• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
Ok, I'll try to emulate the great blogs of VC's here, which is gonna be my very first time to start something like this.

I "play" warhammer since I was a little zombie, freshly raised from my coffin. First warhammer box I ever bought was the old, very old 40k Khorne berserkers, and I thought "Woaaah look at these badass jetpacks they're wearing!"...yeah...skipping this :innocent: .

After that my way led very quick to whfb, and to the undead.
Times were cool when we had skull catapults and archer-skellies...
I never played at tournaments or big shops, me a couple of friends played against each other with changing armies.
I like the painting and modelling part more than the playing (which I like too, but less than the other parts of the hobby). My biggest failure in this time was that I never had enough patience to practice the pro ways of painting, so my models don't look even combaratively to the biggest parts of pics that are posted here. Awesome stuff guys, I love all of it!

Enough, let's come to my army...
It's (like some of you might know this :P )in a state of repainting, new modelling and so on.

I have set a self-imposed stop of purchasing, cause I have the mad idea of finishing what I have! Mahahaha! ...this will never work, right? :rolleyes:

The troops I command are:

- Shake dat bones: About 100 Skellies
- Braindead but happy: 50 Zombies
- Something in the mists: 15 Dire wolves
- 'Are you going to eat that?': 10 Ghouls
- 'those graves are boring': 20 Grave guards
- I see a red knight and I want to paint it black: 15 Black knights
- :ghost: : 5 Spirit host
- Go for a ride: 1 Black coach
- Go for a strange smelling ride: 1 Corpse cart
- I can't believe this a word: 1 Varghulf
- All good things come from above: 3 Vargheists
- Memento Mori: 5 Hexwraiths
- 'Nice view from up here': 1 Mortis engine
- 'Nicer view from up HERE': 1 Zombie dragon
- Scream baby scream: 2x Cairne wraiths & 2 Banshees

Ye, I think that is all for the moment..unitfillers aren't listed :)
I don't have a overall theme, the army is part inspired by Bretonia and Imperial army (BK and zombies), glowing green and blue, earthy, ...all those things you see here in the dark art section give me inspiration. I will post pictures in the next days, when I think the biggest part is presentable:thumbsup:

Reactions: Dragonet

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany
RE: Thirteen shades of black - Attempting to start an army blog

I realized I forgot to list my characters..
short version: A bunch of vampires, necromancers and wight kings. Sensational! :happy:

A few things I'm trying to finish at the moment (the unitfillers participate in Santa's pledge of the month)

Zombie unitfiller
P1020175_zps125e6529.jpg

Skellie unitfiller
P1020176_zps7e9f9ac8.jpg

P1020180_zps8e62f71e.jpg

Coffin lid infantry (there are about 10, I hope I find the time to add 10 more cause I love this coffin lid - shield thing!)
P1020173_zpsdcc05625.jpg

Cairne wraiths
2013-03-12171506_zpsded5a4cd.jpg

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany

Thanks (:

This one was build up years ago, I will repaint him in the coming weeks to act as BK standard bearer or BSB

DSC01776_zpsed3a6ee1.jpg

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming

Your vampire is not one for clean skeletons eh, they look realistic with the dirt clinging to them aswell as the grass. Talk about freshly risen.

Love the two wraith's they scythes are so beautiful,

The blood on the sword is eh not my tastes

Here is some blood tutorials if your intrested.

blood how to

Blood and gore

Blood effect

It isnt wrong how you did yours Just helping where I can if you dont mind.

Melle

Sir Larpsalot, champion of larpers
True Blood
Apr 7, 2012
Sweden

i like your fillers, dynamic.
and yup, lid shield are the bestest :thumbsup:

Archean

Ghoul
Sep 16, 2011

Yeh dude, the wraiths are up to scratch, really nice. Love the unit names, keep plugging away on this I feel it could all come together nicely.

Archean

Ghoul
Sep 16, 2011

Yeh dude, the wraiths are up to scratch, really nice. Love the unit names, keep plugging away on this I feel it could all come together nicely.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany

@Santa Thank you, constructive criticism is always welcome! (: I'll have a look (and more ;) ) to the blood tutorials, as said the standard bearer is painted very long ago, in a time I was mucuh younger and weapons had to be bloody for badassery! xD I'm looking forward to repaint him :)

@Melle The biggest bestestest, they are! xD Unfortunately they don't match with GGs (or I didn't see it in a matching way yet), I think the principle of super hard not-to-be-pwnd boney knights would be supported with giant lid shields :D

@Archean (and of course the others too!) thanks a lot guys, words like those push self-confidence a lot, even more if they come from the people who paint the awesome stuff I see here every day :thumbsup:

BloodbathMcGrath

The Butcher of New Liberty
Sep 9, 2012
Joliet, Illinois

A nice take on undead! Very dirty and muddy, but still a good amount of character. A cool unit filler and I love the way you did the coffin lids. Very earthy and dirty like they just dragged themselves out from their graves.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany

Thanks Bloodbath (: the coffin lids are extremely easy to make, all you need is thin wood (in some stores [at least here in germany] they sell cheese or fruits in this thin wooden nest..things..:P ), cut the form of the lid with a sharp knife -> shading it with thinned brown or ink/wash/shade of your like -> glue some of this brown-green grass stuff (sorry, I have absolutely no idea how it is called, and I'm progressive drunk :D )

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming

Balsa wood also makes great shields if your in the states.

BloodbathMcGrath

Sep 9, 2012
Joliet, Illinois

Santawraith said:
Balsa wood also makes great shields if your in the states.

LOL my local store suggests balsa wood for eeeevvvuuuhhheeeerrryyyyttthhhiiinnngggg. I see a pattern coming along ;) Also good for fences and stuff, I need to start toying around with it!

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming

Personally I use old sprue's to make fences or woodens spikes in ground.

I have old gw coffin sheilds myself.

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany

Balsa could be the word that I was looking for when I tried to describe the wood yesterday xD Thanks for reminding me :thumbsup:

Feb 28, 2013
Vanhaldenschlosse

This was a fun little blog to read, keep the posts coming! And don't be so hard on yourself: your army looks awesome! I love your creativity! :vampire3:

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany

So, due to the updates of all the great armys here, I will show some new work too.

First of all, I have finally chosen a name for my army. *drum roll* the Impaled Heart, the forces of Countess Lysilla von Carstein.
The Impaled Heart is the symbol of the lost and beloved family of Lysilla, due to the efforts of witch hunters and the forces of order.
(I hope I'll be able to weave a story about her, and at last manage to translate it into english... :rolleyes: )

At the moment, I'm working on my ASB, (I have not decided if it will be a wight king or a vampire..I like the wight king principle better, but if you have good suggestions for me..I'll be glad to hear them (: ). The standard is made of miliput, it's 4 cm in width and about 6cm high..I have drawn a few ideas, the final result will be a mixture of the three coloured banners.
banner_zps54a1686b.png

Then, I repainted my years-ago-created wight king / black knight standard bearer. I tried to give the banner a little bit of the "banner of the barrens" look (in the german armybook it is described as -free translated :D - "appearing in the shape of screaming skulls"..and I LOVE green glowing things! xD His name will be Lokhi Razwind, harbinger of the Impaled Heart! Pure Evilness! Mwaharharahaha!

BEFORE AFTER
wightking_zps07acfaf3.png

And his trusted steed, Dorn
P1020275_zpsb8ad9bf4.jpg

Finally, I'm making progress with my skellies, and that brought me to rethink all my banners. The plan is now, to paint them all in a similar way, representing the colors black/red, and the type of weapon and unit they belong to, like it was in real medieval armys. First attempt to go this way:
P1020273_zpsc8101df3.jpg

And, to introduce a freshly reanimated part of the Impaled Heart:
Big ghoulbro is watching you - Crypt horrors (No pics yet, for they are just primed and the last one isn't even glued :P )

Hope you have a look and comment my progress :thumbsup: -> Now I'm updating the Varghulf!

Santawraith

Master Liche
True Blood
Jun 6, 2010
Wyoming

Nice banners buddy, my skulls always turn out funnny it is nice seeing your freehand look so good.

Aren

Crypt Horror
Sep 22, 2010

Hey, amazing freehand and....

YOU HAVE THE SAME SPEAKERS AS I DO EVEN THOUGH WE ARE IN TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES, 1000s OF KMs APART!!!!!!

Archean

Ghoul
Sep 16, 2011

Love the green skull banner!

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany

Thanks, I like how the banner came out, one of my best so far :)

@Aren -> The world is a very small village :)

benvoliothefirst

Grave Guard
Nov 22, 2011

I'm very excited to watch your progress. As others have said, your unit names are very fun. I really like the mix of old and new skeleton/zombies sprues you've used on your unit fillers. Reminds me of when I got into the hobby.

I think your painting looks great, especially those cairn wraiths. Don't be so hard on yourself, you can always do what I do: tell people it's a "placeholder" paint job to play with until you can redo it with a "competition" paint job. Works every time, mwa-ha-ha!

BloodbathMcGrath

Sep 9, 2012
Joliet, Illinois

I like the skull on the skeleton banner, and your green banner of spectral skulls looks fantastic! Very good art work and free-handing skills. :thumbsup:

Theerteen

Cheerful Cranium
True Blood
Aug 20, 2012
Germany

Thanks again (: I love the freehand stuff, and still trying to get it better. And to be honest, I don't have any idea what other methods there are..except printing them, which can be awesome too of course. Are there more and could someone link an example?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu