• Roll-up! Roll-up! Come one and all the fantastic Turning the World to Darkness painting competition. Welcome to any skill level, you can find out more here.
  • It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more here.

BA - 8th Edition Review: Lahmian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Divine Beauty:
Any enemy units (including those that are immune to Psychology) that are within 18" at the start every turn must take a Leadership test at -2. If failed they act as if they had failed a stupidity test. Enemy wizards that fail this test may not add their magic level to casting/dispelling attempts until the current players next turn. In addition any enemy units that move into 18" range at any point during the turn and can drawn LOS must also take the test as described above. If failed as well as suffering the effects of stupidity and they must immediately stop, providing it is not in impassable terrain, another unit etc. If it is in such a position the unit must clear the obstruction and then stop.

Something I noticed when I re-read this today...

- the test is at the start of EVERY turn? (ie. both players, if still within 18")

- if it is a test in EVERY turn, then the "stupidity" effect, should only last for one player turn (not one game turn).

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
I waver between 'Every' turn and 'Every player turn' on Divine Beauty.

I'm playing Ogre Kingdoms against DoN, and the power has had two chances to take effect, and my BsB re-rolls have saved me every time. And I'm at most Ld 9!

Against Orcs and Goblins it might be Overpowered simply because their BsB can't reach all their models, but otherwise I see it as perfectly fine.

But, regardless, Bishop's last statement should be enacted. the 'Stupidity' effect should last until the end of the current player turn, and then need to be tested for again in the next turn.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
I think that is an error.

The way the power should work is that if the enemy unit is in range and LOS, the Stupidity test should be taken when it normally would, at the start of the enemies turn. If however they are out of range, but then move into range at any point then they automatically test then, if they fail then just stop. This could mean for example the enemy pursues during my turn, gets in range & LOS and thus have to test. Regardless whether they pass or fail, they will then have to test again for stupidity at the start of their next turn.

Does that make sense – if so perhaps someone could write the rules so they are a bit more clear, as it is not my strong point xD Ideas - yes, being clear - no!

Onikaigo

Vampire Lord
True Blood
Divine Beauty:
Any enemy units (including those that are immune to Psychology) that come within 18", have LoS to the Vampire with this power, and attempt to move must take a Leadership test at -2. If failed they act as if they had failed a stupidity test. Enemy wizards (Included in a unit that is effected by this power) that fail this test may not add their magic level to casting/dispelling attempts until the current players next turn. In addition any enemy units that move into 18" range at any point during the turn and can drawn LOS must also take the test as described above. If failed as well as suffering the effects of stupidity and they must immediately stop, providing it is not in impassable terrain, another unit etc. If it is in such a position the unit must clear the obstruction and then stop.

Something along those lines. Basically, every time a unit within 18 inches can see the Wizard take the test on any attempt to move, whether voluntary or not.

Disciple of Nagash

The Perverted One
Staff member
I'm not sure on that Oni - as it does not specify the Stupidity test at the start of the turn and it seems a bit unclear to me.

How about:

At the start of the enemies turn, any enemy units (including those that are ItP) that are within 18" and can draw LOS to this vampire must take a Leadership test at -2. If failed they act as if they have failed a Stupidity test.
Also if at any point any during the rest of the turn, as well as the owning players turn, any enemy units move into 18" range and can draw LOS to the vampire they must take a leadership test as described above. If failed the unit must stop immediately, and suffer any affects from Stupidity that may be applicable for the remainder of that turn. For example if the unit moves into 18" range during their normal movement and fail the test, as well as stopping they may not shoot, cast spells etc.
Finally, if an enemy wizard fails this test before the owning players magic phase, they may not add their magicl level to any dispel attempts.

It's a bit lengthy but I think it covers everything?

I think you could cut the 2nd paragraph to just "If at any point an enemy unit moves into 18" range...etc." And since you've already said it makes them act Stupid, is the extra explanation of what stupidity does necessary? Perhaps it is, but usually most similar rules that I've noticed just say Stupidity and leave it to the player to know/figure out what that means. That would cut down on the length of the rule quite a bit.

Bishop

Master Necromancer
True Blood
I think that this is better, shorter, and still covers everything :D

At the start of the enemies turn, any enemy units (including those that are ItP) that are within 18" and have LOS to this vampire must take a Stupidity test at -2.

Whenever (could be either players turn) any enemy units enter into range (18") and have LOS to the vampire then they must take a Stupidity test at -2. If failed the unit must stop immediately, and then suffer the effects of Stupidity.
(the Wizard issue is explicitly covered under the Stupidity rules in BRB, so that can be dropped).

Any comments on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.