Undead Demigryph

  • The masquerade of murder returns! A new game of Vampires Amongst Us has begun. Unmask the killers, trust no one, and try to survive the night. Find out more and sign up now!

John Rainbow

Crypt Horror
Mar 7, 2013
596
PA, USA
Zombies
307
I'm wondering if anyone has done undead demigryphs? Or if anyone has seen any appropriate substitutes/conversions knocking around the interwebs? Thanks JR
 
I really like the idea. Would make a cool counts-as something or other, maybe an Abyssal Terror (tell your friends it levitates all ghost-like). I was thinking the Island of Blood gryphon rider would be a cool conversion without the wings! Would definitely cost less!
 
It's a cool idea however you don't really have any suitable parts to use in converting them so you are pretty reliant on your ability to hack apart and greenstuff the demigryph models. I haven't seen it done but it doesn't sound too difficult if you are ok at making gore with greenstuff (plenty of tutorials for that) and they could easily be used for crypt horrors or the like in game terms
 
Thanks for the suggestions guys. That was more or less what I was thinking I might have to do... I'm ok with greenstuff and more than happy to learn, I just wondered if there were any cool ideas that people had seen already (and that I could rip off) but I guess not. I'm actually making an Undead Empire/Bret army and am in need of some Demi's!
 
If it were me I would probably just hollow out the eye sockets and focus on a sppoky paint job. You could do it all bloodstained if you want or give it a pallid spectral appearance.

The models really are terrific and your paint job could bring out all the best textures and details in a new, darker way.

You could make other slight changes to enhance the details that are already there, like scratching up or pitting the armor plates with an exacto knife.

I feel you have a lot more freedom with the riders. It's a lot easier to swap the head out on a rider and achieve an instant undead look vs. heavy conversion work making the mount's head skeletal or stripped of flesh.
 
Barn Owl said:
I feel you have a lot more freedom with the riders. It's a lot easier to swap the head out on a rider and achieve an instant undead look vs. heavy conversion work making the mount's head skeletal or stripped of flesh.
Very true but I might try and go to town on them if I can :)
 
Sorru for the threadnomancy (or am I).

But it popped into my head to chuck my blood dragon lord on a demigryph so I went searching and found this thread. Could you just use the demi as a barded nightmare and fluff wise some of the attacks from the vamp lord are the demigryph attacking?
 
@Trans Pretty big base size difference there. It'd probably feel klunky. But I like big hacked to Hell monsters, so I'd like to see the model you come up with.
 
Well,

Got the demigryph and am currently working on it, thus far I must say, size wise I'm not overly impressed. It is honestly maybe a tad broader, but shorter than the blood knights. Those GGs are hucking fuge, so I don't think basing or size will be an issue. to the point I'll need to have the demigrpyh on a little bit of a scenic base so it's at the same height!

Cheers,
TheTrans
 
Hey Trans,

i know its been over a week since you got your demigryph however i plan to use the same model as a basis for a Hellsteed conversion. i plan to remove any flesh below what would be the rib cage and green stuff gore and rotting organs held together by strands of flesh, also taking a large drill bit to the rest of the model to make large holes to allow for input of green stuff to create the look of musculature under rotted skin (or green stuff muscle fiber directly onto the model however this may make it look odd with scaling). the head is one of the chaos knight heads (one with no marks of chaos preferably) and the wings from the vargheists. also green stuffing the flames and such that emanate from the creature.

hope yours comes out well
 
I got some Demigryphs to use as Necropolis Knights. I'm going to be painting mine an eerie green with black armour, maybe blood dripping from the eyes and mouths. But they're WAAAAAAAAAAAAY down the priority list. Currently focusing on my Lizards.
 
Apologies all must of popped the pic up in another one, here you go.

20140907_174713.webp


I ended up using him as a varghulf to better suit my Blood Dragon based army. Also FYI, Blood Knight horses are taller than Demigryphs haha...
 
Last edited:
Pic doesn't show it off well, the other side has it's rib cage sticking out aswell as tendons on its back leg out in the wind. My reasoning behind it was it to be similar to the Nightmare the blood knights are on as opposed to a rotting zombie like carcass...
 
Pic doesn't show it off well, the other side has it's rib cage sticking out aswell as tendons on its back leg out in the wind. My reasoning behind it was it to be similar to the Nightmare the blood knights are on as opposed to a rotting zombie like carcass...
I didn't mean to take anything away from your model. It looks awesome!
 

About us

  • Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu