The Spirit Host - a painting log.

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!
Thanks for the praise DoN, I think I'll have all of my characters follow either the grey scheme or the green scheme, depending on if they're part of Helena's personal guard or not.

Anyway, here's some pictures of another attempt at painting cavalry. I took pictures of him with an infantry model on the side as I painted him in the exact same way but he still turned out darker for some reason. To make matters worse I've actually run out of paints! I'll need to reinforce my paint-tray tomorrow, heheh.

97906365.jpg

76735379.jpg

99353923.jpg

53869964.jpg

12625618.jpg


I'm still happy with how he looks though and I will likely have the cavalry look somewhat like that. Perhaps just a tiny bit lighter rider..
 
Hello,

I just thought that I'd keep you, my trusty readers, up to date on what I'm currently doing. The painting of my fantasy army has been temporarily put on-hold, much thanks to my gaming partners who have recently been drifting over to the WH40k side of things. They've expressed just how happy they'd be if I were to join them but as it is, my army of Chaos Daemons are a right mess - nothing is painted and much of it isn't even built!

Anyway, I've decided to shift the focus to my daemons in order to get them in shape for some proper gaming. The course on the menu, you ask? Why, it'll be a host of Daemonic Dolls, headed up by a rather interesting dollie that you might be familiar with if you've played the recently released Silent Hill: Homecoming. :D If I can make the models look sensible and properly awesome, I'll share them with you here. I take it that it'd be alright, seeing as Vekarin has done something alike in his own plog?
 
I'm on board. You floor me with your skillz, so seeing the 40K army I might branch into done in that fashion would be amazing.

I'll drool over just about anything you put effort into. Then try to emulate it and fail badly.
 
Hey everyone,

Posting here to let you know that I'm back to working on my VC army again. Fantasy has got me in an iron vice of a grip. :lol:

Anyway, I've been looking around for some models to use for both a varghulf and zombies. Taking inspiration from Vash's painting log here on CN I'm planning on using the Green Knight model, painting him in ghostly colours and have him count as a varghulf. He'll be a powerful spirit knight, the restless soul of a wronged grail knight (or something equally dramatic). With the GK model having a large amount of raised areas on the barding I think that he could look great when painted ghostly-grey.

For zombies, I've been thinking of the goblins from the BfSP pack. If I could in some way cut and file away the faces of the gobbos they could appear as some form of robed and hooded little ghost-men. And what's even better is that a friend of mine happens to have 120 of them for sale. :D

I should be back with some painting updates here soon. :)
 
All right, sorry for the delay. Here's four pictures of how I plan on having my newly purchased horde of zombies to look like.

45813523.jpg

56320461.jpg

21118262.jpg

83411834.jpg


Now you can probably see my shameful little secret by looking at these photos. Yes, I've merely cut their faces off into a flat surface which is visible if you go in for a close enough look. It's not visible at all from a gaming viewpoint and being zombies, I do not wish to spend very much effort on modelling them to be perfect. Good enough as I often say. :D
 
Those are amazing. =P Goblins, FTW! They're like, the ubiquitously (sp?) useful model. You can do just about anything with a Goblin, including Target practice, Rugby, Lacrosse, Rigged cage fights, Zombie raising, and more!
 
hey with a few hundred of these you wont even notice it hehehe
just seth them!

and use a large number to wow the people who see it...
 
Thanks for the positive feedback fellows, here's a picture of a 30-man unit of these little blighters.

 
Thanks again for the praise, I'm glad that you like them as much as I do myself. :)

Sheep, the movement tray is actually long enough, it's just that the last rank lacks any framing. That is easily changed, though this particular tray was meant to be used with my 25-man skeleton units.

Baslakor, here's how I did them.

  1. Paint model with codex grey or equivalent from about waist to top of head, drybrush from waist to ankles/feet.
  2. Paint model with fortress grey from the middle of the back to the top of the hood, drybrush down to the knees (roughly).
  3. Paint the model with skull white around the hood and shoulders, drybrush a little bit just below these parts.
  4. Wash lightly with thraka green.
  5. Wash again with thraka green, this time a little heavier.
It really is stupidly simple but since it looks decent and follows a theme nicely, I couldn't be happier with it. :D
 
I'm sorry for this double posting but I've got a little update for you, my good fellows. I've recently been thinking a bit on how I want my dire wolves to look like and going with my earlier idea of having them as ghostly yeomen (peasants on horseback, basically), I went down to the shop and bought myself one of them to experiment with. You'll have to excuse the sub-optimal sharpness of the pictures. Something's iffy with the camera today.









What I did was quite a simple thing. I sawed the head off and replaced it with one from the skeleton box, as well as a spear and a shield. I also put a small ornamental shield from the Bretonnian Knights box on the spear arm to make it appear a little less thin in comparison with the rest of the model.

I think they'll go well with my black knights and blood knights, which is the goal. :)
 
Again, thanks for the good words. I'm actually in the process of performing an overhaul of the army, I plan to be using my spirit host models as grave guard instead of the regular ones. The current GG will simply be made into spare parts which is always needed. I feel that the undeadified men-at-arms will fit in much better as Bretonnian GG.

I will also paint their shields in a different manner. Instead of following the gradient of the rest of the model, the shields will be a solid black with metallic lining. I plan to add the earlier mentioned emblem to each and every shield. It might clash a little bit with the ghostliness of the models but I believe that it'll come out looking more organized and, well, better. I plan to do this on all miniatures that are supposed to be of Bretonnian descent, which is the grave guard, black knights, dire wolves and blood knights. Ghosts they might be but as former Brets, the livery is still an important display. :D

I'll try to get a test model done..
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu