• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.
Apr 13, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
I agree about the identical models, to an extent. I think the pose & style of these figures in particular lends to that sort of sinister or determined look. I think the Nightmare Legion and a lot of the other old RoR are the same.

But there are other units where I don't think it works too well -- like the oldschool dwarf hammerers who look like they're all about to strike a blow with synchronized precision -- even the back ranks who look like they'll be smashing the skulls of the dwarfs in the rank ahead of them! :smash:

At any rate... I forgot to post the finished (for now....) unit. Complete with command and some extra figures that I thought fit the same style.

dotdr02_zpsw6pve15o.jpg

Oh, and Shadespyre -- you made a comment elsewhere about the cleric on the end of the unit. After a closer look, the regiment's leader and the cleric are definitely variations of a single sculpt. The robes, armour, weapon shafr, etc. are all identical.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
I thought that must be the case. Many of the other RRs have 3 or 4 slight variations on the basic troopers (mostly head swaps), and this applies to a lot of mid-80s ranges where you can group minis into "families" of the same pose - Jes Goodwin's Elves, and Eldar Harlequins, are great for this game. Though that actually goes back to the C series and Fantasy tribes ranges, so it's more a question of when did they stop doing it? :)

Apr 13, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Well, I think these are the hammerers I was talking about above -- late '90s. Basically the same four figures with minor (but not miner... heh heh heh) variations.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat1998us/c1998usp079-00.htm

I don't remember when they came out (sometime early 2000s), but the 6th/7th edition Skaven had a similar repetition of figures with minor changes with the metal slaves and stormvermin.

After that they started moving to mostly plastics....

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
I think what we're saying is repetition of pose looks fine as long as the pose is fairly neutral / sensible.

I'm having to use a lot of willpower right now not to just get my own cultists out and paint them, yours look so splendid! Must paint Space Marines though...

Apr 13, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Thank you Sharkbelly!

I think what we're saying is repetition of pose looks fine as long as the pose is fairly neutral / sensible.

Yes. And I agree with your comments about Jes Goodwin's elves. I have a small WE force I should photograph. They're older paintjobs (goblin green bases!) -- at least the ones that are painted. I still have some others that are bare or stripped lead. Would love to make it a future project to expand them to a full army... :innocent:

I'm having to use a lot of willpower right now not to just get my own cultists out and paint them, yours look so splendid! Must paint Space Marines though...

Didn't you say something like that about giants recently. Haha! All part of the miniatures gamer lifestyle, right? ;) Honestly I'm feeling the same way about sci-fi/RT stuff lately. In fact, I got distracted earlier when doing some other work in my basement and started rummaging around for the (very) few sci-fi/RT figures I have and started dreaming up plans for painting them.... even though I have a half-finished giant, some small dragons, and a unit of oldschool mounted wights on my painting desk already!

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Very true. Your admonishment has me back daubing Marines, anyway. I think putting 20 on the table at once was a mistake...

Apr 13, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Very true. Your admonishment has me back daubing Marines, anyway. I think putting 20 on the table at once was a mistake...

Not admonishing! Paint what makes you happy at any given moment, even if that means 20 projects at once. I think painting always works best if your heart is really into it. So I start things, then put them away for 10 years... ;)

Finished speed painting some rough old wights/mounted skeletons I picked up from eBay a while ago.

20170812_141049.jpg

These will serve (I believe) somewhere between the more armoured black knights previously posted, and the completely unarmoured light cavalry posted previously.

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Nice to see these, I've got a block of 15 in my army, they have an old school charm while being strangely top heavy on their unarmoured mounts. I like the standard bearer - I (possibly incorrectly) used that model as my musician but that pose looks nice.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
Ahh, always love to see especially those guys riding to war. Always wanted them, but when they were available without looking on eBay and stuff, I hadn't had enough money to afford them. Now I have way too much cavalry to add them, but it always like the spirit of those lovely models.
Barding would be cool, but I'd prefer some kind of clothing like the the hexies' mounts got. Would fit the clothing of the riders better.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
xD Yeah, I know, beeing smartass about what could've been done is pretty lame xD sorry. Seems it's my turn on a round in the Captain Obvious suit.

...or was that a serious question all along? In that case, I personally think it is possible, but maybe a very annoying and unrewarding work in the end...

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
While I dislike the models precisely for being so top-heavy, your warm painting makes them look superb! All the hues on the horses are a very cool idea :)

Apr 13, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
...or was that a serious question all along? In that case, I personally think it is possible, but maybe a very annoying and unrewarding work in the end...

It was serious. I had thought about it, but had inititally not wanted to put too much time into hem. But now that I see them painted, I feel like they might look better with at least a little extra time put 8nto making some ragged caparisons. I'm pretty sure I could do it without screwing up the painting.

While I dislike the models precisely for being so top-heavy, your warm painting makes them look superb! All the hues on the horses are a very cool idea :)

I never liked these figures, nor the wights on foot below. (Old pic is Photobucketed, may as welll start reposting.) I've usually preferred either the oldschool GW undead, or the newer stuff (which I think is their best range of recent figures!) But after getting both of these "middlehammer" units & painting them up, they've grown on me.

4thwgt01.jpg

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
I wanted to look at your older pics, but they are photobucket's victims, unfortunately :( Style of those wights reminds me of minis used around the turn of the century - am I right in that approximation? I'm curious, how 'old' is 'old'school according to your definition? :)

Apr 13, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
I was thinking about posting a bunch of the old pics using a different host. Not individually, butsort of like a "what has gone before..." reference.

Roughly, I guess I would consider '70s-'80s old.

Apr 13, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks!

I've still had some unfinished Nightmare Legion minis hanging around. I'm leaning towards playing Undead for my first KoW tournament, in Nov., so thought I would (very!) quickly finish painting them. I will have to pull out the ones that were previously paited, but I'm hoping I can field a horde. If not, I would like to pick up a few more. For the moment, though, I will just infill up to 40 strong with other skeletons.

20171007_141505.jpg

Adam_Barrow

Sleepless Knight
True Blood
Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
KoW forever! I had a blast with Undead at my first tournament. Shame GW didn't make more mounted Necromancers. They would really come in handy. Glad to hear you're playing!

Apr 13, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
They seem like a fun army from my limited experience, and I really enjoy the game. Totally agree -- not just GW, but everyone. Where are the mounted necros?? I'm thinking about trying to get one of these for a mounted necromancer:

http://www.gamezoneminiatures.com/tienda/es/imperio/65-venerable-taumaturgo.html

venerable-taumaturgo.jpg

Also open to other suggestions. I don't care for the oldschool GW one, with the big cheesy disco collar. ;)

Working on some odds & ends... Individual or small groups (2-3) of figures to finish off batches of minis or fill out units for KoW.

soae01.jpg

Finished the orc skeleton for my non-human skeletons, an old (mid?) school wight, and an old RP mini that will also be going in with the wights. I figure it looks like an undead knight, with the right paint job.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu