• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
That is really interesting Sanai, and very informative. Nice post!

I agree with your comments in regards to their arms being their wings. Perhaps their weapon could be used in some other way rather than holding them? If we are going to use they idea that they emit a sound to activate the weapon, maybe it doesn't need to be held at all?

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
They could always hold them in their graspers when firing, and have them hanging on a strap when moving/flying.
Alternitavely, some kind of mounting behind their hand on the bony part of the wing, or maybe a shoudler mounting or a sonic blasting helmet/attachment (a direct echolocation enhancer?)

A Shoulder mounted weapon would make a certain sense, as it allows them to defend themselves while flying. I don't think a helmet would be practical, as I doubt that the fiends are technologically advanced enough to create such technology and still have full freedom of flight, as I imagine this weapon would be heavy enought to cause discomfort on the head.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
I am confused, we keep talking about nanotech and shields in one sentence, then in the next people are saying this race is technologically retarded.......
Also, on Meir Lenks comments about a flyer being physically weak, that would not be the case in my opinion.
Bird bones, while being hollow and light, are actually quite strong, and physical strength comes from muscle, not bone. A roughly man sized flyer would require very powerful muscles to propel those wings. When not in flight, well looky, your arms/wings have these bigass muscles that are now free to pummel someone into the ground.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Things seem to have gone confused in regards to the Cythor’s. So here is what we have agreed on in a nutshell:

Warlike race
Has wings – batlike etc
Uses echolocation to see – they can also transmit soundwaves at other frequencies
Physically strong – hit hard as they have a wiry strength
In return they are weak defensively
Have claws they are extremely strong – developed over years of clinging to rocks and ceilings. These can puncture armour quite easily.
They are quite intelligent, good tactically etc
Technology wise they are not as advanced as the Chiro’s. They have their own basic tech and sonic weapons, but out of pride they have been reluctant to incorporate the more advanced Chiro designs.
In battle the let loose fully, not holding back anything. This means they come across as mindless rampaging monsters, whereas in fact they are not. They are just very vicious.
However they do have a sense of honour between themselves, like a band of brothers, and will avenge any who would hurt one of their own. They also have ritualistic challenges etc between themselves, rites of passage etc.

Hope that helps……

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
Mar 9, 2008
Singapore
One thing(though I'm not exactly sure this belongs here). The Warp and the Cythor: how do they relate to each other? Do the Cythor have zero psychic ability(like the Tau)? Do they have some potential like the human race? What would it be?

Meier Lenk

Black Knight
Aug 29, 2008
manchester
i would tend to agree with DoN, the warp should be (functionally speaking) irrelevant to the cythor. without going into the wierd soul-metaphysics of 40k to far i think fluff wise they should have some slight warp-presence, unless we are going to make them total blanks like pariah's or the tau.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
I don't think the tau are total blanks, not in the same way pariah's and culexus assasins are, because those warp voids send psychers insane.

dougan_2

Zombie
Jun 14, 2009
RE: Physiology Of a Fiend

Disciple of Nagash said:
As Morbraelle says, they can emit sounds to use echolocation. They then found a certain frequency they can emit can cause the crystals to discharge.

I imagine them to be a lot less advanced that the Chiro's, but they are innately intelligent. Thus they we able to fashion this into a weapon which fired a short ranged sonic burst.

Err certain frequency they can emit can cause the crystals to discharge sounds extremely like kroot to me, they have crystals on the end of their guns dont they? And i know they use a frequency type of thing to fire sonic blasts, also they have wings, can pack a punch but weak in return. Yeah sounded familiar to what we are creating over this end?

Count Erick

Wight King
Dec 28, 2008
As for where their weapons are mounted, the Loxatl, an amphibious mercenary race, are completely quadrupedal, but have weapons mounted mechanical arms located on their torsos which are fired via mind impulse.
just an interesting nugget.

Personally, I duno if the Fiends would have any ranged weapons at all besides a possible sonic screech attack. However, if they did, I think they would be attached so a Close Combat weapon.

I think that the Fiends, being the Close Combat assault troops, would be equipped with a type of power-gauntlet (lightning claw equivalent?) placed over their claw-hand, and perhaps with a short ranged weapon attached to it.
This would leave them free to fly without hampering their mobility. Sure the ranged weapon would be short ranged, but they can make up for that with mobility.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
I think that's basically what we have agreed on.

They are going to have a short range sonic weapon, that acts more like shotgun effect, disorientating their foe as they charge in. For their actual weapons I think we were going to go with their actual claws are sharp enough by themselves (made stronger by years of evolution from hanging in their caves etc). Personally I think that would be ok, rather than overcomplicating with a power weapon.

However I do like the idea of some kind of gauntlet where their sonic weapon is mounted. I just can't see them carrying the weapon like a gun in their hands.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
Perhaps the basic troops have the previously agreed sonic shotgun, and one of the more assaulty chiro units have a gauntlet that uses sonic vibrations to act as a weaker version of a power fist. (Perhaps giving them power weapon attacks or something similar?)

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
Yes I did. I went clubbing last night and am still recovering.

edit: I just had a brainflash!
In star wars books, there is a weapon called a vibroblade. It uses high frequency vibrations to make it so that the blade cuts things even if it barely touches them. Sound is vibration. Perhaps we can have a bladed powered gauntlet that uses that kinda principle. Make it give em rending or make it ignore armour saves or something.

Meier Lenk

Black Knight
Aug 29, 2008
manchester
hmm, since this is a physiology thread, how bout these gauntlets become a piece of bio-tech genetically engineered into all cythor above a certain age, or even better (from a psychopathic wh40k stance) the result of a eugenics program? the cythor could have had such an ability bred into them, so that once they reach a certain age their bodies go through some kind of "killtacular-puberty" (itll take me a while to think of a name that isnt lame, sorry) or only kicks in once theyve reproduced or something?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu