• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

TVC - Chapter 48 - The Altdorf Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
-"I've little to object with, assuming that we can trust these good intentions left behind by mistress Lesa. I still say we go ahead with this though, that way we'll at least be en route somewhere. Now if you'll excuse me, I wish to go and get changed back to my usual state." said Helena before turning Ashlotte around and leaving the others.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
It was a few days later and the Duke stood at the prow of the ship as it drew into Nuln. By all accounts it was a normal looking vessel, functional and plain looking. The fact they they had sailed into the heart of the great city was surprising though the Duke mused.

Between the vampires on board there was a potent enough force to wreak havoc, and considering the size of the vessel he could have brought a small army. That the humans did not carry out indepth checks was a severe oversight on their part, and one that could one day lead to their destruction.

However that was not the reason for their visit, and now they were here it was time to get to the more important business at hand. Turning round he walked back down the ship, and then down the stairs, before reaching a modest stateroom beneath. The vampires had taken it over as their as a place to discuss, and as he walked in he saw Helena already waiting. Victarias and Vekarin were still absent, and merely the thought of what they might be upto send a surge of jealousy through the Duke. His face flickered as he composed himself, before addressing Helena.

"Well milady we are here, " he said, "do you know where we should go now? Are there any haunts that our kind would go to?"

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
Helena, now back to her ethereal shape, turned to the Duke. "I'm afraid that I've little familiarity with the usual night-life of this city.", she said. "However, our presence here will unknowingly be masked by the presence of the Colleges of Magic, so as long as we do not cause a public ruccus we'll be quite safe to move about our business."

She paused briefly before continuing. "Did those who travelled to Altdorf ever reveal to you where they were going? The same masking that suppresses our own arcane aura can make it troublesome to locate our fellow Council Members. If we need a safe place to go I will gladly offer you all a stay at my home."

Geralt ran through the streets, dragging the spluttering priest with him. He barely slowed as he burst into the inn.

Igor looked up distastfully.

"I take it your with the von Krahe party," he stated in a matter of fact way.

The witcher nodded, it was all he could do in response as he was still trying to gulp in air. Igor pointed to the backroom with a finger that had clearly been re-attached several times.

Upon entering the backroom, Geralt was greeted by the Council in hot debate. As usual.

Peter saw the witcher'sentrance as a chance to move the discussion on.

"Well done my friend," he said to the mortal, "I take it you managed to seize the follower of the man-god without too much difficulty. Lord Todd, I shall leave him in your more than capable hands."

With this, Todd grapped the dazed priest and pulled him into a side room. A half hour of ear piercing screams later, the Strigoi emerged, drenched in blood.

"Jason and your wife are being held deep in the Vaults of the Temple, near where the priest keep the tainted magical items they seize from the creatures of darkness," Todd explained, "To reach their prison, we must look behind the large tapestary of Sigmar's Victory at Blackfire Pass. Behind this is a stair that will take as straight to the Vault."

"Thank-you Lord Todd for your help," said the Blood Dragon with a nod of gratitude.

"One more thing," added Todd, "With his last breath, the priest muttered something about new blessings that had been placed on the Cathedral. I do not know what he meant however."

Lucia sighed.

"My Lord, we are being held far below the ground, in the most holy place in the Empire. I doubt even Peter's new, powerful friends will be able to help us here."

Gree

Master Vampire
True Blood
''New blessings?'' Seprino asked, after being quiet for some time. ''He said nothing else?''

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
"Oh and Peter, could you refrain from using necromancy this time round? I think the zombies in the ballroom was a dead giveaway." He went on to describe the servants he murdered whilst escaping from that fiasco and the star of Chaos Undivided he daubed on a wall, whilst pointedly ignoring Vaskatchi sneering at Markus with no small amount of distaste for such folly.

"I can only hope that the Chaos icon will throw them off the scent. If it comes down to it I suggest we do something similar so as keep Imperial authorities' attentions from the Council."

Master bates sat in his quarters for around an hour contemplating the situation he faced the face that there was a vampire with which he could use to be come immortal tormented him he craved immortality like a drug. But if he reached out for it he would be dammed and hanged like a criminal. he looked out into the coming night and sighed.

'To be immortal is to have what you want forever anything you want'
He thought to himself as he drifted off to sleep.

Vaskatchi stood a small smile ran across his face as he spoke.
"Well at least now we know what we are dealing with these holy symbols will be a small test of strength for us and i surmise that Jason should be fine for the time being now can we come to a decision on a plan of attack does everyone know what the plan is? or have any suggestions other than walk right into the temple?"

OOC: Sorry about spelling had to write it quickly!

"Of course Lord Todd, it was foolish of me to act in such a way," said Peter, before turning to Vaskatchi with a wry smile.

"My friend, that is exactly what my plan was. We have enough disguises for those I have chosen to accompany me on the raid. The followers of the Man-God have grown arrogant. They will not expect us to walk in the front door. Then we will find the Vault, and hopefully our friends."

"Then lets get to it then shall we?" Harrindir said before he walked over to the doorway.

As Master bates slept Jason looked to Lucias, a yellow glow was cast in his feral eyes unnerved her for a moment.
"Don't be so negative my dear, it rarely suits ladies of your stature at the best of times. All you need do is trust in Peter, I have work to do here first and I can feel that they... and the council have already arrived. The air is a hum with life, it is almost Geheimnisnacht after all." He flashed a smile at her before he looked upwards. he could feel the moons presence even now, and he felt its green glow wash over him like some warm breeze.

Meanwhile as Jason spoke, his mind was at work. Worming its way into Master Bates head and into his dreams. Where he grasped hold on the mans fragile mind. His presence there was strong and Bates felt the true horror of Nightwere twist through him. The energy was ecstatic and it felt as if his soul was burning as he Gazed into the fiery eyes of The daemon of the shade.
"Greetings mortal." Jason said his voice reverberating through bates like a drum. Bates managed to stutter out a sentence as he was caught into Nightwere's eyes there fire burning his insides.
"Wha..what."
"Be silent. I have a task for you. Do it and you may live, refuse and well... forget death, for There shall be no rest for your pathetic soul, and morrs judgment will be like a thousand blessings by the time I am done. Now there is, within these walls a book of ancient and priceless worth. A book I want returned to me, Immediately." Jason cast out his talon's. As an image burned itself into Bates blind eye. It was excruciating, and when he was done Jason vanished as Bates leaped from his bed grasping at his mutilated eye the picture of a book burned into it as he felt a terrible doom envelop his soul.

Simon von Carstein

The Poetic Fiend
True Blood
The moon of Morrslieb now closer to the world than it had ever been loomed over the city as night fell. Though many had by then retired for the night the city never truly slept. The taverns remained open for business and the whores continued to ply their trade with potential clients whilst the city watch looked on.

Away from the hustle and bustle lay the river Reik. The lifeline of Altdorf dirty and polluted. Flowing calmly until a hand broke the surface closely followed by an arm and then the rest of the body. A figure slowly crawled from the waters and slowly and with difficulty clambered to its feet on the shore. Moving stiffly dragging its left leg along it began to stumble along the shore groping like a blind man as it made its way into the city.

After about an hour of preperation, the raiders were once again stood outside the Temple of Sigmar. Those who were to enter the Cathedral itself had put on the stolen priests' robes. THe sun was just setting over the rooftops, the darkness granting the Vampires much neeed strength.

Peter turned to the group who were to aid in their escape.

"My friends, I need you to hide yourselfs along this street. You must keep the door to the Temple open at all costs. It is likely that some body will try to some the guards to prevent us succeeding."

As the raiders strode across to the Temple he turned and added, "And try not to reveal our nature to the general public."

Peter's chosen walked through the great door of the Cathedral and into the great hall of worship. Holy inscence was burning all around the room. As they strode towards the back of the hall where they could see the tapestry they were searching for, Peter realised that he could no longer feel the winds of magic blowing around him.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
"Milord,"Aubervillier interrupted from behind them both. Turning round the Duke looked at his son, noticing that his eyes were not on his liege, but on the ghostly form of Helena. As she turned round Auberviller could not hide the smile that crept across his face.

"It is a pleasure to see you again Milady," he said. He had been tasked with keeping security on the ship, and as he knew of his fathers expectations it had meant he had not had time to speak to Helena since the ball. The Duke's eyes flickered from Helena to Aubervillier, half in amusement, half in impatience. It was as plain as the moon that his son was infatuated, however it was also clear that the feelings were not returned.

"I assume there was a reason you interrupted us?" the Duke asked, finally reaching the end of his patience.
"Ah yes.....apologies milord. I have been speaking to the crew and it seems they are aware of a bar that our kind frequent. It is quite.....shall we say underground. However it is most likely where the other Council members would have gone if they were looking for information. The captain used to pick up things from the bar in the past, he said someone named "Igor" would be able to help us."
"Excellent, then we have a place to start," the Duke said firmly, "the only question is what to do with the lizard creatures?"]

"They are not creatures," a booming voice interrupted them, contempt laced with something that couldn't quite be place. Looking further down the deck the Duke saw Vekarin and Victarias approaching. The two have been absent during the entire voyage, not engaging in the discussions or planning, though the Duke had heard rumours of disagreements with them. What about was a mystery, and all his requests at an audience with Victarias had been met with polite but firm refusal. In truth he had been hurt, hoping that the ball had brought them closer somehow. Even now has she caught his eyes, she held them only for a moment before glancing away.

"They are the chosen of the Slann. Beings of immense intelligence from Lustria, and should be treated with respect," Vekarin spoke once more, jarring the Duke out of his thoughts of Victarias.

"That is your own choice," the Duke replied coolly, "I will treat them as I see fit. Respect is earned, not given. You once were taught that lesson the same as I."

"I have learned many things since then," Vekarin replied ambiguously, " Which ever course of action we decide, they of course cannot walk around the city." Again it seemed to the Duke there was a tone in his brother's voice, as if he was mocking him, but no one else seemed to notice it. Perhaps it was just his own jealousy over Victarias but......"Perhaps they can be housed at Helena's home?"

Gree

Master Vampire
True Blood
Serpino cast back the great cloak that obscured his fine features. He was pleased, the sun would have burnt away his flesh-suit and left his true, ugly self to the unworthy world. But now he could operate fine.

But he frowned when he entered the Temple, he was a mage primarily, without the winds of magic he suffered a major disadvantage. That was certainly not good and he was feeling quite irritated at Peter.

But alas, not all was lost, he ran his hand over the handguns he still carried on his person, he was hardly defenseless even without the winds of magic ot manipulate and wield as a weapon.

‘’Of course,’’ he said, in response to Peter’s question. ‘’Subtlety is always the best option.’’

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
-"Certainly, I will be able to accomodate our special guests at my quarters, but I trust that we've got some means for communicating with them? I'd rather not have them unleash their animalistic tendencies around my home in protest. If it is necessary I could deposit Ashlotte there as well to keep an eye on them."

Helena then caught Aubervillier's glances at her and answered them with a slight smile before continuing. "Speaking of communicating with the Lizardmen,", she said, "do we actually have any knowledge on why they're even here in the first place? Finding Lustrian creatures in this part of the world is not a common occurance, to say the least."

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
"One of them was originally created to annihilate our kind. However he has seen the Nagash poses the greater threat, and for the current time is fighting alongside us. The other is somehow a vampire itself, though how this came to be I do not know," Vekarin answered.

"Well as you seem to have some manner of understanding them, perhaps it would be best if you accompanied them to Lady Helena's resident," the Duke said, his manner cool though underneath he was hoping to be rid of his brother for a while, "as with that....magical plate, you hardly blend it at any rate."

Vekarin looked at the Duke for a moment, the fiery slits in his helmet seeming to read the Duke's mind. However after a moment he nodded his head.
"Yes that would be the most prudent course of action. At least I have the strength to stop them if necessary. However in my stead Victarias will accompany you."

Struggling to keep the smile off his face at the words the Duke simply nodded,
"If you think that best," he said, before turning to Helena, "what of you Lady? You know this place best, yet in your current state you would certainly stand out. Perhaps it would be best if you accompanied Vek-"

"Perhaps Ashlotte could be used once more-" Aubervillier voice suddenly cut in. Turning round the Duke fixed him with a glare, opening his mouth to rebuke his insolent son. Hurriedly Auberviller spoke again,
"I do not mean to be rude. I simply meant that our task would be a lot easier with someone who knows this city, and Lady Helena seems to know the most out of all of us." Though his words sounded professional, it was plainly clear to the Duke that his son wanted to spend more time with the ethereal vampire, and after a moment he shook his head before looking at Helena,
"Does that stand good with you?"

MasterSpark

Nostalgian
Staff member
True Blood
"I certainly intend to go with you.", Helena replied to the Duke. "It's quite possible for me to travel the town as I am right now, with humans being as easily fooled as they are. I intend to deposit Ashlotte at my home to further keep an eye on things.", she said, turning towards Vekarin before continuing, "I don't mean to slight your martial prowess lord Banespike, but the Lustrians are two and you are only one. I can't say how much you'll enjoy the stay at my residence, but my library is quite extensive and at your fullest disposal. There's also a rather likeable group of phantom musicians to entertain your ears if you still have a taste for such things."

wraith

Skeleton
Markus stood across from the temple in a long dark cloak in the mouth of an alley watching and waiting for any signs of ill. He recounted the events that had led him here and knew that somehow Jason knew it would happen, Markus had always held a high deal of respect for his dark father but his brother had caused his ire to burn.
Any who would try to halt the escape he knew he would destroy, he would prove that his age ment others would look down on him but he would prove himself.

He felt a familar dark magic flow through the town and wraith whispered in his mind, more vampires had come to altdorf.

Evanm7

Grave Guard
Rick quickly sprinted through the gate, then slowed down.
"Now that we're in here, any idea where Jason and your wife are?" He muttered to Peter. Then, as Rick entered the gate, a sudden drain of energy hit him.

Rick realized that he could no longer touch the winds of magic. 'Damnit' he thought, and pulled his mind away from leeching on Dhar and onto the blood inside himself. Rick's walk became even once more as power surged into the Moonbeam, fueling him.
"Is that just me, or are the winds non-existant in here?

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
"No, it's not just you." Mrs. Lovette said softly as she spoke up for the first time since arriving in Altdorf. Normally she could summon a spark of balefire forth as and when she wished, but mocking emptiness dwelled about her clutches instead. Fortunately she had managed to pack in a few of her meatpies, whose magical effects were independent of the ebb and flow of the sorcerous tides. Only Geralt, who had taken point and was approaching the tapestry which concealed the entrance to the vaults, seemed to be unaffected. In fact, if he hadn't heard what they were saying he would have had no idea of any such effect.

"This must be the effect of the new blessings the priest spoke of," Peter said thoughtfully. By now the small group of companions had reached the tapestry.

"Rick, our allies are being held in the Vaults below. Although the Winds of Magic do not flow here, those of us with Witchsight will be able to pick up the Dhar that resides in their bodies."

Peter did not mention that if the Vault where they were being held was protected by the same blessings, it was unlikely that they would be able detect the Vampires.

Peter drew back the tapestry and the Vampires all quickly ducked through the openning behind it. None of them noticed the almost invisible cord snap as they walked through the door way.

The cord was linked to the cathedral guard room. There, a small bell rang. Fifty Templars of Sigmar silently gathered up their weapons. Each was armed with a longsword blessed by Sigmar and a pistol bow that fired bolts tipped with silver.

The Templars marched down the street and into the Temple's main gate. Five of them remained outside, and the rest entered the Cathedral to hunt down the foul intruders.

Evanm7

Grave Guard
"Damnit!" Rick whispered. "That. Was. Not. In. The. Plan." Rick darted back to the tapestry and peered through it. "We're safe." Rick said to his fellow raiders, then set off down the corridor, looking for any more traps.

Peter, spun around and looked back behind him. He could see the Templars faning out to search the building.

"Bugger," he stated before rushing down the stairs, urging the others to follow. At the bottom, they entered a long corridor. Peter focussed for a moment. He couldn' sense the others. Then, like a fluttering candle on the darkest of nights, he picked up a spark of Dhar.

"This way," he whispered, and they hurried along the hallway. They came to a heavy oak door bound with sheets of a shining metal. Peter placed his hand on the door to push it open, but he felt a burning pain in his palm.

"Silver," he spat before turning to Geralt. The mortal tried the door, but it was firmly locked.

"Scientist, perhaps one of your devices could allow us to gain entry?"

wraith

Skeleton
Markus facepalmed himself /they were in there all of two minutes/ he thought as he resided to the fact that he would have to fight these Templars. He walked out of the sahdow and up to who looked like the lead templar " so what's the problem? I've never seen armed guys like yourselves outside the temple."

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
In response to Peter's questions Geralt took out a miniature vase-like object marked with warning symbols on its surface.

"This will do the job, if you don't mind waking half of Altdorf in the process." Before he could say any more though, Mrs. Lovette cut in

"I'll stay behind to deal with the guards. Could use a breath of fresh Dhar." She said, though she failed to mention she was also sick of constantly hitching up her dress. Before a quizzical Todd could cut in, she took a hearty and very unfeminine bite out of one of her meat pies as she turned away with skirts swishing. The shielded shard of warpstone she took out next vibrated by itself in the total void of the winds of magic, like a forest with only one bird chirping. That, coupled with the magical essence she had just ingested, allowed her to summon forth the power of Ulgu. Even as she stalked away, her figure became swathed in thick shadows that rendered her invisible. Todd could not help but worry though, and a razor flew into his hand involuntarily. If she had any trouble holding the guards off no doubt he would be the first to rush to her rescue.

Turning back to the door that barred their way, Geralt drew the Rune Sihill from behind his back and rolled up his sleeves.

"I'm not a stickler for traditions, but maybe we should do this the old-fashioned way." Geralt smiled sardonically as he raised his hand...

As Markus approached the apparent Templar leader outside the Cathedral, a figure watched him from the shadows. The diminutive silhouette of a boy in a billboard wielding a pair of long knives silently slithered ever so slowly closer, waiting for the right opportunity to strike...

As the Templars began to move through the hallway, they became aware of a woman, speaking little louder than a whisper. Projected by a vestigial tendril of magic, this female voice came from all about, making it impossible to tell where she was exactly.

"The very deep did rot : O Lord!
That ever this should be!
Yea, slimy things did crawl with legs
Upon the slimy sea."

About, about, in reel and rout
The death-fires danced at night;
The water, like a witch's oils,
Burnt green, and blue and white."

And on she went with her recital, her voice no louder than a conspiratorial whisper yet audible to all in the entry hall. Such a poem, heard in such circumstances on no less a night than Geheimisnacht itself brought an involuntary chill to the spines of the Sigmarite Templars. More importantly, it distracted them as they turned their attention to finding Mrs. Lovette instead.

Gree

Master Vampire
True Blood
Serpino ignored the poem the woman was doing, and fished into his bag for something. Grasping around, he found a small, silver object quickly and pulled it out of his bag.

''Yes, I have just the thing, everyone step back kindly'' he said sardonicly.

The Necrach tossed the silver spheare at the door, ti stuck to the silver side. Quickly it glowed purple, then exploded with the force of the magicly-enhanced bomb inside of it. The blast was quite small, just enough to blow the door, as expected of Serpino's craftmanship.

Status
Not open for further replies.