• It's time once again to ferret out those murderous vampires in a new VAU - Vampires Amongst Us. A cross between Cluedo and a roleplay, sometimes gory and often hilarious! Find out more and sign-up! here.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
The vampires are rising once more! It's been a turbulent few years, both for vampires in Warhammer and myself personally. But I find that with the new Soulblight Gravelords, and finding there are still loads of people playing WHFB from previous editions my interest for the hobby has finally resurrected itself.

So, I've decided to make the attempt at resurrecting CN, and making no bones about it (...see what I did there?!) it is going to be a challenge. Lots to update technically, get the site higher rankings, get people using and posting content to improve us further and so on.

I'm not daft enough (whatever my missus might say) to think I can easily do this myself. So, I've already started reaching out directly to some the staff members, current and old. I'd love to see who is still around, who would like to come back and a shout out here to anyone who might be willing to chip in!

All ideas, input etc welcome! Please reply to this thread just to say hi, especially if we've never met!....on that note maybe I should do a re-introduction thread...

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Fantastic to have you back @Belladonna Voltaire (or just Voltaire for those who remember!), the old crew is getting back together! Plus I'm thankful to have someone helping who has a clue what's actually going on in AoS!

Raven Torrid

Staff member
Sep 3, 2011
Croatia
Coincidentally, after some 7 years of absence, I have regained interest in what was formerly known as WHFB (tho not sure in which of its new forms yet). Soulblight Gravelords releases surely played a part in that. So I have started lurking CN again a week ago or so, only to find it rather inactive. Was sad because it was one of the best online communities I was a part of. Glad to see this post and hope the night can be seized once again!

I plan to start posting again once I start working on my new Soulblight Gravelords or sooner if I make something worthwhile. Just stopped to say Hi! :)

Oh and for suggestions on how to revitalize the forum. Maybe reach out to Age of Sigmar, The 9th Age and similar forums, facebook groups and discord servers and proclaim the return? Maybe some fresh blood will succumb...

Malochai

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 4, 2010
England
It’s good to finally be back, risen from the grave to take a look at Age of Sigmar - I keep telling myself I mean to, and then something else steals my attention.
It’s been a long time coming, and long may it last!

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Well, we can certainly try to support the forum and try something.

I'll think to some proposal... the first thing that comes to my mind is that, with all the new models, maybe we can raise the painting competition?
And try to call some undead painter from other forums (Lustria online comes to mind)

Reactions: Kassill

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Coincidentally, after some 7 years of absence, I have regained interest in what was formerly known as WHFB (tho not sure in which of its new forms yet). Soulblight Gravelords releases surely played a part in that. So I have started lurking CN again a week ago or so, only to find it rather inactive. Was sad because it was one of the best online communities I was a part of. Glad to see this post and hope the night can be seized once again!

I plan to start posting again once I start working on my new Soulblight Gravelords or sooner if I make something worthwhile. Just stopped to say Hi! :)

Oh and for suggestions on how to revitalize the forum. Maybe reach out to Age of Sigmar, The 9th Age and similar forums, facebook groups and discord servers and proclaim the return? Maybe some fresh blood will succumb...

Hey @Raven Torrid :D Great to see you getting back into everything vampire related and look forward to seeing you the forum. I really like the idea of reaching out, as well as your suggestion @Unas the slayer. I'm out of date on the active Warhammer forums, so if anyone has a list of them it will be a great starting point.

It’s good to finally be back, risen from the grave to take a look at Age of Sigmar - I keep telling myself I mean to, and then something else steals my attention.
It’s been a long time coming, and long may it last!
Very true @Malochai - long may it last and welcome back :D We can both learn about the Age of Sigmar, luckily @Belladonna Voltaire knows all about it!

In the meantime, and before I announce it too loudly far and wide, I'm going to do a technical upgrade of CN and fix some of the bugs and server issues!

Irisado

Ancient Vampire Lord | Siphoner of Spammers
Staff member
True Blood
May 22, 2010
Nottingham, UK
I'm still here and still moderating. I will happily continue to do this and to help out where I can. I know that I've mentioned this to you via personal message, but just to put it out in the public domain, I don't play any more, so content is not something that I can generate. I'm more than happy to reply to other members' contributions though whenever I can :) .

Malochai

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 4, 2010
England
Do you have a rough timeframe on the technical upgrade / trouble shooting at the moment? Not about to hold you to it, just to get a general idea

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
I'm still here and still moderating. I will happily continue to do this and to help out where I can. I know that I've mentioned this to you via personal message, but just to put it out in the public domain, I don't play any more, so content is not something that I can generate. I'm more than happy to reply to other members' contributions though whenever I can :) .

I've said it to you directly, but I'm going to shout it out here - a huge thank you @Irisado. You've stuck around and supported the forum all this time!

Do you have a rough timeframe on the technical upgrade / trouble shooting at the moment? Not about to hold you to it, just to get a general idea

Within a few days, got a guy already working on it!

Reactions: Malochai

Unas the slayer

Staff member
Jan 1, 2017
Northern Italy
Perfect, thanks for your efforts!

regarding the painting competition, it's @Borgnine the one that takes care of it.
The "current" one was pretty stagnant, so we could start anew another one.

I can spread the word on Lustria Online, Chaos Dwarfs online, EEFL...
Khemri forum is actually entombed beneath the sand, so i wouldn't count on it.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Great @Unas the slayer

Before we do that, I think it would be good to get some "fresh" content and conversations going, even if it's just something good to ready through.

@Malisteen has posted some great stuff I'm that I'm reading through and putting into some useful latest threads. If there's any other content you guys think we have we could revamp (:D) shout out!

If @Borgnine wanted to plan another competition that would be great...

The Sun King

Staff member
True Blood
Aug 22, 2012
Copenhagen
Sunny, reporting back for duty. <3 Great to see that the old gang is getting back together.

So what have you guys been up to the last 7 years? :) Personally I've kept with the hobby but stopped competing at the highest national level - now I'm mostly focused on painting, enjoying the process and playing with my friends.

I would love doing a new handbook for Soulblight Gravelords, but obviously need more time playing the actual army. All in all I will probably keep to painting threads and army building + tactics threads. And yeah, getting older means that I will probably not post even closely to the frequency as in my hayday, but yeah - it's good to be back :).

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
It's fantastic to have you back Sunny! My last few years has been a bit mental with failed relationships etc, but on the up and up now! Engaged, missus and a pooch!

I've been thinking today that we might have a lot of returning WHFB players who are unfamiliar with the differences with AoS. I've found some great content by @Malisteen I'm re-posting for ease - whilst a tad naughty in the short term it will benefit us to create new posts copying in old content where relevant (crediting of course) as Google will see it as fresh new content and start raising our rankings again. Plus it will hopefully be helpful to members!

So anything around an intro to AoS, key differences and etc would probably be really useful!

Otherwise, even just some new threads and replies will help.

Once we've got a little bit of content I'll start marketing!

Reactions: The Sun King

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
Yay, great to have you back as well MS....erm TMS, new name? What's TMS stand for?

So @Belladonna Voltaire / @The Sun King / @TMS / @Unas the slayer - any ideas for some updated content, something interesting to get people back.

I've got one I've started on. I love @Malisteen's timeline, I've updated the threads, but then I thought, I can do one better! I have all the old WHFB VC/TK/Undead books, so I'm going to create a master timeline (for those who still love WHFB) and also do the same for AoS looking at the various Death Alliances battletomes.

I was also thinking of "So you're new to AoS from WHFB", super high-level intro of the Mortal realms, and more importantly the current structure/options of the Death Alliance.

Any thoughts guys? I'd personally love something that explains the mechanics better to me. Like, what's these large scrolls with multiple units lumped together. Where have my strength values gone, how do I know if someone hits hard?! xD

Sception

Master Necromancer
True Blood
Sep 23, 2009
I'm quite busy this month with youtuber WarbossTae's painting challenge (minisception.tumblr.com/tagged/2021-summer-painting-challenge), but I do have some homebrew project ideas that might find a reasonable home here, the first of which being an update of the Legion of Sacrament subfaction to work with the new Soulblight Gravelords battletome. Other ideas include a 'Legion of Shadow' homebrew sblight glords supplement for a thematically closer take on the old von carstein bloodline than mannfred's legion of night; 'priests of death' homebrew supplement with a priest hero for each of the big four death factions in AoS, since that's a concept otherwise currently absent - each done as their own mini-battletome pdf with a page or two of lore, a timeline, rules, & hobby/painting section. At some point I'd like to do a full & proper AoS Tomb Kings homebrew battletome, since Mengel's extremely nice project was never updated to 2e and shows no signs of being revived for 3e, but a full battletome is a mighty commitment and I'd want to have some smaller projects under my belt before even really thinking about that.

On that topic, does anyone have recommendations for a good open source program for PDF creation and editing? I know GIMP can be used for that, but it doesn't necessarily seem like the best tool for the job. What was used for the old zine on here? Does anyone still have useful assets from that - background page textures, etc?

Otherwise I can look at updating my old timeline & overall death faction summary, that's definitely due for some revisions since I touched it last.

Edit: also, is there a way to update my username? These days I go by 'Sception' pretty much everywhere, or 'Gamesception' in the rare cases where the former is taken already, if possible I'd like to consolidate the identity here as well.

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
That all sounds brilliant @Malisteen

Homebrew projects like that are always interesting. I have all the old backgrounds etc from the old zine, so yep, happy to provide those. It depends what you want to do with PDFs - creation is easy as you just use something free like google docs and export to PDF. Editing PDFs is harder if you're not buying, if you have a Macbook Preview does a lot quite well as default.

You should be able to edit your username in your profile, let me know if you can't find it....and thanks very much for being involved!

Disciple of Nagash

Oldblood
Staff member
Feb 12, 2008
On another note - an ask if anyone has a little bit of free time. I think painting articles are ageless and we can re-promote them and use them as fresh content. Does anyone have any time to look through the Dark Arts and find some of our best?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu