• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
The generic version doesn't retain everything. Generic 'Wight King with Black Axe' has one fewer attack than Krell, one point worse saving throw, and lacks Krell's 'champion of the dead' rule that gave him bonuses when attacking enemy heroes. If your army included Krell and other 'Wight Kings with Black Axes', then Krell would still be the baddest dude among them by a significant margin.

Reactions: Dragonet

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
Yup, they're exactly the normal kits (although sometimes in different numbers than those kits are normally packaged with). So the malignant box can build a coven throne instead of the mortis engine, and black knights instead of hexwraiths, though the formation rules included only cover the advertised units. Likewise the new "skeleton horde" (seriously, it only comes with 10 skeletons, that's not a 'horde') can build mannfred or neferata instead of arkhan and hexwraiths instead of black knights, should you wish, though the formation is expected to only cover arkhan, one unit of black knights, and one unit of skeletons.

Hellion Nox

Grave Guard
Nov 10, 2014
Oh, when I asked my FLGS owner if I could make the other models from the Malignant kit he claimed that it was only the models shown on the package..

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
So, the kit's out today. Does anybody have this yet? Any word on whether the formation is any good?

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
I've seen the formation rules for the skelehorde, unfortunately it is neither the most original nor the most impressive of formations. It convers the 4" move in the command phase ability from the Legion of Death. That's it, nothing else. Might as well take it if fielding those units anyways, but I don't see it as the 'reason to field black knights' that I've personally been waiting for.

Reactions: Oppenheimer

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
It's a shame; surely the greatest benefit of removing the points system is to allow any cool stuff to go into the rules and to find its balance among the players? What kind of formation rules would you want to see for the Undead? A couple of fun ideas:

. Fear of the dark: Spirit Hosts summoned within 6" of enemy units cause Terror checks.

. Death before dishonour: Black Knights, Blood Knights and Grave Guard only. +1 to hit. Units must advance each turn; those that don't lose 1 model or wound each turn; this affects combat resolution!

Reactions: Menkeroth

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu