• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
So, its (almost) october, what better time to catch up on painting my undead hordes? I figured, since they're both undead and will be in the same army anyway, I'd lump my TK and VC together in one painting log.

First up, a shot of some skeletons I painted forever ago with a Wight King that isnt mine
Skeletons + King Front.JPG Skeletons + King Side 1.JPG Skeletons + King Back.JPG

Attachments

• Skeletons + King Front.JPG
    Skeletons + King Front.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
Still working on the backlog of models painted/made before the blog, the Dune Reaper from the Forsaken City.

DSCN5794.JPG
DSCN5796.JPG
DSCN5798.JPG
DSCN5802.JPG

And, a small teaser on something I actually AM currently working on.
Skeleton Ghost Teaser (1).JPG Skeleton Ghost Teaser (2).JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5804.JPG
    DSCN5804.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Macarian

Vampire Insomniac
Jan 19, 2014
Netherlands
Hey, I don't know but I can only see the picture you attached to your first post (the skeletons with the wight king). The pictures in your posts themselves come up as broken for me. I always use the attach function of the forum, seems to work better.

What I can see looks pretty neat though :D

Nice army name btw :)

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
Not an update, but does anyone know where to get some nice, warhammer-scale pumpkins? I want to do a special Halloween figure, since the army lends itself well to that kind of thing, and I'll need a pumpkin to make it really work right.

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
Sorry for the delay, I ran out of primer earlier than I thought I would, and have to wait till payday to get a new can, so I took the opportunity to work on some Skaven I'm painting for my brother (I'll post some pictures of them if you want, so far its only 11 clanrats done). Expect more undead soon, but for the time being here's a minor update.

Two custom undead spell/thing markers, one for each army

Curse of Ages (Or is it years?), made from old bits of sprue, greenstuff, and extra skulls.
DSCN5896.JPG

Entombed beneath the sands marker. Just a note, Agrellan Earth works perfectly for anything emerging from sand, simply glob the paint pretty heavily around where the thing is emerging from.
DSCN5900.JPG
DSCN5900.JPG
DSCN5911.JPG

And a look at the headless horseman, because paint logs are supposed to include work in progress stuff as well, right?
DSCN5914.JPG
So far he's just a black knight with the shoulder pad filed down. He'll be mounted on a standard black knight skeletal horse, his other hand holding the one sword that comes with the spure. I'll add some greenstuff to the shield arm to make it look like he's holding the reins, and his head will be, in traditional Halloween style, a jack-o-lantern.

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
Finally starting to get the ball rolling again, I've got an medium sized on-going project in the form of a squad of Necropolis Knights.

The first model, Apophis (Named after the Egyptian snake god of chaos), primed and ready for painting.
DSCN5917.JPG
I love the Necropolis Knights model, it really looks the part of a terrifying animated statue.

The knights sheild, before the Shade dried. Also serves as a first look at the Forsaken Army colors. The edge detials are done in Runefang steel, the center details in some shade of gold I forgot the name of (The orangish one), and the rest done in a 1:1 mix of Khorne Red and Rhinox Hide
DSCN5918.JPG

The sheild after drying, other side still needs to be shaded. It will be glued to the knights back after the entire serpent/rider is painted
DSCN5922.JPG

And the Necroserpent itself after the base coats in Khorne Red and Balthazzar gold. Going for the look of a statue you'd find outside the palace of a grand king, as such it'll be mostly gold and silver (Gold for the body and tail, Runefang steel spine details, Auric Armor Gold for the body details like the little carvings on its back.)
DSCN5925.JPG

Alastor

Black Knight
Aug 24, 2011
Everything is a bit yellow in the pics but that shield looks awesome. Very nice, rich gold on the scarab.

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
The model went faster than I expected, its pretty much done. Only thing left to do is some minor touch ups, a sepia shade, Agrax over the red parts, and some effects paints.

DSCN5933.JPG DSCN5934.JPG DSCN5935.JPG DSCN5937.JPG DSCN5938.JPG
Various shades of gold applied DSCN5940.JPG DSCN5941.JPG DSCN5942.JPG
Rider done:
DSCN5950.JPG

Around the feet and neck you can see some glue managed to escape my grasp before priming, I hope to cover that up with some rust (Since the riders feet are there, you'd assume the metal would receive some minor ware and tear from that) and blood (From stabbed enemies, of course. He stabbed them with his trumpet, if you where wondering)
DSCN5967.JPG DSCN5969.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5930.JPG
    DSCN5930.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN5943.JPG
    DSCN5943.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN5944.JPG
    DSCN5944.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN5947.JPG
    DSCN5947.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN5951.JPG
    DSCN5951.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN5954.JPG
    DSCN5954.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN5959.JPG
    DSCN5959.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN5963.JPG
    DSCN5963.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN5965.JPG
    DSCN5965.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN5975.JPG
    DSCN5975.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 0

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Sep 16, 2010
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Looking good so far mate, I would say though as a quick tip if you mix a light silver with that gold in a 30/70 silver to gold ratio (LIGHT silver like the old mithril) and was in agrax you will get much better results and highlight so much detail with next to no extra work or difficulty. :)

Alastor

Black Knight
Aug 24, 2011
Looking good so far mate, I would say though as a quick tip if you mix a light silver with that gold in a 30/70 silver to gold ratio (LIGHT silver like the old mithril) and was in agrax you will get much better results and highlight so much detail with next to no extra work or difficulty. :)

I strongly recommend the above, it's a very quick way to achieve really good results.

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
Which gold, I've got three different types. Balthazzar, the darker one, Auric, the brighter one and one whos name escapes me on the trumpet, or all 3? And would Runefang steel work for the light silver color?

lord marcus

Vampire Count
True Blood
Mar 2, 2008
Florida
I like the necroserpent. I painted my first of 3 (Still have to work on them...lol) with somewhere around 8 different metallics and shading.

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
The sepia wash I've given it since the last pictures wasn't visibly noticeable on anything but the rider, so no pictures. I've given the whole thing an Agrax shade, now I just need to wait for it to dry. I can tell this will look much better.

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Nice plog you got here. I meant to comment on your spell markers a while ago, but must have forgotten. They look good, I've used the Agrellan Earth trick to create stuff emerging from the ground myself, only on larger stuff though. Seeing this I realise how good it is for smaller stuff aswell, so I'm gonna have to try it some more.

As for the gold I can only echo what DDM said. Mixing in some bright silver to the last highlight of gold can make wonders. If you want to take it one step further you could try mixing in some purple (Xerus Purple I think a good one is called) to the Agrax Earthshade and painting it into the recesses after the standard wash has dried. Being the complementary colour of yellow it helps to bring out a richness in the gold.

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
And the first knight is finished!
Finished (1).JPG
Finished (2).JPG Finished (3).JPG

Finished (5).JPG Finished (6).JPG Finished (12).JPG Finished (15).JPG Finished (17).JPG Finished (18).JPG Finished (19).JPG Finished (20).JPG

Next up I'll clean excess glue from the standard bearer and prime him up. The Champion will likely have different paint job from the rest,likely with the army colors on the serpent, to further distinguish him as an elite warrior.

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
From here on out the plog is going to expand to include the rest of the main Bloodverse armies. I'd edit the title to reflect that, but apparently Carpe Noctem doesnt want me to do that. I'd say it sill belongs in The Dead Shall Walk, considering 2/3 of the current armies are explicitly undead, and the other one is very undead-affiliated.
So, that said, heres a custom Nurgle Chaos Lord built from standard warrior bits, some weapons from the Jaugernaught, and a head from a chaos chariot
DSCN6030.JPG DSCN6031.JPG DSCN6032.JPG DSCN6033.JPG

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
Nice kitbash.

It's no problem to have a more general plog in The Dead Shall Walk section, but a good pointer would be to keep the majority of the contents VC orientated. Many others have done this before. As far as I know you should be able to edit the title of your thread, but if you keep having trouble with it just tell me what you want the new name to be and I'll fix it for you.

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
I'll keep the name as it is for now, since the Chaos army so far consists of a single box of warriors and they probably wont take up much space. There hasn't been much VC stuff simply because I've run out of black primer, and its been a tight couple weeks so I havent been able to get out and get another can. However, I do have a few Ghouls primed, and can likely get those done and posted soonish.

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
So, almost a month after the VC paint long starts, some actual VC stuff. Sorry about that.
I know I said I'd do some ghouls, however after looking at them I realized why I havent painted my ghouls: I cant fething paint these things. Its impossible, atleast with the colors I have. I dont do good with flesh, and those sure have a ton of it.

And, without further ado, I introduce the hall of valor. Its where I'll display all finished lords and heros, and for the time being it happens to be a cardboard box with the words "Hall of valor" hastily written on. Horray for literally 0 budget, I suppose.

Here's the first Necromancer, before shading. Its also my first attempt at object source lighting, done without an airbrush (Again, 0 money). I wanted to display him in the middle of a spell, the raw dark energy emanating from his eyes and mouth, and pouring into the eyes of the skulls around him. I think it looked nice, the mouth will have some oxide applied around it.

DSCN6042.JPG DSCN6043.JPG DSCN6044.JPG DSCN6046.JPG DSCN6047.JPG

Micheal Valdros

Black Knight
Jun 30, 2014
New Lahmia
Update time!

Finished the necromancer some time ago, but didn't have access to a camera so had to wait to post any pictures. I didn't expect it turn out well, but I think its tuned out nice. I might just have to paint up some more Lords/Heroes after this

DSCN6061.JPG DSCN6062.JPG DSCN6064.JPG DSCN6067.JPG DSCN6068.JPG DSCN6069.JPG
It looks better in person, of course. Everything looks very, very yellow here for some reason (Yellow background, probably)

Also, a test Hexwraith. I'm not entirely sure its tournament legal, so I may have to add a third color, but other than that I think it looks spectral enough.
DSCN6070.JPG DSCN6073.JPG DSCN6074.JPG DSCN6075.JPG The nurgles rot is meant to be some sort of ectoplasm trail.

And, the Almost-done dune reaper. He just needs two more washes, Agrax and Sepia, before he's finished.
DSCN6079.JPG DSCN6080.JPG DSCN6083.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6077.JPG
    DSCN6077.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 1

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu