• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Sessioni's project eternal: Skeletons, first batch

SWEET BANNER! why do i not think of putting skulls up like that UGH people are so smart. lol Yeah Vargy sounds good. I got lucky and the underside looks good since it's sort of hidden anyways hehe I guess i cheated my vargy model :( maybe someday I'll go back and green stuff over the ribs and fleshy areas to actually finish the look.

Sessioni

Black Knight
Thanks everybody! :)

@Hutobega I remember someone posting the same "mistake" (considering banner), so I got the idea from Carpe Noctem :D Thanks for whoever got that in my mind!

I decided to put an axe for him, I think it gives him "harsh" look along with closed helmet, looking down at YOU!

edit: I found out @Theerteen posted a pic of his banner in show us threads! Nice work.

Last edited:
I'm down with your Nito idea. I'm a huge Dark Souls fan and have the aesthetic of the game in mind with my guys. Brilliant painting on your models. I absolutely love them! :D

Sessioni

Black Knight
Thank you kindly @Orlaster ! I visited your plog, it's awesome, truly creative! I hope I'll get Nito started some day, I have to paint as much as I can this month, next month I'll participate in a warhammer tournament, so Nito won't be priority no.1 for now I'm afraid.

So there's my first almost painted Blood Knight, not happy with the banner yet. What do you think about the colors? The picture isn't so good, the steeds armor is dark, but it's not that dark :D

Sessioni

Black Knight
Finished the fourth knight, wielding a morning star :D I'm trying to make them look like "medieval", if you can see what I mean.

Sessioni

Black Knight
Thanks!

They are all (well I assembled just 6 out of 10) ready for painting now, even started a little:

Coming up, my old old friend, he has been in a random box for ages, only thing missing is the coffin :/ I love those tiny horses, so I'm going to use them rather than skeletal steeds :D

edit: Which sized base Black Coach is supposed to be?

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Sessioni Nice looking blood knights, the guy on the far left is the best!

I would say 50mm x 100mm but just checked GW's website and it looks like the coach is a little too long for that size... And damn! They're wanting £36 for it these days?! I bought this mini for £18 back in the day...

@Sessioni: That's a great Blood Knights unit! You've really pulled it of. I've seen Dragon Princes converted to BloodK before but they always look to much like elves. The way you've done it, with undead spears as back banners, morning star and axe as weapons really makes the conversion work. Now they look more like a group of individual warriors banded together than a regular unit which works well with the whole Blood Dragon concept. Nice work!

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Yep, the Coach is a chariot base, but the horses will hang off the front. Unless you model it flying like some crafty folks do from time to time.

Sessioni

Black Knight
@Nagash Worshiper Thanks! I'm glad you like them, I tried to make them look individual as you said, and apparently I succeeded. I cut off the elf lances heads and replaced it with skeleton warrior spear tips. They are going to get grave guard shields. Everyone is going to get lance, shield and a hand weapon, if not held, then just hanging on the side. Maybe some pouches, and other gear also, so they look ready for long travels and marauding villages (well they don't need to eat, sleep or keep warm but eh.. I didn't think about that)

@Farmer7574 @Adam_Barrow : So it's okay if I put it on 150x50mm base?
I've seen Black Coaches converted flying, it's a cool idea but I prefer staying on the ground :D I found 2 old bretonnian (?) horses with clothing all over, and I'm going to use them rather than the "tiny horses" mentioned (and shown) above. That way I can easier bind the black coach to the rest of the army's color theme, which is red. And they look more elegant.

Found a picture of the horses

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Really like that you are going for different tones on vampire armour and horse barding. Too few do that, especially with Blood Knights. Looking forward to seeing them fully painted.

About the black coach. Using a larger base is almost always a disadvantage so people should be okay with it. To be safe you could mark out on the base how long the original should be, or keep a spare with you to replace the coach if you ever find yourself in a tight spot.

Sessioni

Black Knight
@Mad 'At Thanks for the compliments, I'm a big fan of your plog, some awesome stuff there! ;) I wanted the knights to really pop out, so there was no way I'd paint horses with same tone. Base color is still the same Gory Red from Vallejo, only darkened so that it's almost purple. Btw, it's damn hard to paint gory red on black undercoat, just finished painting every knight with it. Black spots everywhere, need to do more layers.

Considering black coach, I'll go with the 50x150mm base, there will be no arguing about that, I usually play with my friends and our games are friendly (lots of dice rolling if there's a weird situation, we don't tend to start arguing about it, later we can check via internet).

@Nagash Worshiper Well yeah, I guess so :D Sneaky vampires...

Sessioni

Black Knight
So far I've been hating painting Blood knights :D They ended up pretty messy and rude, red is hard to paint.. Plus I lost one of the cool shields I converted for them, no idea where it went :D Not satisfied at all, but they'll be ready this week I hope.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Sessioni Are you thinning your paints enough with water? I found that reds are quite thick and have to be thinned down quite a bit. Remember, it's always better to do several thin coats (especially over a black undercoat) than try to do it in one coat to get a solid looking red.

Sessioni

Black Knight
@Sessioni Are you thinning your paints enough with water? I found that reds are quite thick and have to be thinned down quite a bit. Remember, it's always better to do several thin coats (especially over a black undercoat) than try to do it in one coat to get a solid looking red.
I think I don't thin them enough, I know why and how much one should thin paints, but you're right, it seems that reds are a little thicker than other paints.
Here's a little sneak peak:
On his waist there is some bad green stuff work (as I said, I'm not so good at sculpting :D) But as you can see, some thick painting going on there. At least the steeds barding is quite thin and even. But I guess they will look good if you look at them from a distance ;) 2 knights to go and some final detailing.

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Sessioni That paint job is looking awesome! You're right about the barding on his mount, it's painted smoothly and well I reckon. Have a go at thinning the paints a little more though, blood knights are scarce and generally catch the eye and so it's better to try and make these turn out well by spending a little more time on them.

Great colours and can't wait to see them when they're all done!

Sessioni

Black Knight
Thanks @Farmer7574 ! I am very uncertain about my paintings, but I'm glad you like it, even tho I'm still not very pleased for the result :D
Yeah, I should really concentrate on these, there's a small tournament and everything coming in few weeks. A lot of models to be painted before that, even tho there's no restrictions considering painted models, I want as much done as possible. I'll probably build my list based on painted models xD

Sessioni

Black Knight
My painting progress has slowed down now when I should speed it up :D Bought the paints for your bone-recipe @Farmer7574 thanks for the tip! I also bought something I've always wanted:
Unit filler for my zombies.

Last edited: