The Fimir of Albion - out of the mist

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
It most certainly is...

Very good looking, although I will say, I've never see a ginger with such dark skin, although perhaps with a handlebar mustache :pumpkin:
 
And with a squelch of stinking black mud, the half dead return.

a2.bp.blogspot.com__r437hfj1waU_UbY_k_G_LpI_AAAAAAAABOo_5eHDrUfI6Wg_s1600_Fimir_41.webp


a2.bp.blogspot.com__nc8SushjJt4_UbY_i_JvdWI_AAAAAAAABOY_zOkGp9EzKII_s1600_Fimir_42.webp


a1.bp.blogspot.com__zJCcEopV5Ks_UbY_jqYPWjI_AAAAAAAABOg_5gOeo33VqjQ_s1600_Fimir_40.webp


May was a complete wash out for me on the hobby front. A perfect storm of deadlines conspired to keep me at work almost literally every waking moment. I would look forward to special treats such as 'going to the toilet' and 'standing up'. Such was my lot. Not that ye care, you bunch of heartless fiends. Very well then, onto the painting.

As soon as it became even remotely possible to get some hobby in, I was back at the painting table. My month of hobby silence is a major blow to my intention to get the fimir army battle ready in time for NWG this year, and I need to make up some time. The first thing to do was get the two fellows on my painting table finished off, the half dead standard bearer and another rank and file trooper. Nothing is simply rank and file with this army, however, so even my back ranker needed glowing eyes added. With these two lads completed I am left with three more half dead to complete the unit. I need to paint a character and get well into my marlwyrm riders this month to even get somewhere close to back on schedule...
 
The standard looks wonderful Mr. S!
It's nice to see some updates, I feel for you (or should that be feel you, I'm not sure...) about lack of hobby time, I've not painted more than 3 models in as many months (even then, there not done).

Great to see you back, more piccies soon please.
 
a4.bp.blogspot.com__yQImKF8Akqo_UcdnXMMoe6I_AAAAAAAABSA_BIjMxWmEDf8_s1600_Fimir_43.webp


It's with a final buffing of leathery skin and scape of rusty metal that I add the last three members of the half dead to the unit. It's great to finish it. I had this idea wandering about my head for some time, and to see it done is pretty satisfying. Here's some shots of the finished unit.

a3.bp.blogspot.com__0CH4Br6_Z1k_Ucdnvwwb7fI_AAAAAAAABSI_LA8QHBLrTs4_s1600_Fimir_44.webp


a4.bp.blogspot.com__SXKFUJnFxhA_Ucdn1HkxGrI_AAAAAAAABSY_7xqGuoKE1oY_s1600_Fimir_45.webp


a4.bp.blogspot.com__aJGRzeP3wew_UcdnwdhIIMI_AAAAAAAABSQ_sfqv7lUw_vU_s1600_Fimir_46.webp


a2.bp.blogspot.com__F6Txv9GBC8M_Ucdn19LtW9I_AAAAAAAABSg_zc6UgxQgdPU_s1600_Fimir_47.webp


a2.bp.blogspot.com__AGcerMU_2kc_Ucdoa_gJPwI_AAAAAAAABSo_HNvSa0Dyezs_s1600_Fimir_48.webp


Now to enjoy the finished unit high until it's overshadowed by the next hobby compulsion, like deciding what colour to paint the boils on the back of the marlwyrms. Blacky green with some gloss varnish, methinks...
 
  • Like
Reactions: wheeljack
I've pretty much finished the skin on the marlwyrm. He still needs his underbelly and pustules painted, but the main area of flesh is about done. In the end I went for GW rakarth flesh washed with ogryn flesh and then worked up again with rakarth flesh layered up to about 3:1 rakarth flesh:white, then washed with gryphonne sepia. I then washed the sores with leviathan purple, and finally baal red. It needs a little tidying, but it's pretty much there, Next, the underbelly and boils. The boils will be highlighted from green up to yellow, then washed with sepia again, as I want them to stand out some.

a3.bp.blogspot.com__7w3skBI0_60_UeQe0gW6qHI_AAAAAAAABVU_dnoWcDBFOes_s1600_Fimir_wip_72.webp


a1.bp.blogspot.com__sdJmIGjm4ps_UeQe2vDQydI_AAAAAAAABVc_Vhr_eGjhG4c_s1600_Fimir_wip_73.webp
 
That marlwyrm is genuinely unsettling Mr Saterday! Top stuff throughout the thread really, I am envious of your imagination with a lot of your conversions! What's the plan once the wyrm is finished?
 
a1.bp.blogspot.com__iLgxkNGcM7A_Ue5Wi0Xl55I_AAAAAAAABYE_hIcnTU5V_qA_s1600_Fimir_50.webp


The first marlwyrm rider is finished! It's great to get the first of the bigger models for the army finished, up until now it's all been infantry, with the exception of the meargh. Now that the two main blocks are done it'll be nice to work on the larger and more unusual models for the army. I do plan on adding another block later on, the warped, but that's down the road.

The wyrm is 99% done, but I still have to add some drool to the tongue and mouth. The glue I use had dried out, so I have to wait for some more to arrive. Apart from that, it's done. It turned out pretty much as I wanted, neutral earthy tones to fit with the rest of the army with a few points of interest. I like how the green boils turned out, I was going to do them very dark green, but after some advice I changed to bright greeny yellow. The wyrm's mouth and the fimm rider's shield and cape also help jazz up the model. Hopefully the end result is hideous enough to distract my opponent some.

One down, three to go!
 
  • Like
Reactions: wheeljack
a3.bp.blogspot.com__AfjsNM40XtY_UfapfA4zU_I_AAAAAAAABYc_72s24vL0Kvo_s1600_Fimir_52.webp


Today I've been experimenting with a new method of adding drool and saliva to my recently completed marlwyrm. I've not added saliva or drool to a model in a long time, and my materials and techniques needed a little updating. After some sage advice from Madrab on the Wargaming Ireland forums, I had a lead on a new product, UHU Twist & Glue.

I had been using Evo Stik Impact, but this was only good when mixed with an ink for blood, gore and such as it has a yellow tint, so no good for saliva. Then main difference between Impact and Twist & Glue (T&G from here on in) is that Impact is viscous out of the tube, but T&G is runny, and needs to be allowed to partially set before use. After a few minutes I used a thin steel rod to twirl some glue onto, and hence onto the first contact point on the worm's mouth. I then drew out the glue into the stringy shape I wanted, and rolled the glue from the rod onto the second contact point.

Once dry, I figured that while it looks great, it'll be soon annihilated by use on the table, so I added a coat of gloss varnish. This has two benefits, it hardens the glue to better withstand the rigour of gaming, and also thickens the strands so they can be more easily seen. I'm pretty happy with the results.
 
a4.bp.blogspot.com__WbytWfng2Jc_UgKwuh5lJbI_AAAAAAAABZc_2ZmnbFxk_us_s1600_Fimir_53.webp


After finishing the first marlworm I thought I'd complete one of the characters for the army, Avagdu. He's been assembled for some while, and it was past time he got some paint. In gaming terms he'll operate as a low level wizard, and as a character I thought those big shoulder pads needed something more, so a bit of Celtic style freehand was in order. I added the name of the meargh who controls Avagdu in ogham to the back of the stone. Yeah? Too much you say? No way I reply.

Now, there's a pile of tentacles that need some red wash...
 
a3.bp.blogspot.com___BuE9_9_ZJs_Uho1SPuj8SI_AAAAAAAABa4_6OgsMNCccnY_s1600_Fimir_54.webp


After sitting on my painting desk for some time awaiting his turn, Crom is finally done. He will eventually have a larger base he sits into so he can be used as either a gorebeast chariot or a hellcannon.

I used the same colour scheme on Crom as I used on the marlwyrm. I started using GW bloodletter glaze, recently, starting with this guy. Great stuff. If the other GW glazes are as good I'll be picking them up. I found a slightly better glue to use for drool too, a super cheap glue called Capitol, from the 'just what you need' range. Faster drying and more elastic than UHU, it even allowed me to suspend a skull hanging from several of Crom's tentacles.

Next up, more marlwyrm riders and some war dogs.
 
Wow that worm is even better. Love the drool. Is crom named after the God from Conan i.e.

Crom dwells on a great mountain. What use to call on him? Little he cares if men live or die. Better to be silent than to call his attention to you; he will send you dooms, not fortune. He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu