• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Feb 5, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
One thing is for sure...

it will be nice to see VC armies that are not just:
Ghouls, Ghouls, Ghouls and a GG unit. Insert random characters and maybe the odd Varg/Coach.

:thumbsup:

The Dead of Night

Vampire Count
True Blood
Aug 16, 2007
Sydney
Bishop said:
One thing is for sure...

it will be nice to see VC armies that are not just:
Ghouls, Ghouls, Ghouls and a GG unit. Insert random characters and maybe the odd Varg/Coach.

:thumbsup:

Absolutely. Considering the occasional player is happy to field skeletons now, when Ghouls are so much better, I expect we will see it a lot more when the line is blurred.

N.I.B

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 26, 2007
I don't see myself buying and painting another 30 Dire Wolves to reach 79, which is what it takes at 2500 points. So I'll have to spend 225 points on something else than Dire Wolves (I have at least 50), probably going with 39 Skellies with full command to grab a standard for that stupid scenario. Or 73 Zombies with standard, deployed in a corner. A bit bummed to mess up the theme, who knows I might pick up a bunch of Gobbo Wolves from ebay.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Personally I am not sure if they will be the core of choice, but I would say they will be used much much more - including by me.

To me they are now looking about right with their increased stats and lowered points cost. On their own, supported with a bit of regen I can now see them being viable tarpits. With a character in front I can actually see them taking on weak enemy units.

So yes I am very pleased. I also agree with Grish that Zombies are so iconic for the undead, and so to be able to viably field them fills with with much nerd love xd

Grish

Liche
True Blood
Oct 11, 2007
Winnipeg, MB
Zombies = nerd love? I thought they were more main stream than that!

I for one will be wanting to field a ton of Zombies, in horde formation. With 625 needed to be spent on Core (2500 pts), it wouldn't be too hard to field 2 units of 50 each for 300 pts. Would still give lots to be spent on units such as Dire Wolves, Skeletons or a smallish unit of Ghouls.

With such large unit sizes I figure I will be able to not worry about them as much, add in some decent combat characters to mitigate crumble, and pit them against more static CR troops. They could even be used against smaller units of more elite troops if you have a combat character or two in there. Deploy them 5 wide and the CR you give off wouldn't be as bad. Weather the storm, use your combat character to chop down their Rank and File, and eventually win.

I'm really looking forward to them. Will have to think of some Zombie fillers for sure.

El Syf

Vargheist
Dec 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Never been a fan of zombies, to the extent I don't own any! But it's nice to see something being done to try and make them better. Skegs all the way!

Lichemaster

Zombie
Jul 8, 2009
in 6th ed. I used 250+ zombies and my army won far more games then lost, they did the same in 7th ed. till the book that is about to be redone made them no good.
Man I miss having over 450 models on the board after a good round of IoN in 6th and early 7th ed. great now I sound so old :(

Jan 20, 2008
Lichemaster, that does not make you old. I'm the same, and I'm still freshly blooded.

I miss my zombies. Ever so much.

The first box I bought was zombies, back just before 6th came out. Still not finished painting them :p

Zombieboy

Skeleton
Feb 27, 2011
Zombies are the new awesome tarpits! With IoN targeting multiple units you could have a couple necros with IoN hitting 2-3 units of zombies. Top that off with a corpse cart with an unholy lodestone and you'll be raising 2d6+1 zombies with re-rolling one of the d6s with each casting :) I'm looking forward to seeing what zombies can do.... or stop other units from doing :)

Wargamer

Ghoul
Oct 13, 2010
Puerto Rico
_Revan_ said:
Narp said:
Isn't it odd that a 1pt reduction and T and S3 are actually very good, effective improvements and they're finally useful and they will once again appear on battlefields again.

Although, with an I of 1, it's debatable whether always strike last was actually required.

I'm also very excited about the change (looking to gear towards Nechrarch Vampires myseld), I think the Always Strikes Last is to keep Zombies from going first with Vanhel's Danse, so that slow Zombies remain slow Zombies.

A small price to pay in my opinion, I'm all for it.

Park a Corpse Cart near by and cast a Vampire Augment on it, poof, ASF Zombies.

Sanai

Stylish Deviant
True Blood
Oct 30, 2009
Behind Darvy
The great host of undead prepared for battle, its ranks of skeletons and zombies standing in formation. The council of war concluded, the vampire lord set off to take his customary position among his grave guard. The vampires lieutenants stood there looking nonchalant until he left.... then the shoving began. The vampiric thrall reached the 1st unit of skeletons 1st, poking his tongue out at the wight king and the necromancer. The wight king shouted "I SHOTGUN THOSE SKELETONS!" and took his position amongst the skeletons. The necromancer exclaimed "No fair! I always get stuck with the zombies!" and dejectedly walked towards the smelly horde to lead them into battle.

geordieclubba

Vargheist
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields
Wargamer said:
_Revan_ said:
Narp said:
Isn't it odd that a 1pt reduction and T and S3 are actually very good, effective improvements and they're finally useful and they will once again appear on battlefields again.

Although, with an I of 1, it's debatable whether always strike last was actually required.

I'm also very excited about the change (looking to gear towards Nechrarch Vampires myseld), I think the Always Strikes Last is to keep Zombies from going first with Vanhel's Danse, so that slow Zombies remain slow Zombies.

They still going last with initiative 1 as it just cancels each other out

Wargamer

Ghoul
Oct 13, 2010
Puerto Rico
geordieclubba said:
Wargamer said:
_Revan_ said:
Narp said:

They still going last with initiative 1 as it just cancels each other out

Read the Corpe Cart rules. Their ASF removes ASL specifically for Zombies. :rolleyes:

VladtheLad

Grave Guard
Sep 2, 2007
If they can pursue instead of dealing hits per rank then zombies are the new ghouls.

One invocation by a level 4 near 3 zombie units raises an average of 33 zombies. If he has the power that summons wolves and fellbats and has two units of each close by you also gain 10 wolves and 5 fellbats.

I can see having a tome mortis engine for the casting bonus and using Master of the black arts to reduce the opponents dispel dice and then spamming a couple of invocations each round. Your zombies units will quickly become very hard to deal with for your opponent, especially with a couple of mortis engines near by.

Problem is that you will have to depend on other units to deal damage. They also don't have a champion so you won't be able to challenge to protect heroes in a zombie bunker.
Plus you will need to buy a ridiculous amount of zombies for this to work. :tongue:

tw1386

Zombie
Aug 25, 2009
If I remember correctly when I read through the book past night that zombies have a rule that they gain true ASF when it is cast on them. As in the ASL rule goes away for the interim.

Count Darvaleth

I <3 marmite
True Blood
Apr 26, 2010
tw1386 said:
If I remember correctly when I read through the book past night that zombies have a rule that they gain true ASF when it is cast on them. As in the ASL rule goes away for the interim.

If a Corpse Cart is ever augmented by any VC spell, then all units within 6" of it gain ASF until your next magic phase. Any zombies LOSE ASL for that turn and gain ASF.

So pretty darn good for these cheaper and stronger/tougher zombies.

forgottenlor

Ghoul
Jun 23, 2008
Vienna
I don't expect much of the Zombies either. As someone who also plays Tomk Kings, I can tell you Tomb Kings skeletons are even terrible at their point cost, even with a prince inside. The problem is against a good unit your zombies will crumble extremly fast.

As a bunker they may be useful, and as tarpit against opposing units with little damage output. Small units can be justified as a drop. I don't know if one can run just 20, as I don't have the book yet.

I will also agree that the changes make skeletons almost completely worthless since one is paying almost twice as much for a unit that also crumbles fast and can't be expected to do anything in close combat.

Belladamma Voltaire

Vyrkos Primogen
True Blood
Aug 15, 2007
Manchester, UK
They crumble terribly but are replenished just as easily. They are now a reasonable unit for us to break enemy hordes on or simple negate steadfast. Their points cost has made them second only to skaven for sheer numbers and this is absolutely fantastic. They can die in droves and I am absolutely fine with that. The time taken to munch through 30 of them is more than enough for any reasonable trap involving flanks and supporting charges to be made.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu