• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
@Disciple of Nagash Thanks! And it probably would be best as a "Warhammer TV painting Tutorials" thread? I think I've seen most of them, could probably search through my YT history and find all them.... :lol:
If you could find them that would be great! It depends on the different types, as we might want to group them in a certain way. Let me know if you get time to do it and we can figure out the best way to post them 👍

Gederas

Skeleton
Jun 15, 2021
If you could find them that would be great! It depends on the different types, as we might want to group them in a certain way. Let me know if you get time to do it and we can figure out the best way to post them 👍
Thankfully, all of the tutorials are all "here's how to paint it like the box art", some of the more recent ones are tagged as "Contrast Method" or "Classic Method", but the result is the same.

It's just there's a lot of them :lol:

Since I'm currently on vacation, I can go and search through the WarhammerTV YouTube channel and get all of them. The question is this:

How many YouTube links are allowed in one post before it gets borked? :lol:

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Jul 3, 2010
Hey it's nice to see some stirring around here! The Soulblight Gravelord release indeed piqued my curiosity too, although I'm still more interested in the sqare-based game in general (but don't play anymore since Mannfred have been a dick). I still got me Cursed City though as to indulge in some good undead models, and maybe the start of something in AoS (still maily in 40k for now, and plenty to do there to keep me occupied).

But yeah I've even bough and painted a small unit of old, classic ghost for nostalgia's sake not so long ago (you know, back when ghosts were regular infantry models and not a swarm..? no?). Anyway, hanging out in too many old hammer Facebook group made me do it :D

My friend might ends up playing AoS soon so of course, if I join them, it'll be with the Gravelords! I don't think I'll convert any of my VC models into AoS though, might even be the opposite if i can (square bases with adapter of some sort for round base)!

I might visit this place more frequently now too!

Kassill

Grave Guard
Sep 28, 2011
Very excited to see the old counts stirring once again!

Long time lurker, hoping to document my SBG journey in the plogs soon! Still trying to sink my teeth into more Blood Knights though, they are scarce at the moment 😭

Reactions: The Sun King

Gederas

Skeleton
Jun 15, 2021
Okay, so.... I've started trawling through GW's tutorial videos (and holy hell there's actually a ton of them regarding Death stuff) and they're broken down into three categories:
  1. Building Tutorials
  2. Painting Tutorials
  3. Technique Tutorials
Of those, the Painting Tutorials have two sub-categories Units and Specific Characters, and Technique now have "Contrast" and "classic" methods.

For example, the oldest chronologically posted videos for Death are Bone-Daddy himself, Nagash, in a 4-part video series of "build" (first episode) and "paint" (next three)

I'm thinking I could just make a thread for it, but I'm unsure how many YT video links are allowed per post before the forum goes nutty

Gederas

Skeleton
Jun 15, 2021
Great idea Gederas. What do you mean by the forum going nutty?
I know some forums' coding can go a bit berserk when you have a certain number of YouTube video links in a post. I'm not sure what the limit is for this forum

Last edited:

Mioum

Crypt Horror
Jul 3, 2010
Talking about tutorials, I perused the links from @Raven Torrid posts, and couldn't find the specific ghost painting I used way back. It might have been in an Invocation issue at some point, but I thought it was also on it own somewhere.

Since I painted more Ghosts not so long ago, I still used the same technique as it's super simple and very effective (so simple you don't need the tutorial once you know :D). So maybe having the content of Invocation somewhere accessible would be cool!

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Great to see you again @Mioum! Feel free to post up any models you might work on, undead or not 😁 I'm with you in that I would love WHFB to make a return! I think I might know what you mean on the ghost painting tutorial, I'll see what I can find....

@Kassill always love a long-time lurker taking the plunge and signing up, welcome! I'd definitely love to see another painting log

@Veland welcome back! WHFB still holds a special place for me, so please keep us updated on your army 🦇

@Gederas wow I didn't realise there were so many tutorials...it might be easier if you collect an initial set of URLs (if you don't mind) and message me, and we can work out the best way to include them

Reactions: Gederas

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
@Disciple of Nagash I had a few ideas regarding painting & converting showcases.

First one is related to the past Golden Bat competitions. There have been some amazing entries through the years and IMO it would be a shame if the results and the related threads would stay burried beneath newer posts. I thought we could make a sticky with an overview of all the winners (something similar to this thread - Turning the World to darkness Hall Of Infamy - Carpe Noctem).

I wanted to prepare such a post - idea was to first include all the winners of all the competitions in a structured order (using the thumbnails so the post doesn't have an overwhelming number of large photos). After that, links to entry/voting threads would follow, again in a chronological order so one could easily navigate and check those threads as well, if wanted.

However, many of the image links in those threads seem to be broken (for example - Golden Bat 2012, which was quite extensive, but none of the links work). I was wondering if you perhaps have them stored somewhere or if they are salvageable in any way (hope they are not lost forever 😱)? If so, I'd gladly organize one big Golden Bat overview/showcase/index thread, as described above.

The other idea (or two) is similar to the first one. Thought maybe we could make one sticky for painting and one for converting, both showcasing some of the finest works that have been shown on CN over the years (and in the future). Because there was always a lot of amazing stuff which simply didn't enter Golden Bat, thus it wouldn't be shown/seen in the proposed Golden Bat overview. Again, if there is interest in something like that, I could dig through some old threads (I know where to look 😁) and come up with suggestions. Of course, anyone can come up with suggestions, I'm volunteering 'cause I find it fun, and would like to save some fine works from being burried/forgotten. Regarding that, is there maybe some sort of "Gallery" form option for a thread, or an option to implement something like that?

Let me know what you folks think!​

• Love
Reactions: Disciple of Nagash

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
@The Sun King - Brilliant! Great to get the ball rolling on articles again 😁 I'll have a read tomorrow, brain is frazzled from figuring out our new theme software this evening

@Raven Torrid - A superb idea! I really like both the ideas, and it's something I'm doing with the painting and sculpting guides, updating and reposting them. So if you're happy to do it, that would be great.

On the missing images, I'm not sure sadly. I can check what I've got but I think we lost some of the images when we transferred software a while back 😭

Kassill

Grave Guard
Sep 28, 2011
I know a lot of the old image sharing sites we used previously became pay-to-use sites, instead of "x" amount of free image sharing/storage. Happened to some of my old plogs on 40k forums etc. So unless those people have them saved on their pc or another site, or any of you saved those idk if they are recoverable....

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
On the missing images, I'm not sure sadly. I can check what I've got but I think we lost some of the images when we transferred software a while back 😭
So unless those people have them saved on their pc or another site, or any of you saved those idk if they are recoverable....

Good news! I just remembered to check the Entry threads for Golden Bat 2012 and most of the links there still work. 😃 It is because entries are posted by users and they use various hosting sites and post actual links to images, so some (most) of them still work. While in voting/results threads images are posted by Mods, and I'm guessing it was being done by using the old site's integrated hosting so once the forum software transfer happened, those images got broken.

Most of the images do have a Photobucket watermark (due to it's greedy move a few years back) but it's a small price to pay to have those images! I will include @mentions to every winner next to their respective works, so if/when they return they may see it and provide original images if they want.

Last edited:

El Syf

Vargheist
Dec 4, 2011
Eastbourne
It's good to be back! I'm on the TGA forum but always kind of preferred it here. How long have we waited for plastic Blood Knights?! The new models certainly do not disappoint as far as I'm concerned.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Hey @El Syf! Great to have you back 😁 Oldbloods are popping up all over the place....I wonder whether that should be a custom usertitle for everyone who was active before a certain point? 🤔

It felt like there were never going to give us plastic blood knights! Better late than never, and yep, happy with them as far as I'm concerned!

Which forum is TGA?

Reactions: El Syf

El Syf

Vargheist
Dec 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Hey @El Syf! Great to have you back 😁 Oldbloods are popping up all over the place....I wonder whether that should be a custom usertitle for everyone who was active before a certain point? 🤔

It felt like there were never going to give us plastic blood knights! Better late than never, and yep, happy with them as far as I'm concerned!

Which forum is TGA?
This one:

I generally only go on the death part of it though.

El Syf

Vargheist
Dec 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Cheers @El Syf - do you know what the community is like over there, reckon they'd be open to cross promotion?
They should be, all the people that frequent the death part are nice folk.
I think there may be some people that are members here and there with more stroke than me. @Sception (unless someone else is using the same username and profile pic, sorry for tagging if that is the case)is a member over there too and may be able to help more than I can. I did think about dropping a link when the email came through from the other day but not too sure on their rules.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu