The Fimir of Albion - out of the mist

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
wow!!

what a GREAt read!!

wicked start for my day..reading through this with a coffee in hand.

Im a millionmiles away from my paints etc now.... but already cant wait to go hoem and paint!!

THATS the effect of such cool work!!

-Dean.
 
Thanks mousekiller, I've been thinking about doing this army since 3rd edition...

ai805.photobucket.com_albums_yy337_mrsaturday_photos_Miniatures_Fimir_09.webp


The next two fimm out of the swamp are done and dusted. I have some more almost done on the painting table, but I thought I'd pop these up in the meantime. The converted fimm is the most heavily armed one I've done thus far, with a helm and various other odds and ends of armour. His axe was an idea I got from another fimir fan. His fimm have converted dwarf weapons to give the fimm that Celtic vibe, and I unceremoniously stole the idea as it looks gooood.

ai805.photobucket.com_albums_yy337_mrsaturday_photos_Miniatures_Fimir_10.webp


The other fellow is an out of the blister bog raider from Bloodmoon Miniatures. They're having a bit of a re-jig at the moment, and are returning in the Summer. I picked a few of these lads up before I had decided on the road-to-madness savage orc idea, and I was loathe to leave them out altogether, so I have a few of them in the fimm units to give the unit more variety in pose, even if they are quite different from the converted fimm. Once hidden away in the unit they fit in pretty snugly.
 
Mr Saturday: A whole lot of amazing looking stuff. Your painting looks very professional, and there's lots of creativity at work here :thumbsup: I never knew Fimirs could look so good. :O Unfortunately I gave my Heroquest away when I was a teen otherwise I think I would be adding a few undead Fimir to my VC army.
 
Okay, another fimm for the first unit. I must be speeding up, this lad was done in only a couple of days. I get into a kind of trance painting fimm at this stage. I've loved putting the unit together and painting it, but I'm looking forward to getting them done now, which all of a sudden seems an actual possibility. I think I may tackle the meargh next. It's only a single model, so I can lavish a bit more time on her.

ai805.photobucket.com_albums_yy337_mrsaturday_photos_Miniatures_Fimir_11.webp
 
One thing I can't tell looking at this, what sized base do those have?

I thought the ones from Forge World were around 40mm (Monstrous Infantry?) but are they actually 25mm?

Have you made rules to play them? :konrad: Seems like it would be worth making up a small list to play, at least casually with friends, if not in a tournament type setting.
 
Certainly coming together; Love the unit filler, gives the unit quite a bit of life.

Do they have no pupils :Vampire1: ?
 
After my recent foray into water effects on my movement trays, I decided to take a look at Base-X-of-War's resin base range. I had picked up some of these a while ago, but only recently gotten to paint some up. I must say, I do love their stuff, the range is increasing all the time and they are pretty inexpensive.

The swamp bases all have recesses for adding water effects, similar to the movement trays. You can see the latest fimm here on the base-x base waiting for the water to be added. This will be tinted to represent boggy water. I'm quite looking forward to seeing how this turns out, as I was very pleased with the result on the trays, and the meargh base's main feature is the bones of old sacrifice's peeking out from the brackish water at her feet.

ai805.photobucket.com_albums_yy337_mrsaturday_photos_Work_20in_20progress_Fimir_wip_35.webp


And onto the subject of temptation. I'm sure anyone reading this who's ever painted an army knows there are times where the urge to switch to a new project is almost overwhelming. I have been subject to this of late, where the lure of the vampire counts almost turned me away from the swamp-dwellers. IN fairness, this was mostly due to me trying to figure out how I could get an army ready for an upcoming tournament in September, and I imagined it would be easier to round out my vampires with a couple of new units.

ai805.photobucket.com_albums_yy337_mrsaturday_photos_Work_20in_20progress_Vampire_Counts_wip_01.webp


However, after some thought, and splendid advice from my sister, who is herself a gamer and understands the sensitivities of such a decision, I instead decided to use this as stick to make sure I finish enough of the fimir army to make the tournament. So, I now have to finish the fimm unit, the meargh, Crom, a unit of fianna fimm and more if I can to ensure the Fir Domhan make their tournament début this September...
 
That base looks pretty nice.
I understand what you are going through as my mate is organising a tournie in August and I want to get my Vampire ready for it, only problem is that I want to get quite a few oop models for them that are getting pretty pricey on the ol' evilbay.

What's that model with the great axe in the front rank of the picture?
It looks really nice...
 
You accuse him of dipping!
Good Sir, how can you say such things about such works of art?
Why, that's like accusing him of painting with a TANK BRUSH!
I urge you to consider your comments more carefully next time.

P.S. They are pretty fantastic aren't they?
 
LoL, i remember Mr Saturday saying some time ago that he dipped some of his models, he also gave me a great tutorial, but the models he showed us didn't look like they were dipped. They were so well painted! That's why i asked :tongue: Truth is they don't look dipped and YES they are fantastic. So no accusation there, just admiration of his work!
I urge you to consider your comments more carefully next time
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu