• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
Some of my friends call me a traitor tot he American Way, but I want more non-american music.

So, I entreat you for your knowledge! Swedish, Finnish, German, French (Maybe... =P), Danish, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, English, or whatever other language/Nationality might be on your playlists.

I like collecting foreign music, and I find it a handy tool for learning the language it's sung in. So, preferably I'd like German or Japanese music, but I'll of course take any suggestions. :)

My only limitation is NO RAP. I cannot state this enough. Rap in english is more than horrible, I don't even want to imagine German/Japanese/French Rap(There is a hilarious thought...Gangster Sous chef?) any more than I want to get stabbed in my eye with a really hot french fry.

Boo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Feb 13, 2008
The far north, near northrend
Now, I don't really know what genre you are in to, but since you said "no rap" then here we go.

Shout out louds - Swe
Mando Diao - Swe
Whitest Boy Alive - Nor and ger
Finntroll - Fin (sings on swedish but still, they are awesome)
Hammerfall (I know I know, but they are so nostalgic to me. ;) ) - Swe
Raubtier - Swe (Growls on swe)
HOFFMAESTRO - Swe
The Kooks - Eng
Klaxons - Eng
José Gonzales - Swe
Röyksopp - Nor ( or is it Icelandic?)
Dapony Bros - Swe (sing on Swedish)
Kent - Swe (sings on swedish but have pretty sweet sound)

And I could go on for a while... ;)

There well known but heres some Irish bands ;
U2 - Never heard of them .
The Script - Apparantly popular in the states but we hate them , same with U2 actually .
Thin Lizzie - Whoever they are .
Van Morrison - Insert witty remark here .
Bell X1
The Coronas
Snow patrol (I think their Irish)
Westlife - scrapping the bottom of the barrel here
Boyzone - same again
The Blizzards - better
Crystal swing - oh god no .
Aslan
The corrs
And the list goes on . I'll post some trad if you are really that desperate .

Chorus

Skeleton
Sep 29, 2010
Heidevolk - Dutch ( the Netherlands )
Belgium Asociality - Dutch ( Belgium )
Marco Borsato - Dutch , i'm not a fan, but you asked for it.
Milk Inc. - English House music from Belgium.
Sylver - same as above.
De heideroosjes - Dutch ( The Netherlands )
james detd - Dutch ( Belgium )
Urbanus - Dutch ( Belgium - comedian )

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
You didn't put any restrictions on instrumental music, so you left yourself wide open for this~

I have been pestering you back and forth over MSN about the music ZUN has made with the Touhou series, but now it is time for you to listen to the pieces in their original quality, far away from YouTube's besmudgering fingers. You will be a richer person after having listened to it. :clown:

I'll send you a PM with a download link for a folder I've uploaded with some of my favourites.

Oh and don't worry, I have the decency to not include anything I've tampered with - I remember you being all sensitive about fast-paced music and how it "got in your face." ;)

:tongue:

Master Vampire

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jul 12, 2007
The Netherlands
Chorus said:
Heidevolk - Dutch ( the Netherlands )
Belgium Asociality - Dutch ( Belgium )
Marco Borsato - Dutch , i'm not a fan, but you asked for it.
Milk Inc. - English House music from Belgium.
Sylver - same as above.
De heideroosjes - Dutch ( The Netherlands )
james detd - Dutch ( Belgium )
Urbanus - Dutch ( Belgium - comedian )

lol Marco Borsato.

Anyhow, I think Onikaigo was hinting to artists who sing songs in different languages. ;)

Anyhow, try Kotiteollisuus or something of that matter -> Finnish metal. Fact that I know them means they are the bricks :P

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
If you fancy something a bit alternative not from America try Blutengal and Diary of Dreams, their a couple of my favourites.

ChaosJedi666

Black Knight
Feb 9, 2010
Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Um, I only know Metal so try,
Rammstain -German
Ensiferum - Finland? (spoken in English, but still epic!)
Turisas - Finland? (spoken in English)
Soilwork - Swedish (songs in English)
In Flames - Swedish (songs in English)
Apocalyptica - Finnish

Uuum, have more but need to go through my music collection 'cos I've just woken up and cannot remember them all at the moment.. :redface:

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
Awesome guys!

I'm going to work on 'Acquiring' these artists relatively soon, I just needed names to go on. :)

And yes, Masterspark, your music shall ever hold a rather special place in my heart. One I lock away and only let see daylight once every generation. Unfortunately, I only live one generation. =)

Righto, I knew I had this list somewhere on my computer. You wanted Japanese, well here are a few for you, artists name first, my fave songs of theirs afterwards. You've got a mixture of J-Pop, synth rock and some utter randomness:

Mami Kawada - I particularly like the songs Hishoku no Sora, Joint, Triangle and Sense, but thats just my taste.
Kotoko - Being, Sociometry and Blaze are my favourite songs of hers, but she has a LOT of good stuff. Might sound a little odd to western ears though.
Yoko Takahashi - Yoake Umarekuru Shoujo - Just the one song by her, but my GOD is it amazing.
Yoko Ishida - Aka no Seijaku - Don't know much else she has sang, but may be worth investigating.
Hayami Saori - Akai Hana Shiroi Hana - Slower paced than the rest, but nice to listen to.
T.M.Revolution - Resonance - The most 'rock' of them all if you ask me. Which you probably didn't. Heh, I'll tell you anyway.

I have a few other songs lying about on the mess that is my computer, but the above are my faves. Hopefully you'll enjoy them.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
You don't know how happy it makes me to be able to look at those japanese song titles and be able to translate half of them. It's amazing to me.

'Hishoku no Sora' Scarlet {colored} Sky
'Akai hana Shiroi Hana' Red flower white flower

Anyways. You-tubing a lot of these artists/songs now, and then going to a more permanent fix. :)

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Mar 3, 2008
Rotterdam
How about some Klezmer?

I guarantee you that there's bound to be some songs you like. It ranges from purdy violin solos that make you cry to upbeat music that either makes you nervous(some non-Jews want to kill me when I play it) or makes you want to drink booze and dance (though all songs makes you want to drink booze in the end so be warned).

For instrumental go for The Cracow Klezmer Band and in particular the album De Profundis. For simple fun Den Flygande Bokrullen or, my favorite, The Amsterdam Klezmer Band.

Maybe you will appreciate the music maybe you won't but managing to understand the lyrics is a whole other problem. If you know just a little German you might be able to catch some words.

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Sep 16, 2010
Sunderland, United Kingdom
I'll try and keep to less known bands and non American.

Try:

Wintersun
Xandria
Thrice Vheissu
Theaters Des Vampires (Extract from anne rice, itallian band, lLilith Mater Inferorum, Luciferia and La Danse Macabre are to die for)
We Butter The Bread With Butter (German, there are alot of different styles to their songs, great guitar)
TM Revolution

Now I am off to wonder why when i think of music I can never remember band names.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
If you are going to listen to Theatre de Vampires make it the old stuff. The newer stuff after Alexander left doesn't hold a candle to the old stuff.

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
May 17, 2008
Germany
:D My notepad list is definitely growing. =) I don't have my preferred software yet, but I'll get the stuff coming soon.

Thanks guys!

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
Hellacopters(Swedish) - Awesome rocknroll band, disbanded now but their albums are great.
Pray for Locust(Swedish) - Metal band similiar to machine head. Released their debut album recently.
The Hives(Swedish) - Probbaly already know them
Weeping Willows(Swedish) - more pop-ish but good stuff
Magnus Carlson(Lead singer from Weeping Willows solo project, not to be confused with the guy from Barbados...) - Sung in swedish, for the most part.
Wasted Penguinz(Swedish) - Hardstyle/hardcore trance group.
KT Tunstall(Scottish) - Indie-pop/rock. Very nice to listen to.
Tim Berg(Swedish) - Trance/Ambient stuff mostly.

There are more but these are the ones that comes to mind on the top of my head.

Zephyr

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Mar 3, 2008
Rotterdam
Disciple of Nagash said:
If you are going to listen to Theatre de Vampires make it the old stuff. The newer stuff after Alexander left doesn't hold a candle to the old stuff.

Gah! I thought it was just me. All the other folks I know love the new stuff but I was so disappointed with it.

I said Klezmer before but I don't know if you really wanted the music to be foreign as well or just the lyrics because in that case:

Laibach (art project/band from the Neue Slowenische Kunst). They re-do old classics. Some of their work is in English but also some others in Russian, German and a whole load more of Eastern European languages. If you like the heavier work of KMFDM you'll like this. The song Tanz mit Laibach is a definite winner!

Rakoth is a folk-metal Russian band. Depending on which cd you are able to grab it's either English or Russian but mostly Russian.

If you are really into melodic Black Metal like the old Cradle of Filth albums, and I'm talking old here not the crap they've been doing for a long time now, and you don't mind French Anorexia Nervosa is the way to go. Try and grab their lyrics as some are just plain funny. Drudenhaus is their best album IMO.

Jul 28, 2009
England
Hey dude got a few suggestions for you although really depends what sort if stuff you like

The Mad Capsule Markets-they are a Japanese techno/punk/metal band :) very very good

Bloodstain Child-also a Japanese band metal/techno

Ska P-a Spanish ska band,really political got banned from Italy because one of there members dressed up as the pope at a festival they played at lol

Sikth-a English metal band,one of the most technically amazing bands I have ever heard,did two albums then broke up it was a sad sad day I'll tell you :(

Just trying to think of ones I don't think America really heard,kudos on not liking American music,I completely agree that 90% of it is shit,although old slipknot and system of a down are some of my favourite bands,as well as He Is Legend and the Fall Of Troy,you should definatly check out the last two,beware Fall Of Troy tho it's a very sporadic music :) hope some of this helps

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu