• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

The Golden Bat Competition – Summer 2010 - Converting

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Well we finally have all the entrants for the conversion category, and what an excellent set of conversions they are, all would make fantastic centre pieces in anyones army.

Below you will find each entry, with the entrants name, what they have entered, follow by the pics.

Guidelines for Voting

Some of you may be unsure of what to look for, so here are some helpful guidelines:
  • Does the basic concept work? What the entrant might have thought may be a good idea may not be in reality.
  • Are the components are good choices? Did the entrant choose the right piece?
  • Did the entrant convert enough, perhaps he could have done a little more? Or perhaps he went too far and changed some things that we not really necessary?
  • Does the final model look like a complete model? Perhaps one of the most important things for conversions. You want the end result to look like it was originally cast that way. Do all the parts work together, or is it obvious that head is too big etc.
  • Finally check for little things like sculpted details, are they gaps where there shouldn't be etc

Following the above should help. Remember you are voting for thoughts and design as well as the actual implementation.

Best of luck to all the entrants.

Disciple of Nagash

1. Originman – Wight King BSB

Components
[img=800x600]http://doubleones.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/p1010210.jpg[/img]

WIP
[img=800x600]http://doubleones.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/p1010212.jpg[/img]

Finished
[img=800x600]http://doubleones.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/p1010215.jpg[/img]

2. Elho – Black Coach

Components

WIP

Finished

3. Joeli – Norscan Vampire

Components
001-7.jpg

WIP
003-10.jpg

Finished
007-8.jpg

4. Normal – Soulcart aka Corpse Cart

Components:
ai438.photobucket.com_albums_qq104_norrmahl_DSCN3384.jpg

WIP:
ai438.photobucket.com_albums_qq104_norrmahl_soulcartwip01.jpg

Finished:
ai438.photobucket.com_albums_qq104_norrmahl_soulcartwip09.jpg
ai438.photobucket.com_albums_qq104_norrmahl_soulcartwip10.jpg
ai438.photobucket.com_albums_qq104_norrmahl_soulcartwip11.jpg

5. Mioum - Ghouls

Components:
aa.imageshack.us_img256_1963_gbconvertion01.jpg

WIP
aa.imageshack.us_img405_3800_gbconvertion02.jpg

Finished
aa.imageshack.us_img337_1295_gbconvertion03.jpg
aa.imageshack.us_img405_7523_gbconvertion04.jpg
ai282.photobucket.com_albums_kk241_MrandMrsGoth_gbconvertion08.jpg

6. Dadadda - Neferata

Components
amyfantasyminiatures.files.wordpress.com_2010_08_vampire_queen_components.jpg

WIP
amyfantasyminiatures.files.wordpress.com_2010_08_vampire_queen_wip_3.jpg

Finished
amyfantasyminiatures.files.wordpress.com_2010_08_vampire_queen_1.jpg
amyfantasyminiatures.files.wordpress.com_2010_08_vampire_queen_conversion_details_6.jpg
amyfantasyminiatures.files.wordpress.com_2010_08_vampire_queen_conversion_details_2.jpg

7. Atoom - The Mechanized Mortuary Metal Monstrosity aka Black Coach

Components
ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu215_atoom_atoom_The_20Machine_MMMMBits.jpg

WIP
ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu215_atoom_atoom_The_20Machine_MMMMWIP.jpg

Finished
ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu215_atoom_atoom_The_20Machine_MMMM1.jpg
ai649.photobucket.com_albums_uu215_atoom_atoom_The_20Machine_MMMM2.jpg

8. Richie - Vampiress

Components – Not possible due to model being an entire sculpt

WIP
ai282.photobucket.com_albums_kk241_MrandMrsGoth_Monique.jpg

Finished
ai282.photobucket.com_albums_kk241_MrandMrsGoth_Ameliafinished.jpg
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v697_N_large_AUT_1402.jpg

9. Alfika - Black Coach

Components
ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i68_AlFiKa_VC_The_20Black_20Coach_P5270034.jpg

WIP
ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i68_AlFiKa_VC_The_20Black_20Coach_P5270001_1.jpg

Finished ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i68_AlFiKa_VC_The_20Black_20Coach_P8010005.jpg
ai69.photobucket.com_albums_i68_AlFiKa_VC_The_20Black_20Coach_P8010011.jpg

10. Forge – Black Coach

Components – though no picture was provided, a list was and was deemed acceptable on this occasion:
Plastic Card-various thickness's to build coach
Green Stuff
Grave Guard Cuirass
Zombie head(Corpse Cart)
Tomb King horse rider legs
Corpse Cart whip arm
4 Chaos warhorses
Corpse Cart parts for harness assembly
4 Coffin Lid shields
4 Poker Chips
4 Corpse cart wheels
5 Skeleton shields
3 Ogre Kingdom shields
Small length of small gauge wire for reins.
3 Sculptors kit chains
1 Balefire accessory from corpse cart
Paper Clips
2 Skulls for door handles
Balsa wood for stage coach siding
Card board
4 Lanterns from corpse cart
2 torches from corpse cart
Bitz trees for wheel spokes
1 Hanging skeleton from corpse cart
2 meat bags/ impaled knight from corpse cart
1 Imperial Guard demolisher hatch
1 Zombie arm

WIP
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f144_kainelson101_photo6.jpg

Finished
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f144_kainelson101_photo10.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f144_kainelson101_photo.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f144_kainelson101_photo5.jpg

11. Zer0aim – Black Coach

Components
startcart1.jpg

WIP
precart1.jpg

Finished
postcart2.jpg

postcart3.jpg

postcart1.jpg

12. Ophidicus – Mounted Vampire

Components – Not possible as model is an entire sculpt

WIP
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v638_Mullett_miniatures_IMGP0964.jpg

Finished
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v638_Mullett_miniatures_FinalUnmountedcopy.jpg
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v638_Mullett_miniatures_FinalMounted2copy.jpg
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v638_Mullett_miniatures_FinalMounted1copy.jpg

Danceman

The Devil in Pale Moonlight
True Blood
Aug 19, 2007
Now this was not an easy pick...

I bow to the inventive minds of all of the entries. Lovely stuff, indeed!

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
[mod] Please remember as per the GB rules - you cannot vote for yourself. Any such votes will be discounted[/mod]

The Dark Lord Mr Fluffy

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Dec 23, 2007
Eire
Argh! That IS a hard choice!
Gonna have to give mine to Richie, if I had a second vote I'd totally go for Mioum's Ghouls - Fixed boobs = win anyday

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Jul 3, 2010
The Dark Lord Mr Fluffy said:
Argh! That IS a hard choice!
Gonna have to give mine to Richie, if I had a second vote I'd totally go for Mioum's Ghouls - Fixed boobs = win anyday

Well thanks for the "second place" :)

Richie is not fair though, he's a (professional) scultor entering a brand new scult, not a conversion! You should make a category 'sculting' only for him xD

Also for curiosity, why can't we vote for us?

Last thing, vote for me, and if I win I'll share the reward with others if I get stuff I don't need :perv:

WeeDawgNYC

Skeleton
Mar 12, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I personally dont think sculpting of an entire model is considered fair in a compitition like this. converting to me is searching for that perfect bit, sizeing it up, cutting away...glueing & finally after all that huffn & puffn, sore necks & sensitive fingertips you sit back & enjoy your frankenstein creation.

I think theree should be a cap of 15-20% MAX use of green stuff/puddy/clay of any kind to be considered a CONVERSION contest.

my $0.02

Kalandros

Necromancer
True Blood
Nov 27, 2008
Near Montréal, Québec
To me a conversion is making a model from other parts.. so I will not vote for entirely sculpted models!

I'm having a hard time deciding right now so I will come back to this and decide.

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
May 27, 2009
Lincoln, England
I'm tempted to vote for Rik the Builder purely as a show of solidarity against those 'not a conversion' naysayers, "sizeing it up, cutting away...glueing & finally after all that huffn & puffn, sore necks & sensitive fingertips" is exactly what it is. Solidarity, Brother. And to my knowledge, he's not a pro, just bloody good at what he does. He gets models cast by an independant company & I highly doubt he's that well rewarded for his talents. He's just been accepted for AoW through the abuse of his own fingers in doing what he loves. I shall hear none of this "he ain't making an effort cos it's not a conversion" nonsense. Nonsense, I say, nonsense.

I haven't decided who's getting my vote yet. I shall be objective in my judgement.

"sizeing it up, cutting away...glueing & finally after all that huffn & puffn, sore necks & sensitive fingertips"
*Glare*

Skarsnik the Lord

Crypt Horror
May 1, 2010
Finland
Soulcart got my vote, the idea is great and original and the conversion work is great. I mean every work here is great but my personal favourite is the ghost cart, very good work. :)

TheNosferatu

Skeleton
Jan 23, 2010
Ritchie's got my vote, simply because I think it's the best model. Bo%£cks to all this rubbish about it not being a conversion - it's in the competition plain and simple. If you don't like the competition, don't vote.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
My vote went to the Norscan Vampire. The idea is a good one, but it was the implementation that got it for me. The components were well chosen and put together really well, with the GS adding some really nice touches.

But it was really hard to choose again.........

miniPhil

Zombie
Aug 17, 2010
My vote is for Forge's Black Coach. Too many times I've looked down at my own Coach and thought it looked far too dainty only for it to die soon after. If you had that coach on the field you'd feel unstopable.

Richie

Necromancer
Sep 1, 2007
In the biscuit cupboard
WeeDawgNYC said:
I personally dont think sculpting of an entire model is considered fair in a compitition like this. converting to me is searching for that perfect bit, sizeing it up, cutting away...glueing & finally after all that huffn & puffn, sore necks & sensitive fingertips you sit back & enjoy your frankenstein creation.

How is it not fair?

I didn't have any kind of professional tutorage, I wasn't given magic tools that do the work for me. I was simply someone who had/has too much time on their hands and started hacking and cutting bits and pieces before sticking them together about seven years ago.

I can tell you for a fact that sculpting scratch builds takes a very long time and is considerably harder and much more time consuming than conversions and kit bashings.

Although if you want to bring sore hands and fingers into it, mine are covered in deep scars and scratchs from slips with scalpels and even injures caused by files.

@Ophidicus
Thanks for the support man I definitely owe you a drink. ;)

However the last thing I want to cause is anger and conflicted interests, I've just had a look at my placing, I honestly did not expect it to be that high.

As a result should I get first place I wish to split any winnings among the top 3 places (myself not included).

As for my vote it goes to Ophidicus, I like green stuff, I like sculpts but I am a real sucker for scratch builds and especially texture and detail.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
In regards to conflict, I set the rules for this competition, so if any has problems then they should take them up with me.

Richie - you have nothing to be concerned about, you followed the rules and I even encouraged you to enter. In regards to your prizes, only do that if you really want to. I do not want you pressurized or doing it out of guilt or anything. If you win, you will have done because CN's members wanted you to win, and so you deserve the prizes. They are yours to do with as you wish.

Richie

Necromancer
Sep 1, 2007
In the biscuit cupboard
Disciple of Nagash said:
In regards to conflict, I set the rules for this competition, so if any has problems then they should take them up with me.

Richie - you have nothing to be concerned about, you followed the rules and I even encouraged you to enter. In regards to your prizes, only do that if you really want to. I do not want you pressurized or doing it out of guilt or anything. If you win, you will have done because CN's members wanted you to win, and so you deserve the prizes. They are yours to do with as you wish.

Thanks for the support, but I'm more than happy to go ahead with passing on the prizes, it's been years since I last painted anything.

The only thing I hope for is that they get a good paint job and do the owners proud.

I don't feel guilty about the situation, just dissapointed that one or possibly two individuals seem to think that it's not fair that someone who has a few years in scratch building should be allowed to enter, it's a bit like trying to ban pro painters from entering golden demon contests.

Nikos

Vampire Count
True Blood
Feb 26, 2010
Plymouth
This is crazy?! I didnt vote for your vamp, but nearly did, it is bloody great by the way, you shouldnt feel the need to do anything because someone is bellyaching. Youre in the lead because people think its great. If you win wear your crown with pride and lord it up, you deserve it.

Ophidicus

Vampire Count
True Blood
May 27, 2009
Lincoln, England
Hear hear :)

I'm very proud that Richie voted for me, it's an honour*! If anyone knows how much elbow grease goes into making these little soldiers it's him. Thank you sir, second round is on me :D

That said, I didn't vote for him in the end, I was swayed by the barminess factor, I voted for the Steam Coach, an ingenious use of parts & models, a very impressive conversion. In my book, if I can imagine the noise it makes, it's a successful model.

*Bloody firefox spellchecker! There is a U in 'honour'!! It doesn't even recognise 'firefox'... and 'recognise' definitely doesn't have a z in it... time to install the British English dictionary methinks. Or just be content that I can spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu