• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Evening all!

I didn't make too much more progress tonight. I’m in the fine details stage of the beast so it’s coming to a crawl now. I was going to originally enter this in a contest set for the 21 of September, but I won’t be able to make it due to a wedding. So, I have an entire extra year to get this guy just right and the base I’m creating for it.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_E_100_16.jpg

Pin washing, filters and oil paint rendering will be the name of the game for the next 10 or so hours of this project.

As always, C&C is appreciated.

All the best,

Jake

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
I made some further progress on the best tonight. Not too much, but I wanted to accent the right side a little to make it look like the crew likes to sit on that side a bit.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_E_100_17.jpg

All the best,

Jake

darkmark

Black Knight
Jan 12, 2008
Hi,
Interesting to see somebody painting up tanks here! I think more people should port the techniques over into their fantasy models. Learning to use some simple weathering tricks could really push up peoples' level. For example, rusting and chipping armour, or using pigments for cool effects.

Anyways, I like the work so far on the tank. Check this guy's thread to see how he goes that extra step to make the rusting and chipping work. I don't think you should go as far as him, but the rusting modulation would really up the over all effect. Here.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming
I love how so much more impressive the pictures are on the computer compared to the phone. Beautiful tank can't wait to see it done. So is this one going into a competition?

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks guys!

Santawraith said:
I love how so much more impressive the pictures are on the computer compared to the phone. Beautiful tank can't wait to see it done. So is this one going into a competition?

This is actually one of several that I'll enter in for a competition. It's actually a warm up for a Shadowsword I'm working on a certain someone as well!!

I made some further progress tonight. I’d say the turret is nearly 90% done now. I need to work on the barrel obviously, but it’s coming along. I plan to make some further progress this week, but we’ll see how it goes.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_E_100_18.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_E_100_21.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_E_100_20.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_E_100_19.jpg

Next up: the rear portion of the tank consisting of the exhausts and other finicky engine bits.

As always, C&C is greatly appreciated!

Jake

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Good evening gents,

I made a bit more progress tonight. I added some further white-wash splotches around the hull and deck areas. I then went to town with pin washes, oils and some filters. I’m getting closer to working on the wheels, engine bits and the tracks now.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_E_100_22.jpg

As always C&C is greatly appreciated!

All the best,

Jake

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Hey all,

It’s been a while since some updates, but I’ve made some further progress. Tonight I went to work on the engine deck some more and also on the exhausts.
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_E_100_24.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_E_100_23.jpg
As always, C&C is appreciated.

All the best,
Jake

Lynks

Lord of RAW
True Blood
Dec 29, 2010
Sydney
That's looking fantastic Redarmy!

If you would like some constructive criticism, the only place i can really see is that from the perspective of the last picture, the top of the turret's scrape marks don't really look like the kind of pattern that would develop from turret motion/ firing or rust growing from such a pattern, you've got arcs meeting at sharp points in 4 different directions. (the bottom is fine). I would recommend separating that clump up a bit into three different parts- the point furthest to the left from the photo's perspective, the 'main arc' in the middle and the two points to the right (the separation following an arc the turret could generate)

This should look a little better, but even so it's a really great job so far and I'm not sure it'd be worth the effort to change it :P

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Hey guys,

It's been while since I've been able to actually build an army and get some games in. I started while in college and primarily focused on painting and the hobby side of the game. I've played as High Elves, Dark Elves, and Warriors of Chaos. I had a blast, but my local meta became incredibly competitive and too rude for my liking.

From there, I went and continued to paint models and actually transferred over to painting 1/35 scale armor. I love using my airbrushes and making things look as gritty and real as possible.

Recently, I met a great group of guys to play with and decided to pick up the hobby again and actually play. I picked up an army I've always wanted to paint: Ogres!

So here's where we are so far....

Here is my stonehorn so far:
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Ogre_20Army_Stonehorn1.jpg
I'm trying to decide how I want to do the head of the lovely beastie. I have quite the highlands theme going for the basing of the army. I think it works quite well.

I have "three" mournfang for my army so far. One is actually a conversion of a Carnosaur, which I mounted an ogre on to be the mournfang champ. Who wouldn't want an ogre on a dinosaur?
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Ogre_20Army_MournfangCarno1.jpg

It's all a work in progress. To boot I have:

1 Tyrant
1 Slaughtermaster/butcher
1 Firebelly
8 Leadbelchers
12 Ogres
12 Ironguts
1 Giant
3 Mournfang
1 Leadblaster

And the list keeps on growing!

All the best,

Jake

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Sep 12, 2011
Oh boy can't wait to see more, I love the theme very fitting, will you have the gritty feel on the ogres themselves too or are you Breaking it up with some spot colours?

Really dig the carnosaur!! :konrad:

Will we see a arachnarok too or are you just using the woody part of the kit? :happy:

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Bullhax said:
Oh boy can't wait to see more, I love the theme very fitting, will you have the gritty feel on the ogres themselves too or are you Breaking it up with some spot colours?

Really dig the carnosaur!! :konrad:

Will we see a arachnarok too or are you just using the woody part of the kit? :happy:

Thanks! I'll make the ogres look very gritty themselves, but I think I may either use blues or reds for the accent colors. I'm thinking of blue as I'll dabble some blood here and there on them. I'm not sure yet.

As for the spider, I'm actually painting that for a friend's army, however, the idea of using that beast would be pretty sweet for this army!

Jake

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Well it's certainly been a while since I've been able to sit down and work on this beast, but it should be done by the end of the week. Needless to say, I'm rather excited!

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_E_100_E_100_PreWheels.jpg

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_E_100_E_100_PreWheels2.jpg

As always, C&C is greatly appreciated!

Jake

darkmark

Black Knight
Jan 12, 2008
I think a sprinkling of foliage would add to the over all effect. Perhaps some boot marks by the turret too?

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
darkmark said:
I think a sprinkling of foliage would add to the over all effect. Perhaps some boot marks by the turret too?

I've considered doing that as well. For the foliage, I'm not sure if I want to make it look like it's in a town setting now or not. Otherwise, I do have some small leaves I'll be throwing on there here and there.

As for the boot prints, I'm not sure how I'd do those, but I could probably use some oils for that look. Great idea!

Jake

untitled_musketeer

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 9, 2010
Huddersfield
It might be worth making a stencil for those. Get a muddy boot prints off the internet and scale it down to whatever scale you are using. Unless you have a program, it might just be a case of maintaining the aspect ratio and keep going smaller, printing off samples and using a figure of the similar scale to help. Once you're happy, cut it out with a scalpel and you're laughing. Use oils, airbrush or pigment, I'm sure they'd look good!

This one looks good, not too crisp.

boot-example.jpg

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
untitled_musketeer said:
It might be worth making a stencil for those. Get a muddy boot prints off the internet and scale it down to whatever scale you are using. Unless you have a program, it might just be a case of maintaining the aspect ratio and keep going smaller, printing off samples and using a figure of the similar scale to help. Once you're happy, cut it out with a scalpel and you're laughing. Use oils, airbrush or pigment, I'm sure they'd look good!

This one looks good, not too crisp.

boot-example.jpg

Hmmm...I'll give them a shot over the weekend! I think it'd be a great little thing to try. If I mess up, I can always clean it up a little with white spirits.

Still working on the wheels. I should have them all assembled and ready for priming tomorrow.

Tonight I made some adjustments to my photo setup. I think this image displays the true colors of the beast a bit better!
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_E_100_PreWheels3.jpg

All the best,
Jake

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
I am done with the "build" portion of the tank! The tracks are fitted and sit well now. I'll add the pigments and dirt tomorrow or over the course of the weekend. After further thought and consideration, I've decided to remove the side-skirts. All of the e-series vehicles I've seen seldom had intact side-skirts. With how beat up and worn I've made this one, I've decided to lose them all together. Thoughts?

Yes, the naked spots will have their share of pigments soon enough!

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_E_100_WithTracks_2.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_E_100_WithTracks.jpg

All the best,

Jake

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Well after a longtime coming, I have finally finished this animal. Being my third armor piece, I'm pretty happy to how it turned out. I can see some areas that I need to improve upon, but there's always my next build to push even further with.

Without further ado:
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_E_100_Trumpeter_MigContest_Final.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_E_100_Trumpeter_MigContest_Final_2.jpg

As always C&C is greatly appreciated!

It's been a great build.

All the best,

Jake

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Hey guys!
I’m back on another WWII subject. This one is for a contest which ends in a few weeks so I’m hustling along. My idea is to create an abandoned and ransacked Komet. I’ll be adding much more foliage than this, but at least it’s a start.

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Komet4.jpg

As always, C&C is appreciated!

Jake

Bullhax

Vampire Count
True Blood
Sep 12, 2011
Wow very cool Jake, I really like it a lot.! How long ago was it abandoned? I feel like it seems too clean somehow, foliage will help if grown onto the plane itself. The exhaust could use some weathering too (don't know how life-like it actually is that soot comes there but it seems like it's never been used somehow.

I would have some of your cool ass dirt come on to the wing of plane low to the ground.
Weather the wheel, make the rubber itself a bit torn.
Add rust effect to the wheel.
Add soot to the exhaust.
Add foliage to the plane up the sides. Wines or the like maybe.

I love the project and it is very cool as is the above is just ment as inspiration. Can't wait to see the finished project!!

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks for the feedback! I'm actually waiting to add more weathering to the plane until the base is in the final stages. By doing this, I can keep the tones a bit more unified with the base as I finish the two simultaneously. I'll get there though!

Jake

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
The newer edition of The Weathering Magazine (Kursk) paid off tonight. I spent about 30 min tonight working on the base and adding textures. It's one of probably several to a dozen layers I'll be adding. It'll be at an "incline" of layers scaling to the back. The barrels will have considerable leaf scatter on and around them. I'll add grass eventually, but was waiting for the trees to dry and set. I'll then move onto finishing up the weathering work on the plane and the concrete around it.

Without Komet:
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Komet7.jpg

With Komet:
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Komet8.jpg

As always, C&C is greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Jake

Mannerheim27

True Blood
Sep 29, 2009
Minnesota
Moving at a snail's pace tonight, I added more layers of autumn leaves so there's a lot more color now. I'll be adding washes and such to dull them down tomorrow. I also worked on weathering the plan itself now. I'm getting closer and closer to be being done!

ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Komet9.jpg
ai174.photobucket.com_albums_w108_redarmy27_Komet10.jpg

I just need to add some grasses, tone down the leaves, add some fuel staining and I think I might be able to call it good here shortly.

All the best,

Jake

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu