• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

MedMos

Ghoul
Sep 15, 2015
Lundby, Sjælland
Hello there, fellow undead enthusiasts! This will be a log of my attempt to finally finish my VC army. Fair warning, I work slowly and my painting is not the greatest, and I get sidetracked by other projects all the time! That being said I do have some bits that are done, as well as some elements that only need a little work, so there will be some pictures in here from the beginning.

Let's start with what is already done. My army has been painted over the last few decades, so the quality of the painting probably isn't very consistent. Also, I hope you'll excuse me using a bit of terrain I made recently, just a bit of flavour. First off we have my Vampire Lord and a Necromancer, both on foot.
2021-07-05 11.17.24.jpg
Next up, a few of the older Vampires, one on an Abyssal Horror.
2021-07-05 11.17.57.jpg
Then some core choices, namely 40 Zombies, 20 Dire Wolves and 12 Ghouls. The wolves you might recognize as from the Goblin Wolf Riders of old, I didn't like the old Dire Wolves (nor did my wallet), and the Ghouls I got back in 6th when they were skirmishers. I never used them as a ranked unit.
2021-07-05 11.16.17.jpg
2021-07-05 11.19.04.jpg
2021-07-05 11.16.54.jpg
And finally, my Varghulf. The last thing I painted for this army, along with my Vampire Lord.
2021-07-05 11.18.29.jpg

That'll be first post, I'll return soonish with an outline of the plan going forward. Until then, Carpe Noctem.

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
Lovely work, and some nice classic models out there as well. 😉👍
Terrain looks great too and is always a nice addition for atmosphere so keep it up!

Reactions: MedMos

MedMos

Ghoul
Sep 15, 2015
Lundby, Sjælland
Thank you for the kind words, Raven Torrid! 😊 I realise the pictures might be on the dark side, but I couldn't in good conscience have my vampires fully lighted... I'll work with the setup a little for next time.

Do you know that feeling, where you think you've only got a few more things to do, and that army is as good as done? Well, I made a list today, and that feeling of confidence kind of faded... 😆 There are a lot of models in the old queue. But now I have a better vantage point to plan my attack!

First up, I do have more painted models than shown in the post above, but they were in a carrying case that got soaked in a washing machine mishap out in the garage. I thought it was ok, and that it would dry out. Instead the flocking on the bases started growing mold! So I have some work with restoring those to a playable condition, pictures will follow once that is accomplished. This is what I have, fully painted but in need of demolding:
~80 Skeletons, 50/50 sword'n'board/spears. Several command models.
3 Fell Bats, converted
3 Spirit Host, made of 3 LOTR Ring Wraiths on a large base each
2 Banshees, stock metal minis
1 Necromancer, also one of the older metal ones.

Next up is the wip's that never really got finished, and as such are in various states of painting progress. And this is also where my dark secret lies... I might as well say it. My Black Coach. The model that started my whole foray into WHFB. The model that has been in every army I've played of sufficient point size to include it. Is still unpainted and only partially assembled... Please have mercy on my damned soul.🥺
In all seriousness, I saw it at a FLGS way back when and just wanted to paint it. The friendly store owner, charismatic salesperson as he was, convinced me to maybe get a box of skeletons as well, and the rest is history. Many games and much fun has been had, and it is way overdue that this my first fantasy model was painted up. These are the figures just aching for paint, some almost done, some barely touched:
6 Black Knights
20 Grave Guard
2 Wight Kings, foot/mounted
2 Vampires, 1 BSB/1 mounted on Hellsteed
5 Wraiths, 1 original/4 conversions
Black Coach
Corpse Cart.

And that's it! I do have some head canon for my characters also, that I might polish off and share with you guys here and there. I like to think up stories while working on the models, makes it all more personal.☺️
Till next time!

MedMos

Ghoul
Sep 15, 2015
Lundby, Sjælland
I finished my Corpse Cart, it having been almost painted for years. Finished up the last few draft zombies, the driver and a base for it, and voila!
2021-07-22 14.23.17.jpg
2021-07-22 14.23.55.jpg

I've also got a few ghosty types almost ready, so they should be along in a day or two. C&C appreciated!😊

Reactions: Kassill

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
Good work, I'm liking the transitions on the Corpse Cart, especially on the flames and the red pants. 🙂
The ethereals are awesome as well, I like how they start dark on the top and go brighter in the lower parts - and the addition of mist looks ace!

MedMos

Ghoul
Sep 15, 2015
Lundby, Sjælland
A few more models have been made ready again, these just needed a treatment against mold. They would probably benefit from an updated coat of paint, but then I could keep going back to paint everything every few years, as my brushwork improved from simple repetition... ☺️

Another pair of classic metals, a Vampire and a Necromancer.
2021-07-23 13.51.09.jpg

And 3 Fell Bats, a little harder to photograph these things...
2021-07-23 13.51.37.jpg

Reactions: Grave Tacticus

MedMos

Ghoul
Sep 15, 2015
Lundby, Sjælland
They are indeed, Unas the slayer! I bought a box of 9 way back when, as I didn't really care for the old Spirit Host models. And I must say, I'm rather happy with how they turned out. Also, it doesn't hurt that my phone caught a nice photo of them, it can be a little fickle sometimes. 😄

Reactions: Unas the slayer

Kaptain Von

Vampire Count
True Blood
Feb 26, 2008
United Kingdom
First up, I do have more painted models than shown in the post above, but they were in a carrying case that got soaked in a washing machine mishap out in the garage. I thought it was ok, and that it would dry out. Instead the flocking on the bases started growing mold!
I sympathise. I once bought a second hand case to store my Saga undead in; it was left outside my door in the rain by a neglectful postman, the foam inside was properly wetted, and even after I thought it had dried out... nope, after a month or so in that box my army's wooden bases had taken on a decidedly furry texture.

That Spirit Host looks fantastic, by the way. Can't believe I never thought of that! (It would be tricky for me to avoid picking up the Witch King to use as a Wraith, after building that little lot...)

MedMos

Ghoul
Sep 15, 2015
Lundby, Sjælland
Ooh, ouch... Yeah, it apparently only takes a tiny bit of moisture to get that fuzziness going, Kaptain Von. I hope you sorted it out.
And thanks, happy that you like the Spirit Host!☺️ I never thought about the Witch King, as I only played Wraiths in units, but thinking about it now...

MedMos

Ghoul
Sep 15, 2015
Lundby, Sjælland
Long time, no update. But I finally finished my Black Coach!
I wanted my Black Knights to have the same ethereal effect as my Spirit Host on their steeds, but the Black Coach used the same models so I thought it fitting to apply the same here.
IMG_20210916_184801__01.jpg
IMG_20210916_184827__02.jpg
I have a picture of the vampire inside as well, but the image was too big. Will link from imgur later.
I hope you like it!

Edit: cropped pictures.
IMG_20210916_190701~2.jpg
And before I glued him in there.
IMG_20210914_222949~2.jpg

MedMos

Ghoul
Sep 15, 2015
Lundby, Sjælland
Thanks, Sun King! I was almost tempted to get the new model as well... but I don't even play anymore, haven't for years. I'm conditioning the kids with some smaller skirmish games, but some way to go still.😉

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu