• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
Mar 9, 2008
Singapore
Yeah, I think your input regarding CC weapons was drowned by a tidal wave of ranged weapons stuff.

The Vibro-Gauntlets seems to be a perfect fit for Rending judging by the fluff. Regarding the Sonic Helm however, it already has close equivalents in existence, specifically, Eldar Howling Banshees' Banshee Masks. I would suggest changing it to counting as frags and doubling Init on the charge instead, as completely shutting down a unit's attacks as long as you successfully roll to wound that unit once seems OP.

To get the ball rolling, here's 2 more CC weapons ideas:

Sonic Lance

This weapon is unique amongst Cythor sonic weapons in that it is intended to be used in close combat. It is so named because of its' resemblance to a spear. Seconds before contact the bearer primes the weapon by activating the crystal charge process. Upon completion a powerful sonic blast is channeled down a long and thin focusing chamber directly onto the enemy itself. The impact is powerful enough to blow holes large enough to put a bolter through in a Space Marine's armor.

Sonic Lances may only be used on a turn in which their bearer charges. They grant +2S, ignore armor saves, and reduce the I of any model wounded but not killed to 1. Vehicles suffer an automatic 'crew stunned' result in addition to any result rolled on any glancing or penetrating hit.

Razor Talons

A set of artificial claws mounted on a gauntlet, the razor-serration on these wicked talons make them brutally effective at tearing flesh and bone apart

Models with Razor Talons gain +1S and reroll any failed rolls to wound in close combat.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Ok, so here are the Vibro Gauntlets:

Vibro-Gauntlet
The Vibro gauntlet is a lightweight, armoured gauntlet that is worn by the Cythor (insert unit name here) on their hands. It is lightweight and carefully shaped so as not to destabilise their flight. The gauntlet has a built in, razor sharp blade made of an advanced metal, with an edge that has been nano-carved to make it hair thin and incredibly sharp. Also built in to the gauntlet is a device which sends vibrations across the blade, making it vibrate at a frequency which causes it to cut whatever it touches without the need to actually apply force to the blade.

The fluff is top notch, however I have to disagree with rending. As all the cythors (apart from the adolescent ones) will have rending as basic, I would suggest that this be our power weapon. That way it is a viable upgrade for both Chiro & Cythor units

Todd – You ridea is great, however I don’t think that it should be for the Cythors. I can’t see them using it when they have inbuilt claws, plus it doesn’t fit with their limited tech persona. However I do think it would be a great option for Chiro units (whether actually chiro or nanoslaves etc)

Of course we need to change their names to something greek xd

I have just realized we don’t have the rules for the Leech weapons, perhaps something like:

The user can choose swap all his attacks for one leech attack. If this attack hits and wounds it inflicts D3 wounds. Any wounds caused by this can be used to heal the Chiro, though it may be not be used to raise his wounds over their original number.

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
Mar 9, 2008
Singapore
Ninja'd by DoN while I was adding something to my previous post. The Sonic Lance was intended for a Blood Knight-esque unit, so probably not for slave fodder.

However, keep in mind that exchanging Rending for power weapons can be seen as a downgrade, not an upgrade. The Vibro-Gauntlet will have to do more than simply ignoring armor saves if it is to be worthy of being worth paying points for since most/all Cythors already have Rending.

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
Mar 9, 2008
Singapore
That bonus is very situational, calling it an upgrade would be rather dubious still. I'd suggest granting Rending with re-roll to wound

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
Didnt we have a discussion which also kinda died, brought on by the rending gauntlets, on whether rending as a species wide special rule was possible without them being super genetically engineered like the nids are?

Capt Rubber Ducky

Vampire Count
True Blood
Jun 9, 2009
Not sure about you but i'm finding it slightly tricky to disscus the weapons when I don't know the units rules that will be using them. Esspecially with the unit pacific weapons.

On the Vibro-Gauntlet how about they just don't lose rending, and gain a power weapon.

Sweeney Todd

Master Vampire
True Blood
Mar 9, 2008
Singapore
Actually, I take back what i said about the 6s causing Instant Death - power weapons that instant kill on to wound rolls of 6s could certainly be an upgrade over Rending, and with a decent number of attacks will make Tyranid monsters wet their chitin.

I do agree that with CRD that we need a greater idea of exactly what units will be using these weapons, and what kinda special rules they have. I'll get the ball rolling.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Ok, I have updated the first post with all the ranged weapons we agreed on.

I think the Vibro-Gauntlet being power weapons that cause instant death of a roll of 6 to wound would be very powerful. They would have to be limited and costed right, but I like that. It would be a good upgrade for either Chiro or Cythor.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Hello? *echo* hello hello hello hello

Come on, lets get this project going!

Now thoughts on the Vibro-Gauntlet - you know when I think of this all I can think of is this:
418.jpg

Anyway - considering the Cythors will probably have rending what are peoples thoughts on it?

Also, please can you all check on the first post and see if there are any problems with the updated list?

I think we should then also start looking at some units more.

Meier Lenk

Black Knight
Aug 29, 2008
manchester
i think the weapons rules so far are decent, and i cant particularly think of anything more to comment regarding them atm, apart from perhaps calling the cythor sonic doo-hicky something to the effect of "siren carbine" or the like; it fits the position as a sonic weapon and carbines are typically cut down/light sidearms, which i reckon would fit what were aiming for with this particular weapon nicely.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu