• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
Very little painting lately as VERY busy with home, work, and family stuff but in clearing out my storeroom I did find a small binocular box stuffed full of old minis that I had thought lost or stolen for over 10 years. Including some orcs, a lotr troll, some dark elves, and old way watcheres. Here is a PIC of some long lost orcs which if I ever get the time I will give an updated coat of paint and post some new/better pics.
IMG_20140901_084249_zpsb3f0bf20.jpg

Back when I painted them I had the idea that each orc would have its own skin tone, varying shades of green. Finding them was a real surprise as they have some sentimental value, and I love the weight of the old metal minis. Seems much more suitable for an orc I think.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
Well I had a small amount of time and inspiration today so re-painted the big orc with some nice rusty armour.

Lockjaw (the rather large orc)
collage_20140901144227108_zps306679ee.jpg

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
Sorry no update but thought I would follow Borgnine's lead and announce a brief hiatus. Having a 2 year old toddler and a newborn currently, plus work, renovations, etc means I have little free time and even less energy to commit to hobbying.

Thus I will dust off my favourite coffin for a well deserved slumber. My minions will of course be keeping close watch on this site and thread, and have been given permission to post comments on my behalf until my return. ;) :vampire1:

Reactions: Dragonet

Duke Danse Macabre

The Duke
True Blood
Sep 16, 2010
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Still really awesome Orc though mate, great use of blood as well as it seems you have not over done it like i have seen so many do.

Congratz on the littlin though mate, remember though the sooner you can get them base coating the sooner you can have your own painting studio. ;)

Farmer7574

Vampire Count
True Blood
Dec 10, 2013
England
Some very impressive work you have here.

I came across your plog via being recommended to take a look as I'm planning on doing a dead forest setting for my VC guys.

Awesome conversions and nice paint jobs!

Mad 'At

Dumb enough to work
Staff member
True Blood
Apr 2, 2011
Grödinge
@Farmer7574: Last post in this plog was over 8 months ago, making this a case of Threadomancy. While we all enjoy @robtion's work, plogs that have been inactive for a longer period of time should not be brought back from sleep unless the owner wants it. It is also cruel as it gave me hope of an update.

Please check the date before posting. In situations like this one it is better to PM the plog owner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke Danse Macabre

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
Just a WIP of my mounted Vampiress for the current challenge. Long way to go yet but managed to start it today and will get it finished during my 2 weeks off over Christmas.

pixlr_20151223202259011_zpsos9egyrx.jpg

Shadespyre

Vampire Count
Aug 11, 2012
Aha! The CMoN mounted vampiress - I regretfully ducked this model, nice as it is, as not "martial" enough for my army project. Nice to see you working on it though.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
A very, very interesting model, this mounted vampiress. I must get it ;) Thanks @Shadespyre for pointing from where one can get it :thumbsup:

It's turning out very interesting. From where did you get the banner? And the creature on the front of the base - a cat? - what is it?

And BTW - I looked through your thread some time ago and couldn't comment because of threadomancy, but now I can! I find it very, very inspiring, especially right now that I'm trying to shift my army more forest-y. It was all wonderfull stuff before but now I can properly appreciate it, seeing how you deal with the forest themes yourself. Good luck on the vampiress!

Reactions: robtion

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
@Adam_Barrow Yep. The challenges are helping boost my motivation. All the bits I added kept falling off (glue was a bit old perhaps?) so I will add them at the end.

@Shadespyre Yep. I just really like the horse so had to get it.

@Borgnine Yes a great model that was out of stock for a long time but has since been re-stocked. There is also an on foot version of the same Vampiress.The banner is from the RANGING Heroes Blood Vestals. The giant rat is from Malifaux. Link
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...hXHYqYKHf52AU0Q_AUIBygB#imgrc=75eiGmCp1An4LM:

Thanks for the praise, I'm sure whatever you do with your army will look great. You have some of the best VC models I have ever seen :thumbsup:

Dragonet

Wight King
Feb 3, 2015
Bromley
I'd also like to say in case I forgot to already, this thread has been a real inspiration for me too, thanks Robtion! Hopefully I'll get round to doing one of my own one day...

Reactions: robtion

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
My challenge entry:

Miss Muffet on her Tuffet (or Vampiress on Abyssal Terror).

Among the oldest of trees, for millennia the great redwood flourished under the care of a coterie of fair dryads. As the corruption slowly spread its tendrils through the forest, one by one the the nymphs perished, their number dwindling to a solitary guardian. Enraged by the evil invading its home, and vitalised by the spirits of the fallen maidens the tree awoke. For almost a century, side be side the ancient treeman and its dryad companion fought, before finally succumbing to the darkness.

To this day the pair roam the Dark Woods, an unnatural parody of their former selves. A hollow, ever smouldering stump is all that remains of the once towering treeman, limbs all but gone save two stubby yet powerful legs, its crooked, gaping maw choked with the skeletal remains of its enemies. Lounging atop the charred bole the tortured form of the once dryad is wracked by spasms and tics, its vampiric mind a tangle, wavering continually between hate and shame. Her lithe yet voluptuous figure is as incongruous as her psyche, matted with all manner of filth and spattered with blood.

pixlr_20160206160801066_zpsixc6oors.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Borgnine

ObliviJohn

Vampire wood elf
Sep 19, 2011
I love it, have many times speculated over what I would make my abyssal terrors into. =)
You looking at 9th, staying in 8th or just doing a hobby project?

Nice to see an update from you anyhow.

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
@Dragonet Thanks, that's really cool to hear. I like the thought of inspiring creativity. I will keep an eye out for your plog ;)

@ObliviJohn Thanks. Glad you like it. Definitely staying in 8th, not a fan of the 'reboot'. The truth is I rarely play as the people I play with live far away now and we all have little kids and jobs so the logistics make it very difficult.
So mostly just doing it for the fun of it at the moment.

Borgnine

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Jun 15, 2013
Pruszkow, Poland
Great! Great! Great! From the story to the model itself, just great! I love the contrast between ugly and beautiful and this pictures it wonderfully! Besides, I learned a new word from your backstory: incongruous! xD

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
@Borgnine Thanks, glad you like it. I think it is in keeping with the rest of the army.
As for the new word, I'm always happy to help. I would guess quite a few native English speakers aren't familiar with it, so you're doing alright ;)

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
April 2016 challenge entry.

Outcast on corpse carrier.

When the naive ogre first approached the Spire he was full of confidence, being among the brightest of his kind, and brimming with confidence. Not content with mastering only the traditional lores of his kin, he came to the Spire to learn from the grand necromancer and his disciples. The necromancer's of the Spire bared rotten teeth, accepted him into their ranks with cunning smiles, sniggering amongst themselves as the ogre struggled to endure their twisted hazing rituals.

Yet teach him they did, and so he suffered their brutality without protest, and before long found himself raising whole battalions of the undead in service of his new master. Too soon though did he learn the price for this new found power. For his kind were not meant to follow this path, and the dark magics of undeath took their toll upon him. He found he could no longer eat, and his body soon withered. His limbs became thin and weak, losing their once mighty bulk.

A contorted and frail wreck, the necromancer's of the Spire cackled with cruel delight as they flung him from the battlements. The fall would bring him no peace however, only serving to further rupture and disfigure his ruined body. So strong was the hold of his new master that even after this torment, he continues to serve.

IMG_20160408_165103_zpsjfipcxo4.jpg

IMG_20160408_164914_zpsltcpahbu.jpg

IMG_20160408_164813_zpsendzfbqe.jpg

Aug 9, 2015
Massachusetts
Hodor! Hodor!

In all seriousness, that is quite the unique take on a corpse cart, And I bet it looks really twisted on the table-top. Is that severed hand next to the ogre his little familiar?

robtion

Vampire Thrall
Aug 23, 2011
Australia
@heavyfishcannon

Thanks. His familiar? Yes in a manner of speaking. There are FIVE of them though(SIX if you count his 'tongue'), can you spot them all?

The idea is that the severed hands crawl around carrying out the necromancer's bidding and generally keeping things in order. Things can get quite messy on a corpse cart so someone has to keep things tidy.

They also assist in disemboweling many of the corpses to match the ogres own injury. That's kind of just how he rolls and it's a bit of a theme if you look closely :konrad:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu