• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
THE
CAPTAIN

On the Island of Sartosa, their lived a man by the name of Cipher, an uninteresting fellow by all accounts, a simple deckhand for one of the many Sartosian Pirates. He served diligently , though he had always planned to eventually abandon his captain in hopes of starting his own crew. One day, while the crew was off celebrating a recent victory in the Tavern, he simply left, under cover of night, never to be seen again. He left Sartosa behind him, having stolen an elven vessel dubbed "The Devils Hand" that was docked at the same port, having stirred its crewmen to mutiny against their captain, he made a name for himself on the open seas, stealing from cargo vessels traveling the Sothern Sea, and raiding small coastal towns. All that mattered to him was the thrill of battle, and the riches it brought, where it came from mattered little. As such, he'd often pick up mercenary work and odd jobs from who ever was willing to pay. During one such job, after joining a band of dwarven deserters hoping to strike it rich off of under-defended towns of the Border Princes, the Devils Hand was ambushed by a group of Vampires along the Bay of Wrecks. Caught unaware and heavily outnumbered, the Crew was defeated with little hassle. Cipher found himself tied up in the ships bilge, captured by the Bloodborn, and after days of consideration the Vampires deemed him worthy of their gift. He was offered a choice: Pledge an undying oath to the Bloodborn, to serve Micheal unconditionally, and be given the gift of Ascension, or die in the bilge, starving and alone. Cornered and without options, the captain accepted. He saw Undeath as just another treasure to be claimed, something that put him above the common rabble he sought to escape. In return for his servitude, he was granted free reign to continue adventuring in the name of the Bloodborn, as well as being given the services of a Necromancer. With this new found power, he was no longer satisfied with the petty treasures of men and elves, only the grandest of plunders from the most exotic of lands could sate his lust, and even then it was but a fleeting relief. For years he sailed the seas, and from encounters with the feral Lizardmen of the Dragon Isles, to pillaging across the Chaos Wastes, tales of the Dread Pirate Cipher spread across the taverns of the Old World like wildfire. It was of little surprise, then, that when Cipher began to hear tales of a city leveled by a comet unlike anything else known to man, made of magical stone capable of turning Iron to Gold, something stirred inside him, like a call to action, a thrill he hadn't felt since stealing from the tombs of Settra himself. With great haste, he gathered the crew from their shore leave, and the Bloodborn Buccaneers set sail for the city of the damned

Ala'Dien the Dreg

Ala'dien was a Political refugee from Araby, staunchly opposed to the iron rule of Sultan Jaffar, he fled to the city of Mordheim seeking a new life, free from the suffering back home. For awhile, he found just that, living a simple life as a shopkeep in the market square. After the comet hit, however, things changed. He began to hear whispers, voices on the wind, demanding he do as the say, accompanied by the sound of drums beating ever loud, ever closer. The towns people thought he'd gone mad, forcing him to live as an outcast once again. His condemnation only drove him further, the voices becoming ever stronger, never stopping, day in and day out, the voices spoke to him, the whispers became screams, the sounds chaos in the streets followed him always, never quite knowing if it was real or not. Something inside him broke, giving into the voices, retreating into the Catacombs beneath the city to avoid the harsh judgment of the people of Mordheim. He sustained himself on the dead, consuming the flesh of the fallen at the Voices command, leaving his lair only when he craved fresher meat, or when the voices demanded he end a life. It was on one such occasion where he came across Captain Cipher approaching the gates, his crew of Skeletal pirates in tow. The voices demanded that he kill the Captain, but something, perhaps a small sliver of humanity that survived the madness, wouldn't allow it. He approached the Captain with caution, offering to join his Warband in return for shelter from the denizens of mordheim. The captain showed the lowly dreg kindness, accepting him as a member of his crew, the only person to do so since the day the comet fell, Kindness had become an alien expression to Ala'din. This only angered the voices, and the drums began to drown out all else, a constant pounding in his ears for days on end..... then silence. Without warning, the voices halted, the whispers died and the drums stood silent, all replaced by the voice of his Captain, his master, his..... friend. He was still weak, a broken man, but at least for now, he could finally rest easy in friendly company.

Gobo the Gorkfisted

Gobos life was an... unfortunate one, to say the least. Gobo began his search for employment at an early age, having been abandoned by the tribe. He tried his hand at adventuring, only to find himself under-prepared for many dangers of the Ruins. So he became a mercenary, a career he kept for quite some years, and where he earned the nickname "Gobo The Gorkfisted" for his particularly straight forward and brutal methods, finally meeting his match against an Ogre Tyrant he'd been hired to assassinate. He'd barley escaped that job with his life, though he was irreparably crippled by the Ogre. Back on the streets again he turned to being a callboy, only to find that crippled Goblins aren't exactly in high demand in the lands of the Empire. So he joined up with a circus, only to find out not a day later that it was a front for a Chaos Cult. Not one to worship the dark gods, he fled to the Border Princes running up quite a debt, gambling what little money he had left on Squig races, loosing it all to a rigged game. This string of failures went on for years, never holding down a job for long. Discouraged by his long, long string of failures he turned to the lands of the Elves, hired by an elven trader as his body guard on board his ship, the Devils Hand. This went on for a few more years, the job was easy enough, simply standing at the Captains side, and the pay wasn't bad. The crew wasn't treated particularly well, and the captain was more concerned with coin than his crew, but anything was better than living on the streets. There'd been talk of mutiny among the crew for quite some time, the kind of thing Gobo was hired to prevent, but he let it slip, figuring it couldn't be worse than what he had now. So when a stranger boarded the ship while it was docked on Sartosa, it was little surprise that the crew revolted with little provocation, accepting the stranger as there new captain with a bit of convincing. The new guy was good enough, Gobo figured, at least he had the sense not to miss a payday. So he continued to serve, up till the captain took a job from some Dwarven Adventurers, something about the Border Princes. Gobo wanted no part of anything near the Princes, knowing the Debt collectors would still be after him, so he left right then and there, not a word said to the rest of the crew. He spent the next few years travling from tavern to tavern, living off the wealth he'd amassed from being a bodyguard, maybe accepting some simple jobs from time to time, nothing quite as intense as mercenary work, but it kept him fed. Eventually he stumbled across a fellow named Mortimer, said he was sent into town to recruit some men for Ciphers crew. Of course, Gobo accepted the job, figuring a few familiar faces couldn't do any harm. He found the captian.... different that he was before, more slender, paler and far more agile. His old Crewmen where nowhere to be found, all replaced with unliving corpses animated by unholy magics. Age had gotten to the Goblin, his thoughts muddled, so he though nothing of it, Gobo just followed along, not really giving much care who he worked for, as long as he got payed, and besides, working for a Vampire has its perks.

Ed the Pirate Monkey (Upcoming)

Mortimer the Necromancer (Upcoming)

Last edited:

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
I'm not that great with names, wasn't actually one I came up with though. Asked for suggestions in chat, that came up, I liked the sound of it so I figured why not. I imagine that's not his actual name, probably just a nickname his Employers gave him during his merc years that just kinda stuck.

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
I like it. One really good thing when it comes to pirates (and undead pirates are the best of all) is that the crew can come from precisely anywhere in the world and still have a valid reason for being together now. :)

Edit: And don't forget to give us a plog to follow when you begin working on the miniatures!

Last edited:

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
Alright, sadly wasn't able to get the other two back stories up in time, but it shouldn't matter too much (Basically, Ed is just a monkey who Cipher trained to do basic combat things, and the only important thing about Mortimer for this bit is that he's a wizard, and is capable of hitting things with his wyrdstone staff.).

Upon setting up camp, the Buccaneers where approached by a beady-eyed kid, dressed in little but rags, bearing news of treasure in the near by marketplace. Catching Cipher in a good mood, and bearing good news, the boy was spared, and the Buccaneers headed out. They arrived at a ruined section of the market square, burnt down buildings arranged around a central fountain-like structure. Gobo managed to spot a shard of wyrdstone laying in the fountain, a barrel of gunpowder in a near by building and a nearly-intact shop across the ruins. Before they could reach it, they noticed shadows moving in the distance, the faint sound of chattering on the winds. Ala'Dien had barley herded all the zombies into the marketplace before a band of skaven had emerged from the ruins, their captain locking eyes with Cipher for a moment, before returning his gaze to the wyrdstone.
The ensuing battle was a fickle dance, both sides holding a single shop, both rarely gaining much ground on the other, only to be pushed back by the other. Shots where fired across the ruins, rock and arrow alike all missing their mark. The stalemate went on for hours on end **, neither side gaining ground, till finally Mortimer managed to break through the no-mans-land, shielded by a group of Swabbies***, and capture the fountain. Admitting defeat, and realizing that their was little point in continuing this struggle, the Skaven backed off into the ruins, though they could still be heard scuttling in the shadows, collecting the meager scraps.
While scrounging the ruins, the Buccaneers came across the ruins of Ala'Diens old shop, struck by a chunk of the comet and covered in wyrdstone. Gobo and Ed where sent to collect that shards, while Ala'Dien, eager to please his new master, lead the Captain to the staircase, removed one of the candles from its holder on the wall and procured a stone from underneath it. "Sssstone... isss magic. Wasss... gift. Old friendssss give to me. Isss Lucky, good for master, yessss?"* He managed to muster, having trouble finding the words. "Yes, Ala'Dien, very good. We'll have Mortimer take a look at it, see just what this stone is. And for you, we'll arrange an extra keg of Bugmans to be sent to your tent". Ala'Dien couldn't quite find the words, but something in his shattered mind clicked together. He understood little, but in that moment the voices stopped, just for a moment, and he could see just a little clearer. After clearing the shop, Cipher noticed the Skaven Captain had found a scroll, something he quickly recognized as one of the Master Mordheim Maps. The captain simply nodded towards Ala'Dien and Gobo, gesturing towards the Skaven. Ala'Dien readied his net, and Gobo grabbed a small explosive, not enough to do any damage, but enough to serve as a distraction, from his bag. He threw it into a nearby shop, and as expected the Skaven went to investigate, Ala'Dien leaped out from behind him while his back was turned. The rat went down with little struggle, and Ed dragged him back to camp while the others hauled the Wyrdstone.
Thrust into the tent, the Skaven was tied to a chair in front of the captain, his arms left free. "Pour the man a drink, the good stuff, not that cheap swill we give Ed" Cipher said, gesturing towards Gobo, then turning towards the captain "I do apologize for the... less than kind welcome, its just a precaution, you understand. Cant have you running away, and I doubt you would have accepted a formal invitation. Yet, just because fate pits us against each other needn't mean we cant be civil". "Cut the formalities, manthing, and your death will be swift." The skaven said, eyeing the mug before him with an odd fascination. ""Straight down to business then, I like that. My men tell me you've come across something I want, something I'm willing to bet would go for alot of gold... I'm afraid I cant let that be, you understand, but I'm consider myself a gentleman, so I'm not going to kill you and rip it from your cold, dead paws. 60 gold I'll give you for it.". "Why should I not kill you where you stand, manthing" the Skaven bellowed, still eyeing the mug quite intensely, trying to determine its contents. "I don't think you understand just what position you're in.... you're alive because I want you to be. And the second I'm forced to stop the gentlemanly facade.... well...." Cipher said, gesturing toward Gobo and Ala'Dien, who where standing at the entrance to the tent, their ready weapons drawn, "Now then, this stone here, quite a peculiar thing. A bit of a.... good luck charm, hand of fate just seems to favor what ever bastard's holding it. Give me the map, and its yours.". "A petty bauble for such a treasure? Ssssssskaven thinks the manthing is trying to cheat him" the rat replied, sticking his finger in the mug and examining it. "60 gold, the stone, and a shipment of 5 gold a week, and you leave with your life." Cipher sighed. "Sssskaven issss sssstill unsssure.... that monkey over there, give me his armor, and itsssss yourss.", the skaven bargined, tilting the mug side to side, watching it carefully. Cipher had already decided that the map would be his at any cost, and he was unwilling to give up his prize, even if it was a losing deal. "Gobo, strip the monkey." Cipher replied "And Mortimer, gather the rest of the payment, then show this fine.... gentleman....out. And dispose of his mug, bastard's trying to poison us".

This is actually two battles combined into one, but both where against the same opponent (My brother, who plays Skaven), on the same table, with the same scenario, with basically the same situation (Except the first game he won, second one I did. I just wrote it in as a victory for me, because the story works better that way.)

*This is before Alad'ien has even had the voices fully stop, that'll slowly be worked out
**For stories sake, I'm assuming one game turn= 1 hour, so this went on for about 16 hours, if both games are counted
***Just what I call Zombies, because pirates

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
Ah, so you managed to capture a skaven in one of your games? Which one of them did you get?

I learned my lesson on showing kindness the hard way... I had captured a warrior priest and decided to let him go for a relatively small sum. Then he immediately levelled up, learned the Soulfire spell, came back and blew up all of my ghouls.

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
Didn't actually capture him (Yet), though I did have the captain in a net at the end of the last game and needed a way to rationalize the trade I made with the skaven afterwards, and since I assume they probably wouldn't just accept an invitation to negotiate a trade, I figured I'd say we brought the Captain back for a "chat", and besides, where is the guy trapped in a net going to go?

Count Vashra

Lord of Shadows
True Blood
Sep 29, 2013
New Zealand
Ah, so you managed to capture a skaven in one of your games? Which one of them did you get?

I learned my lesson on showing kindness the hard way... I had captured a warrior priest and decided to let him go for a relatively small sum. Then he immediately levelled up, learned the Soulfire spell, came back and blew up all of my ghouls.

Which is why there should be no quarter! :devil2:

Reactions: TMS

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
The beady-eyed boy from earlier, the one who'd informed the Buccaneers of the marketplace treasure, was skulking around the outskirts of the Great Library of Mordheim when he noticed Ed dragging a pale skaven with a burn on its left eye into camp. He followed Ed back to camp and Without a word, he quickly walked up to the captains tent, pinned an old Town Crier article from before the Comet to the door, and ran off into the distance, the Buccaneers far too involved in the negotiation to notice he'd even been their at all until long after he was gone.
Mordheim times greyscale.png
Confused, but understanding that this would be helpful in identifying their foes, Cipher sent Ala'Din and Gobo out into the ruins to offer the child payment, but he was nowhere to be found. They searched for hours, but it was as if he didn't even exist. He left no trail out of the camp, no signs whatsoever, aside from the flier, that he'd been their.

Just an interesting thing I've cooked up as a way to introduce characters backstory that the Captain has no reason to know, for stuff like rival warband leaders who'll be recurring characters (Assuming they don't die in the campaign, or I for some reason never fight them again) and other notable people.

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
First of two battle reports, second one should involve much less. It was just me VS the Elves, and ti was a quick 20 minute game before the store closed that was cut short, so nothing as big as this 4 way battle.

It was merely a week after their encounter with the Skaven in the marketplace when the child, who Cipher labeled "The Shade" after his ability to fade out of sight at a moments notice, came by the camp again. He left only a map, tattered and beaten, at the Captains desk, with an X over a section of the city near the Middle Bridge, with the word "Treasure" hastily scrawled across the top, and, oddly enough, markings at the location of their battle with the Skaven. Just as last time, no one saw him come or go, leaving no footprints in or out of the camp, and no locals reported seeing the child. He was identifiable only by his hand writing, identical to the flier he'd handed Cipher the day they arrived announcing treasure in the marketplace. The child had been nothing but helpful in the past, so Cipher simply followed the map, no questions asked. Arriving at the location marked on the map, their was little to be seen. The landscape was dotted with buildings, spaced apart and divided into sections via canals. 3 Armies stood in the streets, the Buccaneers, a band of Ogres, a Bretonian group and the Skaven lead by the so called "Fiend of Ostermark". The Buccaneers found themselves circumstantial allies with the Bretonians, both facing a notably bigger threat than each other, a shaky alliance was formed, considering it the best option to put aside their mutual hatred to focus on the bigger issue. The battle had barley begun, neither side having lost a single man, when a group of Elves jumped from the nearby rooftops, having presumably heard of the treasures to be found in the square. Cipher was quick to bargain for a potential advantage, offering a glimpse at the Master Map in return for his protection. Legolas*, the elf sent on behalf their Captain, agreed to the deal, the Elves where allowed access to the map and free passage in return for protecting Cipher, and when possible allowing him the killing blow. Seemingly having followed the elves, a band of Black Orcs appeared in the forests behind the Skaven, ignoring the rats and Ogres entirely. The ensuing battle was an.... interesting affair. For some time, little happened, both sides too far from each other to do any damage, until finally the Orcs fell withing range of a group of Bretonian archers, who brought down their Ogre Body Guard, while Ala'Dien loosed an arrow from his position high above the field of battle in a wizards tower, the shot finding its mark with striking accuracy, incapacitating a Black Ork. Seeing their Ogre fall had weakened the orcs, seeing one of their own was simply the final straw in their weakened confidence. The rest fled, running off into the labyrinthine streets of the Damned City unpursued. Ignorant of the orcs defeat, the Ogre Captain attempted to ford a Canal, hoping to search one of the buildings on the opposite end for treasure. He quickly succumbed to the rushing waters, a single tentacle lashing out from the depths and dragging the poor bastard under. With their captain gone, the rest resorted to petty infighting, figuring out just who would lead them for the remainder of the battle, only to flee after deciding on a temporary general. Seeing the far mightier Ogres, who'd been the only thing between the Skaven and a hail of arrows, coupled with being a naturally cowardly race, the Skaven Nightrunners jumped into the river, hoping to escape forces that now far out numbered them. They too where far too weak to handle the rapids, both being carried down the river for miles before washing up on the shore miles from the Battlefield. Pinned down and without options, the Fiend of Ostermark fled from battle, figuring that he gained little from this situation, so it was useless to him. With their opponents defeated, the forces of Bretonia, Undead and Elves all went to work scouring the ruins, all cautiously stealing glances at each other, their weapons at the ready for the betrayal they thought inevitable. Yet fate seemed to smile on them today, for nothing broke out between the warbands, despite all the odds being against it. While leaving the wizards tower, Ala'Dien noticed something move out of the corner of his eye. Intrigued, he walked towards it, to find the Ogre Body guard still laying where he'd been shot, left to die by the orcs. "Issss....friend? We fixesssss yousss, We payssss you good, youssss help us? We'sss like freindsssss" he managed to stutter out before the voices drowned out his own thoughts. Perhaps out of pity for the clearly suffering man before him, or unable to manage his wounds himself, the ogre accepted "I dont work for free, you know" the Ogre replied, weighing his options, deciding if it was worth it to go back to the orcs. "Wessss give yousss.... 35 g...gu.... guld...ggold? Messs pay it messself, ussses my moneyssss, new freindsssss worths it. Masssster not be happy paying new freindsssss, no. Hesss freindy though, once he know you. Meessss sorry for ssssshot you, wasss had to do, Masssster sssay you bad. But yousss not bad, massster wasss wrong." Ala'Dien mustered in a happy tone, a look of enthusiasm on his face at the prospect of a new companion. "Names... Lurch..." The Ogre managed to spit out, then simply nodded, the pain becoming unbearable, and Ala'Dien began his work. He couldn't recall much, but he knew some basic medical procedures from his time in Araby fixing up the soldiers, at least enough get him on his feet again long enough to get him to Mortimer. Meanwhile, Cipher encountered a near-dying man slouched over a treasure chest, the familiar faint green glow of wyrdstone emanating from within. The man look toward Cipher, and recognizing him as a Vampire,between gasps for air, he whispered "No... please....". Cipher simply looked at the man for a moment, staring him up and down, then pushed him out of the way with the butt of his sword to get to the chest. He grabbed the Wyrdstone from inside, and turned to leave. Just as he was at the door, he looked back at the man, still conscious, though losing blood fast. He reached into the satchel laying at his side, and retrieved a kit with basic medical supplies. He tossed the pack back to him, walked out the door and without looking back said simply "Make something of it, the others wont be so kind".

After returning to camp, Cipher rewarded Ala'Dien an extra keg of ale for landing the shot that made the Orcs flee, a prize that he shared with Lurch, who'd tried to refuse several times, but Ala'Dien would not back down. Later in the day, after the Bloodborn had returned from their battle, while the other Dregs where still hauling Wyrdstone found with their Master Map (The Elves simply requested that their favor be kept for later), the man who'd been near death entered Ciphers tent. The captain had been dealing with managing his new resources, updating stockpiles and arranging the purchase of new equipment from one of Ala'Diens old acquaintances. He looked up from the desk, and was taken aback. Assuming the man was their to kill him, he readied his sword, but before he could strike the man said "Relax. I fixed myself up after we met, survived, but just barley. I sat their for quite some time, leaning up against that battered old chest and thinking. For a moment, I thought I was going to bleed out in that tower, but I didn't. And I realized, I've got nowhere to go. The skaven, that man with the burnt eye, he did this to me. I as out finding supplies with my sons to keep my family fed, but he found me and...." he trailed off "I'm sure you can figure it out..... I had nowhere to go after that, my wife wasn't here with us when the comet fell, she stayed at the house in Middenheim when we left, but I couldn't make my way back their by foot, especially not in this state. I had a bit of training following trails, and figured I owed you one. I used to be a warlock, bit rusty now, but I hoped you'd take me in..? I know, its not really what your type does, but, you could have killed me back there, and you didn't. I thought about that, too, leaning on that chest. I thought about how you could have simply fed me to the zombies, or brought me back as one of them, or any number of horrible fates I could have met, but I didn't, and I thought about how you told me to make something of it. So I am, right now". The Captain considered for a moment, but accepted, with a bit of hesitance, figuring a Warlock would be a useful thing to have. "And your name, son?" "Pascal, at least that's the name I found on the inn registrar after the comet hit. I'd was here with my sons for the return of Sigmar, hoping to usher in the new era with peace, but I guess the gods had other plans. A shard of that greenstone, wyrdstone is it?, landed at my feet, and I fashioned it into a necklace." He said, holding up a golden chain with a wyrdstone pendant in the center" The Wyrdstone seemed to muddle my mind a bit, and I couldn't quite recall my own name, but it made Magic abit easier to tap into. So I took one from the Registrar"

*All the elves are named after elves from Lord of the Rings, so names like these are going to happen a lot, atleast when I manage to actually catch the names the others have given to their people.

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
Due to weather, I'm not going to be able to get to the FLGS today, meaning no game to write about, so I figured I'd use the gap to do the second game from last week

Barley hours had passed since Pascal turned up when rumors began to spread of a large collection of Wyrdstone near Quayside. Eager to add to their treasury, and still riding high of their latest Victory, the Bloodborn pursued the rumors with the up most haste. But they arrived too late, only to find an Elven group, the warband from earlier, had already found the Wyrdstone and had begun packing it into a covered Wagon to bring it back to their camp. Noticing the distinct smell of rotting flesh and alcohol approaching from miles away, the Warriors created a make-shift defensive line while the others continued packing with increased haste. It wasn't long before began arrows flying from either side as the Buccaneers advanced toward their defenders, slowly inching closer to the Wagon. For hours both sides exchanged blows, the Elves not landing a single killing blow on anything more than a Swabbie, with the smell of rum filling the air, and the faint sound Sea Shanties could be heard on the winds for miles around. As the Buccaneers drew near, and most of the Elves lay incapacitated on the floor, Pascal dominated the mind of an Elven warrior, weakening his will, causing him to flee from battle. With that, all but two of the Elves had been struck down or fled, yet just as Cipher loosed the arrow that struck their Captain down, the Wagon began to move away. The Bloodborn attempted pursuit, but the Wagon quickly escaped from sight into the labyrinthine streets of Mordheim, the remaining elf following in its wake. Still, in their rush to escape, the Elves left behind several crates, most of which where completely barren, though one contained small chunks of precious Wyrdstone, along with basic weaponry. Disheartened, the Buccaneers returned to camp nearly empty handed, though with no loses to speak of.

Not much actually happened, now that I think about it (Aside from lots of shooting.). It was still a fun game though, and only lasted about 20 minutes, cut short, just as I was about to cross the line, so we'd have time to do post-game before the shop had to close up. Nothing much happened post game either, aside from alot of leveling up and a ruined cart (Which may or may not have even happened his game, as I cant recall if it showed up during the big game or during this one.)

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
Sorry about the long period of silence, there was a game last week, I started writing up the fluff for it but then never actually got around to finishing it till today. There WILL likely be a game today, though I may not necessarily get to writing it today, there will be a new thing some time soon

For awhile, the camp stood silent. Days passed without event, not even a petty barfight to end the silence. It was as if, for but a few days, the ruins Mordheim remained undisturbed. The silence was broken when Gobo, on his way back from a gambling trip at the Cutthroats Den, brought news of the Fiend of Ostermark searching the ruins just outside the Merchants quarter, heading eastwards. Eager to wet their blades, and the burning desire to see the Fiend die still burning in Ciphers heart, the Buccaneers set up an ambush along their path, hoping to steal what ever resources they had acquired.
As they saw Skaven approach, Lurch and Pascal hid behind the decrepit walls of a ruined old Church, preparing to ambush the skaven. On the other side of the church stood Ed, escorted by a group of Zombies, wielding a blade nearly as large as he was. The others stood in near by ruins in order to provide ranged support. The plan was to have Ed distract the Fiend as Lurch and Pascal delt with the Rat Ogre who served as his body guard.
As soon as the Fiend came into sight, Ed jumped from the roof of the Church, howling as descended upon his prey. As he fell, he attempted to strike the Fiend, only for his unwieldy blade to miss its target completely. Caught off guard by the monkey, the Fiend could do little to react, his pathetic swipe at him easily dodged. The zombies descended on the Fiend, and as he was distracted by the shambling corpses that now surrounded him, Ed manged to land a blow against his knee caps, leaving him to lay on the cobblestone road, unable to continue fighting.
On que, Lurch jumped forth from his position behind the church, charging the Ratogre with unbridled fury. Cold steel met blades of warped bone as the two Ogres exchanged blows, a painful back-and-forth between the two began to form, for every strike Lurch landed on the beast, the rat retaliated in kind. After hours of fighting, both stood worn out and near death when the Rat Ogre drove his blade across Lurchs eye, the cold bone piercing his flesh, leaving a gaping wound down the left side of his face. He doubled over in pain, holding his face in his hands, unable to do anything to stop the monstrosity from ending his life then and there. The rat raised his blade above his head, savoring his moment of victory, yet just as he was about to strike, a voice began to speak in the distance. "Curro malus animalis" Pascal read from his tome, and the Rat Ogre turned to look. It stood petrified as a bolt of light appeared from Pascals outstretched arms, and like an arrow the light pierced the Rats hide, overwhelming it with the primal sensation of fear. Overcome by this spell, something within the Rats mind broke, forcing it to scurry off into the distance, leaving Pascal to tend to Lurchs wounds.
While Lurch and Pascal where occupied by the Rat ogre, a hoard of Clanrats managed to scuttle by the Bloodborn, though the where not unopposed, yet the hail of arrows from the nearby ruins did little to stop them despite the few left wounded by the arrows. As the Clanrats escaped, the remaining few Skaven backed off, running off through the narrow streets, presumably to regroup with the Clanrats elsewhere. Their ambush thwarted, the Bloodborn where not at a total loss, managing to pick clean what little wyrdstone was left in the ruins, as well as Gobo finding a nice satchel of coins abandoned on the street.

Exhausted from the battle, Cipher retreated to his tent, hoping to find some solace in his slumber.
As he drifted off from this world, Cipher found himself standing on a narrow cobble stone street, met on either side by towering buildings, adorned . In the distance he saw a Plaza, paper lanterns adorned with the twin-tailed comet of Sigmar lined the walls of nearby buildings, and people gathered around a golden statue of a man Cipher could not identify. The people bowed and prayed before it, leaving offerings of flowers and what little money they had at its feet. Among the group was a Child who looked much like the Shade, leaving at the statues feet a small figurine carved of wood, odd ruins etched into its surface. As Cipher walked forward, he noticed a Green light in the sky, approaching the scene quickly. The group noticed too, and they all sat to look at it, quite whispers spread through out the group, as they all eagerly awaited the lights arrival. Then, a loud crashing sound in a flash of light, and the scene changed. He stood on the same street, standing right at the entrance to the plaza. The golden statue remained, its exquisite form now lay shattered and dirty, and at its feet lay the child. He was alive, thought barley, his breathing labored and his body weakened. As the child was about to give his final breath, a cloaked figure appeared from the ruins, walking to the child with no sense of urgency. As he stood above the child, he simply took the childs tiny hand in his, pulling him up and leading him off into the streets. Cipher tried to follow them, but again as he stepped forward the scene changed once more. He stood in the same plaza, the sky was darkened and nothing remained of the statue but its feet, the rest stolen by opportunistic looters. The cobble streets where cracked, exposing the dirt underneath, and in the distance, beyond the city walls, Cipher saw pillars of smoke approaching the city walls, and the sound of hooves beating against the ground.
When Cipher awoke, he found the Shade standing at the foot of his bed. The child was.....different, his eyes looked as though a torch burned within, and when he spoke it sounded as though two spoke at once, one in a happy child-like tone, the other the booming, angered voice of a battle-hardened warrior. "Father wishes to speak to you soon. Says the family needs you." he said, wearing an expression of childhood glee on his face. As he lept from his bed to deal with the intruder, Cipher drove his blade into the boys heart, yet it simply passed through him, the cold iron piercing the tent walls behind him. The child simply cocked his head, smiled, and waved before he seemed to fade out of existence, simply disappearing into the void without a trace.

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
Tonight game was a bit odd. It was intended to be a very big, important game, but due to time it was cut short and we decided that instead of an anti-climactic ending, we'd just start it over next week. Normally, I'd simply write this up as a normal game, but the scenario is kind of something that I cant see ever happening twice, so I suppose this was just a "Non-canon" game, even though I still got xp and a few new (Very, very cool) things from this. Though, now that I know its going to happen, I suppose I'll just write up a little bit of non-combat fluff to serve as a reason for having those shiny new toys, as well as a set up for it.

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
I did have a whole set up here, but at the last minute there was a scenario change. Originally we where going to fight the Shadowlord, but we decided otherwise since it took far too long last time, and didn't even get finished.

Cipher found himself awoken by the sound of rustling in his tent. He saw the Shade out of the corner of his eye, and still on edge from his last encounter, he lept from his bed only to find his tent devoid of life. Knowing it was a pointless endeavor to search, he simply returned to his slumber, only to find that at the foot of bed lay a suit of Ilthilmar armor, a bottle of Black Lotus, and an note. The paper was beaten and battered, as though it'd sat to decay for years, yet the wax seal, bearing the insignia of Clan Valdros, appeared to be new and undamaged.
Mordheim note.jpg
On the opposite side of the note was a map, a large marking over a section of the city, presumably showing where the Skaven had been seen.

Eager for a chance at riches, and having grown tired of staying in the same place far to long, he accepted the note with little hesitation. But the very end of the note, the mere though of it angered him, he could not let this stand. The Skaven where all blithering idiots, as ingenious as they claimed to be, their bomb would be a pathetic thing. At best it would destroy no more than a city block. There would be no child's play here, Cipher decided that if they where going to build a bomb, they would build it right, burn the whole damned city to the ground if it could be done, and he would make sure of it himself. At the break of dawn, the Buccaneers set out.
They arrived to see the Skaven walled up inside an impromptu fortress, heavily armored rats lined up across the walls. There was a loud thumping accompanied by the sound of gears grinding against one another coming from within the fortress,though the Buccaneers couldn't see what was inside. Putting it off as simply being the bomb, they paid no attention to it. Arrows where exchanged for some time between the Buccaneers and the Skaven, the Buccaneers drawing closer, before several loud bands, then a crash, where heard with in the fort. The skaven lept from their position on the walls, jumping down into the heart of the fortress. As they jumped, several loud rattling noises echoed through the streets, and the smell of black-powder filled the air. Confused, though now unopposed, the Buccaneers reached the walls with no time wasted. The dregs quickly scaled the walls while Cipher lead the zombies around to the gate. As they climbed atop the wall, they saw in the center a towering Rat Ogre clad in a metal suit, rattling guns attached to is arms. Just past the broken gates stood a group of Ogres, mercilessly crushing the puny rats that attempted to oppose them. In the corner stood an Engineer, poking and prodding at a chunk of Wyrdstone large than itself, fiddling with a large metal panel located in its center. Gobo quickly fired off some arrows at the Engineer. He simply looked at the arrow curiously for a second, absentmindedly ordered his assistant to fire back, then simply went back to work, quickening his pace. Ala'Dien found himself on the receiving end of the Assistants arrow, doubling over in pain. Gobo went to help him, though it quickly became apparent that the bomb had been completed, and as pathetic as it was, it was still a threat. The buccaneers quickly pulled out of the area, though in the confusion Ala'Dien was left behind.

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
Nice touch with the letter. :)

And you were going to fight the shadowlord? Did you have rules for it? Sounds like a pretty big thing to do. :scared:

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
Nice touch with the letter. :)

And you were going to fight the shadowlord? Did you have rules for it? Sounds like a pretty big thing to do. :scared:
Thanks

Yeah, the gm of sorts had a whole big scenario planned out for all 5 warbands fighting the shadowlord, where we had to fight our way through a small fortress thing (Defended by everyone who'd ever been turned into a chaos spawn) to the top of a tower, where'd fight him. But, since when we tried it out last week, it took us well over an hour past closing time and we didn't even finish, so we ended up going for multiple 3 way battles (Kinda 3 way, Skaven where NPCs).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu