• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

What version of WHFB are you playing?

• 4th - Ah Herohammer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
So it would be great to know who's still playing WHFB, and what version. We'll include the 9th Age as WHFB's spiritual successor, and you can select as many editions as you're playing at the moment.

Let us know in the comment's what the meta is in your area!

El Syf

Vargheist
Dec 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Once Aos dropped I switched, I'd like to play 8th again but my regular opponent has no interest in going back to square bases.

El Syf

Vargheist
Dec 4, 2011
Eastbourne
No other players you can find @El Syf? Pity the bases are the one thing stopping you guys
Well it's not just the bases, since AoS they just think fantasy is old hat and won't entertain the notion, even though nearly all my army is on squares and would rank up perfectly. Also I live in a very rural area so trying to find new people to play games with is a bit difficult.

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
5th edition here. We've grown a good group here over the past year and while we're open about moving between editions as we wish, 5th has held up perfectly for us so far.

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
Of course it's Vampire Counts!

Building characters with the endless combinations of items and bloodline powers is great fun but something I never noticed before was just how much anti-character stuff there is around in 5th edition as well, and when your entire army goes poof as soon as your general dies you easily get a little paranoid. 🙃

Cthelthmoore

Zombie
Feb 26, 2021
Ireland
6th here, I would have voted but I'm not sure I've ever heard of 6.5?

I live the sheer volume of extra stuff that came with 6th, the annuals, various campaigns that has yet to be matched in number as far as I know, loads of siege rules, a world map campaign system, boat rules, Warhammer Skirmish, online only character rules to flesh out the characters that only got a paragraph in your army books, chunky "heroic scale" models and so few models types that the conversions in the White Dwarf magazine were absolutely nuts.

It's largely nostalgia for sure, but paging through the Warhammer Skirmish scenario book really shows off the pure, unfiltered imagination that was abound at GW at the time. That book was basically a load of RPG scenarios, really turning the whole system on its head as far as your experience was concerned. The best comparison I have is the Resident Evil 2 remake 4th survivor mode. You spend all game being terrified by your opponents, barely able to match them and on the back foot at all times. Cue the 4th survivor where you switch characters and play as an absolute badass who blows the zombies away with his firepower, while his only other partner can't help but admire how cool he is. All possible because the game allows you to play like this in the main game, but never gives you enough ammo to do so. The skirmish scenario is similar for me, toning down a fantasy wargame to the individual level while keeping the rules kind of the same. If they released a book that allowed stat upgrades, linked narratives and something to aid a Dungeon Master with figuring the whole thing out, I'm sure that we could have had a really cool versions of a Warhammer Fantasy RPG that wasn't crazy emphasised on stats but easy enough to learn.

Like D&D lite

Reactions: Kaptain Von

Zazel

Zombie
Jun 17, 2021
I’d love to get some game but people I know just do 40K now. I used to play 5th back in the day and did play a bit of 8th too. When I re-connected after a few years out they were done with square bases when aos came out just as I started to get some models again.

Azakael

Skeleton
Honestly, the only minis game I am playing right now is Rangers of Shadow Deep. But if I were playing anything "classic" Warhammer at the moment, it would likely be 8th edition. Though I might consider Warhammer Armies Project. Since it's still retaining a bit of that 8.5 that 9th Age started as.

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Lately my fantasy is AoS centered (due to preferences of my gaming group), however every once in a while i still manage to play some oldhammer. At that point it's 8th or 7th.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Building characters with the endless combinations of items and bloodline powers is great fun but something I never noticed before was just how much anti-character stuff there is around in 5th edition as well, and when your entire army goes poof as soon as your general dies you easily get a little paranoid
Ouch! Yeah I just re-read the 5th edition general rules and the whole army just goes poof unless they have a character leading the unit. You needed that stronger character to be fair! What set-up are you playing on your general?

@Cthelthmoore - 6.5 was where you used the 6th edition armybooks with 7th edition rules. It worked as they were similar enough, and most found the 6th books much better balanced.

I agree about the 6th though. When I've looked through my collection there was so much more lore, background and options. The VC book itself just has much more in terms of artwork, stories etc compared to the later books which are bland in comparison.

At one point these forums were putting in WFO systems, which was the (crude) ability to play Warhammer fantasy online. Anyone know if any of those systems are still up and running? I'm getting my own hankering to play oldhammer and playing it online with some of you guys might be fun!

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
Ouch! Yeah I just re-read the 5th edition general rules and the whole army just goes poof unless they have a character leading the unit. You needed that stronger character to be fair! What set-up are you playing on your general?

We're playing mostly smaller games to let the newer players catch up with painting and on top of that we usually do a 33% characters house rule, so I don't usually do any extraordinary builds. Gotta fit that necromancer in as well, y'know. A typical set up for a blood dragon count is a rending sword (2 wounds, useful vs characters and monsters) with armour of fortune (5+ special save for 15 points, that's a bargain) and red fury (+1 attack, always good). If I roll with von Carstein then it's usually the carstein ring (a second life for my general, yes please) with either rending sword or cursed book (-1 to hit for living enemies within 6'' for a cheap price, helps the unit out as well).

However, my favourite move is to pull out the sword of destruction every now and then. It's a beefy 100 points but it removes all magic items in base contact, which is hilarious when someone comes along with some evil trick (black amulet, horstmann's speculum, heart of woe, sword of heroes, the list goes on...) only to have it do nothing. 🤡 I especially like it for blood dragons, since it feels silly that you'd otherwise always have to think twice about facing enemy characters for fear of them carrying something nasty. Without magic items it's just mano-a-mano, and vampires do that good. 💀

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Oooh a very nasty surprise. I hated that speculum before, so I can imagine the look on your opponents face when it does work and they are facing off against a Blood Dragon! 🤣

I don't suppose you guys do battle reports, I fancy some nostalgic reading!

MedMos

Ghoul
Sep 15, 2015
Lundby, Sjælland
I'd like some battle reports as well, although right now I'm catching up on padrissimus' epic!

I voted everything from 6th to 8th, but it is mostly a theoretical answer, as I don't have any opponents and haven't played a game in years. And even then it was either 9th Age or AoS... But if I should manage to track down an opponent within a reasonable distance, I'd heavily favor those editions. I'd be open to 9th Age, but that would require some massive brushing up on rules.

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
Disciple of Nagash, MedMos, not full battle reports sadly but we do take notes and pictures of our battles. We've got something particularly spicy coming up this weekend, I'll be sure to take some good pics!

Reactions: MedMos

Knoffles

Zombie
May 12, 2018
London
100% 8th and our club never stopped (though many have moved to KOW). We are also looking to start Warhammer Armies Project 9th edition (and have already incorporated some of their 8th edition books into our scene).

TMS

Staff member
True Blood
Nov 26, 2008
Sweden
Disciple of Nagash, sorry! I sure did but I've been on my first week of vacation and have just been lazying about. I'll get something posted this week and give you a ping.

Apr 13, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
I've mostly been playing other games, but the last few games of WFB I played (back a few years ago!) were 3rd ed.

If I had my choice, I'd play 6.5 ed. all the time. Or 7th without min/maxed armies. (Such as a campaign, GM scenario & armies, etc.)

8th ed. killed my interest after a few years of trying to enjoy it, well before AoS ever came along.

hairyjeff

Crypt Horror
May 10, 2011
7th, because - well, that's where we were. Almost everyone here either quit completely when AoS arrived, or just went on with what we enjoyed. So now there are just the 3 of us. But with 7 armies between us, it doesn't get boring.

Reactions: The Sun King

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
hairyjeff Good to see you back my friend! Still doing reenactment? And what list do you normally bring for 7th? I remember graveguards with the regen-banner being nasty.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu