• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

Sessioni's project eternal: Skeletons, first batch

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Another fine army growing up :) The giant is an especially good thing, good work on zombiefying him :thumbsup: even if it's such a big mini in such a small role xD Covered helmets on the blood nights and heck, whole work on those frilly elves and making them into proper vampires is awesome. I'm not so sure about the pink color, but let's wait for the completed mini before commenting about it ;) Also, the bats - they really look like the chaotic mess they are supposed to represent on the battlefield, with the -1 to hit and all xD
Additional points for using bretonnian bits for black knights - good job. I would only add some white highlights to the etheral parts, right now they look quite flat. But once I think about it - maybe that's the right thing about it :)

Also - I don't know if it still applies, but near the beginning you were asking about the bases and how to make them more interesting. Special effects can help, but there is always a simple thing to do - to add stones/pebbles of different sizes to the sand mix - it greatly enchances the base in my opinion.

Good luck with further work on your army xD

Sessioni

Black Knight
Thanks a lot @Borgnine :D About the Blood knights, I really did go a little too far with the pink, some of them are a lot brighter. I should probably go back and repaint some of the areas. But I still like the pink color, that's gonna be my whole army's scheme. Hey, I'm glad you mentioned the basing issues :D That's a good tip, I think I'll give it a go. I love everything about your Hexwraiths, and how you've based them. Nice job!

Right now I'm thinking about another unit of Blood knights, but made from Bretonnian knights. But that'll have to wait, there is core units to be painted :D

Sessioni

Black Knight
Tomorrow I'll get a bunch of unpainted but assembled Bretonnians. 1 General, 1 damsel on foot, 2 damsels riding a horse, a reaper Griffon model, about 50 men-at-arms, about 50 bowmen, 10 pilgrims, 3 pegasus knights, 5 questing knights and 15 knights of the realm + about 35 unassembled zombies and 35 unassembled old skeleton warriors. That's gonna cost me 160 euros. Good price for unpainted (partly unassembled) models.

The plan with those is making a full bretonnia themed undead army, which I could play as Bretonnians also if I wanted. I have some men-at-arms myself, which I used as Grave Guard back in the 6th edition. The other friend of mine is also willing to sell his bretonnians to me, he has more men-at-arms, questing knights and knights of the realm. They are also unpainted. I am so psyched about this project, but this will have to wait. Momentum for purchasing them cannot wait tho :D

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Sessioni Well man, they look mighty cool! I kit bashed some men-at-arms and some old metal skeleton halberdiers before, they looked pretty cool but too uniform and tidy. These guys, however, are awesome!

Sessioni

Black Knight
@Farmer7574 Thanks! Do you have any pictures of your unit? I haven't applied green stuff yet, but I will add all kinds of things on them, such as chainmail areas for naked zombies. Men-at-arms zombies will be "led" by knights, I think it looks very cool. I also made squires carrying a lance for the knight :D I am very excited about this unit, I hope it will turn out okay.

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
I must also say that adding a knight to the mix was an awesome idea! Really breaks the rigidy of the unit and adds tons of flavour. I look forward to the finished thing.

Sessioni

Black Knight
Hello again and thanks for the comments!

@Farmer7574 you got some nice skeletons there, never sell them :D Satan is watching them from below! @Borgnine Thanks, the idea just hit me like a lightning and I went straight on to execute it. Here's a little update, 20 Zombie men-at-arms are ready, ~40 to go.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FHfKkwmR.jpg&hash=cd5a69c5e4732561945d2786f455e82c

Too bad the picture doesn't show you every conversion I've done, but every model is unique, kinda. Suggestions for unit-filler ideas are very welcome!

The undead Bretonians are great. I just won a huge box of Empire dudes that I gave to my son to make into Zombies. I'm doing another horde of my GoT Zombies and will put his Zombie unit in between my two units giving us over 150 zombies to place in the front row of the Army. I need more zombie and skull heads though to place on the Empire dudes, Only have about 20 out of 50 with actual zombie heads the rest may have to be green stuffed and painted to look like Zombos.

Sessioni

Black Knight
@wheeljack Thank you kindly! I have seen your and your sons white walker themed zombies and I think they look great and it's a great idea, being a fan of the series myself! :D Actually I thought your painting style today, and I want to add the same kind of glowing eyes -effect to my bret-zombies too. Empire styled zombies will definitely look cool, the more the merrier. I got my eyes on your plog ;)

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Sessioni Yeh man, I'll never throw them on eBay or anything. They've got sentimental value now and the price they'd go for just wouldn't be worth it.

Suggestions for unit-filler ideas are very welcome!
I've been brainstorming ideas these days for my zombies but haven't bothered actually putting them into action yet because it's quite frankly too damn humid to do anything.

Here's what I got for conversions;
-cannonball hole in torso,
-bear trap on leg,
-giant slash down torso causing part of it to dangle off,
-Michael Jackson thriller zombie,
-axes & weapons stuck in body,
-one carrying a spinal cord,
-one holding his head on,
-birds pecking at zombies as they shamble along,
-peppered with arrows,
-spear impaled up through one's torso (standard bearer),
-limbs removed & stuck to torso (see Ser Jamie Lannister),
-holding guts in,
-zombie snacking on a bird,

And for fillers;
-zombie without legs pulling himself along,
-bird flying off with one's head,
-zombie stumbling forth with another's guts tangled around his ankles and the corpse in tow,
-zombie ogres,
-multiple zombies skewered on a spear,
-zombies feasting on a corpse or animals,
-zombies trying to eat each other,

I think that's all for now. These aren't all my ideas, but just things I've seen in others' plogs or thought of then written down.

@Mad 'At has an awesome and diverse zombie collection you might want to check out.

Hope this all helps you out. :thumbsup:

Sessioni

Black Knight
@Farmer7574 Wow, thanks, you have a lot of SICK ideas! :D I have thought about adding multiple zombies impaled with a giant bolt, the first one falling on the belly of the second, third one having a hole in his belly and the fourth with the bolt sticking out of his belly. Me and my friends have been joking about making a whole regiment of zombies dancing the thriller -dance :D I have indeed checked @Mad 'At s plog, and frankly I think his zombies are the best I've seen, plus very inspirational.

nice list @Farmer7574 love the Jamie lanister idea, and the zombie snacking on some kfc/bird. My son did a conversion last night that I made him take apart. He had one zombie bent over with a horn stuck in his butt and another zombie was bent over listening to the horn LMAO.

Sessioni

Black Knight
Hahah :D I guess your son was bored :D I've done some crazy conversions too when I was younger, I was experimenting a lot with green stuff and paint mixtures. I actually have most of them still somewhere laying around. But I have to say, I never did go that "far", it's good that he has a sense of humor!

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
@Sessioni Cheers mate, I can't take credit for all of them but this is a list I've put together whilst sifting through plogs and being bored on the commute to work.

Thriller filler would be so cool, I'd love to see someone do this!

And what a steal you've got yourself with that T-Bat, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on mine which is waiting at home for me (I work abroad).

@wheeljack Cheers mate! I'm a fan of that idea too. I made an Afro of skulls for one of my savage orc Boyz ages ago and thought a cape of legs or Afro of hands nailed to a zombie would be fun to do.

Your son has some hilarious ideas. I'd like to see him to a block of fully converted zombies xD

Sessioni

Black Knight
The terrorgheist will have to wait, because I really got into this bretonnian thing :D
It is amazingly refreshing to paint on a white undercoat. I bought from two friends of mine approximately 2500 points of knights and peasants :D
But I will definitely complete one of my VC units first!

Sessioni

Black Knight
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FiuAm4j9.png&hash=ccbcff31cafeba0370b19c24b07af974

Finished this bad boy today, I didn't bother painting his eyes, I'd probably ruin the model :D
I also tried "gem" -effect on the skull, I think it looks okay!

Sessioni

Black Knight
The terrorgheist will have to wait, because I really got into this bretonnian thing :D
It is amazingly refreshing to paint on a white undercoat. I bought from two friends of mine approximately 2500 points of knights and peasants :D
But I will definitely complete one of my VC units first!
Pfffff, forget about that :D Started painting Terrorgheist today. It's quite hard to separate bone/flesh/skin -areas, I don't want to mess this thing up.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F1i9eFi7.jpg&hash=504249956296d618145ae0ec71639b33

We're getting there.. Somehow the other rib twisted a bit, and it's quite interesting to glue it on, but I think I'll manage

Last edited:

Sessioni

Black Knight
@Farmer7574 Thanks! I've been working on this almost everyday this week, but it will take some time to finish it. Here's some WIP pictures:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FJoUSvNV.png&hash=c734efbf3252ac8e77fd49868c354d09

And here's the problem I mentioned, the ribs are pain in the ass :D

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fa1VGH1C.png&hash=4b55f583f8f8c6335dab174b29fac24c

Borgnine

Staff member
True Blood
Going good there, I like the bones ;) And as for the ribcage, it isn't very noticeable when it's finished, so that's not a big problem xD And good luck with the wings :thumbsup: