• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Sep 29, 2013
New Zealand
Criminals in the dungeons...one more reason you do not want to be a Vampire's prisoner.

So this is the beginning of Nicoletto's post as fencing master. i suppose a Lahmian would be very good at this, what with natural bloodline speed.

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
Plus he's a former winner of a inter-national rapier competition were he represented Tilea.

A lot less competition than it would seem since Tilea and Estalia were the countries at the time with decent rapier schools (In my stories background ofc)

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
With Estalia and Tilea being Warhammer's Spain and Italy, respectively, I don't think setting them up as the premier places for rapier fencing would be too far off. :)

Reactions: Get of W'soran

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
The Contest of Blades
Part 10

Drakenhof Castle – Main Hall
Winter – 1962 IC

Nicoletto grimaced as he told the others his opponent for the soon to begin match.

That is...unfortunate.” Alfonso said with a wry smile.

Well it was either him or Akimitsu as these are the Semi-Finals. I'd say he lucked out actually.” Simon argued.

The huge vampire shook his head. “I trained Dieter to counter rapiers, both the Estalian and Tilean styles, where as I wouldn't be surprised if the Nipponese man had never faced such a blade before.”

That's true.”

Nicoletto spun around to glare at his so called friends. “You're not filling me with confidence.” he muttered angrily.

The next match will be Lord Nicoletto Viganni de Remas.” Thomas called.

With a curse Nicoletto walked towards the fencing area forcing a weak smile on his face as he tried not be sick.

Good luck! And don't try blocking!” the Estalian called after him but the Tilean was too nervous to reply.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Lisette stood near the the side lines as Nicoletto strode out, the Lahmian moved with his usual grace and easy confidence as he smiled around at the audience who cheered in return.

Lisette grinned, she was glad to hear of this in truth, the Tilean vampire was a better man than most of the living dead and deserved the respect he was being afforded although she knew that not all of the court was too happy about an outsider doing so well.

How do you think he'll do my dear?” the Handmaiden asked the large warrior to her right.

Karek grunted. “He'd better win after how he dealt with me.” he growled.

Lisette giggled softly, despite the beating he had endured her champion felt no anger against Nicoletto, rather he had a begrudging respect for the man and was grateful towards him for sparing his siress.

She turned as Nicoletto's opponent was called.

His opponent will be the Captain of the Count's Guard and the Sylvanian Greatsword Regent, Captain Dieter Schwartz.” Thomas called.

The guard captain strode out with his greatsword leaning against his shoulder, his expression as stoic as usual.

As the two fighters readied themselves for the match Lisette heard a few snickering men behind her.

This'll be that foreign bastard's last fight.” a man whispered.

Lisette spun to see who was speaking but the two figures where moving away through the crowd.

Turning she nodded to Karek “Let's go.”

Handmaiden and Templar pushed their way through the crowds to follow the men.

------------------------------------------------------------

Nicoletto sidestepped a fearful thrust from the guardsman and tried to close the distance so that he could lunge but was forced back again by the other man's gleaming blade.

That damn sword sure does shine.” he thought to himself with illogical annoyance as he side stepped another attack and tried for a quick cut to Dieter's throat.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Alfonso frowned as he watched the match...there was something strange happening in that arena but he couldn't put his finger on what.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Lisette and Karek followed the two men down the halls of Drakenhof, they appeared to be heading towards the catacombs.

Why? There's nothing down there...” she thought to herself.

So preoccupied was the Handmaiden and her knight that they didn't she the armed men step out of a room to the side and leap at them.

Last edited:

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Sep 29, 2013
New Zealand
That's all I need.:)
Is Dieter's sword actually silver, accounting for the shine? And who would jump a well-respected pair in Drakenhof? Very intriguing.

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
We'll find out next time on

TALES OF THE COURT

This is all to lead into the next plot arc as the whole competition thing was only ever suppose to be for main character intros :)

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Sep 29, 2013
New Zealand
I can't wait. And a competition to introduce the main characters? Excellent idea. Entertaining reading, from the view of a character with some neat quirks, and setting up for the rest of the story.

The Dread King

Staff member
True Blood
Jan 28, 2012
MOAR! Give us moar of this fantastic tale, GoW! (And update Ordo Draconis! It's been languishing since its first post...I feel a bit sorry for it, tbh :( ).

Reactions: Get of W'soran

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
Part 10...Cont'd

The two vampires were professionals and with long knives in hand they struck suddenly.

The first moved to bury a dagger in Lisette's ribs, she twisted at the last moment and grabbed the attacker's wrist before yanking him back with enough strength to tear her shoulder out of it's socket. The second was more careful as he attacked Karek's blind side, a weakness advertised by his eye-patch over his left ruined eye, the blade hit home into the knight's armpit.

Blood streamed down his left hand side causing Karek to roar in pain as he spun around and drove his fist into the attacker's face, once then again and again. By the time he was finished the vampire didn't have a head, just blood, shattered skull fragments and brain matter.

Karek tore the dagger out of his side and turned to see Lisette removing her attacker's dagger from his own throat, the handmaiden completely unmarred from the attack.

"Come." his mistress commanded "We can't let them get away."

The two von Carsteins swiftly took off towards the catacombs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicoletto barely ducked another blow and instinctively managed to catch a side cut at the last minute on his slim blade, the Tilean let out a breath of relief that his rapier didn't bend or break under the force of the strike.

Despite the almost perfect nature of the block the Lahmian felt his arm weaken and he stumbled back, barely managing to get out of the way of Dieter's renewed attack.

"What the hells was that?" he thought to himself in horror, but his strength returned almost straight away.

Dieter paused for a moment looking equally as confused, Nicoletto took advantage of that hesitation to leap forward with a thrust, the Captain's blade rose and shone like silver before flashing down to counter his opponent's weapon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Lisette waved for Karek to pause and stood at the entrance of the third chamber in the catacombs, inside stood three figures two of which were those she had followed out of the main hall.

"That bitch Lisette is coming, we have to get out of here." one of those two said.

"We send Vincent and Lorkin to slow her and that beast of hers down but I doubt they'll stop her completely." the second of the duo added.

"And the spell...you enchanted the weapon without Dieter realising it?" the third man asked.

Lisette frowned, she recognised that voice...it was Egbert the eldest get of Oswald...was that old bastard behind this?

"Yes, yes. Once Nicoletto get's struck with it he's dead. Completely undetectable to any except a very skilled mage or a Lahmian."

"Good."
Egbert replied "Now we should deal with the other problem. Out you come Lisette, let's get this over and done with."

The handmaiden cursed in a rather unlady like fashion and stepped into the Chamber with her warrior close behind.

Egbert smiled. "Good." he said as he released a blast of necromantic magic from his left hand straight at the woman's chest. Lisette dived to the right as the two other two vampires charged but where intercepted by Karek who unsheathed his sword and knocked on aside before removing the head of the second.

Egbert smiled and lazily unsheathed his own sword. "I suppose if you want something done right."

Lisette hesitated, she might be able to take him...but she had to get back to the tournament, so save Nicoletto.

"Go." Karek said as he stepped in front of Lisette who hesitated for a moment before her get chuckled "I can handle these words, go save the ponce."

Nodding the woman took off as Karek engaged Egbert and his cronie.

Get of W'soran

CN's Lord of Masks
True Blood
Apr 23, 2008
Behind the Throne
Alfonso frowned as he watched the rapierist miss another perfectly good opening.

"There's something wrong with Nicoletto." The Estalian said to Simon "He's slow...and he's fighting like a novice who's only getting by on luck."

Simon nodded. "I agree...he's not half as balanced as he was during out practice exercises."

The two vampires shared a concerned look but couldn't determine what exactly was happening.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lisette sped down the hallway, leaping over the dust piles of the two dead vampires that she and Karek had taken care off earlier. The handmaiden had almost reached the hallway when she felt heat against her back, the vampiress turned just as the black flames struck her and send her reeling into a wall, collapsing to the floor.

The smell of burnt flesh filled the hallway.

Gasping in pain Lisette looked up at the Egbert and cursed herself.

She had hurried too much, been in to much of a rush and let her defenses down.

"Foolish."

Egbert was looking down at her, his blade slick with blood and covered in a few wounds of his own. The vampire snarled angrily.

"Your pet wasn't much of a challenge." he snarled. "I had fun gutting him!"

Lisette rose up, knife in hand, and lunged at Egbert but her injuries where severe and she was still dazed. The son of Oswald punched her with a swift jab in the face, knocking her back down.

"This is the end. You won't get in my master's way." he snarled raising his sword up for a killing blow which never came.

Lisette stared in shock at the sword tip that emerged from the man's chest which was wretched free as he collapsed.

Standing with sabre in hand was Damek, eldest son of Mannfred.

"So why did I just do that?" he asked the Lisette with a faint smile.

Lisette pushed herself to her feet and without speaking she turned and continued running towards the hall.

"You're welcome!" Damek called after her.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicoletto deflected Dieter's strike, the captain had tried for a thrust which lacked the power of the large weapon's great circular swings.

With a fierce grin Nicoletto took advantage of his opponents mistake and lunged in with a thrust of his own.

However Dieter moved perfectly aside to avoid the attack and Nicoletto realised he had fallen into a trap.

The greatsword's hilt was smashed straight into the Tilean's mouth, the blow was bad enough but something else happened. As soon as the weapon made contact with the Lahmian he felt all strength fail him and his legs give way.

Nicoletto heard a woman scream for everyone to stop but it was too late, Dieter's blade was already blurring through it's deadly arc, the Captain scored a light wound across the Tilean's chest with the tip of his blade.

Pain enveloped Nicoletto's world and he screamed.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu