Tawg said:I definitely think I'd stay away from the flames/smoke thing. I love the blending on the swords, especially how golden it looks at the tip, but that smoke/fire effect really draws attention away from that, and also I feel like brings the colours more into a darker frame over-all. It also doesn't look quite as refined as the "Goo/Blood" or the "Hairy Pits" techniques; My suggestion would be that you do not apply the "Fire/Smoke" To them all, but if you could perhaps work in a unit-filler that somehow conveys the scorching feel that would be aided by smoke/fire do it do perhaps just that?
Thinking along the lines of like, a crater/nova with a beast-y in the center (Thrown to Earth by Khorn himself?) or perhaps something involving lava fall (Fountain? Pool?) with one coming out?
Or you could do that over-all, with a handful of them having the "Smoke" effect, walking out of a billow of smoke, and the effect used sparingly though out the unit, with possible unit fillers just being a large plume/falling daemons?
I can't even find a better video of it, but the Oppressors from Diablo 3 do something similar in Act 4 (If you're played);
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJp14STmANU[/video]
I only picked that one because it's terribly short, and I don't know how to start a video in the middle of it, lol; But you can see two of them fly upwards in the back right of the screen (By that blue fountain) after the mage dies. Just that general "Sky-fall" kinda crash-landing feel.
Just some food for thought I guess. I know Bloodletters don't fly, and aren't known for falling from the sky, but I like the imagery. Plus it could be cool if you use the BL's in conjunction with that new Petro Glyph that warps in a unit, although I don't even know if you're intending to play an army.

Bigcannon said:My dragon Mage
![]()
![]()
Happy painting ~
Bigcannon
Bigcannon said:Hi All~
Just a quick update before head to bed, will take more bigger photos for next update.
![]()
Goodnight & Happy painting.
Tawg said:Hey, it's not Slaanesh, but it's pretty damn close!
I like the teal glow in the sorceress's palm, like she's casting a spell; Any chance you're putting some sorta clear-effect type do-jigger coming out of her hand to go along with it? (Like how some people put muzzle-flare on various rifles/rockets to show projectiles coming out occasionally in 40k)
Bigcannon said:My dragon Mage
![]()
![]()
Happy painting ~
Bigcannon
I was looking back, and saw this, and I realized you're one of the few people I've seen who paint things in pieces and then assemble them after. (I'm sure a lot more do it, that I just don't notice) But I had a question, if you'd be so kind to answer: I'm just curious about exactly what kinda prep you put into the pieces before/after painting when you go about something like that.
Do you only dry fit pieces to see it before hand? Or blue-tak? Or just lightly glue and disassemble them to paint/ect. What about models, such as the Mage pictured above, that have more like "Two Halves" that sometimes require green stuff to smooth out gaps?
I'm also not so sure, I mean, I know that if you spray painted before gluing, again as the Mage above, you'd most likely end up scraping off the primer on the surfaces you intend to glue; Or at least I assume that's how people handle it, to insure a more secure bond? Do you end up avoiding any specific types of glue (IE, plastic glue, since it normally melts the plastic together?). And I assume you use some sort of applicator, like a Superglue that has a brush, or tooth pick or some such, to minimize the chance of super glue mussing up the already painted portions. I am fairly sure Superglue does some awful things to finely painted surfaces.
I have an Empire Wizard kit I'm currently working on, and there is no way I'd be able to paint inside the robes if they were glued in the first place, but I am certain I'll need to smooth the joints on the out side portion of the cloak or it'd have glaringly obvious gaps. My current working plan is just to paint the inside robes as well as I wish/to completion, then after I am satisfied glue them together, do some light greenstuff work and paint the outside robes afterwards. I am very unsure if I need to take any precautions though involving the greenstuff after I smooth that all out; Like if I need to get a certain type of, brush on primer or such, or if I can just give it a light go over with a base colour and go from there. I've never seen brush on primer though I've heard people on these forums talk about it before (Certainly don't think Citadel makes any).
It also seems like my handgunners are going to have quite a bit of work to do on their arms.. greenstuff fill/positioning. I'm not even sure how I plan on going about that at all, though I don't want their arms glued on before I paint their chest/inside of the arm/guns, but I'm way less certain about my ability to do them well with painting before-hand and greenstuffing the gaps (They seem sizable when I was just holding the models together to check). :zombie:
Ah, but yeah, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to this, I don't mean to be a drag on you asking so many questions. It's just something I don't regularly see discussed by many people. Thanks in advance![]()
BloodbathMcGrath said:BigCannon's fire swords and banner eat those bloodletters for breakfasterv:
Hey by the way Bigcannon, I was looking at your phoenix king and HE army again, is there any chance you could post a tutorial on how you do you gem effect? Or is it a trade secret?
Tawg said:With all due respect, I'd be offended if you hadn't of put so much effort into the interior of your Doom-Wheel! That's fantastic, truly something I wish I could do (Both completion and quality). Is the Doom Wheel magnetized to get it to come apart like that? I imagine I'll end up having a similar set up with my Locust of Hyssh I'll be making for my Empire; it'll most likely end up being able to completely come apart to some degree, although I feel that's slightly less involved than your Doom Wheel :konrad:
And I see what you mean about painting various parts before the others, I mean, I guess I had that basic concept in my mind before, but definitely good reminder. Especially since I didn't paint the torn muscles on my Doom Wolves I started before I did their hide.. and it'll be hard not to do over-splash; They're most likely just getting touch-ups since I don't think I'll be able to avoid messing up there.
Although one question I kinda asked, may not exactly have been clear, but I was trying to ask: On your Hellbrute there, since the whole surface is primed, when you go to glue the halves together will you be scraping the primer off to expose the plastic/resin beneath? Or do you just glue it, and not worry about the primer making the bond potentially easier to ruin?
Thanks for all the help again, and the insanely inspirational art. I am crazy jealous of your NMMs in particular; Sadly I have been holding off on my vampires quite a bit due to not wanting to go full into the bulk of the army with metallic paints! But I am really never going to get anywhere not practicing. I might just start painting up junk sprues left over to practice the smooth blending. Although I also know a lot of it is the conceptualization of where the light reflects off the surface. I just recently saw the genius idea to photo the bare-metal mini to get a real life image of how light plays off it, and I think it works similar if you get a model wet to see the general "High lights/Shading areas".
Tawg said:Oh, I didn't even realize you were doing a full DE army :ghost: I thought you were doing a character party for some sorta DE X HE diorama
I have a question though; What exactly do you do with your armies after you paint them? Do you just make amazing models and put them in display cases? :konrad: