• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
Hehe, Bloodborne seems to have blown your mind ;) My PS4 still have to wait some time, I got a tattoo slipped in between my financial plannings. But I will own one not later than july (B-B-Birthday! ), so I got that going for me, which is nice ;)

najo

Mortarch of the Dark Soul
True Blood
Dec 23, 2012
Oregon
Lol, yeah I'm all over it. Small things I wish were different, like more PvP and covenants, but the whole game is pretty mind blowing.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
Lol, yeah I'm all over it. Small things I wish were different, like more PvP and covenants, but the whole game is pretty mind blowing.

I agree with your previous post. Bloodborne is amazing. I feel like it is a lot smoother than the previous souls games with faster, more fluid combat, and dodges and parrying replacing the shield. It also has so much atmosphere. Like Boltaria from Demons Souls x 100!

I have completed the game and am working on NG+ and the chalice dungeons. There are so many secrets, whole levels, weapons, attire, and multiple bosses than can be easily missed. Castle Cainhurst and the Upper Cathedral being the most relevant.

I think one of the coolest things about the game that is overlooked by some is the weapons. They are all unique and just so stylish and creative. I have them all now and have started experimenting with them. The stake driver, wheel, epee/gun, cane/whip, scythe...giant beast claws :|. Great attack animations too, especially if you throw some weapon transitions into the combos.

Reactions: najo

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
God I love the cane/whip.

It's just so classy.

Yeah it is :cool:

Finished my first play through using it almost exclusively. Have it upgraded to +9. Very versatile, whip R2 attack is great for mobs/groups, Whip R1 has great range, Cane form is fast and good for PvP and killing werewolves without a scratch by spamming R1.

You also have your gun available to you in both cane and whip form unlike two handed weapons. It takes some more skill to use the whip as it is not as powerful and does not stagger enemies but it is awesome. After all what's the point of hunting beasts if you don't look good doing it? ;)

Reactions: najo

najo

True Blood
Dec 23, 2012
Oregon
I'm using the cane/whip too :tongue: Love it! It's not overpowered either, just requires reflexes , movement and timing to use well. There are some other weapons that hit much harder. What is incredible about the trick weapons, is how much they add to game play. Each weapon can do so many things, but it is intuitive to use. I love the attire as well. I find myself changing attire depending what I am going up against a lot more than Dark Souls. Between the trick weapons and attire, they simplified the selection of gear but in a way made it more useful and you find yourself using more options and doing more with it all. Very elegant design.

The other thing that is neat is how they've hidden magic in the game. The arcane stat, weapons that work off arcane, certain gems, runes and then the magical items all give you spells that are powered off your arcane stat or the quicksilver bullets. Your characters can end up with an interesting selection of magic if you build them that way.

I agree the combat is perfect. Maybe some sort of parry should be in the game (other than the gun fire), but the fluidity, the switch between different moves and weapons, the dodging and attacking. Very intense! The world is incredible too. Amazing locales, especially once you get into the second half of the game.

The impression I get from this game is that Miyazaki did Sony a solid but without stepping on the toes of what multi-platform he is doing next. Bloodborne feels like he built the next generation engine for the souls series and it is a place for him to safely (and to a very high standard) test out things for the next Demon/Dark Souls type game (i.e. dark fantasy/horror setting). I could see a new game or Dark Souls 3 be built on the Bloodborne engine with all of its positives, and then bring back more covenants with improved online matchmaking, traditional sword and sorcery armor, shields and weapons and a game with more depth, more co-op and pvp, and replayability.

The timing of Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin is interesting too. Its like they know Bloodborne won't have the longevity of Dark Souls since its a more contained story and scope. So they put out a saftey net for the hardcore that play's the hell out of Bloodborne and is done with it in the next 2-3 months, while the rest of us will get a lot out of Bloodborne. This isn't a criticism btw. Honestly at this point, From Software can do little to no wrong for me. Hands down they are the most innovative and upstanding of the game studios IMHO. No other games evoke the emotions and mood of the souls games. They just don't. You FEEL your pain, suffering, wonder and eventual triumphs in these games like no other.

lol, I need to start a Miyazaki cult. Don't get me started on the other Miyazaki either... He's my favorite animator. Nausicaa, Princess Mononke, Spirited Away...great stuff!

Last edited:

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
I too like mixing up and collecting attire. I have everything except for the Graveguard set which I missed but will get in NG+. I am hoping that Bloodborne is the start of something for this gen in the same way Demons Souls started the Souls series back on the ps3. I would love to see an evolution and expansion of the Bloodborne formula in the same way that Dark Souls expanded on Demons Souls.

I agree no other game evokes such a rush as From games. It is a real rollercoaster of exhilarating highs and crushing lows. And the great thing is it comes from great gameplay and game design.

The award for evoking most emotion goes to TLOU for me though, however that is through story and character development so is a whole other kettle of fish. No need for comparisons, all great games.

As for Miyazaki I am also a fan of both. Even Totoro is OK in my book. Both directors have a talent for creating atmospheric worlds with interesting art design and histories. I lived in Japan for a while so can dig their sensibilities.

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
May 17, 2010
Timaru
I'll join Najo xD I just wish I had more time to play it, curse having a full time job sometimes. I usually go axe or sword still not the best at it I suck at being able to stagger with the guns so I just usually go crazy with the great weapon mode whilst dodging

Reactions: najo and robtion

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
I'll join Najo xD I just wish I had more time to play it, curse having a full time job sometimes. I usually go axe or sword still not the best at it I suck at being able to stagger with the guns so I just usually go crazy with the great weapon mode whilst dodging
That works too I guess :konrad:

You should practice on the big pale faced guys in cathedral word. They're very easy to parry and then 1 hit kill. Its really not that hard for many enemies once you get the timing.

Yeah I am juggling work and two kids so have been burning the midnight oil and just fitting in time wherever I can. Being a grownup is not all its cracked up to be ;)

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
May 17, 2010
Timaru
Behold!!!! Epicness is coming

I know there are other threads that have already mentioned this but thought a games thread should at least have some mention of it

Last edited:

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
...what?

I died three times in a row by falling down somewhere yesterday in dark souls, after that I quit for the day.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
I tried this yesterday, but recognized it was one post too early :D With beating Gwyn, Lord of Cinder yesterday, I shall now call myself True Blood here! ...even if there is no relation between DS and CN, the situation fits :thumbsup: Love you guys :bowdown:

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
So having completed Bloodborne 3 times, put in over 120 hrs, and collected every trophy bar one for the game I am finally ready to render my verdict...it's alright :clown:

Definitely one of my all time favourite games.

It has taken The Witcher 3 to finally drag me away and only being 4-5 hours in I am enjoying it a lot so far. Anyone else participating in some Witcher goodness?

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
May 17, 2010
Timaru
So having completed Bloodborne 3 times, put in over 120 hrs, and collected every trophy bar one for the game I am finally ready to render my verdict...it's alright :clown:

Definitely one of my all time favourite games.

It has taken The Witcher 3 to finally drag me away and only being 4-5 hours in I am enjoying it a lot so far. Anyone else participating in some Witcher goodness?
Nah still on Bloodborne lol:clown: What's the Witcher like? I've been slightly interested as it looks like a cool fantasy game I could get

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
Yeah I will be back to Bloodborne. Just taking a short break from all the :zombie2:

The Witcher is very good so far. Huge scope like Skyrim or Fallout and far more RPG elements which I'm not such a fan of. Weapons and armour constantly break, you are continually collecting 'loot' like diablo which I find to be a chore. The pace is quite slow and the combat is okay but nowhere near as satisfying as in Bloodborne.

However it has a great looking world, nice art design and graphics, massive varied areas to explore, an interesting story with many good side quests, fun dialogue options/choices like Mass Effect, a variety of 'romance' options, and many alternative endings depending on your choices. I'm only a dozen hours in but things are starting to open up.
Still think Bloodborne will take GOTY for me though, I am addicted to it :konrad:

Reactions: Count michael

najo

True Blood
Dec 23, 2012
Oregon
That was the impression Witcher 3 gave me. I've put so many hours into the various Souls games, that is with working full time, married and having two kids. My wife played through Dark Souls 1 and 2 as well. Plan to do Bloodborne here with her soon. The next game that has our attention is Black Ops 3. I guess PVP is in our blood. Her and I did meet boffer fighting, no joke :P

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
I'm unsure if I should go to the Dark Souls Add on area in NewGame+ (a good amount of time from the start:rolleyes:) or go with a new graphic card (correct word? ) and start DS2 and GTA V. First world problems xD

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
That was the impression Witcher 3 gave me. I've put so many hours into the various Souls games, that is with working full time, married and having two kids. My wife played through Dark Souls 1 and 2 as well. Plan to do Bloodborne here with her soon. The next game that has our attention is Black Ops 3. I guess PVP is in our blood. Her and I did meet boffer fighting, no joke :tongue:

Yeah I'm in the same situation. Married, we both work, 2 young kids. There have been some late nights to get in Bloodborne time and many neglected chores. Worth it though ;)

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
I wish my girlfriend would play games as I do, too...that's a point where we have different priorities :D

A question for the Dark Souls fraction: Are the "Artorias of the Abyss" areas & bosses worth the effort of playing the game again? And with effort I don't mean struggle or something bad, but the necessary time. I have so many other games to play through, that it's like work and pondering fun against time xD

Count michael

The Undead Sparky
May 17, 2010
Timaru
I love E3 some more info on Vermintide gameplay looks interesting:happy:

As well as probably the most exciting bit of news ever

NEW DARK SOULS GAME!!!!!!:happy: (On both PS4, Xbox1 and pc)
anything else from e3 people are stoked about

Last edited:
Reactions: robtion

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
@Count michael

I think Horizon on PS4 looks like it could be pretty amazing.

Uncharted 4 demo really wowed me from a graphics perspective. So cool with the physics and destruction.

I loved ICO and Shadow of the Colossus so The Last Guardian next year is great news.

Waiting to see if they show Scalebound on XB1 or not.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
Talkin 'bout Dark Souls 3 eh? After I bought ds2 on steam, I found myself quickly in the same situation as the guy who wrote this into the steam help forum: This game is so hard, I can't even start it. I have the same error as MANY others, game doesn't start and crashes on whitescreen. Tried all workarounds, no effect. Last hope is my new graphics card, but this beast needs a more powerful psu than I currently have. Thanks for nothing so far dear publisher:thumbsdown:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu