that you might be charging, making use of that 18":
-Glade Guard. Charge with your Wolves, and that's 10+ longbows hitting on 5+, killing on 4+. Most likely 2 Wolves dead, if you started with 5, then those 3 survivors won't do anywhere near the damage they need.
-Glade Riders. Again, their bows will kill one Wolf before they get into combat. 4 attacks, 2 hits, one dead Elf most likely. Then you have 8 attacks back- that'll be no survivors after crumbling.
-Eternal Guard. Let's not even go there.

Of course, that's not how we use Dire Wolves anyway. Against Wood Elves, their best use is to distract ("Ooh mister Treeman, come kill my 50 point unit, you know you want to"), have a go at assassination (Like on Saturday, when my Dire Wolves were HoDA-ed and only my Doom Wolf survived. Missed with both attacks onthe pesky Mage however, when I had a good chance of wounding), double-charging with other units, and as said getting behind fleers.

Sadly I still have only one win against Wood Elves out of about 10 games at 2000 points, my luck always deserts me against them :devil:

EvC said:
Sadly I still have only one win against Wood Elves out of about 10 games at 2000 points, my luck always deserts me against them :devil:
are you running against the mounted Woody List like my opponent has put together? This list consisting of mostly Fast Calvary seems to be my bane.

I dont have a problem defeating the lists consisting of dryads and treemen but these fast / fleeing / shooting lists are kicking me in the butt.

There has got to be a way for us to put together an ALL COMERS list that can stand a chance against these.

Well a Strigoi-based army with at least one Thrall, and Bat Form, supported by wolves, bats, knights, and spirit hosts could be a start, or your von Carsteins with wolf form would help too.

Lord Fear

Master Vampire
True Blood
Miklos Vak Vados said:
are you running against the mounted Woody List like my opponent has put together? This list consisting of mostly Fast Calvary seems to be my bane.
I've fought a variety of lists, from "balanced", which make for fun games, to Dragon + Treeman armies... or Orion + Treeman armies, both of which with much fast cavalry, which are not so fun. Really to get past them you need magic missiles, taking Death Magic can be a real help.

Voltaire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
RE: How would you deal with Wood Elves?

You overpower them by simply having 8 Power dice and 2 bound spells a turn which is usual for VC.

The two threads on combating Wood Elves have been merged.