Santa's Workshop : NSFW Kharn

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
RE: Dragon Legion NSFW updated 1-29-12 Zombie Cake

Great Cake! As always Santa I am dead impressed with how quickly you can get your models done. I honestly wish I could paint as fast as you. I have to agree with Malochai. I was very skeptical about the Vargheists but they're looking cracking. I might have to try odd combos with washes myself. Inspired!

Can't wait to see how the progress.

u_m
 
RE: Dragon Legion NSFW updated 1-29-12 Zombie Cake

We stumbled on that by accident, really. Years ago she was messing around with washes and did it on accident. Later we wanted to replicate it and couldn't until we found a half finished one. :) It sounds iffy, but has such amazing results. Looks good on gorgers in the ogre army too. ;)
 
RE: Dragon Legion NSFW updated 1-29-12 Zombie Cake

I may have to see what it does on Rat Ogres or something similar, although maybe with a darker wash. Stumbled upon a wonderfully simple scheme there, Santa. Thanks
 
RE: Dragon Legion NSFW updated 1-30-12 vargheist finished

ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu220_vannahscreations_Dragon_20Legion_013012vargheist3.webp

ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu220_vannahscreations_Dragon_20Legion_013012vargheist2.webp

ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu220_vannahscreations_Dragon_20Legion_013012vargheist1.webp

Vargheist finished I like how they turned out I had to go get a few more of the new models after these.
 
RE: Loyalists and the emporer's minion's. Black Templar's

So I recently got a used Templar army as a commission payment. I love there fluff and am eager to fix there paint they are really just touch ups. But here are the ones I have finished.

ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu220_vannahscreations_Black_20Tec2204dc25610f6d9871613d749e852e5.webp

Honored Dreadnought

ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu220_vannahscreations_Black_20Templars_013012blacktemplarmarine.webp

Sargent with powerfist

ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu220_vannahscreations_Black_20Templars_013012blacktemplarmarine2.webp

Initiate
 
RE: Dragon Legion NSFW updated 1-30-12 vargheist finished

Looking great Santa! Just a small point and it's a preference really - I think the highlight on the cheek is a little harsh but I also appreciate that could also be the lighting. I think it just could do the the edge being softened with your midtone colour.

Cheers,

u_m
 
RE: Dragon Legion NSFW updated 1-30-12 vargheist finished

I think its the lighting cause in the earlier pictures with the camera phone doesn't show it so harshly. I think I will retake a picture with the camera phone and see. He looks really good in person, But lets see what the camera phone does with pictures.
 
RE: Dragon Legion NSFW updated 1-30-12 vargheist finished

ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu220_vannahscreations_2a9b81af.webp


Part of it was the lighting. Part of it was the effect I was going for. I was aiming for the look of a half starved wild creature, where it's sickly and the skin is nearly translucent over the bones. You know the look?

So knowing the look I was aiming for, how would you achieve that?
 
RE: Dragon Legion NSFW updated 1-30-12 vargheist finished

It looks a lot different under softer, more natural light! Everything just looks much smoother. I had a feeling it was likely to be the bright light source as I have similar problems when photographing my Sanguinor. I will take some pictures in different lights to show you what I mean!I think you achieved the half-starved and translucent quality you were after.

If it were me I might consider painting it in a similar way to Red's skin tutorial in the Invocation and perhaps change the palette slightly. Essentially I'd try layering on ultra thin layers of really pallid skin colours over much dark muscle tones (the same way I paint tattoos). Generally I work on the principle of the bigger the beast, the darker the skin.

Keep it up pal, I'm always impressed at how quickly you can knock out quality minis!

u_m
 
RE: Traitor's legions, traitor Guard and Deamons NSFW Nocturne Khorne beserker

I really like that each piece in your army looks so individual!
Do you use red spray for base coat?
 
RE: Dragon Legion NSFW updated 1-31-12 Wight king

Thanks I will give that a try next time I think also thanks for the compliments on getting the look I was going for.

ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu220_vannahscreations_Dragon_20Legion_013112wightlord.webp

Wight king I like this model he is a good one while painting him I went for a magic blade or a blade cracking with magic It looks good in person thought the picture and lighting don't do it justice though I feel I still have so much to learn on doing them.
 
RE: Traitor's legions, traitor Guard and Deamons NSFW Nocturne Khorne beserker

ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu220_vannahscreations_Legion_20o459784284c178e1e9f4893b6cd2bbccc.webp


This model was based on the idea of lucis In the horus heresy series fighting with two swords. I got to thinking if one person can do that then others would too. So This khorne beserker has duel chainswords which make him a twirling blade of death. In the dance of close combat.
 
RE: Dragon Legion NSFW updated 1-31-12 Wight king

Santawraith said:
Thanks I will give that a try next time I think also thanks for the compliments on getting the look I was going for.

ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu220_vannahscreations_Dragon_20Legion_013112wightlord.webp

Wight king I like this model he is a good one while painting him I went for a magic blade or a blade cracking with magic It looks good in person thought the picture and lighting don't do it justice though I feel I still have so much to learn on doing them.

If like me your hands suffer from wobbles, try ultra thin paint and a tooth pick. You can use the thicker end for the aurora and then the thin end for the actual spark if that makes sense?
 
RE: Dragon Legion NSFW updated 1-31-12 Wight king

Nice looking wight king. I would perhaps try some badab black to soften the turqoisey/black contrast on the cloak, and try mixing some more shades of red into the lightning- get it nice and layered, and then put a wash over it.
The fur looks really nicely done btw.
 
RE: Loyalists and the emporer's minion's. Black Templar's

Hey pal,

That lightning is looking really sweet. Glad the toothpick trick worked for you - it does a marvellous job.! It definitely makes life a whole bunch easier!

This is how I did my last force weapon. I used a toothpick too. Ahh the effects you can achieve with non standerd painting gear.

ai219.photobucket.com_albums_cc33_theretrose_Untitled_DSC_1168.webp


I painted the axe head Hawk Turquoise then layered on really thin layers of Mithril Silver. This was shaded with Boltgun Metal, Chaos Black and Asurmen Blue before a glaze of Hawk Turquoise was applied. The lightning was Lighniting Blue and Hawk Turquoise with a a touch of white before a thin line of white in the centre. The whole thing was washed again with a really thin layer of Hawk Turquoise.
Bit of a long winded process but it came out ok!

The lettering on the shoulder pad was done with a toothpick too!
ai219.photobucket.com_albums_cc33_theretrose_Untitled_DSC_1172.webp


Keep thinking outside the box. It'll save your ass!

Cheers,

u_m
 
RE: Loyalists and the emporer's minion's. Black Templar's

Yeah, no worries! Anything I can do to help! For the lettering I did on Dante I just put the alphabet into a whole load of different fonts, upper and lower case and found the one that fitted best.

Can't wait to see what you do. I love following your plogs!
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu